Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The Dave posted:

It sounds like they had a couple of key scenes they wanted to film and no idea how to get to each one.

Thats most marvel films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Lmao so it's not a dumb but interesting mess like Mass Effect 3, it's a dumb pre-DLC Fallout 3 ending where there's a ghoul and a super mutant standing there watching the PC sacrifice themselves. Brilliant.

This really doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't seen specific footage covering it, but presumably Captain Marvel gets incapacitated in one form or another, forcing Tony to take up the gauntlet. Like we know she gets her hands on it, Thanos takes it from her and the two are struggling over it before Tony uses it. I presume Thanos bodies her and Tony is forced to use it.

On an unrelated but still spoilerific note Cap's shield breaking really sets the tone for how fuckoff strong thanos actually is. Thanos just literally beats it to pieces with his sword.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't know. Tony being the one to die comes off cheap and is in direct contrast to the growth he has had as a character. More so even now in Endgame when he has daughter. Like, what the hell? Captain America dying makes way more sense. Also lol at Cap now just loving off at the end to live a life with Peggy and letting Hydra prosper, and enabling Bucky's continued suffering as a Hydra super assassin.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ahahah it's so bad!

Caros
May 14, 2008

teagone posted:

I don't know. Tony being the one to die comes off cheap and is in direct contrast to the growth he has had as a character. More so even now in Endgame when he has daughter. Like, what the hell? Captain America dying makes way more sense. Also lol at Cap now just loving off at the end to live a life with Peggy and letting Hydra prosper, and enabling Bucky's continued suffering as a Hydra super assassin.

For what it is worth, I don't like it either. If they were intent on giving one of the two lead avengers a death, I'd have much rather they killed Cap and had Tony retire. Thematically it fits better with both characters, and Cap having his happy ending gets into the awful time travel issues you mentioned. They really should have gone multiverse if they insisted on that sort of ending, specifically to avoid the idea that captain america of all people sits on his rear end for decades not helping the world.

As a general rule I don't really like the whole 'heroic death' aspect in a lot of fiction. It feels like a cheap way to drum up emotion, and for tony particularly, it just feels sad that a character who has gone through all that poo poo goes out that way at the end. My only disagreement is that I'm fairly sure they'll have written it in such a way that he has to use the gauntlet, rather than being an idiot and offing himself when someone else could have done it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ahahah it's so bad!

Oh good. Well now I know the film will be good to watch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Caros posted:

This really doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't seen specific footage covering it, but presumably Captain Marvel gets incapacitated in one form or another, forcing Tony to take up the gauntlet. Like we know she gets her hands on it, Thanos takes it from her and the two are struggling over it before Tony uses it. I presume Thanos bodies her and Tony is forced to use it.

On an unrelated but still spoilerific note Cap's shield breaking really sets the tone for how fuckoff strong thanos actually is. Thanos just literally beats it to pieces with his sword.

But on the other hand, does the Hulk need two functioning arms? I'm sure he'll get better. Also,

teagone posted:

Completely agree with this. Cap dying over Tony makes way more sense. I don't necessarily agree with the entirety of "cap should have gone back and changed a whole bunch of history" but still think he should have bit it. Then they could have still ended on a shot of him and Peggy dancing in heaven or whatever for how much sense any of this poo poo makes. I guess RDJ was just gonna ask too much to come back for random cameos in phase 4 or beyond.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Completely agree with this. Cap dying over Tony makes way more sense. I don't necessarily agree with the entirety of "cap should have gone back and changed a whole bunch of history" but still think he should have bit it. Then they could have still ended on a shot of him and Peggy dancing in heaven or whatever for how much sense any of this poo poo makes. I guess RDJ was just gonna ask too much to come back for random cameos in phase 4 or beyond.

I really doubt this. If RDJ said he was just done after Endgame, marvel couldn't have done poo poo to force him to come back. By contrast, killing him off makes it a hell of a lot harder to have him cameo (though I'd be amused if he became the new stan lee cameo) in the films in any meaningful way. From a business perspective it makes more sense to keep your options open if one of your headline actors wants to come back and reprise the role somewhere down the line.

The choice of killing him seems like it is entirely for emotional punch. People like Chris Evans, but they tend to love RDJ. He also has a couple of supporting characters (Pepper, Peter and his daughter) who viewers can empathize with, while Cap would only have RDJ, Falcon and Bucky. If you are going to kill off someone for the maximum emotional heartstring yanking, it makes sense to kill off the most beloved character who started your franchise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Imagine the word "lmao" but it's scrolling, flashing, enlarging and shrinking, etc.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Caros posted:

Oh good. Well now I know the film will be good to watch.

Yeah now i gotta go friday when crowds will be full

Caros
May 14, 2008

teagone posted:

So I have some clarification!

Captain Marvel gets the gauntlet from Parker and they have a Marvel Girl Squad rampage through Thanos' troops which is going to make Incel/MRA assholes lose every single bit of their poo poo in a way that even captain marvel could not. Thanos knocks her out of the air with his sword and she drops it. Thor and Cap both show up to stop Thanos and get stomped on. Marvel shows back up as Thanos gets the gauntlet on, and she takes a punch square to the face from Thanos without giving a gently caress. He pulls the power stone from the gauntlet and blasts her away.

Tony is on the sidelines with his armor mostly trashed. He jumps on thanos and gets cast aside. Thanos smugly says "I am inevitable" and snaps, but nothing happens. Tony took the gems off the gauntlet (probably through some release since he built the drat thing) and is forced to snap since literally everyone else is unconcious and thanos would promptly wreck his poo poo and take them.

So yeah. You could make the argument that he probably should have just blasted thanos in the chest or something, but I can see why they have him go full desperation move.

Minor props to Scarlet Witch. She shows up and just completely bodies thanos. He literally stands no chance against her and has to call an orbital strike from his ship to get free.

Pretty much the entire last third of the movie has leaked online, so at this point I think I'll stop looking at spoilers and wait for my showing tonight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bad writing then. Carol taking a hit to the face and not even wavering is something I read earlier, and her getting blasted away so Stark has to suddenly snap at that point is cheap as gently caress and a disservice to the character imo. He's smarter than that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder how much what happens to Thor is based off the GOG3 drama of the last year or so

by having him gently caress off with the Guardians it basically opens Waititi to do GOG/Thor before they brought Gunn back

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Tony dying is the culmination of his character arc and the themes explored in the Russo movies. The line that defined Stark's character was when Cap asked him "would you dive in a grenade to save your teammates" and he said "I'd find another way to save them." The Infinity War movies put his ethos to the test and the last thing he ever does is finally give that question a straight answer: the right answer. The creation of Tony Stark is the beginning of the Marvel universe and the destruction of Tony Stark is the end. This is the only way it could have been.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, there's a grand total of two things in the Endgame leak that didn't make me groan.

First, holy loving poo poo, they FINALLY had Steve say "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE." They've been teasing that for seven loving years and they finally did it. I have no idea why they were being so coy about it in the first place, it's like the #1 thing anyone knew about Avengers prior to the movies.

Secondly, the whole bit about Wanda being nuclear pissed at Thanos and him just not having any clue who she even is, is legit hilarious.

that last one is totally stolen from the street fighter movie exchange between bison and Chun li

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Uncle Wemus posted:

that last one is totally stolen from the street fighter movie exchange between bison and Chun li

23 movies and 50 hours to pay homage to Raul Julia. well worth it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Avengers: Endgame: Come Back for Fantastic 4 and X-Men in three years

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am so wanting to read these spoilers but I am a couple days away from seeing it myself so I am torn.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

1stGear posted:

Avengers: Endgame: Come Back for Fantastic 4 and X-Men in three years

I dunno, how will people know who the FF4 are if you throw them all into one movie right away?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
If the spoilers I'm reading are right, hoo boy.

Ragnarok really does feel a bit pointless now. At least we got Jeff Goldblum being a delight.

Tony's death has been something they've been hinting at for ages, it stings but it is the natural conclusion for him. Natasha's death though... I was hoping Thor would regain Mjolnir and throw it off the cliff instead.

Steve going back in time sounds kinda weak and unsatisfying, but it would be so much better if old Steve was Stan Lee.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 23, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

As Nero Danced posted:

Steve going back in time sounds kinda weak and unsatisfying, but it would be so much better if old Steve was Stan Lee.

Oh man... its revealed every cameo is Stan Lee as Steve watching over the MCU to make sure they are alright That would have been a nutso twist

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Legit, the spoiler from last week that Captain Marvel takes them to fight Thanos at the start of the film and gets vaporized is more interesting than the fact that she seems to vanish for most of this film or not be memorable enough for people to describe what she's doing in it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Legit, the spoiler from last week that Captain Marvel takes them to fight Thanos at the start of the film and gets vaporized is more interesting than the fact that she seems to vanish for most of this film or not be memorable enough for people to describe what she's doing in it.

there is literally a line where she goes I am fixing every other planet so have funafter the opening

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh man... its revealed every cameo is Stan Lee as Steve watching over the MCU to make sure they are alright That would have been a nutso twist

Exactly, it would take them from being silly to being (still silly) jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
This is what happens when you film two movies back to back without a finished script and have actors flail around a green screen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Dave posted:

It sounds like they had a couple of key scenes they wanted to film and no idea how to get to each one.

That's not even a good excuse seeing as that's how North By Northwest was written.

Can anyone link to some spoilers?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there is literally a line where she goes I am fixing every other planet so have funafter the opening

oh my god

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Snowman_McK posted:

That's not even a good excuse seeing as that's how North By Northwest was written.

Can anyone link to some spoilers?

https://reddit.com/r/marvelstudiosspoilers

A lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over there.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
^ lol drat never mind

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love how everything about Infinity War being Thanos's story, how he's the hero of it and how compelling he is, is made meaningless because he jobs it right away and then the old Thanos from cameos is in the rest of it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spider-Man: Far From Home is apparently the capstone film for Phase 3 and the Infinity Saga as a whole, not Endgame. That seems odd.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A few things I’m lollin’ at:

-They literally only bring the dead people back and do nothing else, so 4 billion people wake up in an apocalyptic hellworld.

-Stark also squanders his dragonball wish and just makes Thanos disappear (from an alternate universe???) instead of actually fixing anything. Like, if I’m following all this correctly, they pull a straight-up Donner Cut and kill a guy who they’ve never met before and has no idea who they are. So, like, hooray for the alternate universe but this doesn’t help MCU Prime at all.

-Steve Rogers travels to an alternate universe and steals his own identity so he can gently caress a clone of Peggy. This raises major consent issues and is literally the ‘heartwarming’ ending of the movie.

Lol

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So basically they un-did a lot of the stuff, put Thor in space, and killed off RDJ because they're tired of giving him a percentage of the back-end?

If the leaks are true it sounds pretty weak. Hopefully the spectacle makes up for it.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Agreed.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

A few things I’m lollin’ at:

-They literally only bring the dead people back and do nothing else, so 4 billion people wake up in an apocalyptic hellworld.

This is something I was thinking about too. The world and universe in general is completely hosed up now- all the chaos that followed the snap still happened. And then the dusted people just pop back into a world that is radically different from what it was.

It's like they wrote themselves into a corner and decided not to write their way out for some reason.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also lol that they do all this via a method that doesn't even introduce mutants

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also where the hell is Hulk?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Again, if I’m following this right: Steve A travels to an alternate timeline and prevents Steve B from being unfrozen, then marries Peggy B while the real Steve B is trapped in the ice forever.

MCU redeemed if so!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

got any sevens posted:

Thats most marvel films

I was gonna say. Every Marvel film of the last 10 or so has just been a few unrelated flash cards of poo poo WE NEED TO SHOW loosely hung together by contrivance and bullshit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Again, if I’m following this right: Steve A travels to an alternate timeline and prevents Steve B from being unfrozen, then marries Peggy B while the real Steve B is trapped in the ice forever.

MCU redeemed if so!

Yeah, I don't think the Russo's really gave a poo poo about how their time travel component worked in Endgame at all. They were gunning for the easiest ways to manipulate audience emotions to get the biggest impact, regardless of whatever consequences or paradoxes happen as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Question, to see if I understand Captain Marvel's role correctly: Does she pull a Poochie in the first 10 minutes? "I must go, other planets need me" and then comes back in the last 10 minutes of the movie to get a participant trophy?