Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sir Gladu posted:

I know nothing about b-ball, but from what I understand after listening to this episode, the Globetrotters are to basketball what the WWWF is to combat sports, would that be right?

You have the general idea. There's not long running story here, but it's some good tomfoolery.

Edit - Sorry for the lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They also have teamed up with Scooby Doo, Batman, and rescued Gilligan's Island from plutonium fueled robots.

Sadly these were not the same incident.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They also have teamed up with Scooby Doo, Batman, and rescued Gilligan's Island from plutonium fueled robots.

I know you mean the Globetrotters, but I sorta want to see MBMBAM and The Generals teaming up with Batman, Scooby, and Gilligan.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I would be amazed if the boys didn't make it on some iteration of Scooby Do at some point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's a reason they call Justin "Hoops".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5wBFsTG9CQ

Also it is 2019 and Griffin loving busted out a Joe's Apartment reference.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 23, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

They were also on Futurama.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Travis: one time, I saw Harlem Globetrotter put the ball under his Jersey and then pretend he was pregnant and walk with it

Justin (in hushed, reverent tone): The Junior

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

FutonForensic posted:

Travis: one time, I saw Harlem Globetrotter put the ball under his Jersey and then pretend he was pregnant and walk with it

Justin (in hushed, reverent tone): The Junior

destroyed me

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Though this reminds me of how well the guys hide how giant of nerds they are. They almost never do deep dives into stuff like comics or scifi, but will occasionally pull out references to semi-obscure shows like Farscape or random Marvel characters. I wonder if they made an agreement at some point not to delve too much into niche stuff.

Well they've also mentioned on multiple occasions that they absolutely hate Nerd Culture and the idea of fandom as a person's whole identity. They talk about nerdy poo poo when it comes up organically but they don't go out of their way to bring it up either. That doesn't make them closeted nerds or anything though.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

showbiz_liz posted:

Well they've also mentioned on multiple occasions that they absolutely hate Nerd Culture and the idea of fandom as a person's whole identity. They talk about nerdy poo poo when it comes up organically but they don't go out of their way to bring it up either. That doesn't make them closeted nerds or anything though.

I mean, that's basically what I said. It's obvious how they avoid going too often into those topics, despite occasional mentions showing that they're fans of genre stuff just like their dad. I don't think they're trying to fool anyone about their interests, just that it seems they've decided it's not that interesting a subject to bring up that often. Even having been games journalists, mention of video games is pretty rare.

Though having worked in that industry, it's easy to see where their distaste for the fandom community comes from. Griffin's rant about Master Chief, his best friend, is still one of the best bits.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
They can hide how much they are nerds all they want, but Travis and Justin did get into a huge argument that had to be deleted from the podcast over whether a character named “Gooshie” existed in the television series Quantum Leap.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can't believe how well these guys who have a D&D podcast hide being nerds

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

creationist believer posted:

They can hide how much they are nerds all they want, but Travis and Justin did get into a huge argument that had to be deleted from the podcast over whether a character named “Gooshie” existed in the television series Quantum Leap.

No they were arguing over whether he was ever a hologram(he absolutely was in one episode where Sam accidentally prevented Al surviving Vietnam)

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

No they were arguing over whether he was ever a hologram(he absolutely was in one episode where Sam accidentally prevented Al surviving Vietnam)

My post would have been better if I had been played by a horse the entire time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

showbiz_liz posted:

Well they've also mentioned on multiple occasions that they absolutely hate Nerd Culture and the idea of fandom as a person's whole identity. They talk about nerdy poo poo when it comes up organically but they don't go out of their way to bring it up either.

Yeah this is a very good thing for them to preach. I think they first mentioned it around episode 100 which pre-dates Gamergate by a couple of years.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I first listened to The Gooshie Episode while in the middle of heavy traffic at midnight during a 3 hour road trip and I felt like I was losing my mind the whole time

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This is easy to assert and difficult to defend, but The Gushie Tapes might be their finest hour.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

justin also went really hard on that one guy with the bigfoot story at one of the live shows, basically saying "stop asking us these bullshit whimsical questions, talk about real poo poo, it's 2019, everything is horrible"

so it may just be that they want mbmbam to stick to general topics and not nerd stuff, sports stuff, wacky stuff, etc. it gives people too much of an off-ramp to try to 'impress' the mcelroys instead of just being genuine

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wonder if they made an agreement at some point not to delve too much into niche stuff.

Abso-loving-lutely not.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1121074578330193920

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Possibly if dreamworks says no, but this weirdness would likely be a draw for the late night circuit.

Who do they have doing the reenactment? The voices sound super familiar, but I can’t place them.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Warbird posted:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Possibly if dreamworks says no, but this weirdness would likely be a draw for the late night circuit.

Who do they have doing the reenactment? The voices sound super familiar, but I can’t place them.

magic tavern

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why do they want to go on Fallon instead of something good.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Fallon seems like he has lower standards, he might buy into some weird internet shenanigans.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah. He probably needs the boys more than Colbert or Kimmel.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
oh my god

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Farg posted:

magic tavern

Yup, had to pause for a meeting and just hit the credits. I need to catch back up on that show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Fallon seems like he has lower standards, he might buy into some weird internet shenanigans.

He'll also laugh hysterically at anything they say whether he gets it or not.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

to this day i could not tell you the difference between jimmy fallon and jimmy kimmel

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kidcoelacanth posted:

to this day i could not tell you the difference between jimmy fallon and jimmy kimmel

For me I always forget the other dude Fallon was ok SNL with.

The Mango.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
gently caress! Chris Kattan!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Christ Kattan

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
How could you forget Chris Kattan? Years later, he would grow a beard and take on the challenging role of Travis McElroy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Holy poo poo.

Chris Kattan will be in MBMBAM 2

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1121111314204643329

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes I wonder if Justin is stronger than Thanos

It's a foolish thought. He clearly is.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

"make me a simpson"

I was laughing in tears in the supermarket. Looked like an arsehole.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The McElroys will fall up into the highest echelons of Hollywood at this rate, it's insane

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The McElroy brothers bothering Joel is my new favorite podcast format.

I don't want them to do it too much because I'm sure he's a very busy guy and I don't want him to be genuinely annoyed, but I hope this continues to be a thing they do maybe once or twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The McElroy brothers bothering Joel is my new favorite podcast format.

I don't want them to do it too much because I'm sure he's a very busy guy and I don't want him to be genuinely annoyed, but I hope this continues to be a thing they do maybe once or twice a year.

Not that busy anymore...