Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

pooch516 posted:

Lol the last chapter ends with the narrator telling you to stop reading because anything you imagine will be better than the ending.

Skeleton King posted:

the last chapter of the dark tower is so bad that stephen king prefaces the chapter by telling the reader to stop reading because of how unsatisfied you will be.

Imagine anyone else, in any profession, having so much clout and goodwill that you could get away this.

Like if a movie had a title card and the house lights came up and they said "you should probably leave because this ending sucks, we'll give you five minutes to gather your snacks and exit the theater before resuming".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

My little birds are telling me that Episode 3 "will make the Red Wedding look like a rehearsal dinner."

the night king kills everyone and the final 3 episodes are a montage of the night king conquering everything set to smash mouths allstar

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ASenileAnimal posted:

the night king kills everyone and the final 3 episodes are a montage of the night king conquering everything set to smash mouths allstar

This would utterly redeem everything bad in this series, so ofc it won't happen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ASenileAnimal posted:

the night king kills everyone and the final 3 episodes are a montage of the night king conquering everything set to smash mouths allstar The Snow Miser Song

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The best part is that the unsullied are a historical equivalent to the silver shields, of Alexander the Great fame. So badass that the Seleucids copied them and made a similar infantry corps. Roman Emperor Severus made a cavalry regiment based off of them. In the books their battle armor comes off as a hybrid of Greek/Roman stuff.

Really they should look like the guys from 300 actually wearing armor and all we got was the most ersatz version possible with the goofiest LARP armor I've seen.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tyrion really did show character development

as his dick no longer functions.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Really they should look like the guys from 300 actually wearing armor and all we got was the most ersatz version possible with the goofiest LARP armor I've seen.
the light armor is actually fairly good approximation of how ancient/medieval infantry were frequently equipped in middle eastern climates

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

the light armor is actually fairly good approximation of how ancient/medieval infantry were frequently equipped in middle eastern climates

No, not really. At least in the Middle Ages, Middle Eastern soldiers were equipped with metal and padded cloth armor in various combinations the same as soldiers in Europe. And the Middle Eastern climate, discounting the desert and the Arabian peninsula isn't really that much different from what you get anywhere else in the Mediterranean. And generally people avoided doing anything in the desert if they could.

And leather armor as it so often shows up is more a thing in DnD then than it ever was in reality.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 23, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
they used mail but it was less common. a lot of their armies significantly emphasized light cavalrymen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

they used mail but it was less common. a lot of armies significantly emphasized light cavalrymen.

Mail was very common. You are buying into common misconceptions.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
have we ever seen what the time window is on a white walker turning a dead body? do they have to be killed by a walker? if not, how long can they be dead before being reanimated? what's the most decayed corpse we've seen get reanimated? i don't remember enough to predict if the Stark Crypt is gonna rise up or not.

basically, does the Night King have to actually kill Bran, or could he just wait for him to die of starvation or smallpox etc then swoop in and take all his sweet 3-Eyed Raven powers? assuming, of course, there is any consistency in this show's zombie magic.

also i want want out of this show is to see Lyanna Mormont gently caress up a white walker. just one would be enough. it's crazy that a literal child is out-acting the ostensible main character of this show. let her murder something.

p.s. plz give my man Tormond a fitting death.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 23, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How are the Unsullied not freezing their butts off in Winterfell? All the locals, born and bred in the northern climate, are wearing thick furs. The Unsullied are from a warm climate and have upgraded from bare arms to sleeves.

They should all be huddled around the fires wrapped in blankets as they wait for the battle. Yeah they are bad asses, but they are still human. It takes time to acclimatize.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unsullied are gonna be dropping their swords when they all get frostbite from being dumbasses.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

have we ever seen what the time window is on a white walker turning a dead body? do they have to be killed by a walker? if not, how long can they be dead before being reanimated? what's the most decayed corpse we've seen get reanimated? i don't remember enough to predict if the Stark Crypt is gonna rise up or not.

basically, does the Night King have to actually kill Bran, or could he just wait for him to die of starvation or smallpox etc then swoop in and take all his sweet 3-Eyed Raven powers? assuming, of course, there is any consistency in this show's zombie magic.

also i want want out of this show is to see Lyanna Mormont gently caress up a white walker. just one would be enough. it's crazy that a literal child is out-acting the ostensible main character of this show. let her murder something.

the last three-eyed raven turned into a tree and seemed to be 1000 years old, I dont think they die naturally, plus they can warg into whatever

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I haven't seen a single cataphract cavalry unit, wtf

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Grey worm looks kinda sullied all the time am I touching upon one of this shows grand arch plots I hope so it sucks

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't leather armor basically just a fantasy thing? I know leather was used to protect some parts of the body, but the kind of full leather bondage gear body armor the unsullied wear was never really a thing afaik.

It looks dumb as hell either way. Could a show with such a massive budget really not afford some breastplates for their extras?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Mail was very common. You are buying into common misconceptions.
since you've met me halfway with 'padded cloth' i'll meet you halfway and agree that parsing out relative quantities of heavy equipment ('common' vs. 'uncommon') is actually very difficult to confirm within the available source records. this article touches upon these issues and reaches several positive but simultaneously indeterminate conclusions.
https://www.academia.edu/20796560/Western_vs._Eastern_Way_of_War_in_the_Late_Medieval_Near_East_MSR_XVIII_p._301-325

Zane fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 23, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Supreme Allah posted:

the last three-eyed raven turned into a tree and seemed to be 1000 years old, I dont think they die naturally, plus they can warg into whatever
if you can turn a dragon, you can turn a 3-eyed raven imho. my friend, the Night King, wants those sexy cripple powaz.

also jesus chirst are you nerds really arguing about medieval armor. never change.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TenementFunster posted:

Lyanna gonna finally turn into a bear, right around the same time that bald guy transforms into a merman

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TenementFunster posted:

They mass-raised the whole Wildling camp as soon as the ghouls were done massacring them. And we've seem plenty of ghouls who were just skeletons, including those who ambushed Bran that were presumably buried in the snow for ages

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

bloom posted:

Isn't leather armor basically just a fantasy thing? I know leather was used to protect some parts of the body, but the kind of full leather bondage gear body armor the unsullied wear was never really a thing afaik.

It looks dumb as hell either way. Could a show with such a massive budget really not afford some breastplates for their extras?

Yeah I think layers of cloth was the go to for light/cheap armor back in the day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Boiled leather was used quite a bit in combination with cloth layers and metal reinforcement because a whole suit of plate armor was expensive as hell.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why build trebuchets? Aren't they siege engines? For battering down walls.

Just saying...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

since you've met me halfway with 'padded cloth' i'll meet you halfway and agree that parsing out relative quantities of heavy equipment ('common' vs. 'uncommon') is actually very difficult to confirm within the available source records. this article touches upon these issues and reaches several positive but simultaneously indeterminate conclusions.
https://www.academia.edu/20796560/Western_vs._Eastern_Way_of_War_in_the_Late_Medieval_Near_East_MSR_XVIII_p._301-325

The whole "Western Way of War" thesis that supposes that others did not seek out battle and did not equip themselves for it is kind of a bullshit one in my opinion.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bloom posted:

Realistically an infantry like the Unsullied wouldn't have poo poo for armor.

Ring mail was expensive and full plate was exceptionally expensive.

Most samurai movies get it right, along with occasional movies like Braveheart. 98% of your forces are going to be wearing the same poo poo they wear while farming. Lords and knights and their personal retinue are the only ones that are going to have real armor (think the full-time Winterfell soldiers with helmets).

The Unsullied having uniforms is just a testament to their price as a hired army. Based on their numbers no one could afford to armor every Unsullied soldier unless they were raiding it.

But also it's a dumb TV show where the only lords/knights to ever wear a helmet were the hound for one scene and the kingsguard for aesthetic reasons.

For 8 seasons we've watched Jaime and Jon and Brienne rolling into shitstorm battles with their hair and makeup on point.

TenementFunster posted:

also jesus chirst are you nerds really arguing about medieval armor. never change.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

The whole "Western Way of War" thesis that supposes that others did not seek out battle and did not equip themselves for it is kind of a bullshit one in my opinion.
if you read further that hypothesis is merely broached as a preface to attacking it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waltzing Along posted:

Why build trebuchets? Aren't they siege engines? For battering down walls.

Just saying...

Usually, but when you're dealing with a literal horde of zombies being able to squash some with 90kg rocks at 300 meters isn't useless. If they happen to have the high quality lumber on hand and the time to assemble them there's no reason not to build some long range weapons. They certainly have the man power, and busy dudes cause less trouble than idle dudes.

Ballista would probably be better tho. They know they have an ice dragon coming, and you'll never be able to hit a dragon with a trebuchet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Couldn't find a GOT trebuchet meme, very disappointed in myself. Did find a GOT door holder tho.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Realistically an infantry like the Unsullied wouldn't have poo poo for armor.

Ring mail was expensive and full plate was exceptionally expensive.

Most samurai movies get it right, along with occasional movies like Braveheart. 98% of your forces are going to be wearing the same poo poo they wear while farming. Lords and knights and their personal retinue are the only ones that are going to have real armor (think the full-time Winterfell soldiers with helmets).

The Unsullied having uniforms is just a testament to their price as a hired army. Based on their numbers no one could afford to armor every Unsullied soldier unless they were raiding it.

But also it's a dumb TV show where the only lords/knights to ever wear a helmet were the hound for one scene and the kingsguard for aesthetic reasons.

For 8 seasons we've watched Jaime and Jon and Brienne rolling into shitstorm battles with their hair and makeup on point.

You are right about the armor thing. Mail and plate was more common for richer soldiers, typically cavalry (and don't even mention how expensive proper warhorses were), while infantry typically wore cloth armor and wore metal helmets and such.

You are wrong in assuming that pre-modern armies, especially from aristocratic warrior societies, were to any significant extent made up of drafted peasants given poo poo equipment. That's simply not true. Medieval armies typically consisted of feudal levies which consisted of nobles and their retainers, knights and sergeants (exactly what this means is often a bit uncertain but often seems to be full-time or part-time soldiers of the low nobility), professional or semi-professional soldiers, in addition to that you had mercenaries (as the Middle Ages drew on, mercenaries came to make up a greater and greater proportion of armies as kings came to prefer relying on full-time, often foreign, professional soldiers rather than the conditional service of feudal levies) who of course also were professional soldiers.

As a rule peasants were not armed and were not supposed or expected to fight. The couple of exceptions to this, such as the fyrd levy in Anglo-Saxon England, pretty much always involved free, land-owning peasants, and then only the ones who could afford the equipment and train to fight. A thing you also see in some societies are tribal auxiliaries of various kinds, especially in the Middle East, with Turcomans and Bedouin, though tribal warriors were by no means rabble or forced to fight (often they'd essentially be recruited and paid as mercenaries, so the distinction can become blurry) and could be quite well-equipped.

Urban militias are also a thing that happened, especially in Italy and the Low Countries, though again this was not tied to the nobility forcing them to fight or anything like that. Typically the opposite in that you had self-governing cities that fielded their military forces by equipping (often quite well by infantry standards) and training citizen militias (again soldiers typically had to purchase their own equipment so it's the actual citizens, the burghers, who are part of it, and not just drafted rabble and such).

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

steinrokkan posted:

They mass-raised the whole Wildling camp as soon as the ghouls were done massacring them. And we've seem plenty of ghouls who were just skeletons, including those who ambushed Bran that were presumably buried in the snow for ages
yeah, but were they recently reanimated as musty skeletons, or were they reanimated as fresh corpses years ago and decomposed over time while in the service of the Night King? does reanimation stop decomposition?

I forgot about the Bran ambush, that's probably the best evidence that the dead starks could rise up, presuming the ones that attacked Bran were recently made into zombies. i realize I'm a moron for assuming there is some internal consistency to this outside of what the plot demands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Facebook Aunt posted:

Usually, but when you're dealing with a literal horde of zombies being able to squash some with 90kg rocks at 300 meters isn't useless. If they happen to have the high quality lumber on hand and the time to assemble them there's no reason not to build some long range weapons. They certainly have the man power, and busy dudes cause less trouble than idle dudes.

Ballista would probably be better tho. They know they have an ice dragon coming, and you'll never be able to hit a dragon with a trebuchet.

The trebuchet is slow loading and will hit a relatively small area once every lots of minutes. Totally useless against a mobile army. I don't think the writers actually know what they are for, just that they look cool.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are going to shoot pots of burning pitch or something like that out of those trebuchets.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

They are going to shoot pots of burning pitch or something like that out of those trebuchets.

dragonglass flechettes

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

if you read further that hypothesis is merely broached as a preface to attacking it.

So what do you want me to read from that article? Searching through it it seems to mention at several points that heavily armored cavalry were important and prevalent in Middle Eastern, specifically Mamluk, armies in the time period. It also mentions an author, David Nicolle, who I've read quite alot of throughout the years (in particular because as a teenager, I bought and read a lot of the Osprey military books, especially the ones about medieval Islamic armies) in support of the article's arguments, which having not read the entirety of it, seems to be about how Islamic armies of the Middle Ages weren't all composed of lightly armed cavalry who avoided battle and close combat, but included several different types of military units and warriors from many backgrounds, including heavily armed and armored cavalry who had a prominent role.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
YOu know what would be somewhat smart

If somebody remembered that Tyrion knew about the power of napalm, and had him order the meisters to make some. Which would require the writers to care about things like foreshadowing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waltzing Along posted:

The trebuchet is slow loading and will hit a relatively small area once every lots of minutes. Totally useless against a mobile army. I don't think the writers actually know what they are for, just that they look cool.

Yeah, I think you're right. Even if they have some large targets like giants the trebuchet won't be able to aim finely enough to hit them

Wait, how much damage does dragon glass need to do to deanimate a white walker?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfdHNjbYHU
That wasn't a killing blow, the white walkers are super weak to dragon glass. Instead of launching rocks they could launch bundles of dragon glass shrapnel. It will hit a bunch of them, plus contaminate the ground for any shoe-less zombies behind them.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

So what do you want me to read from that article? Searching through it it seems to mention at several points that heavily armored cavalry were important and prevalent in Middle Eastern, specifically Mamluk, armies in the time period. It also mentions an author, David Nicolle, who I've read quite alot of throughout the years (in particular because as a teenager, I bought and read a lot of the Osprey military books, especially the ones about medieval Islamic armies) in support of the article's arguments, which having not read the entirety of it, seems to be about how Islamic armies of the Middle Ages weren't all composed of lightly armed cavalry who avoided battle and close combat, but included several different types of military units and warriors from many backgrounds, including heavily armed and armored cavalry who had a prominent role.
well one pertinent footnote (73) is that "a history of mail armor in the medieval islamic world is still unwritten." technical capability says little about the proliferation of the technology in question. which the sources--from everything i've read here and elsewhere--aren't capable of readily demonstrating. and which will prevent any definitive resolution of the original question--'standard' 'eastern' vs. 'western' infantry equipment--at stake. e: but does make the unsullied armor seem within the realm of plausibility on the whole.

Zane fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 23, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

steinrokkan posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why wouldn't you just wear dragonglass armor?