Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

food court bailiff posted:

“I wish more characters were likable and relatable like my cartoons about witches” is not a take I expected to read here today.

This isn't the good zinger you think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Pick posted:

due south:
it's about a magical mountie whose power is derived from his kindness. great show.
Kindness AND good posture.

And a wolf.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
To be fair, that sounds like an awesome tagline for anything.

“Kindness, Good Posture, and a Wolf.”

I don’t care what it is, I’m probably going to watch it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

burial posted:

To be fair, that sounds like an awesome tagline for anything.

“Kindness, Good Posture, and a Wolf.”

I don’t care what it is, I’m probably going to watch it.
The wolf's name is Diefenbaker.

Leslie Nielsen comes in later as a farting Mountie who teams up with a ghost.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

trickybiscuits posted:

Great British Baking Show. Also: BBC living history type shows (Time Team, anything with Ruth Goodman), most of which are on youtube. Everyone is so drat nice even when they'e arguing, because they're doing something they really love.

Masterchef Australia is another cooking show with genuinely nice people. It's also insanely more complicated than the American show.

On the US show, every week they do an individual or team challenge, then someone gets a pat on the back for doing a good job and the judges eliminate someone.

On the Aussie show, each week usually starts with a two-parter. First a mystery box challenge, the winner of which gets an advantage in the invention challenge that follows. The top three cooks on the invention test will come back later in the week to face off with a professional check for an immunity pin. The bottom three cooks come back the next day for a pressure test, which is some insanely complicated recipe (usually a dessert) that they have to recreate perfectly, worst job goes home.

Then the team challenge comes. The losing team or teams come back the next day to cook for their lives in increasingly more elaborate and difficult challenges. After the team elimination is a masterclass with the judges and the week's special guest (if any) demonstrating techniques.

That adds up to 60-70 episodes a season in later years, season 1 had a whopping 84 episodes. The format has evolved over the years, so it's really polished now.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
a lot of these sound great but i'm not watching brooklyn 99. i'm kind of over michael schur, much less a schur thing about cops

food court bailiff posted:

“I wish more characters were likable and relatable like my cartoons about witches” is not a take I expected to read here today.

doesn't seem particularly crazy to me but aight

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Apr 22, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

quote not edit

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am having a difficult time thinking of any sitcom or comedy show character who isn't someone you would avoid in real life.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Most of the ones from Cheers.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Norm was a terrible husband. Cliff irritated the poo poo out of everyone. Fraiser was a pompous rear end in a top hat. Sam was a sexual predator. Carla was a saint.

Depending on the personality (read: just like him), Cliff could be tolerable. Sam had psychosexual issues, no doubt, but he is always there when a friend needs his help or support.

"Coach" Pantuso would be a great mentor and could help (in a roundabout way) if you had a problem, but being friends outside of the bar is tough because he tends to get clingy, and fast. Because he has no social life/is very lonely. S2

I'd go with anyone on the Satellite of Love (MST3k). For all of their ridiculousness, there's a genuine warmth between them - even when tormenting Mike or Jonah.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Norm's whole deal is that while sure he was awful to his wife dude had a magnetic personality and everyone loved being around him
Cliff could be fun to be around with as long as you were two thirds of the way to fall down drunk
Sam yeah was a good friend but you wouldn’t want to be around him if there were women around
Frasier would be my bestest friend

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Norm talked a lot of smack, but they always showed that he really did love his wife.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Coach was no angel. He threw himself down a flight of stairs to trick a woman into taking him home out of pity

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Calaveron posted:

Norm's whole deal is that while sure he was awful to his wife dude had a magnetic personality and everyone loved being around him
Cliff could be fun to be around with as long as you were two thirds of the way to fall down drunk
Sam yeah was a good friend but you wouldn’t want to be around him if there were women around
Frasier would be my bestest friend

Woody did nothing wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Woody did nothing wrong.

He did sex to Kelly before they were married making them sinners unto god.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Imagine this could have a fair amount of stuff that would make this thread

http://mentalfloss.com/article/577502/abc-afterschool-special-history?fbclid=IwAR07gCG8JFKLNK6LV35BEY0qUrDAmXlksRCBvqENmPl5XKKsOESgFnu-y4I

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Sir Lemming posted:

This is why I've come to appreciate the work of Hayao Miyazaki more and more. He can make a movie where everyone is more or less a good person and treats each other with respect 99% of the time and still make it interesting. Too bad he didn't do sitcoms.

That's a good call: there's drat few shows where people can conflict or disagree without at least one side being flagged as an rear end in a top hat / manipulative / insane / deluded / in the wrong / etc.

For all its failures, the Battlestar Galactica reboot has a few instances where competent well-intentioned people tear into each other because they just don't see things that same way. The attempted mutiny is excellent in this regard.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Battlestar Galactica had no failures unless you're talking about the last two seasons.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

a lot of these sound great but i'm not watching brooklyn 99. i'm kind of over michael schur, much less a schur thing about cops

doesn't seem particularly crazy to me but aight

I would second Due South in a heartbeat. I think I would go as far to say it is my favourite show of all time. I utterly adore it and can second that the lead character is wholesome and polite and lovely and just the best! :D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Due South is delightful.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is one thing that’s bad about Due South: it might make someone think that the real RCMP are good guys

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i treat "good cops" in media that i enjoy (like columbo) the same way i treat other fantasy creatures like elves

it's the only way for me to reconcile my love of the mystery genre with my hatred of cops irl

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

trickybiscuits posted:

Great British Baking Show. Also: BBC living history type shows (Time Team, anything with Ruth Goodman), most of which are on youtube. Everyone is so drat nice even when they'e arguing, because they're doing something they really love.

O/T but Ruth Goodman has written a couple of social histories which are very much in keeping with her interest in living as people would have done at the time; I've read the Tudor and the Victorian one and they were both really interesting.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Fun fact: Paul Gross went to the same school I did in England. Don't remember him at all.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Pookah posted:

O/T but Ruth Goodman has written a couple of social histories which are very much in keeping with her interest in living as people would have done at the time; I've read the Tudor and the Victorian one and they were both really interesting.
Last night a friend of mine got How to Misbehave in Elizabethan England from the library. She spends like ten pages writing about how to make fun of someone by imitating the way they walked. Highly recommended.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is one thing that’s bad about Due South: it might make someone think that the real RCMP are good guys
Later on in a TV movie Paul Gross played that Mountie that killed his wife.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Battlestar Galactica had no failures unless you're talking about the last two seasons.

BSG was great end to end. The only thing they should have done (and Ronald Moore admits as much) is to include the Cult of Adam, which was an obvious loose thread.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BSG might as well have had "THIS IS A 9/11 METAPHOR!" flashing on the screen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Due South is delightful.

Oh, but no need for the pilot, it's kind of slow and just establishes "hey there's a Mountie in Chicago!" which tbh is silly but who cares? The premise isn't that complicated so you can just step right in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwOhWSLAIFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ab5_U--DE4

Pick has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Apr 23, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Northern Exposure.

Oh, and the West Wing is pretty good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

BSG was great end to end. The only thing they should have done (and Ronald Moore admits as much) is to include the Cult of Adam, which was an obvious loose thread.

What would the Cult of Adam have been?

The writing was really tight in those first 2 seasons, but it felt like poo poo started wandering in season 3. Not knowing whether the guy next to you was a Cylon was intense. Realizing everyone is a Cylon and oh, by the way so are you, was not that intense.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sounds like you people need to watch some Joe Pera Talks With You

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

What would the Cult of Adam have been?

The writing was really tight in those first 2 seasons, but it felt like poo poo started wandering in season 3. Not knowing whether the guy next to you was a Cylon was intense. Realizing everyone is a Cylon and oh, by the way so are you, was not that intense.

Duh, my bad. It’s Daniel, not Adam.

When Ellen Tigh resurrects on Cavil’s resurrection ship, they discuss how she created the Cylons. They mention a very nice friendly special model she made named Daniel that Cavil hated for being friendly with humans, and that Cavil boxed or destroyed Daniel. It’s meant to be a complete throwaway to develop their relationship, but hinting at another unseen Cylon model obviously got people’s attention.

The Cult of Daniel is a (disproved) fan theory that all of Starbuck’s visions and ideas are from Daniel, that he was her father and taught her to play All Along The Watchtower. It changes very little, it’s just a very neat tidying up that puts the show’s cosmology together very well. It’s disproved because it got so popular in the run up to the finale that Ronald D. Moore put out a note saying that it wasn’t true, that Daniel wasn’t part of the show’s mysteries, and that Moore wishes he had put in Daniel because it fits so well. Instead we got “Starbuck’s an angel maybe? shrug.”

I like the emphasis on religion and faith in BSG, it’s well done. Daniel is just an obvious opportunity they missed to tie things together much better than they ended up doing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alaois posted:

I second this. Joe is just such a pure person.

His love of Baba O'Riley is so relatable.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Oh, and the West Wing is pretty good.

bah, west wing's neo-liberalism conquers all schtick is part of the reason we're in this mess today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alaois posted:

At the very least watch "Joe Pera Reads You the Church Announcements" which has probably the best use of Baba O'Riley on a TV show.

For those who haven't heard of the show, the premise is that Joe Pera (played by comedian Joe Pera) is a middle school choir teacher in northern Michigan who somehow has a TV show and each episode is supposed to be about Joe teaching you something but instead gets derailed by the goings on in his town. Like the first episode "Joe Pera Shows You Iron" is supposed to be Joe telling you all about iron mining in Michigan but instead becomes about how some local teens put a For Sale sign in his yard and a new family in town wants to look at his house and puts a bid in. Joe has to decide whether or not he is morally/legally obliged to sell them his house.

It is a very funny show and wonderful just for how it is able to be so hilarious but never mean. Joe is a very naive and goodhearted man but the show never makes fun of him for being nice. It is basically anti-cringe humor, like the aforementioned church episode where Joe starts singing Baba O'Riley at church, instead of anyone telling him to shut up or making a scene everyone just joins in.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Chiming in to say that Joe Pera’s show is great. The West Wing is the opposite of great

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I was reading about what’s happening in Ukraine earlier and my first thought was that Aaron Sorkin must be so jealous that he didn’t get to be president off one of his miserable TV shows

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

When Ellen Tigh resurrects on Cavil’s resurrection ship, they discuss how she created the Cylons. They mention a very nice friendly special model she made named Daniel that Cavil hated for being friendly with humans, and that Cavil boxed or destroyed Daniel. It’s meant to be a complete throwaway to develop their relationship, but hinting at another unseen Cylon model obviously got people’s attention.

The Cult of Daniel is a (disproved) fan theory that all of Starbuck’s visions and ideas are from Daniel, that he was her father and taught her to play All Along The Watchtower. It changes very little, it’s just a very neat tidying up that puts the show’s cosmology together very well. It’s disproved because it got so popular in the run up to the finale that Ronald D. Moore put out a note saying that it wasn’t true, that Daniel wasn’t part of the show’s mysteries, and that Moore wishes he had put in Daniel because it fits so well. Instead we got “Starbuck’s an angel maybe? shrug.”

I like the emphasis on religion and faith in BSG, it’s well done. Daniel is just an obvious opportunity they missed to tie things together much better than they ended up doing.

Yes, the religion/mythos aspect was nicely put together. They cribbed a lot from ancient Greece, but still put in a significant amount of effort fleshing out Caprican society. It sucks it all dead-ended with one spin-off show. I want my prequel with old school Cylons that are all different heights.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Joe Pera talks you back to sleep is the most wonderful piece of media I’ve ever witnessed and I dare not rewatch it because I feel it would not live up to my first time watching it

Calaveron has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Apr 24, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

What was stopping them? Why couldn't they just accept this fan theory as a better idea than what they had, and run with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I loved that show as a kid. I also confused a lot of what happened in Northern Exposure with Twin Peaks because I was pretty young when I watched them. On my first rewatch of Twin Peaks about 8 yeas ago I was a little confused how an old astronaut that owned the town would fit in.