Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Would be nice if they would release a pokemon game for pc.
something like pokemon go but where you didn't have to walk anywhere and can continue to be fat and lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Giovanni is cool, he invented Rhyperior and dropkicks pokeballs instead of throwing them.

I'm going to need clarification on this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ragedx posted:

something like pokemon go but where you didn't have to walk anywhere and can continue to be fat and lazy
Pokemon TCG is all you're gonna get as long as Nintendo's still in the console making business.

also rhyperior is fine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ragedx posted:

Back in the day there were a ton of mostly flash based Pokemon games you could play on fansites, with multiplayer and everything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oddium posted:

rhydon is top tier monster design

All the Fake Kaiju designs are D-List Ultraman monsters at best.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know if i've posted about it before, but i like gen 2 a whole lot especially due to team rocket mostly just fumbling around and doing weird bullshit to make ends meet or try and get giovanni's attention to get him to come back. it gives it a more relaxed feeling so you, the player, can just sort of focus on the ambience.

I like the concept a hell of a lot better than the execution. It just means you're spending a good chunk of the late game fighting pathetic Rocket Grunts in both the Mahogany Hideout and Radio Tower and it really drags the game to a crawl. Not to mention they're pretty weak overall, only getting a slight level bump when you reach the Executives. Like Gen 2 is a really nice basic version of the Pokemon series we love, but it doesn't half make the game a snoozefest.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I honestly wish they had done sort of a fractured cell thing with the Rocket storyline.
You beat Giovanni? Well now Archer, Maxie and Archie are all vying for power in their own regions, with their own goal and some form of bullshit about how they're actually working for the good of Johto/Hoenn/Wherever.

So you could then escalate the stakes. Giovanni was a strong trainer, but he disregarded the past, Archer has always thought that Lugia/Ho-Oh were the true paths to power...

Not that every team should've been Rockets, I just think that Giovanni's fall could've been presented as a necessary but dangerous thing, rather than a deathblow that left a limping corpse of Team Rocket.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Rhyperior is the logical endpoint of the line going from top tier to merely average design with Rhyhorn to Rhydon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm suddenly imagining Giovanni as this Vince McMahon figure and gosh it works out well.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think it's sort of refreshing that Team Rocket just wants money and power with no real ideological justifications. (I guess some fans think they're "human supremacists," based mainly on a few lines from "The Legend of Thunder," but this isn't really reflected elsewhere in the anime; I don't remember Butch and Cassidy ranting about Meowth being subhuman or anything like that. And in the games, especially in Gen I, Pokemon are animal-like enough that Giovanni viewing them as tools comes across as general assholishness rather than a radical political stance.)

Yeah but have you considered: "Team Skull"? It's the same deal with a more intriguing concept. Also I don't really take the anime into consideration concerning the games. I'd completely agree with you I think the writers don't know what they're doing there.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 23, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Moriatti posted:

I'm going to need clarification on this.

It's from the Pokemon Adventures manga. I think the Rhyperior thing is in the HG/SS arc when he gives Silver the means to make it or something.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All the Fake Kaiju designs are D-List Ultraman monsters at best.

The fact they look like they could easily be shoddy Kaiju suits is what actually makes them amazing.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's from the Pokemon Adventures manga. I think the Rhyperior thing is in the HG/SS arc when he gives Silver the means to make it or something.

I believe it was Blue who got the way to make Rhyperior because he looked through Giovanni’s stuff when he took over Vermilion Gym

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Moriatti posted:

I honestly wish they had done sort of a fractured cell thing with the Rocket storyline.
You beat Giovanni? Well now Archer, Maxie and Archie are all vying for power in their own regions, with their own goal and some form of bullshit about how they're actually working for the good of Johto/Hoenn/Wherever.

So you could then escalate the stakes. Giovanni was a strong trainer, but he disregarded the past, Archer has always thought that Lugia/Ho-Oh were the true paths to power...

Not that every team should've been Rockets, I just think that Giovanni's fall could've been presented as a necessary but dangerous thing, rather than a deathblow that left a limping corpse of Team Rocket.

This would be really terrible. It'd make everything even more repetitive than it already is by making every team the literal same, ruin any interesting motivation (underwritten and stupid as it may be in Team Magma and Aqua's examples), and make the series even more reliant on Kanto when it already could do itself a lot of good by stopping shoving Kanto down our throats at any given opportunity.

Also the games don't need to constantly escalate poo poo. They already do, but they don't need to, since every game is a different protagonist in a barely-connected world anyways. If anything, going a bit back may even work, the genocide plan was by far the worst of the lot and the alien invasion ended up being much more boring than the simple but extremely effective plot of an abusive, insane mother.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaze Dragon posted:

This would be really terrible. It'd make everything even more repetitive than it already is by making every team the literal same, ruin any interesting motivation (underwritten and stupid as it may be in Team Magma and Aqua's examples), and make the series even more reliant on Kanto when it already could do itself a lot of good by stopping shoving Kanto down our throats at any given opportunity.

Also the games don't need to constantly escalate poo poo. They already do, but they don't need to, since every game is a different protagonist in a barely-connected world anyways. If anything, going a bit back may even work, the genocide plan was by far the worst of the lot and the alien invasion ended up being much more boring than the simple but extremely effective plot of an abusive, insane mother.

The games don't always escalate. Gen III was a serious localized issue that almost wiped out Hoenn, then Gen IV went all the way up to almost unmaking reality, then Gen V is a fairly localized issue again, Gen VI is worldwide genocide (which is somehow still a step down from Gen IV), and Gen VII in regular SuMo is probably the most low stakes ever since Lusamine isn't actually aiming to conquer the region and your plot is about saving her. USUM kicks it back up to a Hoenn level issue with Necrozma though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zore posted:

The games don't always escalate. Gen III was a serious localized issue that almost wiped out Hoenn, then Gen IV went all the way up to almost unmaking reality, then Gen V is a fairly localized issue again, Gen VI is worldwide genocide (which is somehow still a step down from Gen IV), and Gen VII in regular SuMo is probably the most low stakes ever since Lusamine isn't actually aiming to conquer the region and your plot is about saving her. USUM kicks it back up to a Hoenn level issue with Necrozma though.

I wouldn't say this exclusively but I tend to find games that concentrate on more region centered issues to be more interesting then the ones that go for full on worldwide effects.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
was looking up psyduck on bulbapedia and found this in the trivia section:

"Bulbapedia posted:

Junichi Masuda has revealed that Psyduck was considered for the role of Pikachu's counterpart in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! instead of Eevee, but it was ultimately not chosen due to it being deemed too similar in color to Pikachu.

:psyduck:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They're right, they do have similar colors.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ash's pikachu originally refused to evolve into a raichu because it was actually a psyduck

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ok but counterpoint is it would've made gen 2 better. I dont think every team should've been Rockets, but exploring their power vacuum would've been cooler if they took the rival teams concept from gen 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well then they should've dumped pikachu and had let's go psyduck let's go eevee

now THAT is a hard choice

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Countblanc posted:

They're right, they do have similar colors.

no, I get it, I just wanted to use the smilie

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't that third Pokeball Professor Oak had have a Clefairy in it?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How does one most efficiently power-level to 100? In Gen 6.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SuperKlaus posted:

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/236684/where-to-farm-experience-in-pokemon-x-y

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SuperKlaus posted:

in xy, i naturally hit 100 on my lead on victory road. i probably spent some time fighting guys in the mansion next door to the daycare but i don't recall ever grinding

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Guzma just bullying two Rocket grunts without even letting them get Pokemon out is the best. :allears:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Guzma just bullying two Rocket grunts without even letting them get Pokemon out is the best. :allears:

I like the fact it emphasizes Guzma could just go around beating rear end but insists on sticking by the stringent rules of pokemon battles.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Flopsy posted:

I like the fact it emphasizes Guzma could just go around beating rear end but insists on sticking by the stringent rules of pokemon battles.

Much like his main Pokémon, he abides by a strict code of honor.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

also I will never get tired of the fact that this cutie is the biggest death engine on my team that includes a pseudolegendary dragon

please mentally insert a pair of cute spectacles to represent the choice specs

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

The White Dragon posted:

well then they should've dumped pikachu and had let's go psyduck let's go eevee

now THAT is a hard choice

I wonder what special moves Psyduck would have gotten.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dungeon cousin posted:

I wonder what special moves Psyduck would have gotten.

the standard 80 damage moves of every type except with ??? after it and it can inflict confusion

flash cannon???

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

in xy, i naturally hit 100 on my lead on victory road. i probably spent some time fighting guys in the mansion next door to the daycare but i don't recall ever grinding

Yeah I'm pretty up there as I approach the X League but I have my customized breeding projects to consider. I think someone up-thread said something about "Blissey Bases" in ORAS?

Hey also thread if there's any one who wants to swap friend codes with me, I'm 3798-2728-5770. Let's be internet friends and empower our Friend Safaris together! There are many, many HA Pokemon I want to get and I'm probably beating the Elite Four tonight!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Much like his main Pokémon, he abides by a strict code of honor.

And that's why they're the best boys. :3:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SuperKlaus posted:

Blissey Bases in ORAS.

https://kotaku.com/why-pokemon-players-are-obsessed-with-blissey-secret-ba-1672871850

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

oh okay that sure was a mega mewtwo

God bless my Decidueye for her sacrificial Brave Bird.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I gotta say, I'm halfway through OR. But after playing Let's Go, Ultra Moon, and a little bit of Heart Gold: I'm pretty fuckin tired of the original 150.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
People don't talk enough about how great Camerupt is

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
she’s from gen III so it goes without saying that she’s great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nasgate posted:

I gotta say, I'm halfway through OR. But after playing Let's Go, Ultra Moon, and a little bit of Heart Gold: I'm pretty fuckin tired of the original 150.

Any more Gen I nostalgia in these games and I'm going to have a breakdown.

(Please look forward to Armor Mewtwo and Armor Charizard and Armor Charizard X in the upcoming Pokemon Sword/Shield!)