Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Craptacular! posted:

My boomer Mom loved the Clintons, and once described an appearance by Bill on the Letterman show where he explained some economic things in such a way that she felt she actually understood some concepts she never knew about. With some prodding, I eventually got her to realize that Hillary didn’t have that trait. Hillary reads you her prepared report in any subject you want, but you don’t feel smarter yourself in understanding it. You’re just left aware that she knows a lot about it and you stay dumb.

your mom is the average voter LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just have Peter Daou use his skills and form all the radicalized kids into a militia and let them wage guerilla war against the DNC and CNN.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

enrolling that kind of person tends to result in Harvard getting lots of money so really they are precisely the right kind of stupid for Harvard to want.

To whit:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1120818245429354498

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Silver going for the hot take record

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1120806730793988096

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Typo posted:

restoring prisoner's right to vote is unlikely to be a big issue in the GE imo

"open-borders" absolutely will be

I think the Venn diagram of who cares about those issues is a near circle.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Well, can't blame them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HootTheOwl posted:

I think the Venn diagram of who cares about those issues is a near circle.

immigration polls at 2nd most important issue during midterms, I would be surprised if "restore felon rights to vote" polls >6-7th overall by Nov 2020

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Peter Douche is feeling the Bern? What in the gently caress? Is this reality?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gresh posted:

Peter Douche is feeling the Bern? What in the gently caress? Is this reality?

His brain unbroke like 6 months after the election

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

"Find a wedge issue where the polling favors them, sensationalize it with lurid examples, and drive the media narrative to focus exclusively on this" is basically the GOP playbook so I'd expect the third debate to exclusively focus on whether Ted Bundy should be allowed to vote or not

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bernie is getting desperate.

https://twitter.com/brendohare/status/1120824453787783169?s=19

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'm not gonna lie, that's pretty funny.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

John Cena?!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Z. Autobahn posted:

"Find a wedge issue where the polling favors them, sensationalize it with lurid examples, and drive the media narrative to focus exclusively on this" is basically the GOP playbook so I'd expect the third debate to exclusively focus on whether Ted Bundy should be allowed to vote or not

see willy horten

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
the composite guy still looks like Eric Swalwell

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Bernie drops more than Biden in this poll:

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/1120673839489454081

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Voting rights for prisoners is indeed unpopular (just googled a poll showing it's opposed by 65% of Americans), but if we never advocate for unpopular positions, they can never become popular and will never get enacted. It's important to push for good moral positions, especially when they are unpopular. This is how the Overton Window is moved.

E: VVV A good point as well, I wasn't able to find polling by party.

Voting rights for prisoners just won by like 70% of the vote in Florida which is the most competitive state in the nation. Given it's large population and political balance making it a good proxy for the nation, it can't be true that the US is against by 65%.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

LinYutang posted:

Bernie drops more than Biden in this poll:

This tracks with the other poll that showed Butt eating a lot of Bernie's soft support

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The good news is that Bernie will get those votes back once the Buttigieg's Ben Carson effect wears off.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Charlz Guybon posted:

Voting rights for prisoners just won by like 70% of the vote in Florida which is the most competitive state in the nation. Given it's large population and political balance making it a good proxy for the nation, it can't be true that the US is against by 65%.

I thought it was for people released from prison not the people currently in prison

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Typo posted:

I thought it was for people released from prison not the people currently in prison

That's correct.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/sunraysunray/status/1120666744840957953

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pelosi is gone after the election so that's a good thing. What a useless ol' soggy.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

This tracks with the other poll that showed Butt eating a lot of Bernie's soft support

This, Butt could be a huge threat early on. I don't know how possible it is for him to actually win the nomination, but I can see him doing very well in Iowa and New Hamsphire. The top 3 in Iowa could easily be Bernie, Biden, Butt, in any order. Bernie will win NH but I think Butt could have a strong showing there too.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nonsense posted:

Pelosi is gone after the election so that's a good thing. What a useless ol' soggy.

lol she's not she's gonna stay on for at least 2 more years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/felons-voting-rights-poll_n_5ab2c153e4b008c9e5f3c88a

quote:

There’s also less support for allowing felons still serving their sentences to vote, something that just two states ― Maine and Vermont ― currently permit. (There is pending legislation in New Jersey that would make it the third such state.) Just 24 percent of Americans think those in prison for a felony should be able to vote, and only 38 percent favor restoring voting rights for those on probation or parole.

My greater point is that who cares what polling says, you have to take morally correct positions whenever possible and as long as they don't significantly hinder your chances of winning, it is both wise and moral to do so.

If we wait for justice to poll well, we will be waiting for justice for a long rear end time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Z. Autobahn posted:

Everyone but Chicago political operatives agrees that Ted Bundy shouldn't be allowed to vote. Charles Manson either.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Z. Autobahn posted:

Nate Silver out with this scorcher:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-can-win-but-he-isnt-polling-like-a-favorite/

He’s right insofar as if you only look at the polling and take the polling at face value, Bernie’s position isn’t great, but no one is making that argument?

Nate just needs more data. Has anyone shared these numbers with him?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Typo posted:

immigration polls at 2nd most important issue during midterms, I would be surprised if "restore felon rights to vote" polls >6-7th overall by Nov 2020

Only because they don't think it's possible or real.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Only because they don't think it's possible or real.

I somehow doubt it's going to be a central part of Bernie's general election messaging strategy.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So how does Bernie chip away at Buttigieg and Biden's support? It seems like no matter how hard he's out there campaigning and rallying all over Iowa etc his polling stays the same or declines as name recognition kicks in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

So how does Bernie chip away at Buttigieg and Biden's support? It seems like no matter how hard he's out there campaigning and rallying all over Iowa etc his polling stays the same or declines as name recognition kicks in.

You realize there are multiple debates and months before Iowa, yes?

It's only April of 2019.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The good news is that Bernie will get those votes back once the Buttigieg's Ben Carson effect wears off.
the good news is that polls are completely loving meaningless at this stage.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

These are slightly different things. Buttigieg is having the 'flash in the pan' surge that's pretty typical for a new candidate debuting on the scene; the odds are very likely his share will naturally decline within the next week or so. Biden is going to stay where he is until the actual debates, which is when we leave the 'name recognition' phase and things become much more in play.

More broadly, the challenge Bernie has is that he has extremely high name recognition, which makes his poll numbers much more 'fixed' than a lot of lesser known candidates. Butt can surge from 1% to 10% because that's just people discovering him. Bernie's base of support is stable, but his base of opposition is also stable. This is why his best path forward is that the other candidates split the rest of the support enough that he can gain frontrunner momentum with big early wins. He's never going to be pulling more than 35-40% in the divided field at the very best, BUT that might be enough to win.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 24, 2019

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017
Nate: TWITTER ISN'T REAL LIFE
Also Nate: This tweet Proves why Bernie Bros are going to ruin everything

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

I mean, I think Silver is right in the very general sense in that what I think Bernie offers, and what makes him more appealing than Warren, is much more of a systemic shock. Bernie winning feels like a repudiation of the DNC in a way Warren winning doesn't; it's not just policy, it's also rhetoric and perspective.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, I think Silver is right in the very general sense in that what I think Bernie offers, and what makes him more appealing than Warren, is much more of a systemic shock. Bernie winning feels like a repudiation of the DNC in a way Warren winning doesn't; it's not just policy, it's also rhetoric and perspective.

The poo poo thing about what Nate is doing is calling supporters "fans" and implying they don't actually care about progressive policy, just overturning the table.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Z. Autobahn posted:

It’s interesting. I wonder if say AOC could run this election and win whether it would feel like a repudiation or the DNC. She’s DSA and worked on Bernie’s campaign, and primaried one of the biggest establishment democrats in the House, but I don’t think it would have the feel of repudiation that say Bernie winning would.

Just makes me think of what causes that difference.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/1120860575381237760
How many times has she reminded us that she's a prosecutor? Someone should probably have a tally sheet for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Obama's book is particularly explicit on this point when he describes feeling like most of the ire between Republicans and Democrats was just a rehasing of old campus battles from the 60s. To a certain generation of Democrats, especially those ranging from their mid 30s to their mid 70s, Bernie is the embodiment of the kind of radicalism that they think they matured out of. They more or less define their political maturity as the recognition that better things aren't possible and that skillfully bundling corporate donations is the epitome of good politicking.

Sanders winning wouldn't just be a blow against their grifting operation, it would more or less imply that the entire political project they defined their lives and identities around was a mistake.