Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

YOu know what would be somewhat smart

If somebody remembered that Tyrion knew about the power of napalm, and had him order the meisters to make some. Which would require the writers to care about things like foreshadowing.

just soak the fields around winterfell in pitch, wait for the ice zombies to walk into the middle of it and have the dragons breathe fire on it you idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FogHelmut posted:

Why wouldn't you just wear dragonglass armor?

Obsidian is super brittle and sharp and oops everyone just got decapitated by their armor.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Obsidian is super brittle and sharp and oops everyone just got decapitated by their armor.

Seeing as how they make dragonglass weapons by forging it's clearly not obsidian.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. Even if they have some large targets like giants the trebuchet won't be able to aim finely enough to hit them

Wait, how much damage does dragon glass need to do to deanimate a white walker?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfdHNjbYHU
That wasn't a killing blow, the white walkers are super weak to dragon glass. Instead of launching rocks they could launch bundles of dragon glass shrapnel. It will hit a bunch of them, plus contaminate the ground for any shoe-less zombies behind them.

Oh yeah what we've seen so far does look like white walker and also undeads are basically a one hit thing against dragon glass and Valyrian steel. Sam kills the guy with a knife hit, Jon kills another walker by hitting him in the belly with the tip of his sword, both times they instantly shattered into nothingness.
So far same goes for undeads, one stab kills them immediately, probably even less, and they are about as inflammable as gasoline as we have seen the fire spreading immediately everywhere after having a flame mildly touching them.

They are not hard to kill given the right tools. White walkers themselves seem to barely pose any special threat either, as one lost to Sam because he was dumb and just wanted the kid and the other guy was a swordsman but also quickly lost to Jon.
They are basically comparable to regular living fighters so far, the main problem seems to be their numbers due to the undeads that basically fight like animals, often don't even use weapons and the walker's ability to resurrect dead people again, which happens remotely by having a guy raise his arms and even on great distance with no walker nearby, however the latter seems to require quite some time.

Well also they one hit dragons with a spear, so apparently this one shot win thing seems to go in both direction if the target is magic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Obsidian would be knapped. I suppose you could cast it if you could recreate volcanic conditions.

:goonsay:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Will Frodo make it to mount doom

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
A couple days later and I still find myself thinking about how loving awful the snow looked.

And whose bright idea was it to stick shards of dragon glass into the fake snow on the ramparts?

Lazy

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

WonderfulWino posted:

A couple days later and I still find myself thinking about how loving awful the snow looked.

And whose bright idea was it to stick shards of dragon glass into the fake snow on the ramparts?

Lazy

You know in case the zombies get their hands on trebuchets and launch themselves against the walls or whatever the gently caress.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Could they just grind the dragonglass into powder and fart it at the incoming army?

Goons Are Great posted:

You know in case the zombies get their hands on trebuchets and launch themselves against the walls or whatever the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR48a1kLx0w

They should do this but with zombies. Of course they won't because that would require them not to be a bunch of hacks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bloom posted:

Could they just grind the dragonglass into powder and fart it at the incoming army?

Make this man a general!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

well one pertinent footnote (73) is that "a history of mail armor in the medieval islamic world is still unwritten." technical capability says little about the proliferation of the technology in question. which the sources--from everything i've read here and elsewhere--aren't capable of readily demonstrating. and which will prevent any definitive resolution of the original question--'standard' 'eastern' vs. 'western' infantry equipment--at stake. e: but does make the unsullied armor seem within the realm of plausibility on the whole.

The proliferation of iron armor and weapons, especially in Egypt and southern Syria was mostly constrained by availability of iron, rather than technology. Typically iron had to be imported. Though this more often meant that you saw continued use of bronze and copper and some other metals in places less related to specifically making weapons and armor (bands for helmets, metal scabbards, some mace heads, and so on would often be made of bronze or copper to conserve iron for instance). That said, within the military elite, metal armor, chainmail included was common enough, and co-existed (and was often worn together) with many other types of metal body armor such as scale and lamellar types, and later also types of plate armor (though in the middle east, plate armor pieces were more common for arm and leg protection than for torso protection).

I have never heard of leather armor like that worn by the unsullied being common in the medieval Middle East. Leather lamellar corselets (though metal ones were very common also) were a thing, typically among Turkish warriors (and often worn over or under chain mail armor when it appeared), though infantry and lighter armored troops were much more likely to have armor made from padded cloth (as was also the case in Europe).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope a giant throws tyrion at some dragonglass.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is it possible for Ramsey to be reanimated as dog poo poo

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

So far this season was a grand reunion special, as such, yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bloom posted:

Night King dies of asbestosis off screen

A brave choice

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
a spinoff series like the love boat but each week a different bunch of celebrities show up to defend winterfell and end up having whacky hijinx while falling in love. Issacc can be the meister.

id buy 4 hbo subscriptions

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Obsidian would be knapped. I suppose you could cast it if you could recreate volcanic conditions.

Eh this guy managed to do it sort of:

https://youtu.be/CA3lIuN_zVE

tl;dr getting it to a workable temperature isn't an issue it's the fact that it's not a practical material to work with because it's basically glass if glass was an rear end in a top hat.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The skellies just want to very slowly stab people , I don’t see the problem

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

FogHelmut posted:

I saw one of those blacksmith youtube channels where a dude managed to melt some down and pour it into a mold but the result was unusable of course. Anyway you can see the flaking patterns on the dragonstone weapons on the show, I wonder how they made those props

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

bloom posted:

No... Dragon glass suppositories for all the brave warriors, so when they die and get raised they just insta die.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

what if they make the entire plane out of dragon glass

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i still cant believe peter dinklage showed up on set day 1, put on a Homer Simpson/Guy Incognito accent as a joke, and everybody screamed "nailed it!!!" and he just had to keep doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4Bk4Dv2m0

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bloom posted:

Seeing as how they make dragonglass weapons by forging it's clearly not obsidian.
it’s known as “obsidian” by meisters. i think it’s Sam or Tyrion says as such in season 2

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

i still cant believe peter dinklage showed up on set day 1, put on a Homer Simpson/Guy Incognito accent as a joke, and everybody screamed "nailed it!!!" and he just had to keep doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4Bk4Dv2m0
yeah this has always been weird

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Randarkman posted:

No, not really. At least in the Middle Ages, Middle Eastern soldiers were equipped with metal and padded cloth armor in various combinations the same as soldiers in Europe. And the Middle Eastern climate, discounting the desert and the Arabian peninsula isn't really that much different from what you get anywhere else in the Mediterranean. And generally people avoided doing anything in the desert if they could.

And leather armor as it so often shows up is more a thing in DnD then than it ever was in reality.

boiled

leather

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

TenementFunster posted:

it’s known as “obsidian” by meisters. i think it’s Sam or Tyrion says as such in season 2

Yeah they did use it as Synonyme for dragon glass at some point in the show for a very brief moment, so it's weird.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Repost: Yeah obsidian in the show is nothing like real obsidian. It can't be forged and it's brittle as potato chips.

You just gotta go with ~~it's magic~~

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is this show for real

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ethanol posted:

Is this show for real

It's bad

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ethanol posted:

I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it

Picture something good but then not like that at all.

[much like your posts]

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I mean why didn’t the eagles just fly the ring into the volcano from the start

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
wouldn't a guy whose balls were cut off lose all his testosterone and therefore not be very aggressive or strong or an altogether good warrior?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did it have to be Mt. Doom or would any volcano have worked? Surely the world has other volcanos that don't involve walking towards the monster army.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

fakeaccount posted:

wouldn't a guy whose balls were cut off lose all his testosterone and therefore not be very aggressive or strong or an altogether good warrior?

They're small and fast and skinny and hairless

[much like your peen]

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah I get it, it's a fantasy world with dragons and wizards but goddamnit i draw the line on adamantium swords. That poo poo isn't even in the table of elements, my suspension of disbelief is shattered into a hundred shards much like a regular iron sword hitting an impenetrable adamantium breastplate!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fakeaccount posted:

Your testosterone isn't all made in the balls. You ever see a post-menopausal woman with a fine moustache hauling around logs and pigs and poo poo? Plenty of T, never had balls.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 24, 2019

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want Jon to go to Ned's grave and just skullfuck any corpse he finds down there. This is for you, whore mom who brought about a war to get prince dick! This is for you, uncle who lied about me and made your wife hate me! Rickon, this is for you because you couldn't loving dodge!

I wonder if someone killed Bran and left his body out on a stick, would the NightKing go, oh, poo poo, okay now we cool, and leave back north?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Could dragonglass kill a white walker made of unobtainium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Could dragonglass kill a white walker made of unobtainium?

Only if it's +3 dragonglass or better DUH