Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Theris posted:

Wait, what? There's concessions/souvenir stands/restrooms under the stands and all around the track. The fairgrounds-style food stands on Georgetown are there for people walking to the track and Coke Lot campers/partiers the night before.

There are very limited concessions actually built into the facility with probably the worst and most expensive chicken fingers, fries, burgers, and hot dogs you'll ever see, but the vast majority of food and drink (and much greater quality\variety) are definitely in the food trucks and carnival carts all around the outside of the seating areas (but within the fencing) and inside the track. IMS suffers from the same issue many race tracks do, in that comfort and concessions are an afterthought. BYOB in a small cooler, pack all your food in, IMO.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Having done it every which way other than GA-only... I won't do uncovered seats again. A huge chunk of the seats on the front straight are either fully covered, or at least shaded once the sun moves a bit. My favorite seats on race day that I've actually had were down at the very end of Stand A at the entrance of turn 1.

The god-tier seats, which I'm pretty sure you need to marry into certain families to get at this point, are the E Penthouse seats. I've managed to get up there for Carb Day a few times and hooooooly gently caress I wish I could get there for the 500.

We started sitting in the paddock penthouse for the Indy GP last year and the difference between there and the stands is night and day. Covered, stadium style seats, plenty of legroom, restrooms on your level, and a loving ELEVATOR from the ground floor. Never going back to the vista decks after that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/ECRIndy/status/1120688988233371648

e and connor with the steel panel/rivet look:

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 23, 2019

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

More shark mouths on cars imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

More shark mouths on cars imo

This.

The chocks are a nice touch too.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
That's a fuckin great looking car

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

e and connor with the steel panel/rivet look:

Sweet ride

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1120684859389820928

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my favorite part of the split was some of the IRL owners shittalking CART teams only for Ganassi and Penske to moonwalk all over them

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/1120786275198558213

got drat, thats a good lookin car. reminds me of Robby Gordon's Cingular scheme from '02

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/1120786275198558213

got drat, thats a good lookin car. reminds me of Robby Gordon's Cingular scheme from '02

Oh man I loved that car

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

My experience at the 100th running was kind of similar to what you're planning:

Yes, it's hot. Yes, the place is swimming in booze. Yes, the traffic moves at a snail's pace (on the way out, it DIDN'T move for a long time). But it's a unique and a spectacular event that's absolutely worth the trouble.

P.S. Definitely obtain or print out a full-colour livery sheet.

P.P.S. Here's a neat seat viewer for IMS.

Thanks for the insight. The leave the hotel at 7 and get stuck in traffic until 11 is exactly what I hope to avoid on the way in hopefully by leaving the hotel at 6am and parking in some dudes lawn at 7-8am. On the way home, it is what it is. Good tip on the cushion, I wouldn't have thought to bring one.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

needs some :nws: nose art, otherwise this owns

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It'd be a shirtless Sage Karam.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

It'd be a shirtless Sage Karam.

I'd actually be completely cool with this

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Will Power's new livery owns.

bigbillystyle posted:

Thanks for the insight. The leave the hotel at 7 and get stuck in traffic until 11 is exactly what I hope to avoid on the way in hopefully by leaving the hotel at 6am and parking in some dudes lawn at 7-8am. On the way home, it is what it is. Good tip on the cushion, I wouldn't have thought to bring one.

Nothing to do about the way out and honestly traffic management, given how loving much of it there is, is something they do very well. Sitting in an air conditioned car going nowhere feels plenty good after the race anyway.

Ultimately, don't be too afraid to walk a bit. You're going to cover some mileage at the track anyway. We've had good luck over the years parking at the high school, Dotlich Crane, and random front yards. Did the shuttle from the airport a couple of times but the line to get back on the bus after loving sucks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah, this happened to me last year - left the hotel at 7:45 and didn’t get to the track til almost 11:30. We also tried to use Uber which seemed like a decent enough idea on the way in but was loving miserable getting out, since all the roads near the track are converted to one-way only until about 5:30 or 6 PM. Basically wound up sitting at a ghetto gas station for a couple hours watching drunk Snake Pit attendees attempt to shoplift and/or get in fights, until an Uber could finally make it near the track.

Also, bring sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, and plenty of water.

The whole thing sounds like a giant pain in the rear end, and taken in a vacuum it is, but getting to see and hear the cars fly around the track at 230 mph for a couple hours in person is something you have to do at least once.

Just bummed that I wound up attending the one race between Alonso’s two appearances.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 24, 2019

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Frond posted:

I’m gonna go out on limb here and say ‘96 was probably even worse than ‘97, honestly. The field was a joke and the teams were a gongshow.

oh well, at least those problems were fixed for '97

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Reynold posted:

There are very limited concessions actually built into the facility with probably the worst and most expensive chicken fingers, fries, burgers, and hot dogs you'll ever see, but the vast majority of food and drink (and much greater quality\variety) are definitely in the food trucks and carnival carts all around the outside of the seating areas (but within the fencing) and inside the track. IMS suffers from the same issue many race tracks do, in that comfort and concessions are an afterthought. BYOB in a small cooler, pack all your food in, IMO.

Yep.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sitting in an air conditioned car going nowhere feels plenty good after the race anyway.

I'll agree with that.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 24, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.dalejr.com/radio/tdjd/default.aspx

Will Power went on Dale Jr's podcast. It's a pretty funny listen so far, but at 43min he drops a big piece of info... windscreens are apparently coming next year.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the only redeeming thing about 1996 is Arie's laps since we'll never see the like of them again

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Space Racist posted:

The whole thing sounds like a giant pain in the rear end, and taken in a vacuum it is, but getting to see and hear the cars fly around the track at 230 mph for a couple hours in person is something you have to do at least once.

The attitude one has to take? Is to treat as if a
-Rock Concert
-Mardi Gras/Spring Break
-:911: 4th of July like parade/fireworks display
-Auto race

All combined into one single entity. So it's rather difficult to treat it like "just a car race". This is not me trying to channel my inner paul page and going :smug: about Indy, it's just the fact of the matter.

Honestly? It's why my father never likes going and prefers attending practice (or the ever so underrated GP). The crowds are...insane. But the payoff is often good. You wind up making a lot of memories with friends, family during the course of it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the only redeeming thing about 1996 is Arie's laps since we'll never see the like of them again

Even that was lame, imo. Arie was outqualified on Pole Day by Scott Brayton who'd set the track record. But because Arie's car was underweight, his qualifying attempt was disallowed. However, instead of disqualifying the car after failing tech, USAC allowed him to go again the following day in faster conditions. Effectively cheated to take the track record from a guy who'd turn out to have 5 days to live.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 2.65L era was pretty nuts in retrospect. Mo Gugelmin ran a lap at 242mph in Fontana circa 1997. Which means he was likely hitting 260 on the straights.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you watch Gil de Ferran's record lap at Fontana, he's leaving black tracks all the way down the back straight

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s May :hellyeah:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

dsriggs posted:

Even that was lame, imo. Arie was outqualified on Pole Day by Scott Brayton who'd set the track record. But because Arie's car was underweight, his qualifying attempt was disallowed. However, instead of disqualifying the car after failing tech, USAC allowed him to go again the following day in faster conditions. Effectively cheated to take the track record from a guy who'd turn out to have 5 days to live.

yes cheating is a wonderful part of racing I agree

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

devmd01 posted:

It’s May :hellyeah:

but...

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Testing rained out today.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I checked the weather last night, saw "oh, only 20% chance of rain".

Looked right now, only 30% chance.

gently caress you mother nature :argh:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Super annoyed, I even had my laptop in the car in case something popped up since I’m “working from home.”

Oh well, I got to see and hear racecars do a couple of laps, that’s always something to celebrate.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I tuned in to hear like one beautiful lap at speed and then rain. What a tease.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you watch Gil de Ferran's record lap at Fontana, he's leaving black tracks all the way down the back straight

Fontana 2000 was wild.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

love this scheme so much

https://twitter.com/12WillPower/status/1121064829308035080

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The wheels should be black too but yeah it's fantastic

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Robin Miller says that Mark Miles commented that IMS has less than 200k seats now. Other than tearing down that one segment of stands near turn 3, where else have they removed seats?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

Robin Miller says that Mark Miles commented that IMS has less than 200k seats now. Other than tearing down that one segment of stands near turn 3, where else have they removed seats?

They removed a bunch down low in the entrance to 1 ages ago. To be fair, you probably couldn't see poo poo from there. I think some of the reconstructed stands aren't as dense as before.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

By the way, we are green again with streaming video

https://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Sato already up to 224

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sorry, the rain is apparently my fault. It started right as I was getting back down to the track with my twin boys, this was gonna be their first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

devmd01 posted:

Sorry, the rain is apparently my fault. It started right as I was getting back down to the track with my twin boys, this was gonna be their first time.

You owe us cat pics as penance.