Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I hit Amazon’s “Problem with Order” button and it said I wasn’t eligible for a refund yet because I didn’t request a return, so I contacted the seller with the stuff Doom Rooster suggested. We’ll see if they reply, but I kinda doubt they will.

In the meantime, my tree is staked and watered and looks to be doing good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LongSack posted:

Am I the only person who didn’t know you could get cherry trees that put out different kinds of cherries? Hell, I have a (non-dwarf) Yoshino cherry tree and I’m not even sure it produces any fruit at all. How does the multiple thing work? Grafting?

Pretty much all fruit trees are grafted. Even if it's a single variety, the fruiting part will be grafted on to a rootstock, since the rootstock gives a strong plant with disease resistance and then you're guaranteed fruit that is true to type since it's a clone.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Awesome. Learned something today.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Pretty much all fruit trees are grafted. Even if it's a single variety, the fruiting part will be grafted on to a rootstock, since the rootstock gives a strong plant with disease resistance and then you're guaranteed fruit that is true to type since it's a clone.

Yup. Super common in most fruit tress, and the entire way apple varieties exist, because most apple trees aren't self-pollinating, so the seeds in the fruit will be a mixture of whatever variety the tree was cross-pollinated by. True to varietal apple trees come from grafts.

Stark Bros has an article on the basics for those interested.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I. M. Gei posted:

I hit Amazon’s “Problem with Order” button and it said I wasn’t eligible for a refund yet because I didn’t request a return, so I contacted the seller with the stuff Doom Rooster suggested. We’ll see if they reply, but I kinda doubt they will.

In the meantime, my tree is staked and watered and looks to be doing good so far.

Amazon will cover you, if they don't respond in some amount of time (72hrs i think) you can get paid back from amazon.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s a sunny day in London, so I am having a barbecue. While shopping for it, my children spotted that whole salmon were reduced, and being an all round amazing father, I now have a salmon for the barbecue.

My feeling stuff the cavity with lemon, dill and parsley and whack over the low coals until it looks done. Any hints or tips?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I love lemon curd, and I love lemon squares... it's hard to beat the traditional shortbread crust.

My two favorite lemon square recipes are from New York Times cooking. Your preference will depend on how much you like pistachios:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6960-pistachio-lemon-bars
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1725-lemon-squares

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Sous vide standing rib roast?

I've made prime rib in the oven before. I want to try to sous vide it. Has anyone tried that?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have sugarless flapjack recipes they swear by? I gave this recipe a go:

I added double the amount of bananas, and a generous sprinkling of desiccated coconut on top of the coconut oil. It actually turned out really good, a strong banana hit at the front, followed by a sweet coconutty finish, with a backdrop of sweet dates. It was amazingly light and fluffy with just the right amount of chewiness / softness. I'm really happy with it and want more recipes in the same vein as this.

I tried this recipe out and it was an utter waste of time. I used up a poo poo tonne of good honey on it, which is what the recipe called for (bye bye manuka), and skipped the lovely artificial sweetener addition. It was just a gooey mess that didn't even come out of the pan properly. In hindsight, I probably should have let it cool completely in the pan and then refrigerate so the honey solidified, but I thought putting it onto a wire rack to cool was a good idea, because the previous flapjack behaved nicely when I did this (it was not a good idea, a good 40% of it fell right through the wiring onto the counter).

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 20, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Scientastic posted:

It’s a sunny day in London, so I am having a barbecue. While shopping for it, my children spotted that whole salmon were reduced, and being an all round amazing father, I now have a salmon for the barbecue.

My feeling stuff the cavity with lemon, dill and parsley and whack over the low coals until it looks done. Any hints or tips?

Those flavors will all be pretty good on salmon. If you are leaving the skin on you should be good to do it on an oiled grate over low-burning coals, but if you are doing skinless I would recommend using a grill mat or poking holes in some foil and using that. It won't take too much to end up with dry, lovely fishm You are done when it starts oozing that mayo-looking fat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

You are done when it starts oozing that mayo-looking fat.

I read that brining salmon first will stop that. I did Sous vide salmon yesterday and it seemed to work. Quart of water to a ¼ cup of kosher salt, brined for an hour. No gross looking albumin ooze (it’s not actually fat, it’s a protein).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You don’t think very much of me, do you?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Bagheera posted:

Sous vide standing rib roast?

I've made prime rib in the oven before. I want to try to sous vide it. Has anyone tried that?

I did it once and it's pretty standard, leave it in the jacuzzi for a few hours to get everything up to temp and then blast the outside with heat to get a crust (I used a grill but a hot oven, cast iron, torch, etc all work).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Made mozzarella following instructions at https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/how-to-make-fresh-mozzarella-cheese-at-home-gallery

It came out just okay? Getting fresh mozzarella from particular delis, you cut into it and it just bleeds milk. Cutting into this right away still has that dry/rubbery feel of storebought. It isn't bad, but its definitely not what I was going for. Anyone have tips for better results? I'm already thinking that next time I need to put a steel bowl into a large bucket with my sous vide doing temperature control (or a double boiler, something) so that I'm not dipping into a pot of hot water constantly to keep things elastic, because i'm 90% sure I just bled moisture into the pot. That way as I'm stretching the mozzarella, any liquid that drops I can reserve easily for packaging.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have sugarless flapjack recipes they swear by? I gave this recipe a go:

:words:

Is it really considered sugarless if it has all those dates in it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

spankmeister posted:

Yes, because sugarless is one of those bullshit words like oil free which means effectively nothing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Made mozzarella following instructions at https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/how-to-make-fresh-mozzarella-cheese-at-home-gallery

It came out just okay? Getting fresh mozzarella from particular delis, you cut into it and it just bleeds milk. Cutting into this right away still has that dry/rubbery feel of storebought. It isn't bad, but its definitely not what I was going for. Anyone have tips for better results? I'm already thinking that next time I need to put a steel bowl into a large bucket with my sous vide doing temperature control (or a double boiler, something) so that I'm not dipping into a pot of hot water constantly to keep things elastic, because i'm 90% sure I just bled moisture into the pot. That way as I'm stretching the mozzarella, any liquid that drops I can reserve easily for packaging.

I’ve made my own mozz twice. My realization after making my own was that for a whole lot of effort and just a little more money than store bought, I could make mozzarella that was almost as good as store bought.

I haven’t made it since.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Pizza Bible has some instructions in it for how to make your own mozz using pre-made mozz curds and I’m kinda interested in trying it if there’s a way to do it that’s cheaper than buying decent store-bought cheese.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Well sugarless in the sense you don't add processed sugar, and just get the sweetness from natural sources like dates / fruits / honey. I know it's completely loving bogus, but these aren't for me. They're for a friend who insists on not eating processed sugar, yet eats fruits by the bucketload. Sugar is sugar is sugar imho, and whether you ingest 20g of demerara or 20g of honey, it's the same poo poo in my books.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Cooking protip: don't fall asleep while you have wine reducing on the stove. Also, gently caress early morning cooking.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qubee posted:

Well sugarless in the sense you don't add processed sugar, and just get the sweetness from natural sources like dates / fruits / honey. I know it's completely loving bogus, but these aren't for me. They're for a friend who insists on not eating processed sugar, yet eats fruits by the bucketload. Sugar is sugar is sugar imho, and whether you ingest 20g of demerara or 20g of honey, it's the same poo poo in my books.

I mean your body legit processes fructose different than glucose vs galactose vs lactose.

It doesn't have as large an effect as overall sugar amounts but it does matter, but mostly for people who pay attention to dosage bc of diabetes.

Another factor is that different sugars have different sweetness factors per gram, so again if you use that strategically you can dose it lower.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve made my own mozz twice. My realization after making my own was that for a whole lot of effort and just a little more money than store bought, I could make mozzarella that was almost as good as store bought.

I haven’t made it since.

I've got the rennet already, going to give it another try or two and see if I can do it. One of my dad's cousins has a deli that makes the best poo poo and I have been spoiled my whole life. May be worth attending the next reunion to pick his brain.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Maybe look for a burrata recipe? Probably a bigger PITA but if you pull it off it'll be worth the hassle.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

Welcome to the wild, fun, improperly-labeled and not consistent across brands world of cheesemaking!

Dry/rubbery mozz is generally due to the curd setting too firmly. That's due to the temp being too high or using too much rennet/acid, or all three. It's a function of all of them; the higher the temp, or the lower the ph, the more quickly rennet works.

The recipe calls for 1/4tsp rennet. Are you using animal rennet, vegetable rennet, or ORGANIC vegetable rennet? IN GENERAL... Animal rennet is what most recipes call for, and is the weakest. Vegetable rennet is typically derived from thistle, and is about 165%ish the strength of animal. Organic vegetable rennet is microbially produced, and is a solid 200%ish the strength of animal rennet. If you are using either of the vegetarian ones and used the same volume the recipe called for, it's going to way overset. If this is what happened, it's an easy fix, just scale down the amount of rennet to 2/3 or 1/2 what the recipe calls for depending on what you are using.

All that being said, different brands of rennet have different actual strengths, so PICK ONE and dial in your cheesemaking to that brand. 1/4tsp of animal rennet from Brand A may be perfect, but then you buy Brand B and it's stronger, causing a firmer curd in a recipe you've made a million times.

I've been doing cheesemaking at home for a few years now, and am into it enough to have invested in a bigass temp/humidity controlled fridge. Happy to answer questions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Welcome to the wild, fun, improperly-labeled and not consistent across brands world of cheesemaking!

Dry/rubbery mozz is generally due to the curd setting too firmly. That's due to the temp being too high or using too much rennet/acid, or all three. It's a function of all of them; the higher the temp, or the lower the ph, the more quickly rennet works.

The recipe calls for 1/4tsp rennet. Are you using animal rennet, vegetable rennet, or ORGANIC vegetable rennet? IN GENERAL... Animal rennet is what most recipes call for, and is the weakest. Vegetable rennet is typically derived from thistle, and is about 165%ish the strength of animal. Organic vegetable rennet is microbially produced, and is a solid 200%ish the strength of animal rennet. If you are using either of the vegetarian ones and used the same volume the recipe called for, it's going to way overset. If this is what happened, it's an easy fix, just scale down the amount of rennet to 2/3 or 1/2 what the recipe calls for depending on what you are using.

All that being said, different brands of rennet have different actual strengths, so PICK ONE and dial in your cheesemaking to that brand. 1/4tsp of animal rennet from Brand A may be perfect, but then you buy Brand B and it's stronger, causing a firmer curd in a recipe you've made a million times.

I've been doing cheesemaking at home for a few years now, and am into it enough to have invested in a bigass temp/humidity controlled fridge. Happy to answer questions.

Will totally hit you up. Going to try again in a couple weeks with better temperature control, hadn't given the rennet too much thought. It was serviceable on pizza last night but I'd really like to have something I can just cut with some tomato from the garden without having to dive 90 minutes each way to the deli.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Is there a cheese recipe (besides ricotta) that's easier than mozz? I make good ricotta (better than store bought, anyway) every time. I read that mozzarella was the next easiest cheese to make, and that every type of cheese afterward was much harder.

I've failed to make mozzarella three times and have pretty much given up. Is there another type that might be easier?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bagheera posted:

Is there a cheese recipe (besides ricotta) that's easier than mozz? I make good ricotta (better than store bought, anyway) every time. I read that mozzarella was the next easiest cheese to make, and that every type of cheese afterward was much harder.

I've failed to make mozzarella three times and have pretty much given up. Is there another type that might be easier?
Paneer is rather straightforward.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

Goat cheese/Chevre is super easy. There's a bunch of resources out there, but it is seriously:

1: Add some culture to goat milk
2: Add like 3 drops of rennet
3: Stir
4: Let sit for 12-24 hours depending on your room temp
5: Strain through cheese cloth for 2-3 hours (2 hours for soft and spreadable. 3 hours for firm and almost crumbly.)
6: Stir in salt
7: Chill and eat.

It's really amazing. It even freezes well if you freeze it before adding the salt. You just have to be able to get good goat milk.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Doom Rooster posted:

Definitely this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bX1G-EASnM

Orange Duck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ua-qSqHMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thu0Pqewbbo

Duck is delicious, and actually not that hard to work with at all. We should all be eating more duck.

I made both of these and they were awesome. Thanks for the help!

prayer group posted:

And then reserve the carcass, make a nice aromatic duck stock, and make some ramen or something with it.

I'm doing this later this week

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Extremely important millenial question!

What avocados other than Hass don't suck watery garbage balls? Hass are out of season at the moment and I'm struggling hard because sheps and fuertes are stringy, watery garbage.

For context, I live in Australia, and these are the main ones that are in supermarlets, plus this weird one I tried once who's name I forgot but it was somehow both watery and overly buttery at the same time and horrifying.
But i am willing to seek out farmers markets and specialty grocers and pay a house deposit for my avo toast, because I am cliche af. Pls halp goons

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I have short ribs that I seared in a pan but (due to a massive gently caress up on the cooking liquid) I didn't end up braising and instead they went into the fridge. Is it okay to just braise them a day or so later food safety wise?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's fine unless you have the immune system of a 90 year old

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I made broth from a turkey carcass I've had in the freezer for a while over the weekend and when I went to strain it for fat and debris it poured in gelatinous clumps and when I went to add it to the pot with a scoop to avoid splashing it had the silky viscosity of KY jelly I was so proud I wanted to tell someone who would appreciate it so I am posting about it here thank you for reading my posts on somethingawful.com

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bagheera posted:

My two favorite lemon square recipes are from New York Times cooking. Your preference will depend on how much you like pistachios:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6960-pistachio-lemon-bars
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1725-lemon-squares

I ended up doing classic lemon bars, but with a ginger shortbread crust.

I didn't have any to bring home, so they clearly worked out. :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hi thread. I figure you might be able to point me in the right direction:

Are there any reliable vendors of real-deal, Ceylon cinnamon sticks out there? Whole Foods has been my mom's go-to (she swears it helps her stomach cramps when used in tea) but they seemingly stopped carrying it. I'm not about to get her lesser cinnamons if I can help it, but I don't know of some Trusted Online Spice Emporium either. Any suggestions?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Hi thread. I figure you might be able to point me in the right direction:

Are there any reliable vendors of real-deal, Ceylon cinnamon sticks out there? Whole Foods has been my mom's go-to (she swears it helps her stomach cramps when used in tea) but they seemingly stopped carrying it. I'm not about to get her lesser cinnamons if I can help it, but I don't know of some Trusted Online Spice Emporium either. Any suggestions?

Can't speak to their ceylon cinnamon specfically, but Penzey's spices are legit.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ceylon-softstick-cinnamon/c-24/p-1338/pd-s

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can't speak to their ceylon cinnamon specfically, but Penzey's spices are legit.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ceylon-softstick-cinnamon/c-24/p-1338/pd-s

Seconding Penzeys. Sign up for their email list if you like discounts--they send them out all the time to move product quicker and they stack. Around black Friday I think I ordered 2 half cup jars and ended up with an extra 5 quarter cup jars of random things for free.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Chiming in that Penzy's Ceylon Cinnamon is legit. It's not too pricey, and it's good quality.

If you want larger quantities (a pound or more at a time), then StarWest is where I get mine for projects around the distillery. https://www.starwest-botanicals.com/category/cinnamon-ceylon/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need to cut back my rosemary bushes here soon as they've gotten out of control. Is there anything delicious I can do with like a wheelbarrow full of rosemary? I don't have a charcoal grill but I do use my gas grill alot. Could I like smoke stuff with rosemary sticks in there or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need to cut back my rosemary bushes here soon as they've gotten out of control. Is there anything delicious I can do with like a wheelbarrow full of rosemary? I don't have a charcoal grill but I do use my gas grill alot. Could I like smoke stuff with rosemary sticks in there or something?

Maybe dry and jar it and give it away. Or try to re-plant cuttings and propagate it to your friends? I'd definitely love getting a little rosemary plant from a buddy. And then if you managed to give any of it away you wouldn't have to feel bad about chucking a bunch of it in the compost.

e: contact a nearby farmer's market and see if there are any herb vendors who might give you a few bucks for it.