Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Barr destroyed his credibility by lying about why Mueller didn't reach a conclusion on obstruction, claiming obstruction is impossible without an underlying crime (though actually there were underlying crimes Trump sought to hide, just probably not indictable collusion) and other things, but that's not enough to impeach him. Being a useful idiot to protect a corrupt president isn't a high crime or misdemeanor unless a conspiracy can be proven. Hasn't happened with Barr yet and probably won't.

As for impeaching Trump, I'm in the wait & investigate camp. Same with subpoenaing the full report. Barr's dishonesty gives the Democrats sufficient cover for a subpoena, since the manner of the release is his decision, but there's no reason not to wait a few days until the impact of the report settles. People haven't had time to digest the full impact of 300+ pages. The report itself gives the Democrats cover for further investigations but not impeachment at this stage. The smart thing to do as some Dems have pointed out is to proceed on a dual track. There are many hearings that can be conducted that are functionally impeachment hearings. The tracks won't really diverge for several months at least. In that time the Democrats could be in a stronger position to impeach, with further evidence of criminal conduct (like from following up on Cohen's testimony), which could likely be enough to make impeachment actually politically neutral. Right now impeachment would still be politically harmful to Democrats, though less suicidal than 2 weeks ago. For now, we have a report that validates much of the press coverage of the last 2 years, which is important actually, and will cause some moderate and reluctant Trump supporters to grapple with who he is. It's entirely possible we will look back on this moment and say the report made just enough difference to prevent his re-election. It's also possible it won't.

I urge restraint. The US may be a 1st world country economically but it's now a 2nd world country politically. This shapes my perspective in numerous ways. Many in this thread underestimate how damaging it will be politically for Democrats to be seen focusing on impeachment. It's already bad enough that Democrats' investigations dominate the news cycle more than their legislative work. Most people are clear they care more about issues. The Democrats need more of the Republicans' message discipline to hammer home they are there to legislate, oversight and accountability are critical but ultimately second to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

The Barr situation is just another episode of 'Trump minion sacrifices their reputation, lying to the camera to protect Trump'. It's the Attorney General of the United States, so it's more serious, but it matches the pattern of what happened with Kelly, Mattis, Pompeo, Spicer, Tillerson, etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eregos posted:

I urge restraint. The US may be a 1st world country economically but it's now a 2nd world country politically.
Those don't mean what you think they do. It's not a ranking.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

though you could make a decent argument for the US now being a third-world country politically, in that all internal political activity is necessarily based around the terror of what would happen if you pissed off the President of the United States.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

1st world: Nato
2nd world: Soviet Union
3rd world: other people who aren't important

So yeah, the us isnt gonna flip on that because it describes political affiliation from 30-70 years ago and that's it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Eregos posted:

I urge restraint. The US may be a 1st world country economically but it's now a 2nd world country politically. This shapes my perspective in numerous ways. Many in this thread underestimate how damaging it will be politically for Democrats to be seen focusing on impeachment.

The reason we're in this mess in the first place is because Democrats have allowed Republicans to do whatever they want without punching back for decades now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I took Eregos's post as comparing US and Russian politics rather than as a ranking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silver2195 posted:

I took Eregos's post as comparing US and Russian politics rather than as a ranking.

Then he meant the opposite: our economy is more second world than first, and our politics are very first world.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FoolyCharged posted:

So yeah, the us isnt gonna flip on that because it describes political affiliation from 30-70 years ago and that's it.

I forgot about the Russian collision, so I guess we were in the second world all along.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean - this is what it means absolutely if you look it up or you're writing an academic paper - but this is not at all what it means 99% of the time when you hear people say it. It's a rich country/poor country distinction, so it's entirely reasonable that somebody without a lot of historical knowledge would see 1st world/3rd world get thrown around and think there was a middle gradient in there.

Silver2195 posted:

Oh this didn't even occur to me

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

I'm pretty sick and tired of adding the caveat 'I mean 2nd world as in between 1st and 3rd world, which is an entirely valid definition used by many scholars, not 2nd world as in communist' so sometimes I don't bother. It's not just a matter of that being common parlance - this definition is actually used in academic circles also. In fact these differing definitions of 2nd world are part of the reason the term has fallen largely out of use. But I prefer it to 'developed world', 'developing world' and 'undeveloped world' because developing and undeveloped are often lumped together.

Now that the Soviet Union is long gone and China is no longer meaningfully communist, there aren't any powerful ideologically communist nations, 2nd world really should be fully embraced as in between 1st and 3rd. But unfortunately no one can force society to recognize that change.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 20, 2019

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Traditionally, income inequality hasn't been a defining factor in assessing level of economic development, if it's weighed highly enough the USA could well be ranked below 1st world. There are also plenty of non-NATO non-US allied 1st world economies, like Finland, Sweden, Switzerland and Austria. Without considering income inequality, the US is still a 1st world economy for the time being.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eregos posted:

I'm pretty sick and tired of adding the caveat 'I mean 2nd world as in between 1st and 3rd world, which is an entirely valid definition used by many scholars, not 2nd world as in communist' so sometimes I don't bother. It's not just a matter of that being common parlance - this definition is actually used in academic circles also. In fact these differing definitions of 2nd world are part of the reason the term has fallen largely out of use. But I prefer it to 'developed world', 'developing world' and 'undeveloped world' because developing and undeveloped are often lumped together.

Is there even an "undeveloped world"? Bhutan, I guess?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

The undeveloped world really means very minimally developed, it traditionally includes nations like Eritrea, Chad, Mauritania, Mali, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Sierra Leone, Niger, and for the sake of geographic diversity, Papua New Guinea. In recent years the term Least Developed Countries or LDCs has become more popular amongst scholars because its more technically accurate and less likely to cause offense.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

The reason we're in this mess in the first place is because Democrats have allowed Republicans to do whatever they want without punching back for decades now.

Republicans have ruthlessly undermined norms whenever it suits them, with increasingly little restraint, it's true. Broadly speaking, political factions only show respect for norms when there is a price for not doing so. But for the past decade Republican voters entirely stopped punishing their elites for this behavior.

Democrats should punch back when it's politically effective to do so, impeaching Barr or impeaching Trump at this moment would be political quagmires that would hurt public perception and distract from their agenda. After threatening to impeach Obama over the IRS scandal, Benghazi and Fast & Furious, House Republicans ultimately realized the same thing. The difference here is the Democrats actually have a plausible case for impeachment, but that's not enough to make it smart politics. Part of the reason for this is that moderation is found on the Democratic side in the US (moderate liberals like me), not the Republican side (anymore). As a result, Democrats risk more alienation and fragmentation by pushing things too far. Whereas Republicans are far more ideologically homogeneous, at least by region. An example - Republicans no longer watch or read the mainstream press but generally only absorb right-wing media, but Democrats still watch and read mainstream press and other Democrats primarily read left-wing press.

Democrats should be out there forcefully on Fox News, right-wing and mainstream media pushing the proven fact Trump ordered and carried out acts of obstruction. They may or may not be prosecutable under civil code, but they are certainly highly unethical and improper and even illegal. (Not everything that's illegal is prosecutable, hopefully everybody learned that from the Hillary e-mail scandal). Again if the Republicans were in the Democrats' position, they'd do a much better job forcefully laying down this truth every chance they got. I've seen representatives skillfully pivot from this to discussing legislation but it doesn't happen often enough. It's a tough balancing act but it can be done.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 20, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How did the 1st/2nd/3rd World terms become popularized anyway.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The cold war.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BrandorKP posted:

The cold war.

Though their meanings were quite different.

First World meant US allies.

Second World meant Soviet allies.

Third World meant non-aligned countries.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
It was also a play on the first second and third estates that were part of the French hierarchy before the revolution if memory serves (clergy, nobility, and Commoners)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So here's something that happened in one of the more liberal towns in Alaska in April (with similar harassment apparently going back a few years):

Restaurant vandalized with racist threats

quote:

Wasabi’s Bistro just outside of Homer was vandalized with a racist message sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

Orange spray paint was used to write “Leve (sic) our town,” “God will judg (sic) all nigers (sic),” and “Go back to Affrica (sic)” on the outside wall of the building near the main entrance. On a separate wall, the words “Trump 2020” were written in the same orange spray paint.

Owner Colt Belmonte was there at Wasabi’s late Thursday morning getting ready to paint over the racist messages. Belmonte, who is white, owns the business with his wife Dali Frazier, who is black. They also owned the Alibi Bar and Cafe for five years before it was bought by their son, Nelton Palma.

As Belmonte pried open a can of blue paint, he said incidents like the racist vandalism are hurtful, but not at all surprising anymore. He pointed to a hole in the same wall made by a gunshot a few years ago, saying the bullet is still in there. He described how vandals also slashed the tires on his family vehicle a few years ago.

“It’s saddening,” he said of the ongoing racist attacks against the family. “In this day and age?”

“I hate to make it political, but obviously it is,” he continued, gesturing to the “Trump 2020” spray paint on the other wall.

Asked whether incidents like this make Belmonte and his family question remaining in Homer, he said he and his wife “are done.”

“We don’t want to be here anymore,” he said.

Since this happened, the (decent half of the) community has stepped up support, but this poo poo is loving disgusting. Throw it on the pile for whenever some shithead tries to argue that Trump doesn't incite racism.

E: The comments are all Smollet :thermidor:

E2: This is the same split town that made the news when the conservative half of the city council tried to recall the liberal half for making a non-binding resolution opposing intolerance, and then the loving Lower Kenai Peninsula elected the shitbird leading the initiative to the state house.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 21, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stickman posted:

So here's something that happened in one of the more liberal towns in Alaska in April (with similar harassment apparently going back a few years):

Restaurant vandalized with racist threats

Since this happened, the (decent half of the) community has stepped up support, but this poo poo is loving disgusting. Throw it on the pile for whenever some shithead tries to argue that Trump doesn't incite racism.

E: The comments are all Smollet :thermidor:

E2: This is the same split town that made the news when the conservative half of the city council tried to recall the liberal half for making a non-binding resolution opposing intolerance, and then the loving Lower Kenai Peninsula elected the shitbird leading the initiative to the state house.

Perhaps they should have put that time and effort into teaching kids how to spell. Unless the dude knew he'd make the news and wanted them to tell the world how "sic" he was.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FoolyCharged posted:

Perhaps they should have put that time and effort into teaching kids how to spell. Unless the dude knew he'd make the news and wanted them to tell the world how "sic" he was.

Oh my god, it literally calls them Nigers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

i am harry posted:

If anyone wanted to know what "move the campus" man looked like.

Geez Matt Smith aged poorly after becoming a hobo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1120560464935649281

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

All roads lead back to GITMO! :suicide:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ted Cruz is bad at writing tweets.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I mean, "the Internet grew up free from government regulation and we're restoring the status quo" is just a straight-up lie, too. It was a lie when that rear end in a top hat Ajit said it, and it's just as wrong today.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stickman posted:

I mean, "the Internet grew up free from government regulation and we're restoring the status quo" is just a straight-up lie, too. It was a lie when that rear end in a top hat Ajit said it, and it's just as wrong today.

If anything, the Internet only started to go rotten when government control over it was lessened to scum-sucking corporations' interest.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

If anything, the Internet only started to go rotten when government control over it was lessened to scum-sucking corporations' interest.

The internet has been all over the place when it comes to regulation. Internet media companies fought mightily to get the DMCA passed, which represents major government oversight (and not in the interest of the citizens). It was fairly lax early on, though of course if you go back far enough you'd start talking about DOD clearance and telecom access. Social media relies heavily on being able to redistribute media without being held responsible for it, which is an ideal level of laissez faire government for them, but Facebook's stock price crash last year represented a realization that it also signifies a major corporate weakness.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1121044290401112064
Can I order a tommy gun with matching violin case?

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1121027856635760641
Lol

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1121043614367457286
Meanwhile, he calls for impeachment. I know you guys say he and Kellyanne are just playing a game, but I can't imagine Trump views it that way. I wonder how often he screams at her about George.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1121044024285118465
I'm shocked! Well, not that shocked.

https://twitter.com/brianefallon/status/1121030167709855749
Long dispirited sigh...

https://twitter.com/weareoversight/status/1121042817684520961
Let's hope they get it

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1120677579533574144
Yeah...notify me when someone who was on the cabinet flips on him.

https://twitter.com/rustylong/status/1121032414430683137

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1121042356017352704
I saw on CNN that the Indians sent detailed warnings to Sri Lanka they got from an ISIS informant, so they were probably somewhat involved.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1121011131869478913

https://twitter.com/AdamSchiff/status/1120879050002661376
So, how are you going to make him comply

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1120710986523082754
:agreed:

https://twitter.com/ericswalwell/status/1120847361759240197
Surprised to hear this from him.

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1120754926425186311
Surprising to say the least

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/1120829140029059078
100% right here

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1120827328274272256
Will it matter?

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1120712706145890307
Unusual for Maggie

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/1120682290785525760
No, they did not.

https://twitter.com/moscow_project/status/1121030083626639360
Narrator: He explained nothing and was nevertheless reelected.

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1120822154931490816
What the hell does that even mean? If you have him on tape committing violent crimes, choosing to impeach is still a political act.

https://twitter.com/hourlyFox/status/1120873753502785538
Fox tax

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1120677579533574144
Yeah...notify me when someone who was on the cabinet flips on him.

Maybe it's just more rats jumping off the sinking ship.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gwupoe/status/1121057209536921601

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What does Pelosi have to gain from trying to prevent impeachment anyway? More clout? :thunk:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grouchio posted:

What does Pelosi have to gain from trying to prevent impeachment anyway? More clout? :thunk:

Decorum

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

I guess Clarence Thomas should be relieved.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grouchio posted:

She doesn't want impeachment as a political spectacle. She wants impeachment as removing Trump from office, and we're not there yet.

She has to dial up the pressure until the Senate Republicans crack. Then it's viable.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

She's rich, surrounded by rich people, and is only capable of conceptualizing politics as the rich do, which is as an idle indulgence, devoid of any real meaning, consequences, or pressing urgency.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Her calculation is probably something like: Does impeaching Trump help D turnout more than it helps R turnout? And if so, does it do so to a sufficient degree to make worth it to ask vulnerable Dems take a stand on it in their purple districts?

She probably discounts the "but we're normalizing the crimes" argument with the fact that all we've done since Nixon's pardon was let the GOP do whatever crimes it wants and simply move forward afterward.

She might think that taking back control is the only way to really do good, in that maybe legislation can be passed to fix the problem, and any political action like impeachment must be seen in light of whether it helps or hurts winning elections.

Kobayashi posted:

She's rich, surrounded by rich people, and is only capable of conceptualizing politics as the rich do, which is as an idle indulgence, devoid of any real meaning, consequences, or pressing urgency.

I'll change my answer to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

All of the above things are true, and also she has to be the last House Democrat to say the words. Let the caucus get there. If they're not going to get there, that's more on them and their constituents than it is the Speaker.

With all that said, I will again note that I agree with basically every nasty thing said about her on this page.