Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Phy posted:

I suggest it was actually fantastic, what now

I like you. The Speed Racer movie did a good job of caprturing the cartoon's goofiness. I'm glad they didn't make it dark and "serious."

quote:

There's a guy near me who drives a well-kept steel blue first-gen Ford Tempo. Objectively it's a hunk of crap. I know this for a fact because my parents bought a Mercury Topaz after our Taurus got smushed, and that was a hunk of crap. I still smile every time I see the Tempo, because a. despite being a hunk of crap, our Topaz handled the worst that living in a little poo poo town accessible by gravel road in northern BC could throw at it - a hunk of crap car for a hunk of crap town - and b. who the gently caress sees a Tempo and thinks, there, that's the car I will carry forward into the new century

That kind of thinking is alien to me but I have to respect it

Oh, most of the love is nostalgia, no doubt. I could daily the Corolla. I *did* daily the RX-7 10 years ago. But it sure is nice driving a V8 couch (my Crown Vic) when traffic is terrible, and it's 20 years old. I'm sure a newer car would be even more chill. On the other hand, getting grins and thumbs up when I drive the AE86 to work once in a while is pretty cool.
On the older shitboxes, you just have to give the ones that survived props for making it that far.

edit:

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress all you guys. I want a v16 caddy.

Didn't Top Gear decide that those Caddys were the first car to have the major controls where we now expect them to be? Like, steering wheel, accelerator on the right, brake in the middle, clutch on the left?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

I've been getting a lot of responses that can be loosely summarized as "but my old car has character!" as a response to new cars do it better. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm wrenching on a 96 Miata right now and want to get something older, so I "get" old cars. But I also bought my WRX new and I've pretty much made it perfectly suit what I want a car to be. Compared to what it is not everything was muted, it was lacking the charm everyone is claiming only old cars have. I brought it out. Its the perfect track slayer and yet I can drive it for 8 hours at a time. With the wide range it offers, it's hard to think of an older can that can suit those needs as well. A lot of the things that make it great on that car didnt exist as little as 10 years ago.

I guess I should say that I'm not saying older cars are bad, just that newer cars are better.

And yet the GC8 WRX - a car now approaching 20 years old - does do most of everything better. The new WRX is soft cocked and... I was going to say only better for long drives but then I remembered taking the GC8's and GD's for 10 hour+ drives and they are actually pretty good for those too, you need the Eyesight equipped cars to be genuinely better for hauling long distance.

So no, new cars arent necessarily better. That might be the one example I can pump out a huge list of why not but there's many more examples of older variants of modern cars being actually somewhat - and in some cases considerably - better. No one is going to dispute safety is vastly better or there is more electronic dooodads in modern cars (which there's a fair debate that the electronics ARENT better than 10 years ago, especially with the badly thought out touch screen BS). Still, there's a lot of areas they have gone backwards in (especially the focus on grip and electronics over handling and mechanical engineering) - And then there's the fact we have the current infestation of SUV's which are most certainly a huge step backwards.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I was going to say only better for long drives but then I remembered taking the GC8's and GD's for 10 hour+ drives and they are actually pretty good for those too

How do you figure what makes a good long distance car? Noise? Fuel economy? Seat comfort?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know you have a hit out for the VA and that's fine, but you can't deny the chassis stiffness and the high efficiency of the DIT. Makes it both a good candidate for stiffer (extremely adjustable, in my case) suspension and very adjustable engine. Makes it perform daily and track goals very well at the same time. I get 32 mpg cruising and keep pace with a GT350 on course.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I had bought a 2013 Golf R, brand new, in 2013 and loved it. Drove it solid for two years and it was fantastic, comfortable, fast, reliable. Then I bought a 1990 Honda Acty kei van and promptly forgot about the R and started daily driving that goofy thing. The R went to my wife who then loved it for about 6~ months or so till she got a 1991 Geo Tracker. Then she too promptly forgot about the R and it sat collecting dust so we sold it.

It isn't just nostalgic because we never had the Acty here, though in my wife's case it was nostalgic because she always wanted a Tracker.

You can't be objective about these things because I had a brand new car that was 100% better than the Honda yet I chose to drive it anyway. It made me smile more even though it was worse. It was the better car even though it was the worse car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's interesting. I bought the Miata for the opposite reason. It's a cheap car to own and maintain, and want my WRX to last longer. Also my commute is 35 minutes and 30 miles, so the WRX is a relatively expensive car to commute with while the Miata is just high school cheap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What I like is when you find similar new cars vs old cars debates in nearly 60 year old car magazine letter pages:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How do you figure what makes a good long distance car? Noise? Fuel economy? Seat comfort?

Being able to feel like you can stay awake and alert without parts of your body protesting due to bad ergonomics. A Holden Adventura is noisy and stupid thirsty but you can get out of the car after 1700kms stopping only for fuel and a quick nap without hating life.

quote:

I know you have a hit out for the VA and that's fine, but you can't deny the chassis stiffness and the high efficiency of the DIT. Makes it both a good candidate for stiffer (extremely adjustable, in my case) suspension and very adjustable engine

And yet I still own what amounts to a VA WRX wagon. I never said they were crap (and I have stated many times I *really* like the car apart from the CVT) and nor do I have a hit out for the VA. The GC8's are just simply the kind of cars that were 10 years ahead of their time and still stand up as genuinely great cars espeically if you give em a hiding.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Godholio posted:

I have stoplight conversations almost every day I drive the C2. Last night it was a guy in a late model Mustang who misses his 67 302. Last week it was a guy in a GT3 who misses his 68 Camaro. Ten minutes before that, it was a guy who misses his dad's 60-something Riviera.

Nobody wants to talk to someone in a late model Accord.

Probably one (out of a few) cool stoplight cars I've seen was a '69 Hemi GTX. Just driving it like it should be during the day.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress all you guys. I want a v16 caddy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If they built those when they showed the concept, there would be used ones everywhere for $10k right now :smith:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

InitialDave posted:

What I like is when you find similar new cars vs old cars debates in nearly 60 year old car magazine letter pages:

Gonna be hilarious in like another 20 years when stupid poo poo like Dodge Magnums and Intrepids start becoming nostalgia cars.

Powershift posted:

If they built those when they showed the concept, there would be used ones everywhere for $10k right now :smith:

Lol, no there wouldn't. There'd be a bunch of people selling them for like $30K right now saying they're rare cars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Did they strap two Northstars together for that one?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ExplodingSims posted:

Gonna be hilarious in like another 20 years when stupid poo poo like Dodge Magnums and Intrepids start becoming nostalgia cars.

Lol, no there wouldn't. There'd be a bunch of people selling them for like $30K right now saying they're rare cars.

I keep saying this when it is brought up, but kids are already nostalgisizing jelly bean Tauruses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That inevitability is literally what started this discussion. :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

"Hey Bob, how many transmissions has yours been through?" "Only 8, but the records are spotty around the 17th owner." "Nice, I've got a 10-trans with all original cigarette burns on the upholstery and a jar of engine sludge from the third engine rebuild." *whistles appreciatively* "That'll bring in the big dollars at Barret-Jackson."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well from what I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong) the oval radio horeshit combined with A/C controls started something bad.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

16 cylinders, 6 oil pan gaskets. :magical:
I miss my Aurora, I don't miss paying for it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I've been getting a lot of responses that can be loosely summarized as "but my old car has character!" as a response to new cars do it better. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm wrenching on a 96 Miata right now and want to get something older, so I "get" old cars. But I also bought my WRX new and I've pretty much made it perfectly suit what I want a car to be. Compared to what it is not everything was muted, it was lacking the charm everyone is claiming only old cars have. I brought it out. Its the perfect track slayer and yet I can drive it for 8 hours at a time. With the wide range it offers, it's hard to think of an older can that can suit those needs as well. A lot of the things that make it great on that car didnt exist as little as 10 years ago.

I guess I should say that I'm not saying older cars are bad, just that newer cars are better.

I could start a thread about my 2017 brz and autocrossing it. It's a perfect car for that, I'm having a blast, it's dead reliable, and it would be the most boring thread in AI.

I went to the thing and it worked perfectly. Posted once a month with pics and video. Nobody would give a poo poo because duh of course it did.

Yes there is a lot of hyperbole in AI about objectively poo poo cars. But that's what makes it fun. If we were all just big dicking it over who had the fastest whatever it would be every other car forum on the internet.

Same with this thread. It needs to be more than just an ideal car for the task.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean, part of this whole thing is that people need to accept that literally all cars are emotional purchases. Outside of actual work vehicles, nobody should really be driving anything except cheap little economy cars. Whatever justifications you've come up with for needing something else, they're wrong. Even if you constantly have to rent vans or trucks for when you "need" them, you're still going to come out ahead on cost with some stupidly reliably late model econobox.

Once you accept that, the whole concept of cars being objectively better kind of goes out the window. The guy who thinks his classic car is better than a modern car isn't any more wrong than the guy who thinks he needs a CR-V or an A6 or an F-150. They're all purely luxury purchases made with different priorities in mind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

madeintaipei posted:

16 cylinders, 6 oil pan gaskets. :magical:
I miss my Aurora, I don't miss paying for it.

Another few head bolts and a blown head gasket heads down the river as we shoot flaming arrows at it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Colostomy Bag posted:

No, it was Gen IV V-8 based, and a bit of a tech demo for some of the features that later showed up on the Gen IV V-8s. Displacement on demand and variable valve timing IIRC.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

If there was an internet in the 90s, you could have posted that verbatim with the same sentiment.
Wait, you aren't one of those guys who thinks the 90s constitutes "modern", are you?

Nah.

Hell, my daily's less than a decade old, mind you the Vic hasn't really changed substantially since the 1990's. That said, 5 liter V8's and RWD will never not be my jam, and I will fight anyone who tries to say the new Cherokee is better looking or more reliable than the XJ.

The only thing I truly despise about modern cars is in-dash entertainment systems. People can't quit loving with their phones, do not give them a big shiny screen to watch instead of the road.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah.

Hell, my daily's less than a decade old, mind you the Vic hasn't really changed substantially since the 1990's. That said, 5 liter V8's and RWD will never not be my jam, and I will fight anyone who tries to say the new Cherokee is better looking or more reliable than the XJ.

The only thing I truly despise about modern cars is in-dash entertainment systems. People can't quit loving with their phones, do not give them a big shiny screen to watch instead of the road.

I was watching an episode of top gear recently where they reviewed the Bentley continental gt, and this right here is exactly what makes a luxury car a luxury car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If_Xq3qGuQ0

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

I was watching an episode of top gear recently where they reviewed the Bentley continental gt, and this right here is exactly what makes a luxury car a luxury car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If_Xq3qGuQ0

"Tolerances of just .5MM"

Bullshit, Bentley, you mean clearance, not tolerances. A tolerance of .5mm on that would be a bit poo poo.

Bentley = garbage, obviously.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

- And then there's the fact we have the current infestation of SUV's which are most certainly a huge step backwards.

Except for the whole loading and unloading kids and poo poo inside them which is 99% of what they are used for. poo poo I have a Skoda Octavia wagon which I thought was a great car for everything until I had kids, getting a 1 year old in and out of the rear seat without bumping his head is a challenge some days. Given I now ride my bike to work and the car is used for childcare, shopping or travel for most of its life it's very quickly approaching being replaced by a SUV of some description.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Aargh posted:

Except for the whole loading and unloading kids and poo poo inside them which is 99% of what they are used for. poo poo I have a Skoda Octavia wagon which I thought was a great car for everything until I had kids, getting a 1 year old in and out of the rear seat without bumping his head is a challenge some days. Given I now ride my bike to work and the car is used for childcare, shopping or travel for most of its life it's very quickly approaching being replaced by a SUV of some description.

What's wrong with a van?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computer, create a motorcycle capable of defeating evel knievel

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

KakerMix posted:

What's wrong with a van?

We yes that's the other option. I'd love to get a Delica D5 or a Multivan and have eyed off more than a few of each. Other than those though the used market options in Australia are pretty limited. Toyota Tarago - too same as it has been for 20 years, Honda Odyssey - too small, Nissan Elgrand - I hear they're good but gently caress me they're ugly, Hyundai iLoad - aside from the name (ugh!) they're pretty work like and then there's the epitome of bland the Kia Carnival

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

What's wrong with a van?

90% of modern SUV sales would be better replaced with a minivan or station wagon.

It's an image thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's about time for minivans to come back into fashion tbh. Give me something like the original Honda Odyssey and I'll unashamedly drive it everywhere

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The problem I have with SUVs is that so many of them lack any real off road capability. You're paying in both cash and compromise terms for the trappings of an SUV without the benefits they should come with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Liquid Communism posted:

90% of modern SUV sales would be better replaced with a minivan or station wagon.

It's an image thing.

Yeah I know but I was just trying to highlight the emotional part of cars people buy.
Mean no digs on you Aargh!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

The problem I have with SUVs is that so many of them lack any real off road capability. You're paying in both cash and compromise terms for the trappings of an SUV without the benefits they should come with.

That's not what they're for. They're only aspirational 'off road' vehicles, sold to soccer moms whose closest encounter with offroading is a graveled parking lot. Same reason it's so drat hard to get a pickup truck without a cab the size of a mid-00's luxury sedan.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

That's not what they're for. They're only aspirational 'off road' vehicles, sold to soccer moms whose closest encounter with offroading is a graveled parking lot.
I know. gently caress them and gently caress their customer base.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Darchangel posted:

If you can just buy a thing, what makes it special?
Anyone with money can buy a Focus RS or whatever. Buying an '80s Celica, for example, you've got to *find* one first. Then, you likely will need to wrench on it. Then, you can make it your own, improving the things the really need improving. You've got to know what you're doing, or learn. There's more to it than just driving.

I used to think like this and to some respects I still do. If money were no object the first thing I'd do would be to buy my old FC back but then I'd also buy a 458 Speciale because loving hell what a car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So is there like, a fire extinguisher guy who just stands there all day holding a fire extinguisher in case poo poo pops off, or do you have a shop dog that can smell the smoke before the fire gets out of hand?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

That's not what they're for. They're only aspirational 'off road' vehicles, sold to soccer moms whose closest encounter with offroading is a graveled parking lot. Same reason it's so drat hard to get a pickup truck without a cab the size of a mid-00's luxury sedan.

I think pigeon holing SUV's as being bought by soccer mums is being woefully unrealistic about their use and practicality.

I remember reading someone's post on here that summed it up pretty well, should car design have followed where the Model T started we'd all be driving SUV's anyway. They're easy to get in and out of, easy to load kids in and out of, easy to load things into the boot, they have some ground clearance so potholes and poo poo house roads aren't a problem and they have a really good vision of the road around them.

Somewhere along the line people got sold this idea that sedans were great but in reality they're pretty poo poo. They're low to the ground, hard to get into and out of and hard to carry poo poo in.

Sure the vast majority of SUV's are poo poo and tout off road credentials that they either don't have or will never use but that's more down to marketing agencies and car companies chasing an easy buck

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The ideal car for most people is a smallish economy hatch with a lift for ground clearance and easier ingress/egress. In other words a small crossover.

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

The ideal car for the world as a whole is a bicycle and public transit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The ideal car for most people is a smallish economy hatch with a lift for ground clearance and easier ingress/egress. In other words a small crossover.

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

The ideal car for the world as a whole is a bicycle and public transit, though.

Powershift posted:

And be very careful

Anybody talking poo poo about the AMC eagle will have an enemy for life.