Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dragons Dogma runs great on Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Searching for threads on whether to buy dragons dogma is hilarious. I don’t think there has been a more divisive game- some people think it’s boring repetitive crap and some people can’t stop playing it as a pinnacle of realistic high fantasy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Breath of the Wild is great because there is no government.

what about the Gerudo tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The big fat fish king should be deposed and guillotined

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Facetious posted:

what about the Gerudo tho

Their leader is inexperienced and their military is incompetent, their time is short.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

Shammypants posted:

Searching for threads on whether to buy dragons dogma is hilarious. I don’t think there has been a more divisive game- some people think it’s boring repetitive crap and some people can’t stop playing it as a pinnacle of realistic high fantasy.

Watch an hour or so of gameplay by a youtuber/streamer you can tolerate playing it. It's got nothing much in the way of spoilers. If you like it get it.

Also if you have steam you could try it out and return it within the first 2 hours for your money back to grab the switch version or withdraw the cash it from an ATM and shove it up your rear end.

Or your could buy the physical copy and shove that up your rear end.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
dragons dogma was ok. very generic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gay Horney posted:

dragons dogma was ok. very generic

Someone put the game down early

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What're you talking about every JRPG lets you become mr burn or w/e that fantastic 4 guy was called.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gonna play Dragon's Dogma for the first time this evening.

Any compelling reason not to start up in hard mode?

Do I need to be connected to the internet all the time to get other-people-inspired pawns or if I just go online for a bit then leave it offline should I be fine?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Breath of the Wild is great because there is no government.

would be great to have OSHA so all your tools didn't loving shatter in dangerous situations

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Also picked up Dragons Dogma. Looking for a good primer or tips for noobies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Looks like beforeiplay.com has an entry for Dragon's Dogma: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon%27s_Dogma

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do I need to be connected to the internet all the time to get other-people-inspired pawns or if I just go online for a bit then leave it offline should I be fine?

In hard mode everything will one shot you. If you're fine with the first enemy you see one shotting you for like 20 levels then you're good. For the latter, you don't have to always be online, just whenever you visit the rift. You should keep yourself online whenever you rest though, otherwise you wont update your pawn and it will never get hired being a level 1 scrub, which means no rift crystals. And you want those if you want to do the post game stuff.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

404notfound posted:

Looks like beforeiplay.com has an entry for Dragon's Dogma: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon%27s_Dogma

I didn’t know that this site was a thing. Very neat, thank you.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hammer Bro. posted:

I think you just need to be online to 'download' pawns and you can still use them offline once they are hired.

This game has NG+ cycles but the difficulty/reward doesn't increase each time through like Dark Souls, so if you wanted to simulate the NG+ experience, you could enable Hard Mode when (and if) you start NG+.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Dragons Dogma runs great on Switch
did you get out of the tutorial area? because that's sadly not my experience with the game (handheld)

as soon as you get outside the gates of the starting town there's very bad pop-in, shadows flicker a lot(particularly in the distance), the resolution is low, there's some sort of smearing filter going on after a certain distance (very visible at night, it causes a flickering blurry halo around everything) and the framerate seems to stutter too. :( Maybe my Switch is dying or something but I certainly wouldn't say it runs "great".

game seems cool though, and I want to continue playing it. I just wish it didn't hurt to look at.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Your Computer posted:

did you get out of the tutorial area? because that's sadly not my experience with the game (handheld)

as soon as you get outside the gates of the starting town there's very bad pop-in, shadows flicker a lot(particularly in the distance), the resolution is low, there's some sort of smearing filter going on after a certain distance (very visible at night, it causes a flickering blurry halo around everything) and the framerate seems to stutter too. :( Maybe my Switch is dying or something but I certainly wouldn't say it runs "great".

game seems cool though, and I want to continue playing it. I just wish it didn't hurt to look at.
I've only played docked so I guess I can't comment on handheld

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Golgo13 posted:

Or your could buy the physical copy and shove that up your rear end.

And here I thought the Switch game carts couldn't taste any worse.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The raiding in Dawn of survivors is brutal. Fight through waves of zombies only to be one shot running out by another player. Don't think my loot was great coming out of there as it was a multi tier raid and i was only on the second level, but drat does it sting.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

In the Dragon's Dogma port can you still send thank you messages to players for their pawns?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Facetious posted:

They should go to the development staff.

Fuckin' :lol:, you swear they'll ever line the pockets of anything but CEOs and Shareholders.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Beastie posted:

Also picked up Dragons Dogma. Looking for a good primer or tips for noobies.

Here's my dragdog tip: if you're a fighter, or one of the other red vocations, you can restrain enemies by holding the grab button while they're staggered or knocked down. Restrained enemies take a lot of extra damage from ally attacks so it's a good way to take down tough enemies like the shield bandits, as well as pesky mobile ones like direwolves and harpies.

And if you just want to carry them over your shoulder like any other vocation you just tap the grab button instead.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

In the Dragon's Dogma port can you still send thank you messages to players for their pawns?

Yeah. I just did it twice

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hit my first wall in Baba Is You. I think it's called Prison? Pretty much four walls Keke and Baba and a small assortment of words to move. I'll figure it out. I've got ideas. We'll see what happens. It's so so very good.

Wargroove... is fine. I'm hardly into it, just a few missions into the campaign mode, but it seems very well balanced and the level design has been fine so far (which I feel must be the hardest thing to do in a game like these). It's a unique beast being a weird mix of AW and FE. So that's cool. The one thing I can wholeheartedly say is that it's pretty drat gorgeous. The spritework is great.

I'm mainly focusing on Pillars of Eternity right now, but man does it make me want to get the sequel on Switch. It's such a good good game.

bushisms.txt posted:

The raiding in Dawn of survivors is brutal. Fight through waves of zombies only to be one shot running out by another player. Don't think my loot was great coming out of there as it was a multi tier raid and i was only on the second level, but drat does it sting.

I don't know if anyone's following these but I like these mini-post-reviews.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

RBA Starblade posted:

it's true. i was not impressed by using fire, cold, and, electricity, a fast low damage weapon or a slow high damage weapon to beat up monsters standing around in grassy fields so i stopped playing the game after a dozen or so hours. the follower system is cool

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They said there was a Switch port of PoE2 coming, I'm still hoping....

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Knorth posted:

They said there was a Switch port of PoE2 coming, I'm still hoping....

....Pillars of Eternity 2?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
yeah

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

P0wn of Enders

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hit my first wall in Baba Is You. I think it's called Prison? Pretty much four walls Keke and Baba and a small assortment of words to move. I'll figure it out. I've got ideas. We'll see what happens. It's so so very good.

If its any consolation the dev noted, and patched in new variations (not sure if its live yet) of that specific stage because the solution is nonnintuitive and requires understanding unwritten game rules

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know if anyone's following these but I like these mini-post-reviews.
I keep saying it, but the raiding mechanics in Dawn of survivors are ingenious. They have ranked spots dedicated just for you to find materials of different rarities, dynamic raiding spots which usually pop up for 15 minutes at a time for mid tier armor and weapons, and high tier static spots.

The high tier static spots have 24 hour timers that start when you access them, giving you an allotted time to try and clear the place before it resets. The one I'm currently working on has at least 3 tiers, the 2nd floor needed both a rare tool to open a door and a tv at your base you have to build separately which gives you a code to plug into an elevator to access the next level.

During my raid, I was almost finished with the 2nd level but both my weapons had broken, so I had to sprint back to the elevator and slam the floor button before the horde got to me. Unfortunately, as soon as the doors opened, some pantless loser starts swinging a bat at me.

I lost some decent rare materials, but nothing I could use yet, as the tools needed to use them are still days away. After feeling butt hurt for a bit, I smoked a bowl, grabbed a machete from my storage and ran to a dynamic spawn. Ended up with equivalent gear to what I lost and materials I actually needed to finish a quest. At work now, but I'm probably gonna try and take another shot at that high tier spot tonight, while its still cracked open. I'm hoping players don't realize all the work I've done and clear the place, though I don't know if any one has the gear I have and can handle the horde on the third level.

Thinking of hitting up the reddit discord and asking if anyone wants to help me raid it, since theoretically, they'd see it too.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 24, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought I was being clever sneaking in through the sky to a shrine past a guardian but turns out the Hyperfuck laser is an anti-air weapon also

TBH I feel like for all the clever things you can do in Zelda most of them involve not doing something, like not fighting anything or not bothering to walk somewhere or not solve a puzzle :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought I was being clever sneaking in through the sky to a shrine past a guardian but turns out the Hyperfuck laser is an anti-air weapon also

TBH I feel like for all the clever things you can do in Zelda most of them involve not doing something, like not fighting anything or not bothering to walk somewhere or not solve a puzzle :v:

That's just life

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Dragon’s Dogma is really cool so far. I’m loving the campy execution, flow, and style.

Bonus: you can tap the mini-map on the touchscreen to enlarge it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

That's just life

The ultimate form of BOTW would be for Link to use the Sheikah Slate to control a drone to kill Ganon for him

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean this is what a lot of people say to do with Dark Souls and for some reason that game gets a pass for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

I mean this is what a lot of people say to do with Dark Souls and for some reason that game gets a pass for it.

You dont walk very far in Dark Souls and when you do have to fight something despite combat being clunky, awkward, and all around meh its still far better than Zelda.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm not sure I understand, solve all the puzzles, walk to all the places, fight things if you want but sneaking away is fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I’ve been coming around on the idea that the combat in BotW is pretty bland.

It’s very basic but the game does give you a ton of other directions from which you can approach an encounter with an enemies.