Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've never had Secret Aardvark. On Amazon a bottle is $9.98 the last time I looked. Is that about right or should I be looking elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You can get it a little cheaper from the source but you have to buy more than one.

Amazon is the easiest option. Also check out the other flavor options. Serrabanero and the black bean sauce are delicious.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The $20 for 3 bottles they have on their website is a good deal, but the $14 for shipping is enough to price me out.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

pahuyuth posted:

I've never had Secret Aardvark. On Amazon a bottle is $9.98 the last time I looked. Is that about right or should I be looking elsewhere?

I think it was cheaper when I got it at a local Kroger variant but I can't remember for sure

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Democratic Pirate posted:

The $20 for 3 bottles they have on their website is a good deal, but the $14 for shipping is enough to price me out.

Amazon has 3 for $20.99 with prime.
https://smile.amazon.com/Secret-Aardvark-Habanero-Sauce-2-Pack/dp/B00E5PZ2JA/

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Midniter posted:

I find the floral, fruity flavor of raw habaneros to be my favorite of any chili pepper. The fact they're very spicy is just the cherry on top.

:same:

Habaneros and scotch bonnets are pretty much the only raw peppers I enjoy eating, imo everything else needs to be pickled/cooked/whatever else

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

:same:

Habaneros and scotch bonnets are pretty much the only raw peppers I enjoy eating, imo everything else needs to be pickled/cooked/whatever else

I love bird pepper, growing up we just had them on a little plate on the table and you would just grab a few to munch on while eating, delicious.

In fact, I think these taste like crap when pickled.

Sometimes we would let them get red on the plant and pick them, dehydrate and blend to a powder and just re-filled season all bottles with the powder, good sprinkled on pretty much everything IMO.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
GloryBee sells habanero honey and it's delicious. Lots of fruity habanero flavor, a little heat - great on toast, even better on ham.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I love chipotle honey on pizza but wanted to put a dent in my huge gallon bags of homegrown habs and Scotch bonnets so made habanero honey instead. I didn't really care for it and it just sat unused forever. The hab flavor was there but it just didn't mesh well, maybe it was the purfume-y floral notes in the wildflower honey.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Family is out of town this weekend so I got to make dumb chicken wing decisions.

Tried the new Pepper X mash from Puckerbutt, dubbed Gator Hot Sauce. Really good job making it pour well but still cling, good heat with some really good fruit. Got me skeptical that Pepper X is the next thing.

Tried another with The Last Dab Redux. Hot but sweet. Not uncomfortable.

Dug the original Reaper hot sauce that Puckerbutt did and yeah, I don't think anything is toppling the Carolina Reaper any time soon. What a monster of a pepper.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Picked up a bottle of Marie Sharp's original and the fiery. Fighting a cold right now but I'll give them a shot after.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Yellowbird Serrano
Humble House Ancho & Morita

I thought the Yellowbird Serrano was tasty but nothing super special, the Humble House sauce is wonderful though.

Amazon has been targeting me with the Tattoo sauce collection. It's pretty spendy but they're all intriguing, especially the togarashi and Kashmiri coconut.

Has anyone tried any of them?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Picked up a bottle of Marie Sharp's original and the fiery. Fighting a cold right now but I'll give them a shot after.

Hot sauce and spicy food helps alleviate a lot of cold symptoms for me but I guess if you're really interested in the flavor it's not the best time to try something new.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Trader Joe's standard habanero has more heat than Marie sharp's hottest habanero sadly and I think there are 3-4 levels.

Marie sharp's has better flavor though, so I mix them.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Marie Sharp also a lovely company?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nah, just Melinda's AFAIK.

"The company is privately owned by Marie Sharp, who began locally selling sauces on her 400-acre farm outside Dangriga in 1981.[5] In 1985 a factory was built to meet growing demand, also serving as a popular tourist destination.[6] The product was the first commercially successful agricultural product manufactured in and exported from Belize, under the name of "Melinda’s Hot Sauce". Once the market for the product had been established, the distributor who was marketing the sauce trademarked the product name, effectively cutting Sharp out of her own business.[7] After a five-year struggle, Sharp gave up the name to Melinda's in exchange for being released from her exclusive contract with the distributor and re-branded the product under her own name."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I didn't find Melinda's to be that good, honestly. It was literally habanero with zero other flavors. I mean, Cholula habanero is much better.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

uber_stoat posted:

this one is made with tamarind which is kind of unique. not too hot, tastes great.

I bought this 3 pack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYJ1HFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Habanero & Aji Amarillo is too sweet for my tastes, even looking past the sweetness I really don't care for it. The Guajillo & Red Jalapeno is ok, I probably wouldn't buy it again. The Ancho & Morita is by far the best and it's pretty good. Little to no heat, but tasty.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
What are you guy's thoughts on just making salsa? being from Mexico, using hot sauce on anything that is not snack food seems very strange. If we want a sour bite with mix some vinegar or lime with the sauce.

I keep a bottle with something made fresh every week, toss it in when cooking eggs, tacos, or when cooking rice, etc. In my opinion hot sauce is very inferior.

Now if I'm eating popcorn, or kettle cooked chips.. hell yeah, add some valentina/cholula, lots of lime juice, tajin powder a few drops of maggi or worcestershire sauce and toss until everything is coated with a bit of everything... then sprinkle a bit more lime.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 22, 2019

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I usually make salsas when the garden gets out of control in the hot months. You're exactly right, eggs and salsa is magic. There is something to be said for a little bit extra of a good hot sauce though, especially if there are hash browns or something like that involved.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Article in Deadspin today about Carolina Reaper eating contests and the world of peppers. https://deadspin.com/conquering-the-carolina-reaper-requires-self-deceit-mi-1834153829

Carillon
May 9, 2014

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Article in Deadspin today about Carolina Reaper eating contests and the world of peppers. https://deadspin.com/conquering-the-carolina-reaper-requires-self-deceit-mi-1834153829

I love hot sauce and spice, but man does that not sound like fun. Happy those guys found their bliss, but uhh, that's really intense.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mischief posted:

I usually make salsas when the garden gets out of control in the hot months. You're exactly right, eggs and salsa is magic. There is something to be said for a little bit extra of a good hot sauce though, especially if there are hash browns or something like that involved.

Yeah I'm a big fan of August salsa in a slow cooker with chicken.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Says that this is the world record for carolina reapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYkT8GpsFn8&t=323s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

von Braun posted:

Says that this is the world record for carolina reapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYkT8GpsFn8&t=323s

RIP that man's anus, the next day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I got some of Dave's Scorpion Sauce.

I now have a new sauce that the, "It's stupid hot, perfect for adding into other sauces to add some heat, but without the extract flavor!" category I've been looking for.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Something I never knew I needed until I discovered it in the International section of my supermarket today:

For those unfamiliar, it's the sauce from the Samyang Buldak Spicy Noodle brand (the Fire Noodle Challenge ramen), but bottled.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

Something I never knew I needed until I discovered it in the International section of my supermarket today:

For those unfamiliar, it's the sauce from the Samyang Buldak Spicy Noodle brand (the Fire Noodle Challenge ramen), but bottled.

Was it good? E: 20 bucks for a bottle on Amazon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flaggy posted:

If you like the ramen's sauce packet, you'll like that.

I've got many, many bags of Samyang's ramen and it's really good, has a kind of sweet flavor to it and it IS spicy. Enough to make it linger for a long time. The 2X sauce packet is no joke and it's just hot to be hot but the normal one (which is what the bottle is) is very good.

If they come out with a stew-type flavored bottle sauce, I highly recommend it if you like garlicky spicy sauce.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I decided to try my hand at growing peppers this year and while I don't have Reapers because my seed order came in super late, but I do have some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seedlings going.

I have no doubt this same pain and suffering await me, and it'll be fun to see how these tiny plants grow into spicy monsters.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xergm posted:

I decided to try my hand at growing peppers this year and while I don't have Reapers because my seed order came in super late, but I do have some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seedlings going.

I have no doubt this same pain and suffering await me, and it'll be fun to see how these tiny plants grow into spicy monsters.

I grow hot peppers every year, I still have a lbs of reapers and ghost peppers.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It's amazing how many ghost peppers are grown commercially now. You can buy a ghost pepper mash or puree in 5 gallon buckets way more affordably than you can grow them. They're actually quite prolific plants in the right conditions. I know Pepper Joe has posted some of his in the past that are just monsters, tall as hell and just covered in peppers.

The reaper isn't quite as popular yet but there is definitely a commercial demand for it now. Hell, even DelMonte is releasing ghost pepper hot pickles now.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
https://www.magicplantshop.com/pepper-mash/pepper-mash-pepper-puree-bulk/carolina-reaper-mash-puree-55-gallon-drum/

Hmmmm...

(this is influencing what I'm growing vs buying next year)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

Wholesale prices only, I want to know what that costs.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Flaggy posted:

Holy poo poo.

Wholesale prices only, I want to know what that costs.

The 1 gallon buckets are like, $88.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I hope reaper mashes get more prolific, but without a drop in quality. I have some reaper puree from CAJohns (I think? Not 100% sure of the spelling) and it is awesome. I love using it to bring up the heat in sauces. Nice flavor and heat without just a snap of pain that other peppers have.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Flaggy posted:

Finally got a chance to try it this morning.

Compared to the sauce packet in the Samyang noodles, it's a bit thinner in consistency and the sweetness/flavor slightly more muted. This seems like it's more of a general, more versatile hot sauce that you can add to various dishes instead of something that's just for noodles, which is a good thing.

The heat's definitely still there, though, and probably a notch higher than the ramen sauce packet. Definitely feels like its hotter than the ~4k Scoville rating, and my sinuses are wonderfully clear now. :v:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Finally decided to buy a bottle of Dave’s Ghost Pepper and add it to some chili I made and this is the sauce I won’t gently caress with a lot outside of a few drops. It’s a pretty good sauce but I think I like Mad Dog 357 ghost pepper better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dave's Ghost Pepper has extract. Mad Dog 357 ghost does not. Try the regular 357 which does and I think you'll dislike it for the same reason as the Daves. FWIW I think Dave's Ghost is the best extract sauce I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Dave's Scorpion Pepper sauce does not have extract, and it's deliciously hot.