Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SCheeseman posted:

Also, it was half of all life, animals like birds were shown as being affected. The ramifications of that would be really interesting to explore.

Dude they had over six hours. The time to explore the ramifications was well over a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

maybe after nearly two dozen movies in a franchise where established character traits are regularly abandoned in service of plot and prefab fan-bait scenes THIS movie will be the one to explore things on a deeper level

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

in a shock move, marvel hires terrence malick for a 4-hour musing on life after the snap. he casts george clooney and kate winslet but most of the footage is of a bird he liked

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The ramification of killing half of all life is that Thano killed half of all food sources in an effort to solve hunger and it’s absolutely moronic.

And also what happens when all the old plants reappear after five years of regrowth?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 24, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dude they had over six hours. The time to explore the ramifications was well over a year ago.

They've been mining the New York invasion ever since the first Avengers, it's a major factor in a bunch of MCU movies and TV shows even if it sometimes only serves as a 9/11 analog. Of course they'll acknowledge and explore it, it's MCU's gimmick.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 24, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SCheeseman posted:

They've been mining the New York invasion ever since the first Avengers, it's a major factor in a bunch of MCU movies and TV shows even if it sometimes only serves as a 9/11 analog. Of course they'll acknowledge and explore it, it's MCU's gimmick.

Imagine watching a 200-hour version of Blade Runner and they might, maybe, explore the ramifications of ‘people being robots’ in a newspaper headline, in the background of one scene of the Tom Hiddleston Loki spinoff tv show.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

The ramification of killing half of all life is that Thano killed half of all food sources in an effort to solve hunger and it’s absolutely moronic.

And also what happens when all the old plants reappear after five years of regrowth?

um no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv7qh_XL_yM

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Imagine watching a 200-hour version of Blade Runner and they might maybe explore the ramifications of people being robots in a newspaper headline in the background of one scene of the Tom Hiddleston Loki spinoff tv show.

What's conceptually wrong with a Blade Runner TV show? (Total Recall 2070 doesn't count)

I like all the crossover stuff, I've never really understood peoples objections to it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 24, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, but, the New York invasion keeps getting increasingly minimized every time they mention it. How can something really be a major factor if you can't even settle on something like a casualty count?

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out if any of this is real and I'm not having some kind of deathbed stroke. People are flipping out over a film where Snap Thano dies ten minutes in, and the film is about fighting Past/Alternate Thano? And Captain Marvel, built up to be a major player in the fight against Thano and hailed as a victory for all women everywhere, vanishes for the majority of the runtime? And the other lead female, Black Widow, finally accomplishes something: but only by killing herself? And there's a five-year timeskip where Hulk becomes a Professor? And they travel through time and fight each other? And Captain America doesn't die but goes back in time so he can just live with that one girl and sit out of actually changing the world for the better with his future knowledge and super powers? Bruce Banner's angst over Hulk is just quashed by him becoming Professor Hulk off-screen? Nebula's cybernetics can connect through time and space? They don't try to undo the Snap so much as bring everyone back five years later than they died?

It's insane. I haven't cared about these movies since Civil War but this is ludicrous. On one hand, it's clear that 22 movies were not planned to lead to this. On the other, how could 22 movies lead to anything but this sort of mess?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 24, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SCheeseman posted:

What's conceptually wrong with a Blade Runner TV show?

!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yeah, but, the New York invasion keeps getting increasingly minimized every time they mention it. How can something really be a major factor if you can't even settle on something like a casualty count?

It's deliberately minimized, bringing up a casualty count means reminding the audience that Loki the scrappy wildcard is a mass murderer. It's used more as the point the population of earth were made aware of existential threats and a rapid boost in earth's technical capabilities, particularly in Homecoming.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stretching the movie out to 12 seasons wouldn't be a good idea, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and the aesthetics of the film would make for a great jumping off point for heaps of stories.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

SCheeseman posted:

The time travel stuff is fine. They set up the rules, they can travel back and snatch the stones but have to put them back afterwards, and can't gently caress things up too much or the fabric of the universe falls apart and all that. .

I haven't seen it and just read the spoilers, but doesn't Past Thanos travel forward to the future and get killed, along with Past NebulaThis doesn't gently caress with the timeline? Because this means That Thanos is never able to do the snap in the first place? Because he travelled to the future and died, thus Infinity War basically never happened. Or are the spoilers not quite right?

HologramX
Jul 21, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out if any of this is real and I'm not having some kind of deathbed stroke. People are flipping out over a film where Snap Thano dies ten minutes in, and the film is about fighting Past/Alternate Thano? And Captain Marvel, built up to be a major player in the fight against Thano and hailed as a victory for all women everywhere, vanishes for the majority of the runtime? And the other lead female, Black Widow, finally accomplishes something: but only by killing herself? And there's a five-year timeskip where Hulk becomes a Professor? And they travel through time and fight each other? And Captain America doesn't die but goes back in time so he can just live with that one girl and sit out of actually changing the world for the better with his future knowledge and super powers? Bruce Banner's angst over Hulk is just quashed by him becoming Professor Hulk off-screen? Nebula's cybernetics can connect through time and space? They don't try to undo the Snap so much as bring everyone back five years later than they died?

It's insane. I haven't cared about these movies since Civil War but this is ludicrous. On one hand, it's clear that 22 movies were not planned to lead to this. On the other, how could 22 movies lead to anything but this sort of mess?

Yeah, I just saw it and I'm trying to figure out the whole convoluted mess. It could be due to the end of a decade-long arc and the fact that IT'S OVER but I watched Infinity War last night for the first time and really enjoyed it, and felt completely let down by Endgame and the direction that it took as you outlined above. And Captain Marvel is such an annoying character, I so hope we get to see Rogue sucking the very soul out of her...

So bits of it were awesome but it was very disjointed. Plus retconning Gamora just in time for GotG #3? #yeahnah

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SCheeseman posted:

Stretching the movie out to 12 seasons wouldn't be a good idea, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and the aesthetics of the film would make for a great jumping off point for heaps of stories.

Dog I’m talking about a version where the robots are revealed in an easter egg in an unrelated TV show about Norse mythology. It would be astonishingly poor storytelling, which is what you’re putting up with for lord knows what reason.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
god this movie is loving brown

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Can someone please confirm that this Historical Cinematic Landmark Event really has a totally random scene where the CG raccoon travels to another dimension and attacks Natalie Portman’s body double to steal her blood, which can only possibly make sense if you’ve seen & remember Thor 2 The Dark World?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dog I’m talking about a version where the robots are revealed in an easter egg in an unrelated TV show about Norse mythology. It would be astonishingly poor storytelling, which is what you’re putting up with for lord knows what reason.

They're aliens, so robots wouldn't be that weird. It'd be weird because it's Philip K Dick material in a Marvel movie.

I don't really think that there is some kind of movie perfection or right and wrong way to create media, there's different things for different people just like any other art, hobby, partner or screwdriver set. It feels like stating the obvious that everyone perceives things uniquely and has different values and tastes, if you can't except that then you're just an egotist. I like this trashy pulpy sci-fi nonsense, it's fun. Blade Runner is cool too, a bit slow though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Can someone please confirm that this Historical Cinematic Landmark Event really has a totally random scene where the CG raccoon travels to another dimension and attacks Natalie Portman’s body double to steal her blood, which can only possibly make sense if you’ve seen & remember Thor 2 The Dark World?

yes

also there's a short exposition scene before the 'time heist' (their words not mine) where thor fails to get to the point about what thor 2 the dark world was about

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

going back in time and not doing anything about the rise of hydra is functionally identical to going back in time and refusing to prevent the holocaust

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord have mercy.

HologramX
Jul 21, 2007
Edit: ah, too slow :(

Fat Thor gives an drunken exposition on the red gem and then he and Rocket time-travel to 2012? Asgard to suck the ether out of her

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm not sure about that one but there's a scene where Ant Man goes to another dimension and causes Past Tony Stark's chest reactor to malfunction and give him a heart attack, apparently.

Also, it looks like Reddit already has a lot of the footage of the climax online. Like someone said earlier, it's very brown. And, hoo boy, is there a lot of times where the insanely massive battle featuring thousands of combatants pauses so two characters can have a Moment. Is it any suprise that the final Avengers film climaxes in two faceless hordes running at each other?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

captain america also pulls a 'martha' but proceeds to take advantage of it by punching his past self in the face

the entire story is going back in time to a time before they died, to kill their own selves, before their future selves become infinite. age of ultron.

e: oh also loki re-steals the tesseract and disappears during the 'time heist' and then they time travel again, apparently negating that from happening???

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 24, 2019

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HologramX posted:

Edit: ah, too slow :(

Fat Thor gives an drunken exposition on the red gem and then he and Rocket time-travel to 2012? Asgard to suck the ether out of her

Hahahah this movie is going to be so stupid it owns.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I’m glad I read the spoilers because if they are even halfway accurate this sounds awful. How the hell is this the best they could do!?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

all the best scenes in this film prominently feature fuckin' HAWKEYE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

I’m glad I read the spoilers because if they are even halfway accurate this sounds awful. How the hell is this the best they could do!?

When something's this well marketed, you don't need to make it good

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I feel like the movie is struggling between being a sort of 'one last ride' for the original Avengers, but also needing to involve every single other character and movie no matter how minor and to be bigger and better than whatever came before.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Exciting, entertaining, and emotionally impactful, Avengers: Endgame does whatever it takes to deliver a satisfying finale to Marvel's epic Infinity Saga.

HologramX
Jul 21, 2007

ungulateman posted:

all the best scenes in this film prominently feature fuckin' HAWKEYE

Yeah, like all his family die, like in Ultimates, so he decides to somehow get super martial arts skills and becomes Ronin and kill all the bad guys that didn't get dusted, which is a cool idea but I don't think really fit into the storyline. Like, "Ooo, we just missed Clint but he's become a savage killer and he's out of control but we'll catch up to him and forgive his sins to get him on the team to save everyone". His scenes with Black Widow in space were pretty good and I half expected them to both jump and lose half a soul to get the soul stone.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

maybe after nearly two dozen movies in a franchise where established character traits are regularly abandoned in service of plot and prefab fan-bait scenes THIS movie will be the one to explore things on a deeper level

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Live in China, saw the movie, it was loving awesome. I didn't really dig part 1 but yeah, just

Normally in Chinese theaters everyone's on phones, talking, etc. This time? Silence interspersed with gasps and also sobbing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

coolusername posted:

Live in China, saw the movie, it was loving awesome. I didn't really dig part 1 but yeah, just

Normally in Chinese theaters everyone's on phones, talking, etc. This time? Silence interspersed with gasps and also sobbing.

How was the tension and the quips? This is important

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Humour level way lower than Ragnarok but way higher than like, winter soldier or part 1 or something. It was funny enough for the subtitles to land laughs.

I do have some complaints but for the most part it was really cool, way lower in the generic cgi brawl quota.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So reading the spoilers, what the hell did Strange’s “It was the only way” mean? Is it just that Tony had to be alive and the only way to do that was handing over the time stone?

Also lol at literally everyone getting revived except Vision.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like that people are still hung up on "bu-bu-but the Far From Home trailer!!!" like Marvel hasn't openly lied with trailer footage that was never even planned to air in the film since pre-Infinity War

You're not getting that "Fury and Peter meet for the first time" scene either btw, they're both at Tony's funeral

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
From reddit:

Hulk dabs.

:negative:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

RatHat posted:

So reading the spoilers, what the hell did Strange’s “It was the only way” mean? Is it just that Tony had to be alive and the only way to do that was handing over the time stone?

Also lol at literally everyone getting revived except Vision.

Tony is the one who cracks time travel also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Miching Mallecho posted:

From reddit:

Hulk dabs.

:negative:

It's more of a Usain Bolt gesture