Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
The Atomic Brain is pretty dark, considering that it's about an old woman ogling young women in an ostensible effort to transplant her brain into one of their bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Atomic Brain is pretty dark, considering that it's about an old woman ogling young women in an ostensible effort to transplant her brain into one of their bodies.

There's a girl on the roof/and she thinks she's a cat

But she is no cat/but she is no cat

Are you sure?/are you sure?/are you sure?/are you sure?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Call me crazy, but I would actually like to see a big budget, modern remake of Women of the Prehistoric Planet. The movie actually has a pretty interesting premise, and some decent sci-fi elements. It's just super cheap looking and the plot twist is very poorly delivered.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Simplex posted:

Call me crazy, but I would actually like to see a big budget, modern remake of Women of the Prehistoric Planet. The movie actually has a pretty interesting premise, and some decent sci-fi elements. It's just super cheap looking and the plot twist is very poorly delivered.

Same for me with The Brute Man and Laserblast, the former is just shy of being a good movie, and the latter has a strong premise that could be amazing with the right director

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Same for me with The Brute Man and Laserblast, the former is just shy of being a good movie, and the latter has a strong premise that could be amazing with the right director

It could finally have some foot-ball! :clint:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
laserblast has a premise??

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think it's the sturmin? Does that sound right?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oooof, yeah. I have a hard time enjoying that episode. Also Robot Monster's dream-story is pretty bleak, what with everyone dying. But it's a dream, so it's all okay!

The Cinematic Titanic episode Doomsday out-bleaks just about everything.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Frankly, I want to see the Credible Melting Man.

Mike's RL take on the movie is great:

Wikipedia posted:

The Incredible Melting Man was featured and lampooned in an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The film appeared in the fourth episode of the show's seventh season, which was broadcast on Comedy Central on February 24, 1996. Michael J. Nelson, the show's head writer, spoke disparagingly about the film while describing it to the press: "The plot is – and I'm not kidding here – the plot is, a guy is melting. That's the plot".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:golfclap:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Faaaaaaar out

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Gaz-L posted:

Rifftrax did a short way back in their early days called One Got Fat (despite the name, it's actually a bike safety film) and about halfway through, there's a BOING sound effect. Out of nowhere, Kevin gives a creepy as poo poo "NO SPRINGS!"

I nearly fell out of my chair the first time.

I love that short because I saw it for real, educational purposes back in the 80s.

One of the local parks had this setup called "Safety Town," schools would go there for field trips and they had a little kid-sized town with little cars you could drive around to learn the rules of the road. I was super excited about it, and the day our school went, it poured. So instead, we stayed inside, watched that short, and listened to a presentation about safety.

For years, I had the vague image of the ladies being tossed up into the tree by a bike-riding chimp floating in my head, and it all came back when I saw that riff.

I never did get to drive the little car.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My brother my brother and me had an episode where they went to safety town as adults. It is amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

I love that short because I saw it for real, educational purposes back in the 80s.

One of the local parks had this setup called "Safety Town," schools would go there for field trips and they had a little kid-sized town with little cars you could drive around to learn the rules of the road. I was super excited about it, and the day our school went, it poured. So instead, we stayed inside, watched that short, and listened to a presentation about safety.

For years, I had the vague image of the ladies being tossed up into the tree by a bike-riding chimp floating in my head, and it all came back when I saw that riff.

I never did get to drive the little car.

Safety Town?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONEMbP6LLc

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yknow, aside from being cruel, the mads' plot was destined to fail from the beginning. if dr. f was trying to take over the world by finding and subjecting to humanity the worst movie of all time, why would he test the films on a subject he's captured and launched into space? the subject is already isolated and their grip on sanity is already tenuous. using a control is just good science :colbert:

just relax, i know

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And how could they be sure that it wasn't the cumulative affects of the films that they were exposed to, and not one particular film?

That said, Mike always seemed like he was closer to breaking than Joel.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the subject is already isolated and their grip on sanity is already tenuous. using a control is just good science :colbert:

That's counteracted because he keeps his sanity with the help of his robot friends.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
true, but i don't think dr. f knew just how resilient joel was

Davros1 posted:

And how could they be sure that it wasn't the cumulative affects of the films that they were exposed to, and not one particular film?

exactly

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, Kinga figured that out, that was one of the points of... THE GAUNTLET, after all.

(Also do we have any official word if the show's renewed/cancelled? I know Netflix gonna Netflix but upfronts are soon)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gaz-L posted:

(Also do we have any official word if the show's renewed/cancelled? I know Netflix gonna Netflix but upfronts are soon)

Joel teased an announcement on June 1st regarding MST3K’s “future.” It seems more like it’ll be about the next round of live shows, and I am a little concerned about Netflix canceling anything they don’t directly own. But I’ll assume no news is good news for now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Joel, or Jonah, said that they were just going to record the S12 eps in blocks, instead of like they did with S11 (everything at once), so I think they're going to do another round of 6. But whether they do a season 13 on Netflix, who knows?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

That said, Mike always seemed like he was closer to breaking than Joel.

I always liked Mike made the token effort to escape, even if his attempts were perhaps not robust, like calling his grandma or trying to climb a rope ladder down from the Satellite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

I always liked Mike made the token effort to escape, even if his attempts were perhaps not robust, like calling his grandma or trying to climb a rope ladder down from the Satellite.

One of the best gags in the movie is Crow trying to dig his way out of the satellite

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"Huh. Breach hull, all die. Even had it written down."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

One of the best gags in the movie is Crow trying to dig his way out of the satellite

I forgot also shooting Crow through the Umbilicus!

(Deftly countered by putting a Nutrageous on a mouse trap after.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davros1 posted:

"Huh. Breach hull, all die. Even had it written down."

"This is a sensation altogether new for me. And frankly, I love it!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Well, Kinga figured that out, that was one of the points of... THE GAUNTLET, after all.

Also, I forget if this was mentioned before but has there been any word as to when Season 12 is getting a public DVD release?

Speaking of the MST3K DVDs, are those basically done now or does Shout have plans to release any more?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The reprint of Volume 11 is on the way, with Vol 12 presumably following that. Season 12 will probably follow. After that, it all depends if the people who aren't willing to license their films change their minds. Otherwise, they've released everything they legally can.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DivisionPost posted:

Joel teased an announcement on June 1st regarding MST3K’s “future.” It seems more like it’ll be about the next round of live shows, and I am a little concerned about Netflix canceling anything they don’t directly own. But I’ll assume no news is good news for now.

This is just speculation, but I doubt they’d go to the expense of another live tour without some assurances they’ve got more Netflix money coming their way.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

yknow, aside from being cruel, the mads' plot was destined to fail from the beginning. if dr. f was trying to take over the world by finding and subjecting to humanity the worst movie of all time, why would he test the films on a subject he's captured and launched into space? the subject is already isolated and their grip on sanity is already tenuous. using a control is just good science :colbert:

just relax, i know

Dr F was not good at his job

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

Dr F was not good at his job

Hey, he made the Double Butt-Grab while in Evil-Os!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Why don't they look?
:(
OH MAD SCIENTISTS! Yeah you can have a lotta fun with mad scientists...UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

just relax, i know

dr. f is a really lovely scientist

Gaz-L posted:

netflix is funding a huge volume of content, it's a no-brainer for them to continue to fund the show which has minimal production costs and an already established cult audience

they don't even need to pay high salaries, people would stab each other to work on mst3k

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

luxury handset posted:

dr. f is a really lovely scientist

netflix is funding a huge volume of content, it's a no-brainer for them to continue to fund the show which has minimal production costs and an already established cult audience

they don't even need to pay high salaries, people would stab each other to work on mst3k

Why do you mention that, is there an opening *eyes knife*

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
I dunno, they decided One Day at a Time wasn’t worth the costs and its critical acclaim (and proooobably fan base?) dwarfed the new MST3k...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Netflix is due to lose more stuff as Disney, Warner, and even NBC/Universal start their own streaming services so it might be in their interests to ease up on the cancellations for a bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Netflix is due to lose more stuff as Disney, Warner, and even NBC/Universal start their own streaming services so it might be in their interests to ease up on the cancellations for a bit.

I disagree, because Netflix doesnt own the IP. If anything I think theyre more likely than ever to kill things they dont own, but Im assuming we still get a season 13 on Netflix before the axe falls on MST3k.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not super concerned, since I think S11 showed that even without Netflix jumping in this is one of those shows that could probably successfully crowd-fund if need be.

We probably wouldn't get as many episodes and likely the features would be movies that fell into the public domain. It may end up lower budget with set design and what not as well. What Netflix really brought to the table was distribution. While not ideal and definitely not as big of a reach in terms of audience, they could use ShoutTV or even RiffTrax as a platform to stream episodes. Hell, even a YouTube channel might work.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If Netflix does cancel it then worst case scenario is that the show goes fallow for a couple years till their contract runs out and by then one of the other major streaming platforms would gladly take them on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

"You'll be the first to die!"

God drat I love Spring Fever

It's definitely one of my favorites. When Servo busts out the Looney Tunes song and "Merry Christmas you big, beautiful couch!" still make me laugh every time.