Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Him and Alvarez think it'll either end up being really good or WWE would pull a Bray Booking and gently caress it up completely, there's no in-between and they don't really have the benefit of the doubt that the latter isn't the option that's most expected

i was hoping for a meltdown from someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Heh, I got a pop out of Sempervive today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

i was hoping for a meltdown from someone

Dave basically said the character needed a change and this was in fact a big change. Then they debated whether it was based on Mr. Rogers or something else.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Dave basically said the character needed a change and this was in fact a big change. Then they debated whether it was based on Mr. Rogers or something else.
How on Earth is the Wrestling Bubble™ powerful enough to keep out PeeWee loving Herman?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

How on Earth is the Wrestling Bubble™ powerful enough to keep out PeeWee loving Herman?

Bryan is basically useless from a pop culture standpoint and Dave was too old and didn’t have kids yet, I guess.

Dave should know but I can see a reasonable explanation for why he might not be that informed on Pee Wee’s Playhouse.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Pee Wee's hosted Raw!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mactheknife posted:

Pee Wee's hosted Raw!

A lot of people know Pee Wee Herman without necessarily knowing much about Pee Wee’s Playhouse

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
the One Other Guy At Work Who Still Watches was calling it Bray's Clues today so thats what I'm calling it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bryan is basically useless from a pop culture standpoint and Dave was too old and didn’t have kids yet, I guess.

Dave should know but I can see a reasonable explanation for why he might not be that informed on Pee Wee’s Playhouse.

Bray was wearing a sweater so I can see why you immediately jump to Mr Rogers

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also if it was pee wee"s playhouse wouldn't more things have big googly eyes on them? We will have to wait and see but yeah childrens live action show featuring nice man in red sweater is not insane to connect to Mr Rogers even for the useless weeaboo Shave Seltzer

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

beggar posted:

the One Other Guy At Work Who Still Watches was calling it Bray's Clues today so thats what I'm calling it

from the clip posted i'm going with your coworker, i got strong blue's clues vibes

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I really like the 83 Weeks podcast, but Conrad annoys me as a host sometimes because he'll go off on Bischoff for really small-scale nonsense but not catch contradictions.

One of the big narratives about Bischoff is that he threw Ted Turner's money around to buy up all of WWF's stars. Bischoff has mentioned hating that narrative and saying there isn't any truth to it like every single episode of this podcast. As part of this argument, he often refutes Meltzer's reporting that "Hogan's salary was covered by Turner rather than WCW, so that's a big part of how WCW became profitable" by insisting it's wrong and that Hogan's salary was included in the WCW budget.

But in this week's episode, in response to a different old WCW narrative (that bringing in Hogan necessarily resulted in cost-cutting and some guys losing their jobs), Bischoff boasted that because WCW started bringing costs under control, Ted Turner was willing to boost WCW's budget by $2 million beyond what was originally planned for 1994 so that they could bring in Hogan. Bischoff wasn't lying, strictly speaking, about Hogan's salary being part of the WCW budget, but the story of how that particular line item got funded sure was an important detail to leave out.

I think that if Conrad had pointed this out, Bischoff would've probably said, "Look, Meltzer was factually wrong about where Hogan's salary was, and more importantly, the point I was trying to make was that I didn't have an unlimited Ted Turner budget. He only paid for Hogan, and that was only after we made all of these painful cuts, so it's true that I was generally operating with an extremely constrained budget."

And I think that would be a fair argument to make, if that was his position, but we'll never know because Conrad had to run another ad for dick pills or whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

surf rock posted:

I really like the 83 Weeks podcast, but Conrad annoys me as a host sometimes because he'll go off on Bischoff for really small-scale nonsense but not catch contradictions.

One of the big narratives about Bischoff is that he threw Ted Turner's money around to buy up all of WWF's stars. Bischoff has mentioned hating that narrative and saying there isn't any truth to it like every single episode of this podcast. As part of this argument, he often refutes Meltzer's reporting that "Hogan's salary was covered by Turner rather than WCW, so that's a big part of how WCW became profitable" by insisting it's wrong and that Hogan's salary was included in the WCW budget.

But in this week's episode, in response to a different old WCW narrative (that bringing in Hogan necessarily resulted in cost-cutting and some guys losing their jobs), Bischoff boasted that because WCW started bringing costs under control, Ted Turner was willing to boost WCW's budget by $2 million beyond what was originally planned for 1994 so that they could bring in Hogan. Bischoff wasn't lying, strictly speaking, about Hogan's salary being part of the WCW budget, but the story of how that particular line item got funded sure was an important detail to leave out.

I think that if Conrad had pointed this out, Bischoff would've probably said, "Look, Meltzer was factually wrong about where Hogan's salary was, and more importantly, the point I was trying to make was that I didn't have an unlimited Ted Turner budget. He only paid for Hogan, and that was only after we made all of these painful cuts, so it's true that I was generally operating with an extremely constrained budget."

And I think that would be a fair argument to make, if that was his position, but we'll never know because Conrad had to run another ad for dick pills or whatever.

Except Bischoff is lying and Hogan's contract was covered by Turner. It also wasn't a one time thing some of the other big contracts were too, or at least portions of them. There was lots of wacky accounting going on at Turner.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Bischoff is lying

You could've just said this. For anything, really.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's clearly a riff on the recent Weezer video for High As A Kite, Vince loves Weezer

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Tqvrz_EJ0

This sounds like the most Must Watch of the Must Watches

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hopefully now everyone else will join me in knowing that Fritz was The Worst

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Tqvrz_EJ0

This sounds like the most Must Watch of the Must Watches
Thank you for reminding me that this is the one episode I haven't watched my screener of yet and that I need to do so ASAP.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Lapsed Fan's series on the Von Erichs was really good. Interested in what Vice does with it

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The Lapsed Fan's stuff always turned me off because they're all like 4-5 hours long. Are they worth the listen?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They go into Dave like details but with jokes instead of uhs.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lapsed Fan is literally all you need. 8 hour shows aren't long enough

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Catching up on B&V, the first Jericho title "win"....

:negative:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think I’ve told this before on here but in high school in ireland it was impossible to watch Raw unspoilered because someone would look up the reports on Rajah and take great joy in ruining all the results.

The week Jericho “won” the title, the Rajah report didn’t mention that it got reversed, so me and all my friends spent the whole week thinking Y2J was the champ. And then got our hearts broken on Friday night when we actually sat down to watch Raw.

gently caress you HHH, and gently caress you Rajah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had no idea it was coming so when he won the title I lost my poo poo. A friend of mine and his brother were watching and they apparently lost their loving minds when he got the pin, to the point that their parents came rushing to the lounge thinking they were being murdered :xd:

All of us were in complete disbelief at the reversal and Jericho just meekly handing it back.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

Catching up on B&V, the first Jericho title "win"....

:negative:

HHHs attitude at the time was "gently caress Jericho".

HHH is the worst. They are trying to establish him as a star by portraying him as stronger than pretty much everyone but the very top faces, while being a dick all the time. But his form of being a dick is almost always dismissively beating people up.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Catching up on the previous retro show and I lolled at Hogi Wan Kenobi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Catching up on the previous retro show and I lolled at Hogi Wan Kenobi

The idea of Vince Russo: Tough Guy never fails to crack me up too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Maybe it was different at the time, when the war was still going, but whenever Russo brings up the WWF in a promo it's the most cringe worthy poo poo imaginable.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CVagts posted:

The Lapsed Fan's stuff always turned me off because they're all like 4-5 hours long. Are they worth the listen?

The Von Erich ones I would say absolutely are. Like both 1) the most informative pieces you might ever get in audio form on that whole saga and 2) the one you’ll have the most visceral reaction to

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Maybe it was different at the time, when the war was still going, but whenever Russo brings up the WWF in a promo it's the most cringe worthy poo poo imaginable.

I was watching on and off at the time and it was cringe worthy whenever anybody in WCW did it, even when Flair did it: it really wasn't in their best interests to remind people about the more exciting show happening on the other channel at the same time.

WWF got away with mocking "Dubya See Dubya" at their height of popularity, but their Billionaire Ted stuff when they were getting their asses kicked was also really loving terrible.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Everytime they used WWFs name to make their promos edgy made me roll my eyes and I was just a casual kid flipping channel between them. It was such pandering and sad. Impact is a joke today but 2000s WCW had the exact same apathy.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Can't believe Bryan just casualy dropped that hes a high school drop out.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Wazzu posted:

HHHs attitude at the time was "gently caress Jericho".

HHH is the worst. They are trying to establish him as a star by portraying him as stronger than pretty much everyone but the very top faces, while being a dick all the time. But his form of being a dick is almost always dismissively beating people up.

It is good to see that Triple H learned a lot from Kevin Nash during their period of tutelage.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anybody know what the Filthy Tom mess was that Bryan referred to when Rob was saying his body was disagreeing with him?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Suplex Liberace posted:

Can't believe Bryan just casualy dropped that hes a high school drop out.
Came to the thread to ask if this has been brought up before as I am a relatively new (2014-2015?) B&V listener outside of GOLD BOAT and similar YouTube promos.

I feel like it's a deep vein of F4W/WON lore that was introduced out of nowhere. What's next, Vinny has a twin brother?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Edge & Christian posted:

Came to the thread to ask if this has been brought up before as I am a relatively new (2014-2015?) B&V listener outside of GOLD BOAT and similar YouTube promos.

I feel like it's a deep vein of F4W/WON lore that was introduced out of nowhere. What's next, Vinny has a twin brother?

Vinny's shoot battle royal story is pretty close.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Dango Bango posted:

Anybody know what the Filthy Tom mess was that Bryan referred to when Rob was saying his body was disagreeing with him?

He puked during/after the Christmas show iirc

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

I was watching on and off at the time and it was cringe worthy whenever anybody in WCW did it, even when Flair did it: it really wasn't in their best interests to remind people about the more exciting show happening on the other channel at the same time.

WWF got away with mocking "Dubya See Dubya" at their height of popularity, but their Billionaire Ted stuff when they were getting their asses kicked was also really loving terrible.

I really liked WWF calling WCW "that moneypit in Atlanta" I think it was either a HHH or Undertaker promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Edge & Christian posted:

Alvarez has a psycho ex-girlfriend that they only ever referred to as HER but she doesn't come up anymore since he's gotten married.