Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks for the replies. Been moving in since Sunday. Will check some of those places out.

Also gently caress whoever started this barn door trend. I've got to rip two of those out. Not hard to do, but why?

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Saw this in another thread...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

honda whisperer posted:

Also gently caress whoever started this barn door trend. I've got to rip two of those out. Not hard to do, but why?

They are great if you have free space next to a door but not out from it. Also pinterest

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deoju posted:

its a pro click, it just goes deeper, and im pretty sure its just fractals by the time it gets to the kitchen images, its pure visual clutter

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just lol @ 'man cave' regulated to a separate shack out back

e: on second consideration, this was probably suggested by said mancavehaver

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

They are great if you have free space next to a door but not out from it. Also pinterest

I am putting 2 in my house since the openings are 4'+ wide, so a normal door wouldn't really work.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yup I'd say feature

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PRADA SLUT posted:

its a grandpa shack

im the wall mounted flyswatter, tag urself. who will be the 7+ year old newspaper football clipping?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Glad I used a private window so the teddy rose virus doesn't infect my computer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

deoju posted:

Want that grandma house.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
At first I was like ‘okay it’s got some bad decor but that could be fixed’ and then I got to the kitchen.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Maybe it's just me but I feel like the Apache server running in this picture frame is the most out of place thing in this house.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

At first I was like ‘okay it’s got some bad decor but that could be fixed’ and then I got to the kitchen.

Cabinets can be repainted, too. But the fridge would probably have to go.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The leather sofa in pic #8 is the only furnishing I would look at twice if it was on the curb.

Edit: OMG pic #25. That pink filing cabinet that has been exiled to the shed with the husband.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 24, 2019

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

bring back old gbs posted:

its a grandpa shack

im the wall mounted flyswatter, tag urself. who will be the 7+ year old newspaper football clipping?

That Grandpa shack is probably the only reason he's still alive. That house is terminally grandma'd. If have jumped off a bridge if I had to live with that busy mess of pink, flowers, and Christian iconography without a wood paneled man-refuge.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Yes, it's a shotgun style house, thank you. Or at least close. The bedrooms are all upstairs, and there's some semblance of division between the rooms, but they're all in a line on the ground floor with no hallways.

Here's a different question. This house is from 1880. The hardwood floors, baseboard, and door way trim is all original. I have absolutely no plans to remove the floors. I'm going to sand and polyurethane them.

The trim, though, I'm not so sure about. It's in fine shape, but the aesthetic is old. I don't much care for it, though I appreciate that it's original woodwork.

Am I nuts to remove 140 year old wood like that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ooopsw misread:(

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 24, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Yes, it's a shotgun style house, thank you. Or at least close. The bedrooms are all upstairs, and there's some semblance of division between the rooms, but they're all in a line on the ground floor with no hallways.

Here's a different question. This house is from 1880. The hardwood floors, baseboard, and door way trim is all original. I have absolutely no plans to remove the floors. I'm going to sand and polyurethane them.

The trim, though, I'm not so sure about. It's in fine shape, but the aesthetic is old. I don't much care for it, though I appreciate that it's original woodwork.

yes, nothing you put in will look as nice

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

yes, nothing you put in will look as nice

:emptyquote:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, nuts.

In general it seems like you're going for a really on-trend aesthetic, which is fine if you like it, but try to avoid any irreparable changes in the process. Another possibility would be to vibe a little more with the house you have, and let it guide your style.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yes. Batshit. It’s original woodwork on a 140 year old house and it’s in fine shape.

I know that we rag on people who only consider “resale value” in their decisions, but if you like it for nothing else consider the hit to the potential resale in the phrase “the previous owner bought the house with the 140 year old wood trim still intact. Unfortunately they decided to rip it out in favor of some Home Depot stuff”.

But that said, the aesthetic looks pretty ‘timeless’ to me, rather than ‘old’ but to each their own. Like, I personally could see it looking great with MCM furniture, or contemporary modern furniture, or antique furniture, or furniture from any era really. Because it’s original to the house. But really, I personally don’t think it looks badly dated in the slightest. Honestly it’s quite understated and I like it a lot.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I have the exact same trim/door casing style (this style is generally called ‘craftsman’) and if you take it out I will personally hunt you down and also steal the trim you rip out. You’re lucky it’s unpainted, I’m dealing with 100 years of lovely paint jobs on my trim.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

.. . I'm going to sand and polyurethane them.

The floors in that picture look fine. Are they hosed up in other parts of the house? If not...why would you refinish them?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The floors in that picture look fine. Are they hosed up in other parts of the house? If not...why would you refinish them?

Going by the grain I can see, it looks like heart pine. It’s quite possible that it looks fine in pics but does need a buff and coat. My entire house is heart pine, that stuff can get scratched super easy and depending on the previous finish may be worn down to bare wood.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This bathtub looks like it could align my chakras AND make them nut. Best of all? It has counterspace for all my silly soaps, smelly candles, drinks, and snacks. Oh, and a cat or three to loiter nearby, suspicious of bubbles. I might as well have cats in my 'won the lottery' daydream.

gently caress putting rocks AROUND the tub. Make the rocks the bathtub.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Echoing the advice to keep the trim; it's part of the character of the house, and you'd lose a lot by ditching it. Just paint it to match the walls, or in a less contrasting color, and it'll look a lot more fresh.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright I'm almost done spending money I swear

washing machine 650
dishwasher 550
installation etc. for above 300
tub/shower refinishing 900
tub fixtures 100
vanity top 180
painting stuff 100
kitchen sink 280
garbage disposal 110
countertop replacement 2000
wall art 150
new lighting 50

that's ~5500 or so. all that's left is a new fridge and ovens. ugh this poo poo really ads up. it was kind of due though as I've lived at my place for eight years and never upgraded any permanent parts of the house (except I got some nice blinds and new carpet after I moved in). guess i won't be maxing out my 403b and roth this year :p

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh - I did end up painting the rest of the wall to the overhang. That picture isn't going to be there anymore as it doesn't match :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the problem you’ve created, and I was in this exact same boat, is that grey doesn’t transition to beige well, and you really need to eventually paint all of the beige away.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sorry to dogpile not actually sorry, but yes, you are loving batshit to want to replace exquisite original woodwork with something inferior. And yes, literally anything you replace it with will be inferior - the craftsmanship is inferior, the materials are inferior (your trim is most likely made from old growth wood, giving it the kind of lovely fine grain you can't get anymore), and, in my opinion, the aesthetics are usually inferior.

The trim you have is elegant and understated, which means it can work with anything you put in that room. Anything from big unframed modern works of art and MCM furniture to straight up antiques would look good. I think the reason I personally find detailing from old houses so appealing is that it has a way of making the house feel established and sophisticated in a way that contemporary stuff just can't pull off. I'd just lean into the trim's aesthetic and work with it rather than trying to fight it.

Just be happy you have one of the old styles that's flexible and timeless. Everything in my house is Victorian as gently caress (disclaimer: we sought out an unadulterated Victorian on purpose because Victorians are awesome), down to the rosettes on the door casings. You can't fight it, so you just have to stop trying to bring the house up to the speed of your tastes and rather take your tastes back to when the house was built and find inspiration.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Ripping out that trim would be a crime against humanity are you insane?

Painting it would also be gauche imo because it's made it this far, it probably has a really unique grain, and that's a really difficult thing to undo.

But Jesus, no, don't rip that trim out.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Not only should you not rip that trim out, but if you ever need to do anything to that house in the way of further finishing a basement or attic area or whatever, consider getting salvaged trim from houses that were built in the same era.

The house my great grandfather built eventually ended up passing though many hands, but the person who had it last I heard specifically not only kept as much of the original trim as possible, but anything that was beat up beyond restoration was replaced with vintage trim from other houses that were slated for demo in the neighborhood or something like that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No. They’re a sad joke played on homeowners. My ideal place to buy a vent hood is honestly something like a Habitat for Humanity reseller. If you can find a small commercial-grade hood (the kind made for food trucks/mobile kitchens are residential-sized and relatively affordable), it’s far and away the best way to actually deal with a greasy/poorly ventilated kitchen. IIRC, the average retail one that you can get at Home Depot is basically only slightly better than nothing.

This times approximately a million.

Recirculating hoods like you see on microwaves are worse than useless, they're a grease distributor. Most residential hoods are underpowered for any real cooking.

Get a small commercial hood and be amazed.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yes. Batshit. It’s original woodwork on a 140 year old house and it’s in fine shape.

I know that we rag on people who only consider “resale value” in their decisions, but if you like it for nothing else consider the hit to the potential resale in the phrase “the previous owner bought the house with the 140 year old wood trim still intact. Unfortunately they decided to rip it out in favor of some Home Depot stuff”.

But that said, the aesthetic looks pretty ‘timeless’ to me, rather than ‘old’ but to each their own. Like, I personally could see it looking great with MCM furniture, or contemporary modern furniture, or antique furniture, or furniture from any era really. Because it’s original to the house. But really, I personally don’t think it looks badly dated in the slightest. Honestly it’s quite understated and I like it a lot.

Further note: If you gently caress up 140 year old woodwork in that good of condition because it's not pinteresty enough I hope the ghosts of the trees it is made from haunt your taint.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 24, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yes, 💯%.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

At some point this house will pass to someone who appreciates it, try not to gently caress it up too badly in the meantime.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 24, 2019

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

value-brand cereal posted:

This bathtub looks like it could align my chakras AND make them nut. Best of all? It has counterspace for all my silly soaps, smelly candles, drinks, and snacks. Oh, and a cat or three to loiter nearby, suspicious of bubbles. I might as well have cats in my 'won the lottery' daydream.

gently caress putting rocks AROUND the tub. Make the rocks the bathtub.

I'm not one for baths but holy gently caress I want to bathe in that tub

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Chitin posted:

Ripping out that trim would be a crime against humanity are you insane?

Painting it would also be gauche imo because it's made it this far, it probably has a really unique grain, and that's a really difficult thing to undo.

But Jesus, no, don't rip that trim out.

Uh yea dont go painting it either

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Uh yea dont go painting it either

Yeah do not paint it. It looks like it's in beautiful condition. You probably can't buy anything new of that quality for any amount of money, because the trees simply do not exist anymore. Look up some Craftsman / Arts-and-Crafts styled rooms to see some of the things you could do with a room like that - you could make it absolutely gorgeous.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Calling it now- this was a carefully orchestrated troll to trigger everybody in this thread who isn’t mainly looking for more BeatMastr dunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That would look super nice with some Mission furniture on those walls / floors.