Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

My read on the TTT thing is that at best they were thoughtless about it and at worst they knew what it looked like and thought they were just being a bit naughty, and then were surprised by being told how garbage it was. They seemed duly embarrassed in the next video and straight up said "yeah we won't be doing that again" and didn't attempt to defend it or make hay out of it, so for now they're ok in my book.

That's The Quartering who was mentioned above. Jeremy Hambly. He's a piece of poo poo.

There's also still a fair bit of evidence that he faked the punching, because neither the cops nor the venue it happened at believed him, and GenCon has publicly told him he's not welcome, which they rarely do.

Unsurprisingly Hambly used it to grift up some money for 'legal defense' and his fans harassed the guy who he picked as his target off the internet and apparently out of his teaching job.

Zark the Damned posted:

Use the FW Female Stormcast heads, they're about the correct size and are official GW parts.

Staturesque does good female heads in the right scale for Marines, too. I have a few in my Wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Yeast posted:

They did!

The diorama is called 'Massacre at Big Toof River'. The Praetorian 24th get completely wiped out.

Isandlwana was a very Imperial Guard perspective battle. Terrible leadership, basic tactical incompetence, ignoring standard procedures because of an arrogant disdain for the enemy, and logistical idiocy (ammo crates they couldn't open). All contributing to a slaughter. Rorke's Drift, was likewise very much an Imperial Standard style feel good spin on the complete disaster.
Overall it's always felt fine to me that GW did their own take on it in the 90s because I never got the vibe that they were saying British imperialism was good, or that "lol actually Orks are black". They were putting something incredibly culturally recognizable (specifically the film Zulu) into a diorama because someone realised that literally all you needed to do was to headswap the Mordian Iron Guard models. Orks happened to fit the bill for a horde army.

I'm sure there are fashy twats who want to be the best of British with their Praetorians, but for most people I think the fondness is quite simply Bank Holiday Afternoon TV: The army. And the colour scheme of red, white, and blue-black always works well, of course.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 24, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Staturesque does good female heads in the right scale for Marines, too. I have a few in my Wolves.

Yeah, they do good stuff too, but my point was to use the official GW bitz so dickhead manager couldn't ban Pinhead's army for using non-GW parts :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, they do good stuff too, but my point was to use the official GW bitz so dickhead manager couldn't ban Pinhead's army for using non-GW parts :)

Not a bad point!

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I've been disappointed to find out that Sandy Petersen, creator of Cthulhu Wars and part of the team that made Doom, my favourite computer game of all time, is a Trump-supporting fash. His Twitter likes include some of the obvious -- Trump, Laura Ingraham, etc. -- and some other particularly odious poo poo-stains like Fraser Anning and Mike Cernovich. Occasionally he hits 'Like' on something overtly racist -- this is what actually tipped me off a few months ago, when suddenly on my Twitter timeline there was a tweet with something about how white people can't say what they really mean anymore, with a 'like' from Sandy.

I don't think I've ever seen or noticed any of this poo poo leaking into his games, but man what a disappointment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sandy Peterson is an old white man, so his being bad at politics isn't really a surprise. But I don't think he's in the same league as the industry's fascist alt-righters and neo-nazis - if only by virtue of him being able to keep that poo poo out of his games.

American conservatism is on a crazy train towards fascism, and it's built on pillars of racism, authoritarianism, and fearmongering - but it's still (slightly) early to brand every conservative as a fascist.

Liquid Communism posted:

There's also still a fair bit of evidence that he faked the punching, because neither the cops nor the venue it happened at believed him, and GenCon has publicly told him he's not welcome, which they rarely do.

The commerative t-shirt is a good indication that maybe this was an idiotic publicity stunt.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

Sandy Peterson is an old white man, so his being bad at politics isn't really a surprise. But I don't think he's in the same league as the industry's fascist alt-righters and neo-nazis - if only by virtue of him being able to keep that poo poo out of his games.

American conservatism is on a crazy train towards fascism, and it's built on pillars of racism, authoritarianism, and fearmongering - but it's still (slightly) early to brand every conservative as a fascist.

Cernovitch is is alt-right though, or at the very least "rape positive" which is enough to get people following him onto this list.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 24, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's really what's so disappointing about America's slide into this bullshit. The right has an industry dedicated to radicalizing boomers and the poor, and the line between right and alt-right is largely academic to begin with.

I really hope it's more than my optimism talking when I say that I don't think everybody watching cernovich (or pdp, ingham, or any other RWM darling) is a nazi - but they're definitely in the pipeline and subjecting themselves to propaganda.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

That's really what's so disappointing about America's slide into this bullshit. The right has an industry dedicated to radicalizing boomers and the poor, and the line between right and alt-right is largely academic to begin with.

I really hope it's more than my optimism talking when I say that I don't think everybody watching cernovich (or pdp, ingham, or any other RWM darling) is a nazi - but they're definitely in the pipeline and subjecting themselves to propaganda.

He pushes race realism IIRC, so at best it's a distinction without a difference.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

moths posted:

The commerative t-shirt is a good indication that maybe this was an idiotic publicity stunt.

Further he has filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana claiming that the US District Court rather than the state has diversity jurisdiction as more than $75000 in damages were sustained and the parties are citizens of multiple states. If anyone has PACER access, I'd be very interested in a more updated docket.

Hambly has also pulled down his videos and twitter posts from after the event indicating her was uninjured and proceeding to attend the rest of the convention.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

$75k is going to be really hard to demonstrate. I don't think he sought medical treatment and he attempted to convince the supposed witnesses that anything happened.

rkajdi posted:

He pushes race realism IIRC, so at best it's a distinction without a difference.

gently caress cernovich. Watching him is a huge red flag, but i'm still willing to distinguish between consuming his media and internalizing it.

I acknowledge that I am likely being naive in this regard.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

75k in damages without any medical documentation is going to be impossible. But, y'know, it's all a grift anyway.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

gently caress cernovich. Watching him is a huge red flag, but i'm still willing to distinguish between consuming his media and internalizing it.

I acknowledge that I am likely being naive in this regard.

After seeing how even the "reasonable" people who like him are pretty standard anti-feminist assholes at best (i.e. useless men angry that any women got ahead of them) and fairly standard race realists as well, I'm not willing to be as charitable as you.

I get that he's mainstream, but so is Tucker Carlson. We've let a bunch of white supremacists into the standard discourse, and finding out you neighbor or former friend is a fash monster is just a consequence of it.

On the main topic, it's really weird seeing how different the different areas of nerd hobby space are w/r/t the awfulness. I just started playing MtG after 25 years away, and I'm constantly surprised at how much better the space is policed than the other sections of the hobby. You have chuds (see Desolator/Hambly), but at a much lower rate than you see in minis. Plus, it seems like abusers/harassers who get outed are done officially within days at the longest. Maybe I'm just being too rose-tinted here, but it legit seems better than the way that Zak or Metzner seem to just hang around even after they are outed as sex pests.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

So how do we reconcile the terribleness of Reese Robbins/Frontline Gaming with the Las Vegas Open, which they run and which by all reports is a really good and popular con across several miniatures games?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

head58 posted:

So how do we reconcile the terribleness of Reese Robbins/Frontline Gaming with the Las Vegas Open, which they run and which by all reports is a really good and popular con across several miniatures games?

I've been to the Las Vegas Open for the past two years as a venue to meet up with a group of friends. I was also one of the people on the FLG comment thread giving them poo poo for the Totenkopf knight.

If the response had involved not taking it down, accepting that it was a Totenkopf and saying "actually I think you'll find thats good. Need a safe space?" / "UHH let me tell you about the millions of deaths caused by COMMUNISM!" or whatever I wouldn't be going. I don't think Reese is any kind of alt-right flag waver he is just an rear end in a top hat and fell into the nerd trap of reacting to criticism by refusing to back down and dying on the worst hill imaginable. I'm entirely sure that if someone rocked up with a Nazi guard army FLG wouldn't feature it.

This is my own reckon on it and I don't blame anyone for going zero tolerance on FLG with this.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

moths posted:

When your audience is Nazis and you cater to Nazis and your Venn diagram of politics and/or actions is practically complete a circle with Nazis, you are, in fact, a Nazi. To say otherwise is dangerous because it normalises the behaviour, which I feel is a large part of how we loving got here.

At what point do you call a (edited because apparently even I'm incapable of throwing around slurs) thing that is a thing that thing?

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 24, 2019

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

head58 posted:

You decide whether who you play your toy soldiers game with is something you can compromise on in order to not support fascists.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

At what point do you call a spade a loving spade?

Just a note, since you probably aren't aware of the origins of the phrase, spade is a racial slur.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

Just a note, since you probably aren't aware of the origins of the phrase, spade is a racial slur.

Welp, that's news to me. Sorry, I've edited the post.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

You decide whether who you play your toy soldiers game with is something you can compromise on in order to not support fascists.

I don't think it's fair to state that going to the LVO is supporting fascism.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Fascism is bad. Except when it's the Imperium, then it's noble

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

unseenlibrarian posted:

Speaking of Privateer/Warmahordes and the fash-adjacent, have they stopped giving Larry "Sad Puppy" Correia work yet?

He hasn't done anything with them since around 2014 or so. How much of this is anything to do with the Hugo nonsense is unclear, as PP really doesn't put out much fluff anymore. Most recent stuff has only been Aeryn Rudel.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't think it's fair to state that going to the LVO is supporting fascism.

Until you kick Reece out or he recants then the LVO supports facists. I know that's uncomfortable for a lot of you but pretending that he's somehow separate from his own brand because so many of us play in it is some serious mental gymnastics.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Until you kick Reece out or he recants then the LVO supports facists. I know that's uncomfortable for a lot of you but pretending that he's somehow separate from his own brand because so many of us play in it is some serious mental gymnastics.

If it was a pattern of behaviour that kept coming up like SS82, I'd agree completely. As far as I know the only incident with FLG so far was the knight. If other things have happened I'd be interested to hear them because I don't want to support a company that does that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Welp, that's news to me. Sorry, I've edited the post.

It's cool. Not a lot of people know because it's a very old and outdated one.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

It's cool. Not a lot of people know because it's a very old and outdated one.

The phrase "call a spade a spade" has existed significantly longer than the use of spade as a slur (since somewhere around 100ad in Greek, and 1500ish in English), so I don't think there's a lot worth worrying about there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean we already have a bunch of other sayings that amount to "Be direct", that one is pretty much a write off.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I always thought it referred to pretending a small shovel was a sword (for reasons lost to antiquity. )

I have no doubt that Chernovich is a nazi and an rear end in a top hat. But while all nazis are assholes, not all assholes are nazis.

It's too goddamn depressing to think that every chud subscribed to him, pewdiepie, Ingram, or whomever have beliefs that line up completely with their preferred demagogue. They're poisoning their souls and planting worms in their brains, but (to me) the fans seem somehow less culpable than the creators / grifters.

Not that the distinction between active participant and passive enabler makes any real difference to the children in cages or the people of Flint, MI.

E: I don't want to be the Lorax who speaks for the chuds, and I really hope I'm not coming across that way.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 24, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Unsurprisingly Hambly used it to grift up some money for 'legal defense' and his fans harassed the guy who he picked as his target off the internet and apparently out of his teaching job.

Hambly also bought a pickup truck not long after the donations started coming in. I'm sure the two aren't related at all.

moths posted:

Peterson is also a Mormon, which probably informs his world view. It's not to say all Mormons are chuds but it's an offshoot of Christianity with far right view points that you aren't allowed to challenge or even question.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

moths posted:

Not that the distinction between active participant and passive enabler makes any real difference to the children in cages or the people of Flint, MI.

This is what it boils down for me, and why I get so feral about the enabling part.

The point of this thread is to give people enough info to make an informed decision about who they support. Everyone's tolerance for this poo poo is gonna be different. If Reece's behaviour or the fact that he hasn't apologised for it isn't enough for you to stop supporting him, or if you think supporting him is worth the benefits that LVO brings above all the alternatives available, or if you just want to give him another chance without a retraction/apology, then that's entirely up to you, but you can now say you've made an informed decision.

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 24, 2019

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019
Maybe fascism is a mainstream political ideology and we shouldn’t have to prove someone is a facing using more evidence then needed to prove they are, say, a libertarian or progressive or so on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mulva posted:

I mean we already have a bunch of other sayings that amount to "Be direct", that one is pretty much a write off.

As pointed out, it's an archaic phrase with an actual meaning. Further to that, where I'm from, and I believe where BMS is from, "spade" isn't a slur at all. So no, it's not a write off any more than the Okay sign is a write off. As with everything else, context matters.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

moths posted:

It's too goddamn depressing to think that every chud subscribed to him, pewdiepie, Ingram, or whomever have beliefs that line up completely with their preferred demagogue. They're poisoning their souls and planting worms in their brains, but (to me) the fans seem somehow less culpable than the creators / grifters.

E: I don't want to be the Lorax who speaks for the chuds, and I really hope I'm not coming across that way.
You're not coming across that way, but Overton window is a thing. Shifting the range of acceptable discourse is an intentional alt-right strategy, but it applies as much from the other side.

"Well, I support their free speech and I'm not gonna condemn passive consumers" is a problem. I'm not the guy who's gonna slam someone for subscribing to these people (except insofar as I think actively subbing to a facist-condoning MLP fanboy says a lot about someone), but the point of this thread in a lot of ways is "stop supporting people with abhorrent views just because they make ok content every now and then"

The longer this is part of general discourse, the more acceptable it gets. Similar to voting with your wallet by avoiding hobby lobby, chick fil a, and battlefoam. I'm an identifiable public figure for a major corporation, and if I had a YouTube channel where I spouted the garbage the people you named do, I'd get (justifiably) fired. Treat this the same way -- "no, it is not acceptable to say this"

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Pardon my ignorance, but what is up with battlefoam?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The boss is, physically, a bully towards old ladies. And they have indulged in frivolous/malicious/fraudulent copyright trolling in the past to try and close down competitors.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Team_q posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is up with battlefoam?

Romeo is a tremendous prick, as I recall.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gorefiend posted:

Romeo is a tremendous prick, as I recall.

Yeah he's not really fash, he's just a gigantic arsehole and since KR is right there and makes products just as good, why give him money?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Chill la Chill posted:

Colonialism is a specter that still haunts board games today. It’s the number one theme for Euros. There’s a saying about fascism is colonialism gone home. The rhetoric and myth making of the past is there. And every time one of these games arrive, out from the woodwork comes all the supporters.

So, one of the themes I enjoy as a part of RPGs is exploration. There are certainly some popular RPGs which focus on this theme, for instance, D&D. Unfortunately, colonization tends to go hand in hand with exploration themes in RPGs. However, unlike board games where players are generally forced to accept a game’s theming, RPGs allow a lot of narrative leeway (even implicitly allowing you to modify undesired mechanics).

What steps can we take to ‘decolonize’ exploration themed RPGs? It wouldn’t be out of place to refer specifically to D&D in your answers.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Pretend that D&D colonies are more like Greek or Phoenician. They're outposts in the wilderness, not an overclass subjugating and exploiting the natives for their resources.

Did the Greeks and Phoenicians claim territory and assimilate the natives? Sure. But they weren't chopping people's hands off for rubber or making them hollow out a mountain for silver. It's not benevolent, but it's your world, and colonies don't need to be the Race for Africa, "civilizing" the New World, the Trail of Tears, or the overthrow of the Kingdom of Heaven. Polynesians "colonized" the whole Pacific with little harm (that we know about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DalaranJ posted:

What steps can we take to ‘decolonize’ exploration themed RPGs? It wouldn’t be out of place to refer specifically to D&D in your answers.
The underlying assumption that links exploration with colonization is the idea that the area being explored is populated by "primitives" or that it contains resources/people ripe for exploitation. The way to "decolonize" is to break this fundamental assumption - the area you're exploring turns out to be filled with advanced societies that are technologically/magically/culturally superior to your own. Turns out your region is the back-water, that you are the "primitive."