Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

I mean this is what a lot of people say to do with Dark Souls and for some reason that game gets a pass for it.

and those people are right about both games

Both games are also incredibly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Quote not edit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leal posted:

I mean this is what a lot of people say to do with Dark Souls and for some reason that game gets a pass for it.

I wasn't complaining about it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 24, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

I’ve been coming around on the idea that the combat in BotW is pretty bland.

It’s very basic but the game does give you a ton of other directions from which you can approach an encounter with an enemies.

The melee combat is really simplistic and there's almost no attacks for the 4 or 5 types of weapons you can use. But all of the tools you have can drastically change things up, but if you don't really use that stuff and just want to whack dude's in the face it gets dull.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Beastie posted:

I’ve been coming around on the idea that the combat in BotW is pretty bland.

It’s very basic but the game does give you a ton of other directions from which you can approach an encounter with an enemies.

It's easy to learn the basics, but pulling off the parry repeatedly is satisfying

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Me making that realization has no merit on my first play through. The game is astounding. Once you comeback and or put several dozens to hundreds of hours in does combat become tiresome.

Even then, you could always gently caress off and go exploring.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

woah this guy also knows the real way to play diablo iii

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i wish i was luigi

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hadji murad posted:

woah this guy also knows the real way to play diablo iii

You joke but I made fun of my friends for getting like 4 monitors together to play Diablo when the actual system has handheld mode. But then I tried it and it was way better docked on a tiny screen than in handheld

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I guess it's lazy, or ill-equipped publishers for game trailers? It is the weirdest G.d. bullshit ever like how can, on the Nintendo store, there be a $60 video game with no trailer. Some Screen F.Y. Nintrndo!! (Sorry I said that) haha ! !

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
More like Ding Dong XL, less like MK11 Nintendo 🦄🦄🐎

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

working my way thru phoenix wright and whoooooooof did case 3 not age well

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dad Jokes posted:

working my way thru phoenix wright and whoooooooof did case 3 not age well

Ace Attorney 1 takes place in 2016 so really it's prophetic when you think about it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I went back to my static high tier spawn in Dawn of Survivors, and there's a bunch of low level players running around there now. Decided to do some naked runs for another dynamic spawn to close out the night. I want to make a goal of looting the higher tier mats so I can farm the high tier mats with higher tier tools, but I need better armor because of all the higher tier zombie types there.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Ding Ding XL is ok. It's like you are e a dog or cat and a glowy ball is being thrown back and forth. You time it to avoid hitting the shapes in the middle, there are some powerups (which kinda suck) , but the game is very challenging. And you can absolutely flip the switch on its side, and play the game that way. The ball swells (like a 🦆)and if it gets too big it explodes. I hoped it'd be a little more like Every Extend Extra, but it's not , . It's ok, but you might not like Ding Dong XL

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I can only get to 80 in big dick XL :toot:

edit there's a unlockable balls and a double mode. Not bad

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 24, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Super hype for the mini switch now

https://mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1110071526009638912

Dude is saying it's not just gonna be a vita casing, can't wait to see what it looks like. Gimme that gameboy revamp.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

Dude is saying it's not just gonna be a vita casing, can't wait to see what it looks like. Gimme that gameboy revamp.
That tweet is from a month ago and it literally says "it looks just like a Vita".

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

No it says you're wrong to think that Nintendo made a pro like Sony and put the mini in a vita casing.

Didn't realize the tweet was so old though. Everyone is speculating we hear something tomorrow during the financial reports.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't that news story basically just WSJ going off a 'my uncle who works at nintendo' tier rumour?

No, they actually have sources and bosses they're beholden to unlike the twitter mill.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 24, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't that news story basically just WSJ going off a 'my uncle who works at nintendo' tier rumour?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laughing my rear end off at all the informed comments on this tweet from all the Nintendo scoopsmen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah this "article" is absolute bullshit

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Shammypants posted:

Searching for threads on whether to buy dragons dogma is hilarious. I don’t think there has been a more divisive game- some people think it’s boring repetitive crap and some people can’t stop playing it as a pinnacle of realistic high fantasy.

realistic?? it's a great game but what

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I suppose the tweet can be read both ways, but I'm of the opinion that the first comment is separate from the second. "You'd be wrong to think the Pro is a Pro" and "The mini is a cheaper smaller version that looks similar to most handhelds"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Source?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Arisen is DLC right? Is it level scaled, like can I just do it from the start?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's end game level and you will get utterly annihilated at any point before that. And after that for a while too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

No it's end game level and you will get utterly annihilated at any point before that. And after that for a while too.

:discourse:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pakistani politics posted:

I guess it's lazy, or ill-equipped publishers for game trailers? It is the weirdest G.d. bullshit ever like how can, on the Nintendo store, there be a $60 video game with no trailer. Some Screen F.Y. Nintrndo!! (Sorry I said that) haha ! !

Yeah it's really frustrating when there isn't a trailer for a game, just stills.

Also for those of you who suggest watching someone play Dragon's Dogma, that doesn't work for me, and I wish there were more demos of games, especially if it was time-locked, and not a modified version. I really liked what they did with the Octopath Demo. They let you play like x hours total, it was pretty much the game itself, and it gave you a good sense of what it was going to be like. I don't think I can run DD on my computer, so I can't even test it there and return it. Just a demo that'll let me do the first hour or so, and get a sense of what was happening, would be really nice.

I realize everyone says the first hour or so aren't really the game, but even that would be better than nothing. Had I gotten that with Darkest Dungeon for example, I certainly wouldn't have purchased it, because I only put in a few hours before its loop got super boring.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Laughing my rear end off at all the informed comments on this tweet from all the Nintendo scoopsmen

Takashi Mochizuki is a legit journalist who always does solid reporting

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm pretty sure there is a Switch revision or two in the works, but at this point, there's pretty much no telling what the specifics even are since there's so much muddled information.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i’ll get interested in a switch revision when they officially announce it

don’t have stocks in nintendo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

a7m2 posted:

realistic?? it's a great game but what

It’s how people describe the art style. WoW style versus dark souls or dragons dogma.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bowmore posted:

i’ll get interested in a switch revision when they officially announce it

don’t have stocks in nintendo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is the best way to handle it.

Anyway, any idea if/when there'll be another Direct? I'm jonesing.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought I was being clever sneaking in through the sky to a shrine past a guardian but turns out the Hyperfuck laser is an anti-air weapon also

TBH I feel like for all the clever things you can do in Zelda most of them involve not doing something, like not fighting anything or not bothering to walk somewhere or not solve a puzzle :v:

Andrast posted:

That's just life

Welcome to the Church of the Subgenius, slackers.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't have Mario Tennis but I'm glad that it finally has The Good Bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CBhSocHsU8

ffs embed drat you

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Unless they're shifting to something other than Tegra, all they can really do performance-wise for a "Switch Pro" is reduce underclocking like the homebrewers have been doing. Gains are modest. I could see them doing that and just replacing the current Switch with New Switch in the lineup.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If it's a revision with technical tweaking they might not even bother differentiating it.

Doesn't the SNES at least have a fair amount of SKUs with minor differences over its lifetime?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the best way to handle it.

Anyway, any idea if/when there'll be another Direct? I'm jonesing.

They gotta announce a Mario Maker 2 release date sometime, and it'd be real weird if they reveal it at E3 considering that game comes out sometime in June. I expect a direct sometime relatively soon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If it's a revision with technical tweaking they might not even bother differentiating it.

Doesn't the SNES at least have a fair amount of SKUs with minor differences over its lifetime?

Pretty much all consoles do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The are several QOL and design issues they could improve without even touching the processing of the thing. Make it smaller, reduce bezel to keep screen size, improve ergonomics, improve the stand, improve the docking mechanism, have a more vivid screen, or a glass one. There's a ton of options.