Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ah yes, the powers granted to Congress explicitly by the Constitution.

Great idea!

Frog tax

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

i am harry posted:

“No, insulin is worth $20, not $200, and if you don’t take our $20 you get NOTHING.”

This doesn't work because if the healthcare company says "fine, we'll take nothing" the citizens all die. You need the government to step in and say "insulin is worth $20 and if you don't take the $20 we find or create someone else who will".

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Civil Service should be done by people on the payroll full time with bennies.

I'm all for something to get people involved in building up civic projects but even 'digging ditches' in this case is taking work away from full timers that can demand a decent enough wage and giving it to labor you can low ball.

Edit: Also, I tend to chafe at people even using the term 'digging ditches' disparagingly. Setting aside that the term originally came about to indicate do-work type scenarios that served no purpose than to give someone an hourly remittance (due to, you know, the loving great depression that was going on at the time) but trenching for various aspects of construction is actually a serious thing that needs to be done properly.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 24, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1121048120312389634

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

edit: old post

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Median household income: $96,325

Do you live in the DMV? That doesn't go nearly as far as you would think it would in this area. Like, it is a shitton of money but is normally eaten up by the astronomical cost of living in this area because everything is so loving unregulated that landlords charge a kidney every month for rent, you are required to have a car to get anywhere, and let's not forget healthcare!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

She just hit her 1Q goal. Maybe keep the jury out on whether there's enthusiasm until the end of Q2.

Yeah. I don't understand why everyone is so "nothing matters" about this candidate. Where is the energy of "VOTE IN ACTUAL PROGRESSIVES" that everyone yells when we go on a Dems Bad derail? Do we forget that Crowley was the exact same kind of shitstain that Hoyer is and he got ousted by the same campaign she is running? And Pressley? And Omar? Tlaib? Like, it really feels sometimes that y'all like to talk a big game about progressivism but when Goliath is on the field you refuse to pick of a sling and start throwing stones. Cmon goons. We are better than this. We have a chance to primary a collaborator, let's go to work.

i am harry posted:

I loving HATE HIS poo poo. Unions work. Collective bargaining works. Strikes work. Medicare for All is a unionization of all Americans needing healthcare. It should be framed as this because this is how it works; cost of care goes down when 350million citizens together say, “No, insulin is worth $20, not $200, and if you don’t take our $20 you get NOTHING.”

You are telling me! It costs less for me to use a loving coupon for my meds than to use my actual work insurance...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think there's a misunderstanding here; I wasn't sure if even under UHC if gender confirmation surgery is covered 100% or not; just googled my province's policy on it, it seems like in Canada the healthcare system does provide funding, so it's a question as to whether it (UHC in the US) would realistically provide 100% of the cost. If M4A or UHC/SP doesn't provide 100% then a mandatory service that provides the remaining % whatever it may be wouldn't be bad.

Basically I'm not assuming that an implementation of mandatory service means there is ALSO UHC or UHC means a Mandatory Service or a Mandatory Service will eventually result in UHC? If healthcare basically isn't already a right, or doesn't 100% provide coverage basically; there is nothing wrong with my paragraph here in context that my suggestion isn't being made assuming every other progressive proposal has been implemented (yet).

In this hypothetical leftist policy paradise, I think it should be assumed that UHC comes first, independent of civil service, and that it isn’t transphobic. Especially given that M4A is one of the big policy tentpoles in this current cycle.

Tying healthcare to service seems like a really good way to perpetuate a lot of the same problems we have now under the current system. The whole model of employer-provided insurance is already incredibly effective at keeping people on a short leash. Why would you want to open up a government works program to that same kind of abuse, to say nothing of the graft opportunities?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

How does a tweet like this help him in future Exec Privilege cases?!

Why even ask. Trump dumb.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

i am harry posted:

I loving HATE HIS poo poo. Unions work. Collective bargaining works. Strikes work. Medicare for All is a unionization of all Americans needing healthcare. It should be framed as this because this is how it works; cost of care goes down when 350million citizens together say, “No, insulin is worth $20, not $200, and if you don’t take our $20 you get NOTHING.”

I highly doubt diabetics will go on strike and refuse to buy insulin if companies refuse to lower prices.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1120756808631582720?s=19

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Hiring white people to just show up and have the honkiest names ever while they spout your racisms.

Reginald P Linux
Jessie McJesus
Tronald Dump

Fighting Baseball list of YT names.

That reminds me of Molly Ivins talking about GOP party president Haley Barbour and how you shouldn't trust anyone with two last names.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1121049166615142400

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

friendbot2000 posted:

Do you live in the DMV? That doesn't go nearly as far as you would think it would in this area. Like, it is a shitton of money but is normally eaten up by the astronomical cost of living in this area because everything is so loving unregulated that landlords charge a kidney every month for rent, you are required to have a car to get anywhere, and let's not forget healthcare!
World's tiniest violin.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Retro42 posted:

Some context for non-MD people. Districts only look like this to secure Hoyer/etc seats

lol, lemme guess, his is the 4th?

Devor posted:

They were also gerrymandered to (successfully) get rid of a safe Republican seat in the western panhandle. Note the 6th district swooping down to claim a big chunk of progressive Montgomery County, in the DC suburbs.

That is also gross.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 24, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/juliannewelby/status/1121033800232910849

A white supremacist attacked a Hindu priest so add yet another Hate Crime to the tally board.

https://twitter.com/Comrade_Star/status/1120817571119472640

Lol this made me chuckle

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

lol, lemme guess, his is the 4th?
5th.

It's Burbville for upper-middle class bureaucrats

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I refuse to believe I'm older than Matt Walsh. Jesus Christ.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1121053578603397120

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I have already won, but the system is rigged. I am the most transparent president in history, but you can't investigate me. I let everyone testify.

WaPo - Trump says he is opposed to white house aides tesitfying to congress

VantiyFair - The white house escalates its battle to keep Don McGahn silent

DRAIN THE SWAMP!
________/

I bet when this guy snores, even those are somehow lies.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 24, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What's his schedule today?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't call him, I called him back

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

friendbot2000 posted:

Man, come on. Stupid derails over this poo poo get started because someone always feels the need to defend comfortable upper-middle class salaries as being anything other than comfortable, and it's loving stupid. $90k or more per year is a perfectly good household income anywhere in the country, even in insanely high cost of living areas. It's fine to acknowledge that people who are financially comfortable have very different voting priorities than people who are not.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

President Gollum.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/IndyUSA/status/1120834709724864512

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Breaking: Donald Trump outted as a hollaback girl.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
lmao at the idea that there are just so few people in the "2020 Democratic Party primary voters who do not like the 2016-18 Democratic Party" bucket

what is up with Nate lately

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

he probably thinks this is his clever "sexual relations with that woman" moment.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

President Gollum.

Gollum Had a few redeeming qualities. :colbert:

skylined! posted:

Breaking: Donald Trump outted as a hollaback girl.

:laugh:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't see why he doesn't since they are his servants.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Donny is Extremely Not Mad today. Wonder what set him off.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lmao at the idea that there are just so few people in the "2020 Democratic Party primary voters who do not like the 2016-18 Democratic Party" bucket

what is up with Nate lately

If I had to wager, I'd say he's been getting invited to a lot of succdem soirees

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly I don't really get why Trump is always so mad he constantly gets exactly what he wants regardless of what meaningless procedural thing implies he might not. The entire American government bends over backwards to make sure he is ok at all times.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yo why do two cups of coffee in the morning just make me sleepy. Is there something wrong with my brain?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Yo why do two cups of coffee in the morning just make me sleepy. Is there something wrong with my brain?

There's something wrong with your coffee.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chilichimp posted:

That is also gross.

I'm all for a SCOTUS ruling that says partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional, but I really don't want the Demo controlled states to unilaterally disarm, and make it so that all the states either have 9R/1D Representatives, or 4R/6D representative splits because the democrats "do the right thing" and the country gets further ruined with right wing ideas controlling the House.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Radish posted:

Honestly I don't really get why Trump is always so mad he constantly gets exactly what he wants regardless of what meaningless procedural thing implies he might not. The entire American government bends over backwards to make sure he is ok at all times.

Being mad at the concept of people not bending to his whims is basically the only thing that gets people like him up in the morning.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Radish posted:

You've never known a narcissist/borderline. There is no bottom.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1121058232485797889?s=20

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Radish posted:

He is an abuser, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

The funny part is that the housing situation at GTMO is better.