Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

bamhand posted:

The issue is I need something made to fit because my body is weirdly shaped. Which drives up the price. I have a 48 inch chest, 34 inch waist, and huge butt/quads. Makes any kind of conventional sized clothing fit terribly.

The Suit Supply stuff is <500. The Blue Line especially. If you happen to live in a city that has a store to check them out.

Much like any piece of clothing you just need to make sure the shoulders and chest are ok and tailoring can fix the rest.

Men’s Wearhouse will get you by but their cuts are more boxy and less flattering since they are going for a near off the rack approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snowy posted:

I’m looking for a new thin bifold wallet. I’m not so crazy minimal that I want money clipped on the outside or anything, just a simple one that holds a few cards as well.

I’d also love to have a color that makes it easy to spot and a material that isn’t so slick that it wants to fall out of my pocket. I used to have a Big Skinny but I don’t like how slippery it was.

https://bycardamon.com/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is both a request for a product and a request to be directed to a more appropriate thread to ask this question:

I want to set up a digital antenna to get free over-the-air TV. However, I know absolutely zip about any of this and the TV I want to set it up with is in the basement, which I suspect amps up the complexity/difficulty.

So what do I need to pull this off?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is both a request for a product and a request to be directed to a more appropriate thread to ask this question:

I want to set up a digital antenna to get free over-the-air TV. However, I know absolutely zip about any of this and the TV I want to set it up with is in the basement, which I suspect amps up the complexity/difficulty.

So what do I need to pull this off?

Yeah, the basement is probably lined with concrete which will make it difficult or impossible to get a signal down there depending on how the towers are located.

https://www.antennaweb.org and https://www.tvfool.com are going to tell you where the signals are coming from. Antenna Web is much more simple, and TV Fool will give you a ton of information, both are good tools. You're really going to want to find a way to get that antenna above ground.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Well, cuss and balls. The windows down there aren't designed to be opened. Is there a way to, say, have the antenna outside and above ground and somehow serve the signal to the TV downstairs?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sure. Sounds like you just need to run a long cable from the outdoors antenna to your basement.

Do you have the ability to modify your domicile, or are you renting this place?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Sure. Sounds like you just need to run a long cable from the outdoors antenna to your basement.

Do you have the ability to modify your domicile, or are you renting this place?

I own it. What did you have in mind?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Mount the antennae as high as you can, route the wire into your house, snake it down to the basement

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It kinda depends honestly on what you're willing to do, or how it's wired already. If you're wired for cable and not using it, you could probably install it in an above ground room (or the attic) and rework the existing coax.

EDIT:
If the house is of a certain age, it may already be wired for an antenna, likely near the chimney.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Apr 24, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sounds feasible. Thanks, y'all. :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wrong thread! Thought this was the purchases thread

Rolo has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Apr 24, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I got one too. It was like 450 with insurance. After getting it I'm wondering I could've just gotten a sports mouth guard for like 10 bucks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

George H.W. oval office posted:

The Suit Supply stuff is <500. The Blue Line especially. If you happen to live in a city that has a store to check them out.

I got a suit from them and am very happy with it. I'm hard to fit and my one "tailored" suit still wasn't quite right. The one I got from Suit Supply was an improvement.

I will definitely go back to them if I need more suits.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

I’m looking for a new thin bifold wallet. I’m not so crazy minimal that I want money clipped on the outside or anything, just a simple one that holds a few cards as well.

I’d also love to have a color that makes it easy to spot and a material that isn’t so slick that it wants to fall out of my pocket. I used to have a Big Skinny but I don’t like how slippery it was.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879958

This is what you want. I've had mine for 4-5 years and it's still great.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Anyone had any experience with the Facebook Portal? My parents refuse to get smartphones, and I'm thinking of getting one for them so they can video chat with our son/their grandson.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cornuto posted:

Anyone had any experience with the Facebook Portal? My parents refuse to get smartphones, and I'm thinking of getting one for them so they can video chat with our son/their grandson.

Buy them a tablet instead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What about a kindle fire?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I checked the SH/SC keyboard thread, but it seems to focus on mechanical keyboards. Thought I'd ask here instead.

Are there any decent wireless keyboard and mouse combos that are simultaneously quiet and somewhat nice to type on? Bonus if they can be bought on Amazon UK and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tonton Macoute posted:

I checked the SH/SC keyboard thread, but it seems to focus on mechanical keyboards. Thought I'd ask here instead.

Are there any decent wireless keyboard and mouse combos that are simultaneously quiet and somewhat nice to type on? Bonus if they can be bought on Amazon UK and don't cost an arm and a leg.

I tend to just use a logitech kb/m wireless combo you'd see in any office for wireless needs.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The cheap Bluetooth earphones I use for running/the gym are knackered (left bud not playing at all), can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive replacement? I'm not after super BB sound quality, I mostly listen to podcasts. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

EdBlackadder posted:

The cheap Bluetooth earphones I use for running/the gym are knackered (left bud not playing at all), can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive replacement? I'm not after super BB sound quality, I mostly listen to podcasts. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headphones-Lightweight-Connection-Sweatproof/dp/B01N6DC2ZE/

These are great and I've owned two pairs since they will survive ONE trip through the washing machine, but not two.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Tonton Macoute posted:

I personally use the MK710 at work, but holy poo poo the UK prices are insane - I think I paid USD$50 for the US version? The mouse is decent and comfortable for Fred Flinstone hands but the LMB tends to die first - I'm on my second mouse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-MK710-Wireless-Desktop-layout/dp/B0037KLSR4
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Advanced-Wireless-Keyboard-layout/dp/B07J4GKTL6/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Battery-QWERTY/dp/B0797JRLQC/M517W

Caveat: I hate "ergonomic" keyboards, and everyone has different hands. If there's a PC World or Currys or something where you can actually try how a real one feels in decent range (which I understand to be one day's journey, or about 10 miles in US measurements) you really should try before you buy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Slimy Hog posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headphones-Lightweight-Connection-Sweatproof/dp/B01N6DC2ZE/

These are great and I've owned two pairs since they will survive ONE trip through the washing machine, but not two.

Can confirm. These are pretty choice.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Cheers guys, ordering these now.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I heard that back-lighting your TV makes movie watching more enjoyable. I mean, literally placing lights behind your screen. Any of you actually do this? What do you use?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

colas posted:

I heard that back-lighting your TV makes movie watching more enjoyable. I mean, literally placing lights behind your screen. Any of you actually do this? What do you use?

There are a ton of bias lighting kits on Amazon. Basically a semi-flexible ribbon with RGB surface mount LEDs spaced every 8-12" on two-side tape, wired back to a controller that's usually run by an IR remote control. They draw power off of a USB port, which practically all modern TVs are equipped with.

Order longer than you think you'll need, it's better to have more than not enough - you can trim the ribbon to size.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

So it's definitely a thing, ok thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

colas posted:

Luminoodle Color Bias Lighting - USB LED TV Backlight with Color, Adhesive RGB Strip Lights with Wireless Remote & Built-in Controller - X-Large (13.1 [Electronics]

I use this one. On Amazon at least they will tell you what size TV the different sizes will fit. Most TVs the USB port will turn on and off with the TV power which means once you get it setup you don't have to mess with the remote. It's honestly really nice.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have one. Though I haven't tested with and without it to see if it really reduces eye strain, it does look nice, especially if you keep your wall dust free

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

colas posted:

So it's definitely a thing, ok thanks.

My buddy’s super expensive tv has it built in. I don’t think I notice it but his tv room isn’t really lit well to begin with

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I want some solar led lights to put on my yard, any recommendations for those? Could be string lights or ground stakes, just looking for something that will last, waterproof is a must but I guess that's a given if it's for outdoors..

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

EdBlackadder posted:

I splurged and got myself some of those bone-conducting headphones a few months ago and they've been my favorite headphone purchase ever. I like not being cut off from the outside world, and the sound quality is pretty good for what they do. Almost exclusively 100% podcast usage, and I have about ten podcasts I regularly listen to (so 5-10 hours/week).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Queen Combat posted:

I splurged and got myself some of those bone-conducting headphones a few months ago and they've been my favorite headphone purchase ever.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Queen Combat posted:

I splurged and got myself some of those bone-conducting headphones a few months ago and they've been my favorite headphone purchase ever. I like not being cut off from the outside world, and the sound quality is pretty good for what they do. Almost exclusively 100% podcast usage, and I have about ten podcasts I regularly listen to (so 5-10 hours/week).

Cheers for the responses, I went with the Anker above. Bone conduction is really cool though, I quite like the isolation of in ear though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Can anyone recommend some Bluetooth microphone earbuds that play music but can also be used to do speech-to-text? My wife had a cheap swag pair, but when it went missing, I got a pair of Skullcandy (was recommended) only to find out it works for calls, but doesn't do speech-to-text. At least that's what my wife says.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Wtf awful.app, post is not edit.

I said stuff here about text to speech happening in the cloud not in the earbuds except for a couple things like Dragon Naturally Speaking but that post is gone now.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 23:40 on May 15, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I almost included it, but it's Dragon, and she's paired it with her laptop,but for whatever reason these won't work, when the conference giveaway ones would. I find it really weird that that's the case because a microphone is a microphone. I can't just play around and see if I can make it work because it's her work laptop and they are VERY SERIOUS about no one else touching it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Gotcha, hope I didn’t sound condescending. That’s a weird enough edge case that I think you’ll probably have to talk to Dragon support but maybe someone itt or in SH/SC will know. I agree though that a mic is a mic so if the laptop can see it in some contexts, it should be a selectable audio device in all contexts. Good luck!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the only fone I need is the Sports Illustrated shoe fone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Are the really highly rated $25-$50 binoculars on Amazon worth it? I am dubious because the Wirecutter pick is so much more. Looking for a smallish pair to use on a cruise to spot wildlife.