Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

CMON's Bloodborne: The Board Game is live. $90 for first day Early Bird, $100 otherwise.
Of course, you know it's going to balloon up with add-ons, so prepare (for your wallet) to die.

This should be a lot better than the Dark Souls Board Game, since it has Eric Lang behind it and they've had years to learn from that game's mistakes.

Isn't it a running joke that Eric Lang ends up with his name on 95% of Kickstarter games regardless of whether he's even played them nevermind had a hand in the design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

JazzFlight posted:

CMON's Bloodborne: The Board Game is live. $90 for first day Early Bird, $100 otherwise.
Of course, you know it's going to balloon up with add-ons, so prepare (for your wallet) to die.

This should be a lot better than the Dark Souls Board Game, since it has Eric Lang behind it and they've had years to learn from that game's mistakes.

He designed the Bloodborne card game right? How did that turn out?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I was interested in the Vampire game too, but what turned me off was how little explanation there is for the legacy aspects. On a BBG thread, the designer of the game was incredulous that people were complaining seeing as, "I've explained quite many times how the Legacy aspect of the game works on various different platforms and social media." If I have to go on websites other than your KS page to understand your game, I don't want any part of it.

Do you happen to know which other sites have the explanation? A brief look around has left me unable to find it

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

neaden posted:

It's a lot of fun, reasonably simple and fast-paced. It's relatively easy to game out with a group to where the players mostly have an idea of what the 'optimal' action is at each moment, but that's likely also a side effect of being reasonably simple.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I backed and will ride out the KS and see how it pans out. My group loves the Bloodborne card game, but demoing the Dark Souls game at Gen Con was one of the worst tabletop experiences I've ever had.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Do you happen to know which other sites have the explanation? A brief look around has left me unable to find it

According to the developer, all questions have been answered here (they haven't).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kaza42 posted:

From what I've been worked out, it works like this. (God help me, this was across like 5 sites and the test rulebook they put up.)

There are 7 "chapters" of the story*. Each chapter consists of some number of years. At the end of each chapter, at least one of the game boards changes, and the mission deck updates to the next set of missions, and various other unexplained changes occur (spoilers and such). Within a chapter, there are mission chains, completing some missions unlocks follow-up missions both within and between chapters. Missions not completed in a game are permenantly closed off. Characters upgrade over time and can be modified with stickers. Once a vampire gains a clan it can be used by other clans, but is less effective than when used by its parent clan. Characters can be put into Torpor, which removes them from the game**. Completing missions grants persistant rewards, and gives campaign points. Winning rounds also grants campaign points. Individual players can change which clan they play each round***, and being consistant grants affinity with that clan****. However, some missions are only completable with specific clans*****, so you have an incentive to switch. Each round, the winning player gains Arrogance, and the losing players gain Determination******. At the end of each chapter of the campaign, the winning player of that chapter gets to make a choice which modifies the story going forward. There is also a culminative end game event.

* Presumably each lasts 3 games as it's a 21 game campaign, but I've not seen it confirmed anywhere they're all of the same length.
** Possibly permenantly, or perhaps for a set amount of time. I couldn't work it out, but the use of Torpor rather Final Death implies they might be retrievable, possibily through missions?
*** Lore wise they are Elder vampires manipulating the clans rather than members of the clans themselves, justifying player specific bonuses and switching which clan is being played.
**** No idea what this does.
***** Or potentially just much easier to complete?
****** Who the gently caress knows what these do, but winning a round removes all your determination, so presumably it's a handicap/power up mechanic.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 23, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Between the Bloodborne game, the ladt Cthulhu Wars faction and the ability to hopefully grab the rest of the factions, and the late pledge for Krosmaster Blast ending within a week of each other, I am hurting. CW is the only known quantity from my point of view, but I have reasons to want the other two as well.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

CottonWolf posted:

** Possibly permenantly, or perhaps for a set amount of time. I couldn't work it out, but the use of Torpor rather Final Death implies they might be retrievable, possibily through missions?

I at least have an answer to this one, or rather a partial answer. One of the previewed characters has the ability to revive a character from Torpor, so it's at least possible to reverse

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Bloodborne looks pretty... meh. I platinumed the vidjagame but the systems in this thing look pretty bland, both in terms of the combat and the campaign setting. Add to that the fact that the initial stretch goals don't really add anything all that exciting (whose bright idea was it to make the Chalices and their inhabitants -- the absolute worst part of BB -- the first 500k or so of stretch goals?) and I went from being an auto-back to just sticking it on reminder. It'll collect a cool mil easy and start shoveling out add-ons that might make it more interesting but the core conceit seems pretty disappointing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kaza42 posted:

I at least have an answer to this one, or rather a partial answer. One of the previewed characters has the ability to revive a character from Torpor, so it's at least possible to reverse

Another thing that hasn't been explicitly stated, but is obviously true, is that the game will follow the VtM metaplot to some extent, so the end of the first or second chapter's likely to align with the formation of the Camarilla. I guess the discovery of the New World is another likely chapter break. Beyond that, my knowledge of when events are supposed to occur in the metaplot isn't good enough to guess at much else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

Bloodborne looks pretty... meh. I platinumed the vidjagame but the systems in this thing look pretty bland, both in terms of the combat and the campaign setting. Add to that the fact that the initial stretch goals don't really add anything all that exciting (whose bright idea was it to make the Chalices and their inhabitants -- the absolute worst part of BB -- the first 500k or so of stretch goals?) and I went from being an auto-back to just sticking it on reminder. It'll collect a cool mil easy and start shoveling out add-ons that might make it more interesting but the core conceit seems pretty disappointing.

My first rule of thumb with CMON is "the cooler the minis, the worse the game".

That said: you know it's going to fund, so you may as well back for $90 to get your early bird bonus and pull out at the end if it doesn't meet expectations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

My first rule of thumb with CMON is "the cooler the minis, the worse the game".

That said: you know it's going to fund, so you may as well back for $90 to get your early bird bonus and pull out at the end if it doesn't meet expectations.

Well, maybe that's promising, because the minis are a bit underwhelming at the moment.

You have a point on pledging the EB and waiting it out but some part of me hates to nudge the campaign upwards due to FOMO and then have inertia end up having me back it despite strong reservations about everything I've seen about the game itself.

The way I see it, I'll happily pay the $10 extra later if they introduce enough to make me regret not backing it on Day 1. But I'd rather my default state be not backing than backing, given the weak rulebook to start.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

neaden posted:

It's a lot of fun. It's not super complicated, but it's flavorful and the hand-building setup is enjoyable. The basic mechanics in the board game looked like they take some inspiration from the card game, while adding more progression and deckbuilding overall.

There's a set of 6 Design Diaries on CMON's site if you're curious about what their thought process going into the board game was. https://cmon.com/news/bloodborne-design-diary-part-1

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
Quick heads up if you're a backer of Flying Circus, the playtest PDF just went up. I'm really sorry the project is taking so long, I'm doing my best.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

open_sketchbook posted:

Quick heads up if you're a backer of Flying Circus, the playtest PDF just went up. I'm really sorry the project is taking so long, I'm doing my best.

Just looking through my copy right now, and it's looking amazing! Seems worth the wait, and I'm glad you're taking the time to do it right.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I actually backed it, but there's not much benefit to the Kickstarter over buying it at retail for this one regardless unless you really want the better deal on the addons.

Which game is this in reference to? The Vampire legacy game isn't offering the addons at retail as far as I could see.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Signal posted:

Just looking through my copy right now, and it's looking amazing! Seems worth the wait, and I'm glad you're taking the time to do it right.

If you can fill out the survey, even really shallowly, when you've finished reading and/or messing with it, that'd be so so so helpful.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

open_sketchbook posted:

Hey, it exists, so you're ahead of the curve.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

malkav11 posted:

Which game is this in reference to? The Vampire legacy game isn't offering the addons at retail as far as I could see.

Oh, I missed that. You’re right.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The last Cthulhu Wars KS is now up - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-wars-the-daemon-sultan

If you missed out on the April 1st mini KS, all the content from that is being included as optional extras here. There's also a $10 credit for folks who backed Onslaught 3.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zark the Damned posted:

The last Cthulhu Wars KS is now up - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-wars-the-daemon-sultan

If you missed out on the April 1st mini KS, all the content from that is being included as optional extras here. There's also a $10 credit for folks who backed Onslaught 3.

And a $9 shipping discount if you backed Bubastis on the 1st. They've said it will be two Kickstarters but one round of shipping.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I've never played Bloodborne, but these enemies seem kinda goofy.

Bell-ringing Women
Top Hat Mob
Rifle Spear Guy

Also do we think Gloomhaven's success is driving more games to not have dice? I do.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 24, 2019

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Defintely, was playing Lord of the Rings on the weekend and i could feel the Gloomhaven influence as i kept going.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I currently have 17 projects that I've Kickstarted arriving in the next year. I have got to stop buying more.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

djfooboo posted:

Mostly just because the game doesn't discretely name them as anything. Things like Silent Hill monsters have pretty dumb names too if left to the fans.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

darnon posted:

Mostly just because the game doesn't discretely name them as anything. Things like Silent Hill monsters have pretty dumb names too if left to the fans.

If you’re slandering pyramid head we’re gonna have words outside

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

djfooboo posted:

Bell-ringing Women

I don't know about the other two, but I have played Bloodborne and the name 'bell-ringing woman' gives me a Pavlovian twitch response.

(They resurrect dead enemies in the area until you find them and kill them.)

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
They also would allow people to invade your game.

*Shudder*

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Also spiders.... So many spiders

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

potatocubed posted:

I don't know about the other two, but I have played Bloodborne and the name 'bell-ringing woman' gives me a Pavlovian twitch response.

(They resurrect dead enemies in the area until you find them and kill them.)

And you hear them quietly weeping and ringing the bell long before you usually see them.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

And in the random dungeons, instead they summon a stream of spiders until you kill them. Starting with when the level loads. If there's one of them hanging out somewhere and you don't realize it, they can summon a massive swarm behind a door that overwhelms you when you unlock it.

gently caress the bell-ringing women, they are the worst.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Monkey Fun is doing a new Kickstarter.

"It's a Nordic Horror story game inspired by dark Scandinavian dramas like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", coupled with isolation horror such as "The Thing", and "Thirty Days of Night".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/a-town-called-malice-a-nordic-horror-story-game

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I understand Cthulhu Fatigue, but nevertheless this one caught my eye.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-of-cthulhu/description

It's a Fate-powered game with some Terminator-like elements, where the characters may have traveled back in time to prevent threats.

Fred looks like he's assembling a great, diverse team for the stretch goals, too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fate anything is worth looking into

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Sadly only ships to the US so I’ll pass for the moment.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

"It's a Nordic Horror story game inspired by dark Scandinavian dramas like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", coupled with isolation horror such as "The Thing", and "Thirty Days of Night".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/a-town-called-malice-a-nordic-horror-story-game

I'm trying very hard to not crack a very dark joke about Män som hatar kvinnor and Swedish jeepform games.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bucnasti posted:

Everything Dave does is great and I am excited for a less comedic product.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I understand Cthulhu Fatigue, but nevertheless this one caught my eye.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-of-cthulhu/description

It's a Fate-powered game with some Terminator-like elements, where the characters may have traveled back in time to prevent threats.

Fred looks like he's assembling a great, diverse team for the stretch goals, too.

I just am inherently skeptical of Fate's suitability to horror, especially cosmic horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Same which is why I'm probably gonna get the book and then mine it for resources I can use elsewhere. The idea is solid enough for me to run with it in a system I grok more.