Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Oh wow are you ok friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

!!!!!! My wife and I were watching the Alien Anthology blu-ray extras recently and I thought I had gone crazy because I could have sworn there was more on there when I had the Quadrilogy on DVD. Guess there was!

Yeah! You can see the Alien doc “The Beast Within” and the Aliens one “Superior Firepower” in their entirety on YouTube, and they are both a full hour longer. Really, really irritating. I guess maybe they wanted to avoid adding an additional disc to the blu-ray set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Really? Yeesh. I never looked. I know the Alien 3 one is longer, restoring the cut half hour from the Quad version.

There's a ton of supplement material on the last disc as well. I wonder if that might be the issue? You can hit play all to watch everything including the supplement stuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

oldpainless posted:

Got my Aliens Labyrinth in the mail and immediately found a buyer for 40 bucks. Pure profit and a good payday

Tell me you’re trolling. :catstare:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m joking yes

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Good, because I know where you live. :ninja:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't have the keys to my mailbox, so it might be a bit before I can get it out of there, if it's there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nevermind! Got the key from my roommate. Def there, and the one from my childhood! Thank you so much dude!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xenomrph posted:

Tell me you’re trolling. :catstare:

Just imagine The Rock doing the trolling, it makes it funnier.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

!!!!!! My wife and I were watching the Alien Anthology blu-ray extras recently and I thought I had gone crazy because I could have sworn there was more on there when I had the Quadrilogy on DVD. Guess there was!

I wonder why they didn't do what the Blade Runner sets did and just have the same special feature DVDs included with the blu-ray release.

Which Blu-ray set do you have? The 6-disc set from 2010 has everything from the Quadrilogy DVD set (and more).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Which Blu-ray set do you have? The 6-disc set from 2010 has everything from the Quadrilogy DVD set (and more).

That’s the one I have, and “The Beast Within” has a runtime of about two hours. The one on the Quadrilogy VHS was three hours. Same for “Superior Firewpower”, they cut an hour off.

e: here’s Superior Firepower, with its three hour runtime:

https://youtu.be/V--gH9ayR-o

I’m pretty sure the one we have on our Blu-Rays is two hours, though I can’t check right now. If you watch that YouTube video it won’t take long until you see some stuff that isn’t on the Blu-ray doc

e2: I got my Labyrinth comic. Thanks SO much for doing that, Xeno!

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That video probably adds the supplements. Which add on another hour.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, that could be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Oh wow, that set is only 20 bucks?

I'm not a big physical media guy, usually just think of it as clutter in TYOOL 2019, unless it's literally my favorite things, which Alien/s is. Might pull the trigger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not a big physical media guy, usually just think of it as clutter in TYOOL 2019, unless it's literally my favorite things, which Alien/s is. Might pull the trigger.

I wasn't a physical media guy myself until a few years ago when I saw that blu rays were being sold dirt cheap. You can get almost anything now for $20 or less. For a single movie they're often like $5-$7.

Of course, that turned into a slippery slope where I'm now spending money on UHDs, which are more expensive. So be careful.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Do it, it’s one of the best Blu-ray sets ever made. It’s got an insane amount of special features about all four movies, two versions of each movie, audio commentaries for each movie, it’s bonkers. Also if you haven’t seen the Alien3 assembly cut, it’s loving awesome.

The only Blu-ray set that even comes close is the Lord of the Rings extended edition set.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Fourth short is out. This one is pretty good too. Tied with Specimen for best so far for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv55of6Pb70

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I liked the look of the fourth short, but it doesn't really do anything new or interesting.

It sucks that all of these are going to fall into the theme of "small group runs into alien in confined area, in the dark."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s what the fans want. They just want Alien or Aliens again with no deviation to the “”””lore””””

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Got my labyrinth yesterday, read it, and lent it to a friend for a little weekend body horror.

Thanks Xeno !

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Still waiting on labyrinth. So in the meantime i finally read cold forge. This feels like a good isolation esque video game. Make isolation the theme rather than amands ripley being a constant. Good book despite my initial misgivings.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

That’s what the fans want. They just want Alien or Aliens again with no deviation to the “”””lore””””

imagine presenting your short of the hive feeding part from labyrinth to the ign/fox producers

“jesus loving christ we just wanted people running from an alien in the dark :stare::stare::stare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

On the flip side, think of the meeting that went into these short films;

Director 1: "So get this, people are running from the Alien... in the dark."
Exec: "Hmmm... yes, sounds like a fresh new idea. How about yours?"
Director 2: "It's... the same thing."
Exec: "Brilliant!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They were all picked from a fan film contest, so that tracks.

I know per Galaxy that some dude at least tried to send storyboards for the first film they did; but they didn’t use it and they blocked him after so who knows.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm not sure if this counts for CD but I was rewatching a playthrough of Alien: Isolation and still can't believe how good of a job they did with the sound and music. Do they usually announce big things in the Alien franchise for LV426 Day? How has this not been made into a sequel yet?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SyRauk posted:

I'm not sure if this counts for CD but I was rewatching a playthrough of Alien: Isolation and still can't believe how good of a job they did with the sound and music. Do they usually announce big things in the Alien franchise for LV426 Day? How has this not been made into a sequel yet?

Didnt make enough money so the sequel is a Five Nights at Freddys phone game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darko posted:

I don't think we ever got a specific reason why Blackout happened the way it did, and the best guess I heard for why we don't have Isolation 2 instead is that Creative Assembly is just flat-out too busy to make it.

Honestly, I have a weird feeling the Read/Play/Watch thing happened the way it did because that might be changing soon and they wanna get Isolation back in everyone's mind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

Also, this is corporate "not enough money," meaning everyone in the world didn't buy a copy so several million copies is a failure.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Looking it up, Sega never once specifically called A:I a failure. The closest they came was saying they had a weak fiscal year when it came out, and that was the same year Sonic Boom came out and utterly bombed, so it was less of a case of "Alien: Isolation did badly" and more "Alien: Isolation did not do well enough to paper over our other fuckup."

Sega also has nothing to do with Blackout, which is FOXNext working with D3Publisher's mobile arm. This could be a sign that Sega lost the license, but there's also the fact that the AvP arcade game is gonna be on that Capcom arcade stick thing (yet another entirely separate publisher); if anything, I'd take a shot in the dark that Fox is pulling a Games Workshop and making the Alien license non-exclusive.

e: actually, AVP Classic 2000 is also still for sale, so yeah, it's more or less already a thing that the Alien license isn't necessarily exclusive to one publisher at any given time.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 22, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Crossposting some Alien3 trivia:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Didn't realize lice was a problem in F&F.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamn, the new Alien UHD is pretty eye popping. I guess I kinda tempered my expectations because I've seen the movie a hundred times in various formats but woah. Thank you to Ridley Scott for pouring so much detail into your films, we're still reaping the benefits of it 40 years later.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Do it, it’s one of the best Blu-ray sets ever made.

For real, they look GREAT too.

Xenomrph posted:

That's the one I have, looking at it more I believe CelticPredator is correct and all of the content is on there, but it's broken up a bit differently with several parts made into separate smaller features.

I guess in a way that's kind of a step up from early Blade Runner blu-rays. If you got the multi-disk blu-ray that had EVERYTHING from the final cut DVD set only the movies were actually on blu-ray disks, the extras disks were just the exact same DVDs from the previous set.

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamn, the new Alien UHD is pretty eye popping. I guess I kinda tempered my expectations because I've seen the movie a hundred times in various formats but woah. Thank you to Ridley Scott for pouring so much detail into your films, we're still reaping the benefits of it 40 years later.

I know Blade Runner is a little more polarizing but holy poo poo that and Alien are two movies I could literally look at for the rest of my entire life, it's crazy.

Amazon's selling the Alien UHD for $14.99 right now. So do think UHD will go the way of blu-ray price-wise pretty fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There's going to be an audio drama of the William Gibson Alien 3 script with Hicks on the space station and stuff. Hicks will be voiced by Michael Biehn.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3557620/william-gibsons-unproduced-alien-3-script-getting-audio-drama-featuring-michael-biehn-hicks/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Amazon's selling the Alien UHD for $14.99 right now. So do think UHD will go the way of blu-ray price-wise pretty fast.

A lot of the older stuff that's been getting UHD releases have been going for very reasonable prices. I have Cliffhanger and Pet Semetary and they were both under $20. Predictably the Marvel/Disney stuff stays fairly high priced for a while($25-30), but Spiderman Homecoming is $19.99 these days so those come down eventually as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

I guess in a way that's kind of a step up from early Blade Runner blu-rays. If you got the multi-disk blu-ray that had EVERYTHING from the final cut DVD set only the movies were actually on blu-ray disks, the extras disks were just the exact same DVDs from the previous set.

Several years ago, the Harry Potter films were released in "Ultimate Collectors Editions" with a ton of bonus feature. Each one was released on DVD and Blu-Ray, until the final two (Deathly Hollows 1 & 2). Then they just packaged it as a one BR/DVD set. The movies were included in both formats, but the docs were only on the set in the Blu-Ray format.

The docs were pretty much the selling point for these sets, so giving a big ol finger to DVD owners at the end really sucked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Several years ago, the Harry Potter films were released in "Ultimate Collectors Editions" with a ton of bonus feature. Each one was released on DVD and Blu-Ray, until the final two (Deathly Hollows 1 & 2). Then they just packaged it as a one BR/DVD set. The movies were included in both formats, but the docs were only on the set in the Blu-Ray format.

The docs were pretty much the selling point for these sets, so giving a big ol finger to DVD owners at the end really sucked.

Do they come with commentaries yet? I’d love to see some of those on the Harry Potter films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Do they come with commentaries yet? I’d love to see some of those on the Harry Potter films.

No.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Terry Rowlings died. :smith:

He was the editor of Alien and Alien 3. I always enjoyed his interview bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

There's going to be an audio drama of the William Gibson Alien 3 script with Hicks on the space station and stuff. Hicks will be voiced by Michael Biehn.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3557620/william-gibsons-unproduced-alien-3-script-getting-audio-drama-featuring-michael-biehn-hicks/

I read the comic adaptation for that and I didn't find it all that great. It was serviceable but the pacing was weird.