Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angry Salami posted:

It's meant to be off the coast of Costa Rica, though, and Costa Rica's very willing to grant overseas corporations favorable tax deals.

There's a Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker joke in there but now I have Theories about the Monster Hunter boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
Costa Rica is Spanish for "Rich Coast"

In the first half of the 20th century Costa Rica was, as many other countries in Latin America, plagued by civil wars and military dictatorship. However in 1949 they solved this problem by just abolishing the armed forces in their entirety.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Apr 23, 2019

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Forever I will be baffled how apparently ingen or whatever company owned jurassic world thought it was more cost effective to import American teenagers to act as carnies rather than hiring a local Costa Rican

it appeases the racist white people who will go ballistic if they have to try and understand an accent.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
In s1e16 of Brooklyn 99 a supposed foodie character says that shiso will impart an umami flavor. Shiso is a Japanese perennial that tastes something like a cross between basil, mint, and parsley. It's vivid and herbal, really great, and pretty much the opposite of umami. I'm a hundred years late with this irrational irritation but if you haven't tried shiso yet I hear it is available in a lot of asian grocers nowadays and it makes an excellent chimichurri.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Elfgames posted:

it appeases the racist white people who will go ballistic if they have to try and understand an accent.

I once had to stay at an airport hotel in Zurich. On my way in the doors I heard (but sadly didn't get to see) a very loud American man yell "my god does anyone in this country speak English?!" followed by a very confused Swiss man repeating it back to him in perfect English. I just wish I'd gotten to see him try to figure out the light switches when he finally got to his room.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw Captain Marvel on the weekend and I cannot see a little rinky-dink honky-tonk country bar having Garbage playing on their wurlitzer-rear end jukebox

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Phy posted:

I saw Captain Marvel on the weekend and I cannot see a little rinky-dink honky-tonk country bar having Garbage playing on their wurlitzer-rear end jukebox

It's fairly obviously in California and they needed something to appeal to "those types" was my take

Actually my take was that I didn't think about it but this is the IIMM thread

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One troubling realization after watching the new Avengers movie:

Cap kissed his niece on the lips

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

what, you don't?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No... Kinda. It's not like they had, you know, fondue or anything...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Apr 25, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How does the guy with the map be the only one lost? Why doesn’t the captain seem to care that some dudes are left in the alien temple when they don’t know the danger? Why does the scientist just take off his helmet when he could die? Why is there a giant head in the room? Why is the space jockey now so much smaller than before? Is it because it’s a bad movie?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

Is it because it’s a bad movie?

:outoftouchskinner:
No...it is the audiences who are wrong.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

How does the guy with the map be the only one lost? Why doesn’t the captain seem to care that some dudes are left in the alien temple when they don’t know the danger? Why does the scientist just take off his helmet when he could die? Why is there a giant head in the room? Why is the space jockey now so much smaller than before? Is it because it’s a bad movie?

Who cares when Shaw has that caesarion baby

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

1. They don't have a complete map, he's the guy responsible for mapping the place but it's huge, his little robot things are still doing their work at the time the storm hits.

2. What is the captain to do? They're stuck in the ship overnight and he assumes they've bedded down for the night. At that point there was nothing specific to be afraid of yet.

3. The scientist who takes his helmet off is correct, the atmosphere is breathable. The instruments say that it is safe to breath, and they are correct.

4. Not sure if you're even serious about this one, but the head is from the decapitated Engineer that they found dead on the outside of the room.

5. This Engineer/space jockey is not the same as the one on LV-426 in the original Alien film. One possible answer is that there are different factions of Engineer who are of different sizes, or even simpler, maybe each Engineer's cockpit is custom
fitted to them, and being individuals, they aren't all the same size. The Engineer in Prometheus is still much bigger than a regular human.

6. Prometheus is one of the best sci-fi films of the past 20 years. So no would be the answer on that one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Is Prometheus good or bad" is the CineD equivalent of tipping or circumcision. Please do not bring that evil in here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

"Is Prometheus good or bad" is the CineD equivalent of tipping or circumcision. Please do not bring that evil in here.

Prometheus came out seven years ago now. I think the fact that it still sparks so much conversation says something about it on it's own.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

1. They don't have a complete map, he's the guy responsible for mapping the place but it's huge, his little robot things are still doing their work at the time the storm hits.

2. What is the captain to do? They're stuck in the ship overnight and he assumes they've bedded down for the night. At that point there was nothing specific to be afraid of yet.

3. The scientist who takes his helmet off is correct, the atmosphere is breathable. The instruments say that it is safe to breath, and they are correct.

4. Not sure if you're even serious about this one, but the head is from the decapitated Engineer that they found dead on the outside of the room.

5. This Engineer/space jockey is not the same as the one on LV-426 in the original Alien film. One possible answer is that there are different factions of Engineer who are of different sizes, or even simpler, maybe each Engineer's cockpit is custom
fitted to them, and being individuals, they aren't all the same size. The Engineer in Prometheus is still much bigger than a regular human.

6. Prometheus is one of the best sci-fi films of the past 20 years. So no would be the answer on that one.

I will say I like the explanation of the first space jockey being the Andre the giant among them and everyone else being normal

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

1stGear posted:

There is no running away from Prometheus discussions, you just have to sidestep it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mierenneuker posted:

There is no running away from Prometheus discussions, you just have to sidestep it.

:golfclap:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ive not seen Prometheus but maybe I'll do that tonight

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Like Starship Troopers, Prometheus is better when you approach it as a comedy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, nobody else gets lost though. And not only that, map guy leaves first, everybody else leaves later, they get back to the car before him and nobody's like "weird" ??

Its a plot hole.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basebf555 posted:

Who cares? Its SPACE. 1. There could be deadly bacteria or who knows what in the air, 2. There's no hospital within light years.

Leave your helmet ON.

I can excuse this one though because movies wanna show off their actor's faces. But its still dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

All that said, I do think its an okay movie and better than alien covenant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why Ridley Scott is so obsessed with answering the "where do we come from?" question when nobody actually cares. It's far more interesting being a mystery, but yeah he doubles down on that Covenant out of spite.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Covenant is better than Prometheus and I base this on the fact that I haven't seen Covenant.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Covenant only makes sense if you assume Cabin In The Woods rules made the movie happen.

That and twin androids gay fluting each other.

Serf
May 5, 2011

covenant is good if only for the two androids having one of the more disturbing fight scenes i've seen in a movie

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Serf posted:

covenant is good if only for the two androids having one of the more disturbing fight scenes i've seen in a movie

Also the flashback to the engineers getting bionuked.

It's the same principle as the C-section - I don't care if you make a lovely horror movie, as long as there's one or two moments that leave a lasting impression.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Covenant is so loving bad it makes Prometheus look like Alien

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Basebf555 posted:

He's got a map of *everywhere he has been*. This map is linked to the ship, with a little dot showing his location, and he is in constant communication with the people looking at that map.

quote:

"Breathable atmosphere" does not mean "safe." A safe mix of breathing gases does not mean that the air is free of pathogens or toxins. For that matter, when they arrived on the surface of the planet it's stated that the atmosphere is 3% CO2, 71% nitrogen, and 23% oxygen, with some argon making up the rest. That right there is entirely breathable, so if "breathable" does mean "safe" then he didn't need the helmet in the first place. But instead we're told that it's so deadly it'll kill you in two minutes. Then they put on full-body suits. Which again, if the only issue is the breathing mix you don't need, and a breathing mask would work fine. You only need the barrier of a full suit to protect you against other things, and you would lose that protection if you took off your helmet.

Taking off the helmet makes no sense whatsoever, even by the movie's own rules.

quote:

Which they experiment on by saying "Hey, let's hook it up to electricity!" And then it explodes for no reason. Then they do a DNA analysis on the remaining goo (note that requesting a "DNA analysis" of an unknown alien life form is itself a giant assumption) and find out the DNA is identical to humans. "They created everything" a character announces. What, even cabbages? Why isn't their DNA identical to cabbages, then?

quote:

Nothing about it is even remotely scientifically accurate or realistic. It has no internal consistency, reason, or logic. Characters do not have motivations, they simply do inexplicable things because the plot, such as it is, requires them to do those things. It's an idiot movie about idiots for idiots. It's one of the worst sci-fi films of ever.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alien is a good remake of Planet of the Vampires

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

To be clear, the big head I referred to is the big stone head that’s 20 feet tall, not the decapitated head. I’m not an idiot like what his name oh yeah MR DONALD TRIMP

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Annihilation was a great sci-fi movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Very little in horror movies or sci fi movies has disturbed me as much as those trees shaped like people. I dunno why, but man that was creepy as hell.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Very little in horror movies or sci fi movies has disturbed me as much as those trees shaped like people. I dunno why, but man that was creepy as hell.

See the show Over The Garden Wall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Covenant is so loving bad it makes Prometheus look like Alien

I went into Covenant thinking ‘how bad could it be?’

I was rooting for the aliens before it was half over.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Annihilation is one of the better body horror sci-fi movies I've seen in a while. Honestly I think that was what was lacking from Ridley Scott's Prometheus & Alien:Covenant. That said, the c-section in the former film & the fate of Shaw in the latter almost count.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Phanatic posted:

Which they experiment on by saying "Hey, let's hook it up to electricity!" And then it explodes for no reason. Then they do a DNA analysis on the remaining goo (note that requesting a "DNA analysis" of an unknown alien life form is itself a giant assumption) and find out the DNA is identical to humans. "They created everything" a character announces. What, even cabbages? Why isn't their DNA identical to cabbages, then?

We share like 50 percent of our DNA with cabbages. So. Technically they found DNA quite similar to cabbages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Annihilation was a great sci-fi movie.

I had such a dumb smile at the scene with the Thing homage when I realised the whole film is the Thing but inside out.

I was not smiling by the end of that scene.