Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrOnBicycle posted:

How much more are the hybrid to buy/lease though?

Price premiums are pretty small now. The Insight is like a 12% price premium over the Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

EnergizerFellow posted:

Seem under-damped too.

If you want to see some runs of beauty from things you wouldn't expect, check out any of the CUVs from Audi or PSA:

Another surprise was how poorly the 2016 GTI performed.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Price premiums are pretty small now. The Insight is like a 12% price premium over the Civic.

That's good that it's become smaller, but it's easy to get swayed by savings on gas without actually doing the math on how long and how much you have to drive before it is actually cheaper. Common mistake here in Sweden where cars are much more expensive and the difference between ICE vs hybrid is larger. Hell even between diesel and gas the difference is enough to really warrant doing the math.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keep in mind that you probably don't have to cover the entire price difference through savings. A used current gen Insight is going to be worth more than a used Civic ceteris paribus. So you're covering maybe $2500 on the purchase price in difference, but when you depreciate the cars down to ~10,000, the Insight is probably going to command a similar 10% price premium - that means you only really have to cover $1500 in gas savings over your ownership, which is $300/year for five years. At 15,000 annual miles, published ratings at current fuel prices means the Insight saves you about $800/year in gas.

If you are considering buying a Civic, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't buy the Insight instead - unless you a) really want a manual transmission b) are buying a Si or R or c) really want a hatchback.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SlapActionJackson posted:

Near as makes no difference 0% of American drivers would ever steer that aggressively under any circumstances, especially CUV drivers. So the emergency handling characteristics are purely academic. How does it fare when you crash into the moose because the driver didn't know how to avoid it?

I was going to say, an American would just drive right through and post to Instagram.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, there's zero possibility that an american trained driver would EVER enter control inputs that abrupt.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Goober Peas posted:

I was going to say, an American would just drive right through and [while] post[ing] to Instagram.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, there's zero possibility that an american trained driver would EVER enter control inputs that abrupt.

Well, considering some of the videos I've seen Americans are capable of quite abrupt inputs, they are not as precise and intended. But when they try the panic swerves, this test can give an indication how badly the car will get out of control.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well it's good to see the Miata is exactly as advertised. Body roll for days, zero loss of control or traction. The bigger surprise for me is how cleanly the bigass Volvo SUVs and wagons carved through that.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Honda FitJazz aced both tests and only slightly clipped one cone at 52mph :smug:

I also love how "Hyundai i10" in Spanish sounds like "Hyundai Idiot"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently the Baby Bronco may be called a Scout https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/22/ford-trademarks-scout-bronco-scout-names/

This makes me very angry.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Apparently the Baby Bronco may be called a Scout https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/22/ford-trademarks-scout-bronco-scout-names/

gonna stick IH badges on em

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mustache Ride posted:

This is bad, but still not as bad what BMW and MB have done with the word “coupe.”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This is bad, but still not as bad what BMW and MB have done with the word “coupe.”

it's technically correct if you wanna go back far enough, coupe is just a cut-down body style (like a coupe glass is a cut off wine glass) so like the X6 is just a cut-down version of the X5, and the 4 series gran coupe is a bigger 4 series which is already a coupe 3 series - i personally think they should have called it the 3 series coupe and drowned the 3 series gt in the bathtub but if you look at the 3 gt and the 4 gran coupe next to each other and manage not to barf, the 4 series gran coupe is much more steeply raked and cut down compared to the 3 gt

if anything they're returning the style to its roots :gritin:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's technically correct if you wanna go back far enough, coupe is just a cut-down body style (like a coupe glass is a cut off wine glass) so like the X6 is just a cut-down version of the X5, and the 4 series gran coupe is a bigger 4 series which is already a coupe 3 series - i personally think they should have called it the 3 series coupe and drowned the 3 series gt in the bathtub but if you look at the 3 gt and the 4 gran coupe next to each other and manage not to barf, the 4 series gran coupe is much more steeply raked and cut down compared to the 3 gt

if anything they're returning the style to its roots :gritin:

I was going to jump in with "well what's the CLA coupe a cut down version then" and then I realized there's also an A class sedan?

One of these is a sedan and one of these is a coupe? :shrug:

I increasingly get the feeling that these are just nonsense names slapped on to Chinese market cars that have Chinese names that make sense but are untranslatable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
LMAO I see one difference: on the sedan you can just reach out and touch the entire exposed bare rear end metal door. The coupe at least has frameless windows so you can only just see the bare rear end metal through the 2" panel gap.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrYenko posted:

Or Mitsubishi Eclipse

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

LMAO I see one difference: on the sedan you can just reach out and touch the entire exposed bare rear end metal door. The coupe at least has frameless windows so you can only just see the bare rear end metal through the 2" panel gap.

I will never not lol at the tablet-stuck-on the-dashboard style that's currently happening.
What the gently caress lol, it seems so lazy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hooooo boy that Bronco looks like deep-fried dogshit.

Looks like an Avalanche hosed a shortbed Frontier which hosed a mid-aughts F150. Or maybe late-aughts Durango.

Woof.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 23, 2019

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

is that not the test mule??

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skipopatomus posted:

is that not the test mule??

The proportions are awful. Like yeah it’ll look different than that specific photo but it looks turrrrible overall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

The proportions are awful. Like yeah it’ll look different than that specific photo but it looks turrrrible overall.

do you dress yourself in the morning?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Powershift posted:

do you dress yourself in the morning?

Sometimes

(There are other pics yknow)

rear end end looks like a Colorado finished off a chocolate cake solo.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 23, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Sometimes

All that pic of a test mule tells you about what the bronco will look like, is it's wheelbase and wheel size.

Based on the only actual pic we have of it, the teaser, it will be extremely similar proportionally to the old bronco concept.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

All that pic of a test mule tells you about what the bronco will look like, is it's wheelbase and wheel size.

Based on the only actual pic we have of it, the teaser, it will be extremely similar proportionally to the old bronco concept.

Hope for more G-Wagen and less Ford F350 for styling.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Powershift posted:

I guess I’ll just eat poo poo on this one because a) I had seen that latest profile with the car cover and b) all the concept photos matched pretty closely with that mule. With it being based on a lot of components from the new ranger it seemed like body shape could be an (extremely ugly) approximation.

My bad.

KakerMix posted:

Hope for more G-Wagen and less Ford F350 for styling.

Agreed.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Or Mitsubishi Eclipse
I may or may not have taken a second look at a new generic grocery getter with some super rakish modern styling... I knew it was a grocery getter cause this was in the grocery store parking lot... saw the Mitsubishi badge and felt sad.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I hope it doesn't take much from the ranger. I've seen a few in person now and there's something that's off with the proportions.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1121104031362027520

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

How the gently caress does that happen?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thwomp posted:

How the gently caress does that happen?

Get this, everything they build suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

They built a business on financing people for 96 months at 23% and they're out of idiots.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Its time to drum up some new cosmetic packages!
Im loving hyped for the 2025 Frontier, 370z, AND GT-R sticker packages. Maybe some red stitching on the seats. Man those are going to be great.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

370z Nismo R Nurburgring edition

CVT only

i guess the fact that their old poo poo still passes crash tests means they had people there who gave a poo poo at one point.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 24, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Powershift posted:

370z Nismo R Nurburgring edition

CVT only

As long as the CVT keeps the revs at continuous peak horsepower, sounds good to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

As long as the CVT keeps the revs at continuous peak horsepower, sounds good to me.

It won't be, like all nissan CVTs, it's only purpose is to drain any remaining joy out of driving.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

It won't be, like all nissan CVTs, it's only purpose is to drain any remaining joy out of driving.

And all of the fluid from itself, into the coolant.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Get this, everything they build suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

They built a business on financing people for 96 months at 23% and they're out of idiots.

I still see a shitload of their cars though. Rogues and Versa's are everywhere.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Every Altima I've seen recently has been a rental.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

I still see a shitload of their cars though. Rogues and Versa's are everywhere.

There’s a lot of subprime buyers out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

LeeMajors posted:

Sometimes

rear end end looks like a Colorado finished off a chocolate cake solo.

Because its literally a bobbed pickup truck body on there. No pictures of a finished product, even in camo, exist in the wild.