Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The latest reporting makes it sound like the "upgrade" version will mostly just have a better screen. I could see them phasing out the original model to sell a portable 3DS-replacement model and an XL version for people that mostly play on their couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How has everyone neglected to mention that Shakedown Hawaii got a release date and that release date is 2 weeks from now!!!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/shakedown_hawaii_finally_gets_a_launch_date_on_switch

Currently watching this on twitch, and the game is really rad. Systems on systems that look fun to do, funny engaging(though at first glance narratively confusing) writing, and a fully destructible open world. Gonna be the best GTA in years.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't this shown to be actually bullshit? I thought I saw a video or read an article explaining what the ram expansion was, and why it wasn't literally more RAM, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It really does double the amount of available RAM. You may be thinking of the Donkey Kong 64 cockup where they had to package the expansion with the game even though it shouldn't have required it, because it was programmed like poo poo and would randomly crash without the expansion installed and nobody could figure out why.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wasn't this shown to be actually bullshit? I thought I saw a video or read an article explaining what the ram expansion was, and why it wasn't literally more RAM, but maybe I'm misremembering.

It really added ram, which some games really used, but it was BS that DK64 needed it. If you bypass the check it runs just fine without it. They packed it in and required it because the game had a memory leak they couldn't find that would crash it in a couple hours. With the extra ram it took significantly longer to crash. So they just did that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

They need to update the old games to take advantage of it

which they wouldn't
yeah, it's this

allowing for better performance and implementing better performance are two very different things

are you confusing it with the DK64 thing? because that game didn't actually need the extra ram, it just had a memory leak that would crash the game they couldn't manage to fix but with the extra ram from the expansion pak it took long enough to crash the game that most people wouldn't notice :pram:

e: beaten on sick dk lore

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, ok, it definitely was the DK64 thing I was thinking of. All good. Thanks, the 3 of you. No joke, I love it when multiple people answer my question, because a lot of the times, slightly different details are given, and it just fleshes out the answer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bushisms.txt posted:

Gonna be the only GTA in years.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
A more contrasty screen would go a long way on the Switch. Boldly colored Nintendo games tend to look good on it, but when you get into dank third-party stuff like, say, Dragon's Dogma and Mortal Kombat, it's really not up to it, unless you're playing in the dark with the brightness turned all the way up.

Like, I recently upgraded to a current iPhone, and holy crap, now that is a screen. I don't expect them to go that crazy, but there's clearly room for improvement.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They packed it in and required it because the game had a memory leak they couldn't find that would crash it in a couple hours. With the extra ram it took significantly longer to crash. So they just did that.

Ah, my day job.

We're up to 16GB-by-default now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shart Carbuncle posted:

A more contrasty screen would go a long way on the Switch. Boldly colored Nintendo games tend to look good on it, but when you get into dank third-party stuff like, say, Dragon's Dogma and Mortal Kombat, it's really not up to it, unless you're playing in the dark with the brightness turned all the way up.
I was thinking the same, since I'm playing Dragon's Dogma

it's the first Switch game I play that's actually hard to make out even with the screen brightness set to full, and the ingame brightness setting only washes out the colors and doesn't really help

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Your Computer posted:

I was thinking the same, since I'm playing Dragon's Dogma

it's the first Switch game I play that's actually hard to make out even with the screen brightness set to full, and the ingame brightness setting only washes out the colors and doesn't really help

At the very least future switch screens need to be better at reducing glare and being used in even medium light situations outside.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vegastar posted:

Yes, yes and yes.

We hang out in this here discord: https://discord.gg/X4paV8

Otherwise just hop in to the warframe console thread and post your in game name and one of us can shoot you an invite. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860232

How timely. Me in the last 6 weeks

“Diablo III on my Switch is awesome but I wish I could be a shootyman > Yeah this Division 2 game is awesome but I can’t take my PS4 on the road > Hrmmm. What about that Warframe thingy?”

Yeah I could have gone from DIII to Warframe but I’m glad I got the division 2 it’s fun. Wish borderlands was on switch but this is good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pop-in for Dragon's Dogma is a bit severe. I'm talking like, "turn a corner and watch a box and an NPC load 10 feet in front of you" bad.

Not detracting from my enjoyment but man I haven't seen anything like this in a while.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't understand how my copy of Dragon's Dogma went from being in the carrier facility in my town yesterday to halfway across the country now but ok.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It really added ram, which some games really used, but it was BS that DK64 needed it. If you bypass the check it runs just fine without it. They packed it in and required it because the game had a memory leak they couldn't find that would crash it in a couple hours. With the extra ram it took significantly longer to crash. So they just did that.

I love this story so much, has anyone ever figured out what caused this? Is the leak still a thing in emulated version of the game?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

I love this story so much, has anyone ever figured out what caused this? Is the leak still a thing in emulated version of the game?

I don't know if it was ever revealed or discovered what exactly caused it, it's just some kind of memory leak that takes longer to crash with the expansion pack

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shammypants posted:

At the very least future switch screens need to be better at reducing glare and being used in even medium light situations outside.

Yeah the screen on the switch is honestly kind of poo poo.

Selling a revision with a better screen as a selling point doesn't seem like it would many units compared to it just being cheaper so I doubt they are going to do that though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Assuming an accurate emulator, yes. The Virtual Console version still crashes if you play it for long enough, and it's actually more common for a player to run into it there since you can suspend the game's state between sessions instead of "powering off".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think the Switch screen is fine but I've never actually taken it out of the house.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Andrast posted:

Yeah the screen on the switch is honestly kind of poo poo.

Selling a revision with a better screen as a selling point doesn't seem like it would many units compared to it just being cheaper so I doubt they are going to do that though.

This is around the point in a console's lifecycle where they drop the price, so an upgraded screen could just give them an excuse to hold the MSRP at $300 for another few years

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't understand how my copy of Dragon's Dogma went from being in the carrier facility in my town yesterday to halfway across the country now but ok.

Buddy, DO NOT hold out on where we can get Goldeneye on the Switch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Assuming an accurate emulator, yes. The Virtual Console version still crashes if you play it for long enough, and it's actually more common for a player to run into it there since you can suspend the game's state between sessions instead of "powering off".

Oh that's beautiful, how long does it take for it to happen?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I want to say it's a single digit number of hours. I got to see the crash in person when the game was new at a friend's house when we stayed up all night playing it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Two Worlds when Nintendo? I want to explore the taint.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think the Switch screen is fine but I've never actually taken it out of the house.

yeah it really suffers out of doors or under a break room's harsh unforgiving fluorescent lighting

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I want to say it's a single digit number of hours. I got to see the crash in person when the game was new at a friend's house when we stayed up all night playing it.

That really isn't that long, I'm wondering if this is a Rare thing because I think Banjo-Kazooie has something similar, but you have to leave the game running for hours and it starts to develop a lot of graphical issues for some reason but I don't think it crashes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

morestuff posted:

an XL version for people that mostly play on their couch

I have good news for those people.:v:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

indigi posted:

yeah it really suffers out of doors or under a break room's harsh unforgiving fluorescent lighting

so it’s like a goon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the switch screen is pretty lame for a portable.
Dragons dogma is pretty washed out looking in particular but I found the same with BOTW. I think Mario odyssey and kart look amazing handheld though.

Remember the OLED Vita :allears:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hahaha figured out Prison all on my own and I feel like a loving genius!!! Such a good game.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The Switch XL doesn't have the girth I require. I need the Switch Magnum.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hi Thread! My amazing and awesome wife surprised me with a Switch, a copy of Zelda Breath of The Wilde, And a Zelda Theme carrying case for my Birthday! Yes she's the best ever and I don't know how I'm going to top it for her birthday..

..anyway, I guess I'm a member of the club now! I was thinking of getting a 128gb Sandisk and memory card. Was thinking of also getting Smash and Mario Kart and a Pro Controller.

I saw that Cuphead is now on Switch! How is the port? I played it some at my buddie's on his PS4, I figure it would be a nature fit on a switch given it's portability.

I take Metro to work, so I am stoked to start playing games on my ride home, and then seamlessly plug it right into my TV.

Any other suggestions for peripherals not already mentioned in the OP? Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sell everything and offer to buy your buddy's PS4.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Cuphead port is flawless by all accounts. Come back in three months when you've sunk 200+ hours into BotW and we'll give you some new game recommendations!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Breath of the Wild gets a VR mode starting tomorrow if you want to get the $40 VR starter kit

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How on earth did you play Cuphead on PS4.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Really carefully!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Chromecast to PS4 + Xbox Live app

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Controls seemed to work fine ? That said we died...a lot. But I'm told that is normal so :shrug:

Anyway I haven't played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time (I replayed link to the past on SNES classic tho) so I'm pretty stoked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Breath of the Wild gets a VR mode starting tomorrow if you want to get the $40 VR starter kit

I totally forgot about this, and never even built the Blaster in my Starter Kit, wonder if I'll ever bother now.