Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

Trainings, cost of goods, social media posts if you’ve got any kind of following, that sort of thing.

And definitely ask for more money if you’re worth it.

I mean, it's not hard to raise cost of goods, just order more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
That...is not how that KPI works...but I like your style!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've been out of the industry for... five years now?

Last night I had a ticket dream.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Wroughtirony posted:

My problem is going to a place I worked at years ago to eat... and starting to get up and go back to work when I hear the printer sing the song of it's people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mithross posted:

My problem is going to a place I worked at years ago to eat... and starting to get up and go back to work when I hear the printer sing the song of it's people.

Stockholm Syndrome is real, people.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Wroughtirony posted:

I've been "retired" for about 10, and 2 weeks ago I was in the weeds with an endless stream of breakfast sandwiches, of all things.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

It's not just the industry; I still regularly have nightmares about my job working in a theatre/conference center that I haven't been at since 2012. Of course, I'm also one of those folks with the recurring "holy poo poo I haven't been to math class all year in high school and now I won't pass the final" nightmare --- I'm turning 45 next week, I haven't been in high school for the last 28 years.

That said, yeah, when it's my day off and I'm patronizing another restaurant, hearing the ticket printer makes me twitch a bit. I was once seated close to a place's open kitchen, and almost instinctively yelled back a "HEARD" when they called for something.

Tonight our POS kept sending certain bar orders back to the salad station, so I kept hearing the printer, jumping up and running over there, just to find out yet another person with obscenely poor taste was taking advantage of our special on Michelob Ultra. :argh:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Told my current employers I'd had an interview, because they've been nothing but good to me my whole time with them.

Not 15 minutes later they've got a posting up for my job. Apparently they are done with me either way.

Honestly I don't blame them, they have to act like I'm gone and start trying to fill the spot, and I guess I'd rather feel irritated they didn't wait than guilty for making long term plans with them I'm not sure I'll actually keep. But still it stings.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mithross posted:

Told my current employers I'd had an interview, because they've been nothing but good to me my whole time with them.

Not 15 minutes later they've got a posting up for my job. Apparently they are done with me either way.

Honestly I don't blame them, they have to act like I'm gone and start trying to fill the spot, and I guess I'd rather feel irritated they didn't wait than guilty for making long term plans with them I'm not sure I'll actually keep. But still it stings.

It’s a business

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So over the past year or so, I've been putting pressure on my GM and our corporate parent company to get away from some of the bad practices the industry is known for. Late last year, we eliminated unpaid staging and put in place a "discretionary payout" system to pay stages for their shift, and today I got the news that the pay scale restructure I've been fighting for has gone through. All my cooks are getting raises from 3 to 5 dollars, and it is resetting their time counter for reviews to a clean slate for us to begin doing scheduled reviews for raises.

It's a good day.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That’s loving awesome.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Mithross posted:

But still it stings.

Never expect a company to ever have any loyalty to you.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So over the past year or so, I've been putting pressure on my GM and our corporate parent company to get away from some of the bad practices the industry is known for. Late last year, we eliminated unpaid staging and put in place a "discretionary payout" system to pay stages for their shift, and today I got the news that the pay scale restructure I've been fighting for has gone through. All my cooks are getting raises from 3 to 5 dollars, and it is resetting their time counter for reviews to a clean slate for us to begin doing scheduled reviews for raises.

It's a good day.

That loving rules. Good for you, man. We need more people like you around.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

Never expect a company to ever have any loyalty to you.

It's hard to care about an employee who says "I am actively looking to leave." Keep that stuff to yourself until you've accepted an offer. Now if you don't get one your bosses won't believe you're not ready to jump ship at a moment's notice.

Unless it was some power play to get a raise, but I dunno if that game is worth playing either.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You told them you're leaving, or at least planning on leaving soon, why wouldn't they start looking to replace you? Is your job a sinecure that exists solely to employ you or is it a necessary function of the business?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know why you would tell them you were looking unless you were part time and this was going to be a second gig and you might want them to say nice things about you, or as a play to get more money.

On the upside, if you get the other gig you don't have to feel guilty about giving them any other notice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mithross posted:

You told them before you had an offer in hand. Rookie mistake, they have to assume you're out the door already if you're far enough gone to be interviewing. Supporting them on long term planning issues is why you give notice rather than walk out with both middle fingers raised the moment you sign a new contract.

It's a good day.

Hell yeah, well done!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

To be more clear, I currently work at a small place directly for the owners. There is exactly one local business that pays more than them, and that only for sous chef and above positions. I didn't tell them "I'm actively looking for other employment" but "the one place that pays more than you contacted me to soft offer me 60%+ more than you are able to pay me and I followed up. If this falls through I have no intention or desire to look elsewhere for work, but that was a single opportunity too good to pass up." So I understand them going ahead to look for a replacement, but I do wish they had waited the one to two days for me to hear back.

Possibly I should have waited, but like I said, they've been good to me and I felt guilty. I suppose I should work on that.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 26, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mithross posted:

To be more clear, I currently work at a small place directly for the owners. There is exactly one local business that pays more than them, and that only for sous chef and above positions. I didn't tell them "I'm actively looking for other employment" but "the one place that pays more than you contacted me to soft offer me 60%+ more than you are able to pay me and I followed up. If this falls through I have no intention or desire to look elsewhere for work, but that was a single opportunity too good to pass up." So I understand them going ahead to look for a replacement, but I do wish they had waited the one to two days for me to hear back.

Possibly I should have waited, but like I said, they've been good to me and I felt guilty. I suppose I should work on that.

You shouldn't have said poo poo until it was a sure thing, because you don't owe them that heads up. I'm trying really hard not to take managements side (because gently caress management, if you'd told us you walked out backwards with both middle fingers extended and zero notice there'd be a clapping emoji in this post), but what on earth were they supposed to do with this knowledge aside from try and find someone to replace you?

Never feel guilty about trying to do right for yourself.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Skwirl posted:

You shouldn't have said poo poo until it was a sure thing, because you don't owe them that heads up. I'm trying really hard not to take managements side (because gently caress management, if you'd told us you walked out backwards with both middle fingers extended and zero notice there'd be a clapping emoji in this post), but what on earth were they supposed to do with this knowledge aside from try and find someone to replace you?

Never feel guilty about trying to do right for yourself.

This is fair and accurate but sometimes you can't help the way your brain dysfunctions.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I went to 2 interviews and an hour long talk w the owner, HR, and GM of a spot and didn't say poo poo to my employer until I had a printed offer letter because I wasn't even trying to leave that job it was just an opportunity to renegotiate my contract.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mithross posted:

This is fair and accurate but sometimes you can't help the way your brain dysfunctions.

You need to, if you're going to stay in the industry.

There are two truths to changing jobs in food service:

1. Never burn bridges you don't have to, it's a small industry and everyone in town knows everyone else by reputation at least. Be polite, be professional, but do what is best for you.

2. If you don't have an ownership interest in a restaurant, how it copes with you leaving is none of your concern.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Liquid Communism posted:

1. Never burn bridges you don't have to, it's a small industry and everyone in town knows everyone else by reputation at least. Be polite, be professional, but do what is best for you.

2. If you don't have an ownership interest in a restaurant, how it copes with you leaving is none of your concern.

3. Unless you're literally Thomas Keller, you're replaceable, don't take it personally.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mithross posted:

Your boss / owner, much like any HR department in any industry, is not your friend, and their only priority is their bottom line and protecting themselves. You showed your hand way too early; like Liquid Communism said, by telling them that you had a soft offer, you were basically telling them, :siren:"This guy has at least one foot out the door and we need to replace him":siren:. I get the idea of wanting to be nice, because you like the owners or whatever, but you sent a message that you're checked-out.

No employer deserves that kind of loyalty, because they will not show it to you apart from exceptionally rare cases. Wouldn't be shocked if those owners call the other place and torpedo you, honestly.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

My current employers spoke to me today, they told me even with the job posting my job is secure if I don’t get the sous position; they will simply switch from looking for a full time to a part time cook. They thanked me for the additional notice and I mostly believe them.

So I seem to be ok this time, but I will take the multiple peoples advice and keep my cards closer to me chest going forward. I wasn’t being sarcastic when I said I needed to work on that guilty feeling. I know business is business, first and foremost. I just am bad but hopefully getting better at acting like it.

(An honest thank you for everyone trying to pound that into my head. It will give me something to think about when I start to screw that up again)

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Mithross posted:

My current employers spoke to me today, they told me even with the job posting my job is secure if I don’t get the sous position; they will simply switch from looking for a full time to a part time cook. They thanked me for the additional notice and I mostly believe them.

Have you ever asked a significant other what was wrong and they said everything was fine? Did you believe them? :v:

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
I am not eat breakfast food.

Wroughtirony posted:

I worked for 6 years at a scratch brunch place, did about 30-45 covers an hour alone, handling dish and glasswashing as well.

Very slim menu with limited options (no two-egg/meat/toast breakfast!) so it was relatively doable, even with the archaic equipment there.

We had waffle irons, and used waffles instead of potato on our plates, basically. Not professional waffle irons, Cuisinart ones. They were good, but not professional ones.

They beeped. Incessantly. All at slightly different tones. We'd run four of them at the same time, all beeping slightly out of rhythm. We were on one of those kitschy Food Network shows that feature smaller restaurants, and I can't watch the episode that we were on because of that beeping.

Two years into the beeping, I broke down. I flipped an iron onto it's back, revealing it's soft plastic underbelly, grabbed a boning knife to take out the screws, and ripped the little piezoelectric disc out. Finally it hushed. Immediately did the other three. Every time we replaced one, I'd quietly unbox it out of sight of the owner and disable it's beeper. Went through dozens of the drat things.

I hadn't heard that beeping in four years.

My local after-work bar/smokehouse just decided to add chicken and waffles to their menu.

I twitched immediately when I heard that goddamn beep. I've asked them multiple times if I could PLEASE go back there and disable the beeper.

I have to find a new bar because of that infernal beeping.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

JoshGuitar posted:

Have you ever asked a significant other what was wrong and they said everything was fine? Did you believe them? :v:

As I said, mostly. These are people I’ve known for years. I’m sure they aren’t happy but believe they aren’t going to get rid of me either. There just aren’t enough cooks in the area, pretty much every local place is constantly trying to fill at least one hole.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

I heard someone at a bar once start losing his mind, yelling to his friends "I'm so sick of it! loving sick of it! That God damned printer, all night, DEDEEDEEDEDEEDEEDEDEEDEE! I can't loving take it anymore!"

I've never felt for someone so deeply.

Mithross posted:

pretty much every local place is constantly trying to fill at least one hole.

:wink:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mithross posted:

There just aren’t enough cooks in the area, pretty much every local place is constantly trying to fill at least one hole.

only the ones that get down

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

The sense of guilt you feel was instilled in you by society so that you would act against your own self interest. It will hold you back in more than just employment.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ParserGirl posted:

The sense of guilt you feel was instilled in you by society so that you would act against your own self interest. It will hold you back in more than just employment.

This, precisely. We've all been conditioned to be loyal and sacrificing for our employers, when they will not show you the same. Every person who puts in two weeks notice and gets fired that day knows this pain.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

This, precisely. We've all been conditioned to be loyal and sacrificing for our employers, when they will not show you the same. Every person who puts in two weeks notice and gets fired that day knows this pain.

A reminder for everyone- you are not your job. Unless your job is being a badass, in which case, how is the health insurance?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
capital will use u and throw u away when theres nothing left for them to take

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mithross posted:

As I said, mostly. These are people I’ve known for years. I’m sure they aren’t happy but believe they aren’t going to get rid of me either. There just aren’t enough cooks in the area, pretty much every local place is constantly trying to fill at least one hole.

And you'll know the specifics and whether it was a good or bad idea better than we will, but in general if you want to 'be good' back to them, wait until you have an official offer and then give more than two weeks' notice. When I left my last job (though I was the chef there, so take into account your position) I gave them the option to keep me for 6 weeks, we agreed on 4 weeks and I'd come in a couple times over the two weeks after that to answer any questions/do any training that was needed for new staff. Telling people you're interested in leaving before you have an actual place to go can put you both in an awkward situation.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Got a new dish guy. Made an excellent impression on his first day with me because:

1. Busted rear end on dish
2. Oh poo poo, he can work the line too? Like a fuckin' boss, no less
3. Found out it was my birthday and said "oh, happy birthday! So, what, you just turned 30?"

(Pretty sure he was bullshitting me with kindness on #3, as I just turned 45, but gently caress it, I'll accept it)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 2, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dudes who bust rear end on dish and have a good attitude are gold. Good find!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Keep them forever and see which host(ess) is down to give them an hj at least

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mithross posted:

I mean, if you're interviewing elsewhere and you tell them, you're leaving, If you plan to give notice and you don't suck, ideally they;ll have you train your replacement. It's business, so it's not personal and it's not hard feelings, but I'm not sure why you're surprised/where you're coming from.

It's a good day.

HELLLLL YEAH! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd disagree with both of those, the first in that quitting/moving on with proper notice isn't burning a bridge and anyone that treats it like that is a lovely person to work for to begin with and the second in that ideally, you'd want to train your replacement, assuming that you're good at your job. Neither is applicable in a lovely situation, but in a good one, both are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I'd disagree with both of those, the first in that quitting/moving on with proper notice isn't burning a bridge and anyone that treats it like that is a lovely person to work for to begin with and the second in that ideally, you'd want to train your replacement, assuming that you're good at your job. Neither is applicable in a lovely situation, but in a good one, both are.

I think LC’s point here is that there is a way to leave that is professional and doesn’t burn bridges, but you shouldn’t feel guilty or responsible for the place you are leaving unless you actually do own it. Of course some places will take it personally no matter what you do but like you said, that’s life (and like LC said, none of your concern).