Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tollymain posted:

making a sharper rock is inevitable

Making the inevitable requires a sharp rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Walk softly and carry a sharper rock.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
The sanctioned action is to use things like especially sharp rocks.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
or thumbs!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1121116358417289216

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So Incubus wasn't even Meti's pupil in Meti's eyes. No wonder he has a complex, nobody in his life has ever seen him as legitimate except for his sycophants.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Who What Now posted:

So Incubus wasn't even Meti's pupil in Meti's eyes. No wonder he has a complex, nobody in his life has ever seen him as legitimate except for his sycophants.

That's only what Maya thinks Meti intended.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Incubus being the multiverse's bastard child is now my head of john canon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

VanSandman posted:

That's only what Maya thinks Meti intended.
Meti's sword manual only mentions a single student, so Incubus may very well have always been seen as a teaching aid for Maya.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Master, what if I had a time machine..."
"Shut up. Time travel is bullshit. This is a central pillar of Sword Law."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's not Meti's fault that Maya is in the remedial class.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Sword Saint Meti"

Abbadon's been playing Sekiro I see

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I could have sworn "Sword Saint" was a thing mentioned earlier in the comic. But Abbadon probably got it from somewhere else.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Meti's sword manual only mentions a single student, so Incubus may very well have always been seen as a teaching aid for Maya.

it must suck to have your master get someone else to kill her just to teach you a lesson about Cutting

Tarragon
Sep 30, 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensei_(honorary_title)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sword Saints have always been kind of a thing in japanese myth/media and western adaptation of such. IIRC it's also named Kensai.

Ed: Ninja'd.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

I could have sworn "Sword Saint" was a thing mentioned earlier in the comic. But Abbadon probably got it from somewhere else.

It is, as with many ideas that lionize the art of slicing up men, from Japan: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensei_(honorary_title)

E: double ninjaed!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

It's in both Incubus's and Maya's nature to assume that Meti only gave a poo poo about Maya, for some arbitrary reason. It's in Meti's nature to not give much of a poo poo about either of them.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Tetracube posted:

"Sword Saint Meti"

First time it shows up in stuff at the bottom of the comic is the Siege of Yre. Probably shows up in the comic itself sooner.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Clearly Incubus took another meaning from this lesson:

It seems like Maya is working on her own version of winning, though, that involves protecting and aiding Allison from a distance.

Theory: is Maya actually working directly with Zoss? Maybe they conspired from the start to enable Allison to survive and evade the demiurges while she gains power.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Incubus is an imperfect version of what Meti was. He probably really is a peerless swordsman, and focused on winning every sword fight with a terrible will, but if you take away his sword, he's just a man. If you took away Meti's sword, she'd rip your throat out with her teeth.

Meti also hated what she was, and pretty explicitly wanted to stop Maya from repeating her mistake. Maya still became an unstoppable warlord before realizing the lesson. I think her version of winning is keeping Allison from becoming what Meti was or Incubus or Maya are.

This is why Meti was probably a match for any of the Seven. They all suffer from grasping, from fearing failure or loss. Meti has little, wants nothing, and could focus her entire being and will on the pure act of killing, without hesitation or other considerations. They might perforate her with vines or hit her with exploding touch, but best believe she will strike her death blow, because she believes it harder than anyone else believes anything.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 24, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Theory: is Maya actually working directly with Zoss? Maybe they conspired from the start to enable Allison to survive and evade the demiurges while she gains power.

I don't think Zoss needs anybody to enact his plans. The Demiurges are fundamentally a pack of broken idiots waiting for something to crumble them to dust. Maya is probably just aware of this and waiting for the proper fireworks to start (and maybe do her part/enact her own plans).

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Dead Reckoning posted:

Incubus is an imperfect version of what Meti was. He probably really is a peerless swordsman, and focused on winning every sword fight with a terrible will, but if you take away his sword, he's just a man. If you took away Meti's sword, she'd rip your throat out with her teeth.

Meti also hated what she was, and pretty explicitly wanted to stop Maya from repeating her mistake. Maya still became an unstoppable warlord before realizing the lesson. I think her version of winning is keeping Allison from becoming what Meti was or Incubus or Maya are.

This is why Meti was probably a match for any of the Seven. They all suffer from grasping, from fearing failure or loss. Meti has little, wants nothing, and could focus her entire being and will on the pure act of killing, without hesitation or other considerations. They might perforate her with vines or hit her with exploding touch, but best believe she will strike her death blow, because she believes it harder than anyone else believes anything.

Which raises the question -- one I am legitimately curious to see answered -- of how Incubus, the object lesson, killed the woman who was not his master.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

Which raises the question -- one I am legitimately curious to see answered -- of how Incubus, the object lesson, killed the woman who was not his master.

Maybe she let him win

the ultimate blow to self esteem

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Poltergrift posted:

Judging by how he's squaring off against the other demiurges: not by playing fair.

rannum posted:

Maybe she let him win

the ultimate blow to self esteem

Or that. It's the same theory we have with how he got his key, but it does seem like a Meti thing to do.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 24, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Intra was the guy called a sword-saint you guys were thinking of. He's the guy who defeated the gladiator by fighting like an idiot.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
So incubus is the idiot trained wrong on purpose.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just loving love this setting, where power is expressed in superlatives. There are countless creatures good with a sword, but the difference between them and Meti is the difference between the candle and the star.

Poltergrift posted:

I have no doubt that the answer is some combination of

a) she chose to die, like Obi-Wan in A New Hope
b) her death was a lesson
c) her last cut is the reason Incubus is such a broken man today

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Tetracube posted:

"Sword Saint Meti"

This has been super clear for the last three pages, I think this is just acknowledging it lmao

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dr Subterfuge posted:

First time it shows up in stuff at the bottom of the comic is the Siege of Yre. Probably shows up in the comic itself sooner.

Sekiro's translators have been reading K6BD, I see.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Poltergrift posted:

She didn't want to win or to survive. She wanted to die laughing, struck down by her enemies and fed to the dogs outside the city. She got what she wanted - did Incubus?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Incubus went on to at least learn Head of John, so I doubt that swordsmanship is his only martial art.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

this comic is good as hell

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Paramemetic posted:

Sekiro's translators have been reading K6BD, I see.

Fromsoft would absolutely be my first and best pick as the developers of a video game set in this world.

Mr. Lobe posted:

:agreed:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Meti was a peerless swordswoman and a self-loathing personal wreck who utterly failed to leverage that talent to improve her life in any way. Incubus is in every way her heir, he just hasn't admitted defeat. They doubtless hated each other.

Maya wasn't such an absolute disaster of a person going in, which has both kept her from fully committing to Cutting and allowed her to focus on anything besides that. We've seen her fight, it's impressive but it's no 'effortlessly destroying a thousand enemies at once, while naked'

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mr. Lobe posted:

This update will probably remain one of my favorites even after the story is finished.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

frodnonnag posted:

So incubus is the idiot trained wrong on purpose.

as a joke. but on a cosmic scale, of course.

man, the demiurges really are tragic people

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

like, he was a ragged filthy war orphan who had doubtless experienced great trauma and deprivation, who through luck and sheer gumption managed to gain the attention of the greatest sword user ever to live. he was used by her as an instrument and an object lesson for another pupil. and for all that he was able to seize hold of with the skill he gained in the process, he is hounded by a sense of illegitimacy that is reinforced externally by the sociopaths with whom he contends for power. it has driven him to become a planet-level conquerer and to despoil countless worlds directly and by proxy/

but none of it will ever really satisfy him, or fix what is broken about him. what a great tragic character!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

eke out posted:

it must suck to have your master get someone else to kill her just to teach you a lesson about Cutting

Was just thinking of how she failed this test twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Incubus went on to at least learn Head of John, so I doubt that swordsmanship is his only martial art.
Sure, it was a metaphor. Like, if you take away his literal sword he still has the power of 1/7th of creation in his forehead and the Art. He's mastered his tools as a means to winning, but he doesn't have Meti's commitment to living and breathing as a killer in every moment beyond all other considerations.