Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Night King is gonna kill everyone, they're all gonna march down to King's Landing and the entire zombified cast is going to dogpile Cersei and rip her apart all once in an orgy of catharsis. Then they're gonna end the show with the Thriller dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The Night King strolls into the throne-room, thick with bodies as his captains dismember and arrange them into their grand designs. As he walks and ascends the stairs he surveys the carnage with no emotion, when he reaches the top all who still move turn their attention to him. He sits down on the iron throne, pulls a parchment out of his jacket, clears his throat and begins his first spoken lines of the series...

"The Pear-shaped Man lives beneath the stairs. His shoulders are narrow and stooped, but his buttocks are impressively large. Or perhaps it is only the clothing he wears; no one has ever admitted to seeing him nude, and no one has ever admitted to wanting to. His trousers are brown polyester double knits, with wide cuffs and a shiny seat; they are always baggy, and they have big, deep, droopy pockets so stuffed with oddments and bric-a-brac that they bulge against his sides....."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Years ago when reading the books I got to Dorne and thought 'I don't care about any of this is any of this ever gonna matter' and now here we are at the end and every page I skipped arguably enriched my life.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Grevling posted:

There was a good point, I think, in the BoL thread about genre fiction where he's talking about ASoIaF, that lower class people really don't seem to have a lot of agency or things going on besides being oppressed, and that the edgy "nobody really believes in that chivalry stuff" attitude among the nobility is very unlike feudal ideology irl.

I mean, that's pretty accurate. The code of chivalry as we know it was formulated by 19th century scholars displaying the usual Victorian fondness for candy-coating history.

Feudalism is brutal, from the perspective of the peasantry. Especially when their lords manifestly have spent the last century or so warring amongst themselves rather than caring for their people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like how the Faceless Men, an assassin cult built on stealth and subterfuge, have somehow turned Arya into an Adem from Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like how the Faceless Men, an assassin cult built on stealth and subterfuge, have somehow turned Arya into an Adem from Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle.

some people think that in the books there is a hinted at subplot by the faceless men to try and hatch a dragon egg

As far as crazy fan theories goes, it does actually seem pretty supported by the text

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Arya didn't even complete her training. She just failed at it for a while and then hosed off from Essos and somehow during all of that became a master assassin.

I mean I guess it worked for Luke Skywalker so gently caress it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just imagine a 5 year gap and all the stories make sense, except the ones that don't. Arya learns killing people, sansa learns politics, jon like, learns what running the wall actually means, dany grows into a leader by doing a practice run with meereen, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
right as the faceless man is about to hatch his dragon, a guy wearing nothing but bermuda shorts and a maester's chain appears out of nowhere, shoots the assassin with his ak-47, and disappears. They got that poo poo on lock.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A Typical Goon posted:

some people think that in the books there is a hinted at subplot by the faceless men to try and hatch a dragon egg

As far as crazy fan theories goes, it does actually seem pretty supported by the text

They destroyed Valyria, I don't think they want to hatch more dragons.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, that's pretty accurate. The code of chivalry as we know it was formulated by 19th century scholars displaying the usual Victorian fondness for candy-coating history.

Feudalism is brutal, from the perspective of the peasantry. Especially when their lords manifestly have spent the last century or so warring amongst themselves rather than caring for their people.

Yeah, but do you think medieval nobles were a bunch of nihilists who knew they were an oppressive class and didn't care? Didn't they truly believe that they deserved their position because they embodied some sort of ideal?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I like Maisie Williams but at the same time Arya went from one of my favorites in the early seasons to unbearable on the last ones, with that constant angry look and forced "Im a badass" attitude

She seems like a cool girl but she aint a great actress, and the writing is not helping either

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm looking forward to Arya fighting WWs with the spear thing Gendry made for her. It might be even funnier than the sand snake fight.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I would absolutely love a behind the scenes book about the development of the TV series, see also LOST.

It would be genuinely fascinating all the discussions that went into some of the decisions that ended up on screen.

Why the gently caress did they even bother with Dorne for example? Did they think they could do it justice in the time available or ar that time were they of the mindset that they had loads of time left.

If anything this season highlights the issues inherent in finishing the books in that whatever happens will seem rushed.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

hitchensgoespop posted:

I would absolutely love a behind the scenes book about the development of the TV series, see also LOST.

It would be genuinely fascinating all the discussions that went into some of the decisions that ended up on screen.

Why the gently caress did they even bother with Dorne for example? Did they think they could do it justice in the time available or ar that time were they of the mindset that they had loads of time left.

If anything this season highlights the issues inherent in finishing the books in that whatever happens will seem rushed.

peter dinklage refused to ride a pig cause they didnt pay him enough and then GRRM ate the pig when he visited the set that's what happened.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

peter dinklage refused to ride a pig cause they didnt pay him enough and then GRRM ate the pig when he visited the set that's what happened.

Still more interesting than the last two hours of people meeting each other and bran staring at people "wisely"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I like how all the lovely actors on this lovely show decided they're too good to get their tits&dicks out or ride pigs or whatever.

I'd say it'll be funny to see them fall back to reality after the show ends but lol they'll live out the rest of their lives in unimaginable luxury.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think Bran or Arya will get very much work ever again. Maybe one or two crummy roles and thats it. They'll live out the next 30 years in luxury and start the convention tour when they need to build up their retirement funds.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Maisie is in that grimdark xmen movie but tbh I havent heard anything about it since they announced it like a year ago

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

TK-42-1 posted:

Maisie is in that grimdark xmen movie but tbh I havent heard anything about it since they announced it like a year ago

I think it is currently slated for a Hulu release after getting stuck in a reshoot nightmare scenario and not getting out in time to avoid the fallout of the Disney/Fox merger.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh fyad

never change

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Haha, is that for real or made up? I don't really care either way. He's been boring and irrelevant for years.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's not dead as of the current episode. Various spoilers call his death but nobody ever knows which of those are true until after the fact.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's leak potentially attributed to that spanish subtitle dude who leaked all of seasons 6, 7 and this year's premiere. Tyrion apparently betrays the Starks and is executed for treason at the end of the season, by whom it doesn't say.

Sansa on the throne pls

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I watched the first ep, having got around to it, but not with much enthusiasm. There is a lot of hints about the future of Danny, becoming a tyrant and having to be put down, like those around her can see it happening but are only able to suggest what they are all thinking. i.e. she is going to go mad king at any second. The whole romance thing with Jon is super forced. I don't know many women who are at all interested is men who moan constantly, outside of a sympathy shag every now and then. It is like the "romance" part of attack of the clones. Whining does not lubricate the gears of love.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The most exciting thing about the show is that I still can't tell if they're unironically pushing Danny as a good guy or setting up an obvious twist with her turning evil. Common sense says it's the latter, but the people making this show are so incompetent that they might just be writing a villain without realizing it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

some guy on the bus posted:

Haha, is that for real or made up? I don't really care either way. He's been boring and irrelevant for years.

All men die.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Collateral posted:

The whole romance thing with Jon is super forced. I don't know many women who are at all interested is men who moan constantly, outside of a sympathy shag every now and then. It is like the "romance" part of attack of the clones. Whining does not lubricate the gears of love.

well...the boat sex scene paid a lot of attention to kit harringtons butt

at the time, we were like "oh, some female gaze fanservice for once, that's nice i suppose", but i think the actual reason they did this is that so we realize that is the basis of that romance subplot.

we're to understand that dany is really into butts and that this is what makes their romance function.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

PupsOfWar posted:

well...the boat sex scene paid a lot of attention to kit harringtons butt

Gotta pay attention to the little man in the boat.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kylaer posted:

:dadjoke:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kylaer posted:

:thurman:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think Bran or Arya will get very much work ever again.

Arya will get work. She's already done a bunch of Dr. Who episodes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, weirdos are going to put the tiny anime princess in all kinds of goofy sci-fi poo poo.

Emilia Clark has a very steady career and she can't act for poo poo. Maisie is going to be fine.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont think Maise is much better than Emilia, frankly

The last good actress in this show is Lena Headey

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah, weirdos are going to put the tiny anime princess in all kinds of goofy sci-fi poo poo.

Emilia Clark has a very steady career and she can't act for poo poo. Maisie is going to be fine.

Kit, Emilia, Maisie and Sophie are all gonna have fairly decent careers if the want to stick with acting rather than retire off all the money they've made from the show. Isaac Hempstead-Wright said he wants to go into directing more than acting, and as it happens he knows a bunch of really in-demand and talented television directors, so I think he's got a firm in-road there, just a hunch.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfao imagine being even somewhat aware of the media landscape for the past 5 years or so and thinking that people in GOT won't get more work if they want it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao imagine being even somewhat aware of the media landscape for the past 5 years or so and thinking that people in GOT won't get more work if they want it.

Peter Dinklage is probably going to run into career issues just because there are only so many roles he can be cast in, and most of those are ones he wouldn't want to take because he couldn't keep his self-respect if he did take them. Like, he's genuinely good at his job, but he kinda already won the lottery with this role.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Counterpoint: Dinklage played Bolivar Trask, a tall fat black man, in Days of Future Past.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
but that was only because Lena Headey passed on the role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Peter Dinklage is probably going to run into career issues just because there are only so many roles he can be cast in, and most of those are ones he wouldn't want to take because he couldn't keep his self-respect if he did take them. Like, he's genuinely good at his job, but he kinda already won the lottery with this role.

I honestly feel like we are moving away from that paradigm. As noted above, he can just be cast in whatever role where his dwarfism isn't a factor, or ones that are really honest and well done like Three Billboards. He's not necessarily doomed to the Warwick Davis path these days.