Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

you in the US? I'm pretty sure I have assloads of old transfer sheets around I can send you, if I didn't throw them away

That's alright, I'm actually in solid shape with those, since I got that Christmas battle force box. If you've got an insane amount of Fists transfers, I'd take a sheet or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TheBigAristotle posted:

That's alright, I'm actually in solid shape with those, since I got that Christmas battle force box. If you've got an insane amount of Fists transfers, I'd take a sheet or two

lemme look

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've got a buttload of these - PM me your address and I'll send you all you want.

In fact, anyone in the US who needs First Founding SM transfers, other than BA ones, PM me - I might as well get rid of them all.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

I've got a buttload of these - PM me your address and I'll send you all you want.

In fact, anyone in the US who needs First Founding SM transfers, other than BA ones, PM me - I might as well get rid of them all.

PM sent, thanks to both for the offers. Unless they're the Forgeworld Fists, I don't mean to be rude, but I already have some transfers of the 40k Fists logo, and I'm trying to stay consistent. I sold off my FW transfers to a 30k friend when I realized they didn't look right to me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How do you make transfers look not like poo poo on a curved shoulder anyway?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

How do you make transfers look not like poo poo on a curved shoulder anyway?

Microsol and Microset are basically bottled miracles.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It also helps to cut lines into them, like when you fry pork roll.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Microsol and Microset are basically bottled miracles.

Just slam bought this item thanks.

moths posted:

It also helps to cut lines into them, like when you fry pork roll.

Yeah I do this, I apply them painstakingly and then varnish them but never feel like they look good. Microsol sounds like the path to good decals, all the mighty ape reviews are people singing the product's praises.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
speaking of transfers, any chance anyone has this? I'd really like to get my hand on it, or at least the 2nd company banner transfer.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

JBP posted:

Just slam bought this item thanks.

Yeah I do this, I apply them painstakingly and then varnish them but never feel like they look good. Microsol sounds like the path to good decals, all the mighty ape reviews are people singing the product's praises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_D3Azp4bw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

jassi007 posted:

speaking of transfers, any chance anyone has this? I'd really like to get my hand on it, or at least the 2nd company banner transfer.

I'm doing a Logan Grimnar army and I'm going to have to print my own white decals. Some helpful soul has put up a sheet of them so I'm going to grab that one and go print it at a shop that can do white ink. I'm sure some similarly good ham has put up some ultras decals.

Also I got really pissy at GW for supplying black decals for their own fluff that says white on black.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JBP posted:

I'm doing a Logan Grimnar army and I'm going to have to print my own white decals. Some helpful soul has put up a sheet of them so I'm going to grab that one and go print it at a shop that can do white ink. I'm sure some similarly good ham has put up some ultras decals.

Also I got really pissy at GW for supplying black decals for their own fluff that says white on black.

My google fu hasn't succeeded yet in finding it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is the start collecting Skitarii a good starting point for a full admech army? I've mostly focused on kill team stuff so far, but I'm thinking about diving into the full game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Same question as the above, but for SC Tyranids.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Same question as the above, but for SC Tyranids.

Genestealers and the Broodlord are a great start for a nid army and the Trygon should be decent too. Pretty good value.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Is the start collecting Skitarii a good starting point for a full admech army? I've mostly focused on kill team stuff so far, but I'm thinking about diving into the full game.

Yes, but if you can find the Xmas Battleforce that's even better. You'll for sure want Dune Crawlers and more skitarii though

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Doorknob Slobber posted:

3 of them is a great foundation for an army, although you probably don't desperately want more than 1 Tech-priest Dominus.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Mef989 posted:

Yes, but if you can find the Xmas Battleforce that's even better. You'll for sure want Dune Crawlers and more skitarii though

One of each is a very good base.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Broken Record Talk posted:

Sent you a PM for salamanders. I’ll take whatever you’re willing to spare. Thanks for the offer!

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I started mine with two forgebane ad mech halves and a start collecting box, which also gets you started on a complimentary knights army.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The admech start collecting box is one of the better ones in terms of savings.

Also one of the best "this is the poo poo you want for your army" sets since the 7e one that was all jetbikes and a fire prism.

edit: I always found the absence of the Raven Guard on the old marine transfer sheet weird as hell.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 24, 2019

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheBigAristotle posted:

PM sent, thanks to both for the offers. Unless they're the Forgeworld Fists, I don't mean to be rude, but I already have some transfers of the 40k Fists logo, and I'm trying to stay consistent. I sold off my FW transfers to a 30k friend when I realized they didn't look right to me

No worries, I should have said “First Founding GW Transfers”. FW transfers are worth well more than their weight in gold.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks guys, a lot of that stuff seems hard to find, how much was the battleforce box when it came out? its $200 on ebay/amazon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks guys, a lot of that stuff seems hard to find, how much was the battleforce box when it came out? its $200 on ebay/amazon

That seems close to. I think they were around $175-ish when they came out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I got mine for $150 off of eBay late last year, but it contains $250 worth of stuff, so you're still saving money. The MSRP was $170 I believe.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I bought it at the GW store for $175, seems fine. The upgrade sprues alone go for $30 on eBay and they're very nice

Would love some improved rules for the Redemptor Dread. A 5++ or 6+++ or stable firing platform would be nice. Once you get degraded, you're moving and shooting your big guns on 5s

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Squad of 5 Plasma boys are done (I'll probably swap out the Champion with a Plasma Pistol one for good measure, and retrim his base in Mourfang instead of Rhinox so that when he joins his new squad he wont stand out too much)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wish most Invulns got replaced with either incoming damage reduction or incoming AP reduction, but otherwise I agree on the Redemptor.

Or keep it at its current wounds but not degrade. 10's a really arbitrary and for that cutoff anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

I wish most Invulns got replaced with either incoming damage reduction or incoming AP reduction, but otherwise I agree on the Redemptor.

Or keep it at its current wounds but not degrade. 10's a really arbitrary and for that cutoff anyway.

Makes sense. There are plenty of multiple damage weapons, so having damage reducing armor would be a fair counter. That or more FNP and less invulns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel like rolling saves on 2d6 would be the most affective way of flattening out luck on expensive dudes like terminators that should be tough.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

JBP posted:

I feel like rolling saves on 2d6 would be the most affective way of flattening out luck on expensive dudes like terminators that should be tough.

I'm pretty sure they were 3+ on 2d6 in 2e, and the Mark of Khorne made them 2+ on 2d6, but I could be wrong. I agree, though, that would be better than invulns everywhere.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

It's a challenge for larger units, but it definitely does work. The same thing can be accomplished with FNP.

A 3+ on 2d6 is the same as a 2+/2+++. Armor modifiers were a big deal back in 2nd.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 24, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

I've never used an airbrush, and I've always wanted to ask: If you can do highlights with an airbrush, how do you know exactly where the nozzle is pointing before you start spraying? Some of the Skitarii I was highlighting yesterday have really small parts on them, and the highlights for those parts are smaller still. So if I'm aiming my airbrush nozzle at the model, how do I know that I won't spray the paint a millimetre or two higher than I want to? Do they come with laser pointers strapped to them?

One thing the airbrush pros never tell you is the need for the fine art of masking.

Due to the inherent (in)accuracy of the brush, the lines are never going to be 100% sharp so for well defined edges you're going to need to mask off the edge to get it nice and sharp.

If you want to do a lot of airbrushing be prepared to get really good at cutting masking tape, painting on liquid mask and applying blu-tak to your models.

WIth hand brushing you spend 1 hour perfecting your blends.
With airbrushing you spend 50 minutes masking and all the blending work is done in 10 minutes.

This time discrepancy becomes worse and worse the smaller the detail you're trying to paint. Airbrushing and shading big areas is extremely quick and efficient. Airbrushing tiny details is an exercise in pain so learn to pick your fights.

For example with your Skitarii, I would airbrush and blend the cloaks, then paint over the armour, bionics and details by hand. This plays to the strengths of each technique. Another one would be marines. Airbrush the main armour panels, then pick out the trim and details with a regular brush.

IMO the only that are worth airbrushing 100% are big ones like vehicles and knights and even then you would want to apply weathering and details with a brush.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
FW sent me the mk iv techmarine I ordered and it's gorgeous. Super crisp lines and I don't see a single mold line or air bubble.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the airbrush answers guys. I don’t have the right kinda work space for one, so I’ll stick to brushes for now. Good to know that stuff though!

eBay has a £5 off voucher on your next order right now. Managed to get the Theta-7 Acquisitus Kill Team box for £30 delivered. Quite nice as I need the Sicarians for my Kill Team, and the Tech Priest Manipulus Commander + Ryza terrain is useful too.

Should I build the Sicarians as Ruststalkers or Infiltrators? I’m thinking Infiltrators with Power Swords and Stub Carbines will be more versatile.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Hamfriends, is anyone sitting on some on-sprue/unbuilt Cataphractii Terminators, perhaps leftover from a Betrayal at Calth box set that they're willing to part with? I'm on a hunt to kitbash some Bringers of Despair for my Warmaster of Chaos and plain, old humpback chaos terminators just won't do. I want some old school Justaerin action for my Warmaster's personal bodyguard.

PM me here or on the discord.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Makes sense. There are plenty of multiple damage weapons, so having damage reducing armor would be a fair counter. That or more FNP and less invulns.

Light vehicles (T5-6) reducing damage by 1 to a minimum of 1, Medium vehicles (T7) reducing damage by 1 with no minimum, and Heavy vehicles (T8+) reducing damage by 2 with no minimum coupled with dunking all vehicle invulns in the garbage (outside of things like Ion Shields and daemons, as long as you also dumpster the strat), for example.

Would obviously require some more fiddling with than just that, but the proliferation of invulns is ridiculous.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Speaking of airbrushes, I still haven’t received my Sotar from the Badger birthday sale. I understand it was to take a while, but it’s been what, 4 months?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, I still haven’t received my Sotar from the Badger birthday sale. I understand it was to take a while, but it’s been what, 4 months?

Yup. It can take that long. They're not known for their efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
wowzers

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 8, 2020