Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress there's a whole thread just for self posts?!

See you guys in a bit. Need to make my humble brag net worth growth charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Soysaucebeast posted:

Poor goon here, but this thread has actually taught me more about finances than my family has. Of course, my mom lives off disability and hasn't had a steady job since I was five. And my dad had no savings, lost his job in the housing bubble, and then just racked up credit card debt until he died (though he did make sure to tell me I wasn't on the hook for any of that). So it's not exactly a high bar.

But since I've started reading this thread y'all have inadvertantly taught me what an IRA is, how much is too much for interest on a car, etc. I'm not doing great, but I am doing better!

Gimmie that sixer if you gotta, but I wanted to share. :unsmith:
I've been hanging out in BFC for a while now and I don't think I've ever seen anybody in here who doesn't want everybody to be financially successful. We want to help you win.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Hoodwinker posted:

I've been hanging out in BFC for a while now and I don't think I've ever seen anybody in here who doesn't want everybody to be financially successful.
I don't want everybody to be successful. Specifically, zaurg.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Now now, we get a lot of entertainment from other people's woes. That's why humble bragging isn't immediately probatable as long as your bragging about a terrible thing you did.

But yes, ideally everyone would be GWM and we'd just get a hobby to entertain ourselves. Like horses. And then suddenly we're BWM again.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now now, we get a lot of entertainment from other people's woes. That's why humble bragging isn't immediately probatable as long as your bragging about a terrible thing you did.

But yes, ideally everyone would be GWM and we'd just get a hobby to entertain ourselves. Like horses. And then suddenly we're BWM again.

BWM: having any hobbies outside of making fun of people on the internet

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

moana posted:

I don't want everybody to be successful. Specifically, zaurg.
Zaurg would be incapable of being Zaurg if he was successful. He's a quantum superposition that's only capable of collapsing into failure.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is there a goldmine or an archived thread that has details on this Zaurg fellow, for us new denizens

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aces High posted:

Is there a goldmine or an archived thread that has details on this Zaurg fellow, for us new denizens

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

No need for an archive, this poo poo has been going on for 10 years and still live.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao this guy rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974Igxkvf34

"If I hadn't hosed myself out of millions as a young man when my investing dollar was worth the most it would be in my entire life, I would've never learned how to get rich!" It's amazing the lengths old people will go to insist they aren't owned, they were right all along, and these drat millennials just don't get it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sundae posted:

Yep, quick reminder to everyone that the family-of-four HUD "low income" qualification limit for the Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo Counties is $117,400 now. We can probably cut off the argument about where the guillotine line is and get to your conclusion right now.
Can't we just guillotine all of San Francisco? Nothing of value would be lost.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dik Hz posted:

Can't we just guillotine all of San Francisco? Nothing of value would be lost.

Pretty harsh attack on the homeless, even for BFC.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Volkerball posted:

Lmao this guy rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974Igxkvf34

"If I hadn't hosed myself out of millions as a young man when my investing dollar was worth the most it would be in my entire life, I would've never learned how to get rich!" It's amazing the lengths old people will go to insist they aren't owned, they were right all along, and these drat millennials just don't get it.

Wow, I wonder where he learned to take to take risks and what would have happened to him if he failed!

...couldn't have had anything to do with his uncle, I'm sure.

https://www.huffpost.com/author/martin-t-sosnoff

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

totalnewbie posted:

Wow, I wonder where he learned to take to take risks and what would have happened to him if he failed!

...couldn't have had anything to do with his uncle, I'm sure.

https://www.huffpost.com/author/martin-t-sosnoff

Ahahaha dude is a walking stereotype.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

whooo

walks with a pineapple decked on his feet

BAD WITH MO NEY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Absconding with money, and horses, is he!

This didn't get nearly as much love as it deserves

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

https://blog.privatefly.com/air-horse-one-a-private-jet-for-the-equine-passenger

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's nothing BWM about Flying Coach

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Bring back the Arab Prince Hawk flight.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

I've been hanging out in BFC for a while now and I don't think I've ever seen anybody in here who doesn't want everybody to be financially successful. We want to help you win.

But we also want front row seats if you don't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's nothing BWM about Flying Coach

Those aren’t cattle, son.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty expensive way to get to the glue factory.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Beats hoofin' it!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

There’s a new miniseries on Showtime called Action. It’s about sports betting. The main character of sorts is a guy who went on a lucky run betting big with his parents life savings on some underdogs, and now sells lovely football bets for $500 a pop. Maybe more BWL than BWM, but there’s still plenty of that, I think.

https://youtu.be/gS3EDXyynrg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Enfys posted:

I wonder what's happening with the kids in all this if she's in rehab for a month and he's traveling to three cities this week and there's chaos with the house being foreclosed etc.

Hating their parents, probably.

The military idiots thread is pretty much cheating for BWM, a story that would be total sthd.txt has goons chiming in with 'oh yeah, I've seen that three times this year'.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Wolfy posted:

There’s a new miniseries on Showtime called Action. It’s about sports betting. The main character of sorts is a guy who went on a lucky run betting big with his parents life savings on some underdogs, and now sells lovely football bets for $500 a pop. Maybe more BWL than BWM, but there’s still plenty of that, I think.

https://youtu.be/gS3EDXyynrg

Getting other people to pay you for sports picks is great with money. The people who get lucky and win probably just keep giving you more.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

One of my husband's coworkers just bought like 40 acres of farmland to lease out to tenant farmers. I don't think he even owns his own home. Apparently the seller's survey napkin drawing was no good and overestimated the amount of useable land, so he's now paying for a new survey. He paid for the parcel using an up-front bonus payment (the air force just authorized some very good re-signing bonuses for certain jobs because retention is pretty bad, so thank you taxpayers) of around 90k, and the bank required at least 30% down. It sounds like he didn't spring for title insurance, because they would have done a survey prior to purchase. Don't think for a second all the dumb poo poo happens in the enlisted ranks. I've stopped counting the number of people I know who own a house half a country away and rent it out for endless headaches and little to no profit.

Also, here in Nebraska, climate change is hitting us hard. Every couple years we have a historic flood that breaks all the previous records, and in between we keep getting record-setting heat waves. Buying farmland is the last thing I would do, but I guess if you're a landlord you're somewhat insulated from it.

E: I'm waiting with bated breath to hear what the new survey reveals.

E2: oh that bonus is for a 9 year commitment minimum, plenty of time to get stationed a thousand miles away

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 24, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

One of my husband's coworkers just bought like 40 acres of farmland to lease out to tenant farmers. I don't think he even owns his own home. Apparently the seller's survey napkin drawing was no good and overestimated the amount of useable land, so he's now paying for a new survey. He paid for the parcel using an up-front bonus payment (the air force just authorized some very good re-signing bonuses for certain jobs because retention is pretty bad, so thank you taxpayers) of around 90k, and the bank required at least 30% down. It sounds like he didn't spring for title insurance

E2: oh that bonus is for a 9 year commitment minimum, plenty of time to get stationed a thousand miles away

You are such a tease I feel like I should be paying you for this service. This is perfect in every way. He doesn't even have a building to burn down for the insurance fraud.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is tenant farming still a thing?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

He bought 40 acres of farmland without verifying how much of that is actually usable? Sub 40 acres is nothing in terms of modern agribusiness.

Being a small landlord for tenant farmers with the idea of making money is...uh :psyduck:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 25, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Badger of Basra posted:

Crop share lease agreements are common. Standard agreement in Eastern Oregon dryland wheat farming is a 40/60 (farmer gets 60 percent and owner gets 40 percent of crop) split with arrangements made for things like who's equipment is used, if you can store things in the barn, and how much of the fuel and fertilizer the landowner will pay for. It enables the farmer to put together enough land to make a living without having to pay 3k/acre when a decent spread needs to be a minimum of 1500 or 2000 acres if you are keeping all the crop to sell.

Edit: you wouldn't bother with less than a quarter section in dryland farming out there, but it's pretty dry country. If you were irrigated it might be worth it for less land, especially if you are leasing from other adjoining land owners.

therobit fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 24, 2019

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Badger of Basra posted:

I doubt it, but I know a few people who rent farmland out. The farmers don't live there, but you can essentially get enough to cover your taxes on the land.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes, but like most real estate plays it involves heavy leverage. Measuring the land correctly also helps.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Salt Fish posted:

I doubt it, but I know a few people who rent farmland out. The farmers don't live there, but you can essentially get enough to cover your taxes on the land.

Pretty common in Colorado for running cattle. We will get easements or lay down years for projects and the owner will be good but also need to coordinate with the lessees. The owner will be in about state or country frequently.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes. And the lease rates are shockingly low. I don't know why anyone would think they could cashflow farmland they have a note on.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Surveys/Guide_to_NASS_Surveys/Cash_Rents_by_County/

Salt Fish posted:

you can essentially get enough to cover your taxes on the land.

That's what I'm seeing in regards to the places where I know the property tax rates.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Krispy Wafer posted:

isn't immediately probatable as long as your bragging about a terrible thing you did.

If self-post exceptions can be made for terrible things you did, I will offer this cautionary tale to Stay Away From Financial Advisers

My family uses the same "wealth management firm" that Marc Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, and the Robinhood founders use or previously used. My apple fell pretty drat far from the family tree, but as an immediate family member of their more minted clients, I can maintain an account with them with a much lower minimum.

Here's my most recent statement summary.

Absolutely obliterated by a full S&P 500 portfolio, even before considering their 1% annual fee and the enormous tax bill I'll be receiving for all the churning they did.

The only money I gave them was a 2010 inheritance. Its total return since 2010?

20% without considering 9 years of 1% fees and taxable events.

Never ever ever ever ever ever use one of these services, even if they frame themselves as The Best of the Best and throw a list of wealthy celebrity clients at you.

My name is GoGoGadgetChris and I'm bad with money and I'll see you in 6 hours

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Over half of Iowa’s cropland is owned by a non-operator. A good chunk of that is retired farmers leasing the land for cash rents, but there are also doctors and lawyers that buy land to lease out. The farmer gets more acreage to scale without the land side of the capital equation, with land typically earning a return of 2-3%, so it’s not something you buy for massive income, more of a passive income/price speculation deal so a farmer is going to focus on higher return activities before buying land if there is equal available for lease.

Nebraska land is at least less screwed relative to Kansas as the aquifer is less tapped out there and recharges somewhat better.

Edit: Survey for those interested, only 20% is owner operated acreage in Iowa.
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c2-78.html

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 24, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah I suppose I should have clarified, tenant farming is very much a thing here and dude bought it as a passive income generator (like every other officer in the air force) so on its own isn't hugely BWM (e: but IDK how much the note is v :v: v ). But when you start looking at other circumstances, like not buying as much land as you thought you did (just how???), or having to hire an agent for when you're constantly deployed/stationed elsewhere, starts looking pretty dumb and a pain in the rear end. Like if you're not going to own a home because of the effort and expenses, why buy farmland to lease to farmers who don't have the money/sense to buy their own farm? I also hate farmers so the whole thing sounds like a perfect storm of bullshit I never want to touch. Of course all these jackasses flush with bonus money have poisoned my husband's mind, and he's coming home asking me what I know about drop shipping and thinking real estate would be a good idea because I can define "escrow," "title insurance," and "earnest money". :suicide:

Supposedly he's pulling in $8k/mo from this thing alone and claims his only expenses are this survey and some tree trimming, but he can't have owned it more than a year based on when bonuses came out. At this point, I better not see this dude in the tax center next year looking to have his poo poo handled by volunteers.

And should something happen and you need to leave/get kicked out over a DUI or not promoting, you have to pay back that bonus.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 24, 2019

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If self-post exceptions can be made for terrible things you did, I will offer this cautionary tale to Stay Away From Financial Advisers

My family uses the same "wealth management firm" that Marc Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, and the Robinhood founders use or previously used. My apple fell pretty drat far from the family tree, but as an immediate family member of their more minted clients, I can maintain an account with them with a much lower minimum.

Here's my most recent statement summary.

Absolutely obliterated by a full S&P 500 portfolio, even before considering their 1% annual fee and the enormous tax bill I'll be receiving for all the churning they did.

The only money I gave them was a 2010 inheritance. Its total return since 2010?

20% without considering 9 years of 1% fees and taxable events.

Never ever ever ever ever ever use one of these services, even if they frame themselves as The Best of the Best and throw a list of wealthy celebrity clients at you.

My name is GoGoGadgetChris and I'm bad with money and I'll see you in 6 hours

My math says this works out to annualized returns of 1.05% lmfao. Good thing you got that actively managed to eek that out; would have been terrible to have it in a s&p index fund over that same period to earn 12% per year.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If only there was some way to own a small ownership share in several hundred companies.
Alas, the only good way to establish a passive income is to buy farmland and become a landlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

crazypeltast52 posted:

Over half of Iowa’s cropland is owned by a non-operator. A good chunk of that is retired farmers leasing the land for cash rents, but there are also doctors and lawyers that buy land to lease out. The farmer gets more acreage to scale without the land side of the capital equation, with land typically earning a return of 2-3%, so it’s not something you buy for massive income, more of a passive income/price speculation deal so a farmer is going to focus on higher return activities before buying land if there is equal available for lease.

Nebraska land is at least less screwed relative to Kansas as the aquifer is less tapped out there and recharges somewhat better.

Edit: Survey for those interested, only 20% is owner operated acreage in Iowa.
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c2-78.html
Yeah, this is typical in Minnesota too. Retired farmers or their kids own the land, but don't have enough to effectively farm. So they lease the land to the big operators and maybe help out by driving a truck at harvest season. Banks own a bunch too.