Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I believe a 24 hour live stream from Paradox starts in the next 15 minutes or so (if I've got my time zones correct)?

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i'm trying to remember when stellaris and hoi4 unlocked on steam, but my memory is failing.

any chance we're playing some time tonight? like midnight cest?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not playing until someones releases a mod making all those white marble statues and friezes as colorful and tacky as possible. Those romans sure liked their colors, specially red. Also the UI windows need penis graffiti. I'm only half joking.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 24, 2019

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

sudo rm -rf posted:

i'm trying to remember when stellaris and hoi4 unlocked on steam, but my memory is failing.

Steam is telling me it releases 23 hrs from this post, so that would be about noon EST tomorrow.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

bees everywhere posted:

Steam is telling me it releases 23 hrs from this post, so that would be about noon EST tomorrow.

boo!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

In about 15 minutes they're starting a 24 hours stream on Twitch leading to launch, and they usually launch sometime right at the end. So start watching the stream and when it finishes you'll be able to play :hist101:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Temaukel posted:

I'm not playing until someones releases a mod making all those white marble statues and friezes as colorful and tacky as possible. Those romans sure liked their colors, specially red). Also the UI windows need penis graffiti.

This first one is greek but you get the point:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

bees everywhere posted:

Yeah the last few DLCs have been 9am PST.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

it's exciting to be here. i remember that random steam sale in 2010 or 2011 that i discovered eu3. thought the game was mind blowing.

i never expected this studio and genre to take off in the way it did.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
stream started for real.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

one thing i'm gonna need is an endonym mod so all countries and tribes don't sound either latin or greek

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Temaukel posted:

I'm not playing until someones releases a mod making all those white marble statues and friezes as colorful and tacky as possible. Those romans sure liked their colors, specially red. Also the UI windows need penis graffiti. I'm only half joking.

making this, you meant? In that case I agree.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TorakFade posted:

making this, you meant? In that case I agree.

:hmmyes:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
From a cursory watch of the ongoing stream, this feels a lot like Crusader Kings: The Prequel. Is that pretty accurate or am I off the mark and should watch more of the stream before judging?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I know this game is going to be an utter poo poo show till the first few patches but still buying day 1.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Chakan posted:

From a cursory watch of the ongoing stream, this feels a lot like Crusader Kings: The Prequel. Is that pretty accurate or am I off the mark and should watch more of the stream before judging?

Its more a mix of EUIV and CK2, with it maybe leaning more on the EUIV side since you play as a nation, rather than as a king/Duke of a particular family.

It does look like you can concentrate on families in the game in an effort to min/max attributes, but it looks like more in depth family quarrels might be a while (or dlc) away.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The families almost feel closer to EU4's estates than anything in CK2 tbh.

And whoever said that the pops feel more like EU4's development than anything in Victoria made a good point.

Basically I'm seeing way more EU4 than anything else (no bad thing).

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Can I get a link to the stream? I looked on the Pdx forums and didn't see anything.

EDIT: nevermind found it on twitch

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

fuf posted:

The families almost feel closer to EU4's estates than anything in CK2 tbh.

And whoever said that the pops feel more like EU4's development than anything in Victoria made a good point.

Basically I'm seeing way more EU4 than anything else (no bad thing).

It's really not that much like development unless you're talking purely about the UI and the idea that different pop types generate different resources. Though it's probably slightly closer to EU4 development than it is to V2 pops, like you said.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 24, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TorakFade posted:

If anyone's still on the fence, you can prepurchase on GMG for 25% off using SPQR25 code at checkout.

That makes the game 29.99$. I already preordered it for 35$ during the lunar year Steam sale, I'm kinda tempted to be a full-on cheapskate and refund it to save those extra 5$ ... it could buy me a flavor DLC or something :v:

If I bought it from GMG already is there anyway to apply that code to my purchase?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I haven't watched any streams but I'm assuming the pops are similar to the ones in the EU4 mod MEIOU and Taxes (minus the bugs and horrific balancing). Also I'm assuming you won't be able to dump all of your mana into an uninhabited wilderness, turning it into a bustling global center of trade overnight and then embracing the printing press after a modest donation to the money pit.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

bees everywhere posted:

I haven't watched any streams but I'm assuming the pops are similar to the ones in the EU4 mod MEIOU and Taxes (minus the bugs and horrific balancing). Also I'm assuming you won't be able to dump all of your mana into an uninhabited wilderness, turning it into a bustling global center of trade overnight and then embracing the printing press after a modest donation to the money pit.

I dunno how MEIOU did it, but pops are tied to a growth rate and you can only spend mana to promote them. So you can promote a bunch of slaves up to citizens, but you can't add new pops with it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Kyle Hyde posted:

I dunno how MEIOU did it, but pops are tied to a growth rate and you can only spend mana to promote them. So you can promote a bunch of slaves up to citizens, but you can't add new pops with it

You can move pops from city to city within the same province and slaves are very cheap to move. Also there's a military tradition which lets you pay mil points and some manpower to get pop (which seems like a pretty good deal later in the game) but not everyone has access to it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eimi posted:

If I bought it from GMG already is there anyway to apply that code to my purchase?

If you bought it recently (conditions apply blah blah), you might try asking for a refund and rebuying? Steam explicitly allows it, it's not considered abuse, but GMG's policy is different. I decided to be lazy and keep my steam pre-purchase.

E: scratch that, "We are unable to process refunds 48 hours before a game is due to be released or preload begins" :(

I've been watching the "tutorial" stream and if you can continue the game after the tutorial, it's a pretty nice boost: you start out with 5000 gold and 40k manpower plus 700 of each power, and each objective you complete rewards you with non trivial amounts of power and stuff including until-end-of-game modifiers :v: (no idea if it will be the same in the final version)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 24, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TorakFade posted:

If you bought it recently (conditions apply blah blah), you might try asking for a refund and rebuying? Steam explicitly allows it, it's not considered abuse, but GMG's policy is different. I decided to be lazy and keep my steam pre-purchase.

E: scratch that, "We are unable to process refunds 48 hours before a game is due to be released or preload begins" :(

I've been watching the "tutorial" stream and if you can continue the game after the tutorial, it's a pretty nice boost: you start out with 5000 gold and 40k manpower plus 700 of each power, and each objective you complete rewards you with non trivial amounts of power and stuff including until-end-of-game modifiers :v: (no idea if it will be the same in the final version)

Ah shame. Stupid code only coming out right before the release. :argh:

I'm assuming the tutorial is just as Rome? Or could you go through it as anyone?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sudo rm -rf posted:

one thing i'm gonna need is an endonym mod so all countries and tribes don't sound either latin or greek

some quick work on germanic tribe names that i'll probably put in a mod:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Lemovia = Glommas are you loving kidding me

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Eimi posted:

Ah shame. Stupid code only coming out right before the release. :argh:

I'm assuming the tutorial is just as Rome? Or could you go through it as anyone?

Never preorder far in advance with GMG, cause there's a pretty good chance they will come out with a discount for any vaguely big game in the last few days.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1stGear posted:

this feels like an overreaction lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sudo rm -rf posted:

this feels like an overreaction lol

LANGUAGE IS STUPID

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

1stGear posted:

What's horribly bad about that? Translated country names tend to differ from the local names. Sometimes radically.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Roma = Amor

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1stGear posted:

real talk this is like 90% complete guess-work

i was just going by this:

quote:

The archaeological Dębczyn group might comprise the remnants of the Lemovii, probably identical with Widsith's Glommas, who are believed to have been the neighbors of the Rugii, a tribe dwelling at the Baltic Sea coast in today's Pomerania region before the migration period.[4][5] Both "Lemovii" and "Glommas" translate to "the barking".[5] Germanic sagas report a battle on the isle of Hiddensee between king Hetel (Hethin, Heodin of the Glommas) and Rugian king Hagen, following the abduction of Hagen's daughter Hilde by Hetel.[4] Yet, there are also other hypotheses about the location of the Lemovii, and that their identification as Glommas, though probable, is not certain.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemovii

so i had the choice of a german 'lemovier' which still sounds latin-derived, or this other word from an old-english source. the latter sounds cooler so it won for me, haha.

honestly i spent about 10 minutes at most on the majority of these, so if y'all have suggestions, or are fluent in deutsch/norsk/dansk/svensk i'd definitely defer to another's expertise.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

its friezen, not friesen

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

sudo rm -rf posted:

I usually dislike these mods but I'm totally up for this one.

Now do the province names :suicide:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Davincie posted:

its friezen, not friesen

word, thanks

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I usually dislike these mods but I'm totally up for this one.

Now do the province names :suicide:

maybe, that will need to wait until the game comes out though

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Roma = Amor Ermor

:colbert:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I want my glitch-filled hellhole where I can pretend to be a guy who never bathes that leads a people to murder a bunch of nerds who read and poo poo TODAY, not tomorrow. drat you, Swedes!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
To be clear, I wasn't criticizing the quality of translation or anything cause I got no loving idea how any of those words can be pronounced. Just the perpetual incredulous amazement that a word can look one way in English and be pronounced so radically different.

Y'all need some of God's chosen tongue: American.