Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Phone posted:

Discord is irc for millennials

Considering the oldest millennials are turning 40, IRC is IRC for millennials :colbert:

Luckily Discord is pretty simple to use though. Just click am invite link and the client does most of the setup for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
Shinryu was fun and the PLD wings are sick. First time level capping on a game since I played Aion back at its launch and I can honestly say the story has been great. Now to just get through the patch content before Shadowbringers comes out.

Also, where the gently caress do I start for getting gear post 70 if I can't afford to just buy something like the 380 gear off the market?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I used irc a lot back in the day because I'm an Internet Old (not irl old yet) and that's why I have no interest in Discord. I just can't be bothered to create another goddamn account on another goddamn thing I probably won't use what with all those kids on my lawn. Thanks for the advice about editions, I'll just go with the regular-rear end complete.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There is no middle finger large enough for the bullshit of the Garuda fight part of the XV quest line.
At least Nocts' clothes dye well.

What was the issue? I thought it was really fun and well done!

I want a real fight where I zip around nonstop.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fureil posted:

Shinryu was fun and the PLD wings are sick. First time level capping on a game since I played Aion back at its launch and I can honestly say the story has been great. Now to just get through the patch content before Shadowbringers comes out.

Also, where the gently caress do I start for getting gear post 70 if I can't afford to just buy something like the 380 gear off the market?

Nearly any high level duty you run as a level 70 will reward some Mendacity and Creation tomestones. You can spend these in Rhalgr's Reach for i360 and i390 equipment respectively.

You can also run level 70 dungeons and raids to farm for both direct drop gear and tomestones, though at first your options will be a bit limited until your ilvl goes up.

Or if you're on a goon sever just ask somebody to craft you a suit of i380 stuff and you'll probably find somebody to do it cheap or free.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fureil posted:

Run the dungeons you unlock in Kugane and Rhalgar's Reach. The 24 man raids will help too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, sitting out a bunch of HW and SB left me with a ton of things I haven't unlocked yet and it's sort of overwhelming. I'm way behind on GC stuff so I'm just now unlocking my squadron, there are a ton of dungeons I haven't unlocked, I haven't done any of the extreme trials...

I'm glad there's a lot to do but now that I'm done with the post-SB MSQ stuff it's hard to know where to even start, especially because I'm also trying to level a healer at the same time :psyduck:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The best way I've seen to handle a crap ton of undone content like that is just take it patch by patch, do the 3.2 stuff before the 4.3 stuff for example. Its a good way to organize it without feeling overwhelmed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fureil posted:

The non-paying for it method of gearing up is to run the roulettes that you can for mendacity and hopefully some genesis tomes. Once you're out of roulettes, go do your centurio daily hunts and then try and catch any hunt targets announced. I believe you can turn in centurios for 340 gear, and mendacity for 360 gear. Once you hit whatever the ilvl requirement is for deltascape, you can run that for 350 gear. Rabanastre gives lefthand side 340, and then the you move on to ridorana lighthouse for lefthand 360 gear. Once you get around 340 or 350 ilvl you should qualify for all the roulettes that give genesis tomes and you can use those for 390 gear. This gear can be upgraded to 400 and is the current cap of the expansion. Once you can run alphascape and orbonne, those are worth 370 and 390 respectively.

Ultimately, the goal is to get to the bare minimum ilvl required to do Alphascape normal and then grind out 370 gear there until you can get into orbonne, which gives 390 (but lefthand side only, so get jewelry in alphascape), all the while spending genesis on upgradeable 390. You will also need to do one run reach of rabanastre, ridorana, and orbonne for a raid specific coin you get on completion. You can turn 1 each of those coins in for an item that will upgrade a piece of genesis gear to 400.
Gearing priority is:
1. Weapon. Weapon damage affects everything and is the best stat in the game hands down. Yes, even for healers and tanks.
2. Chest and Legs: They have higher stat budgets.
3. head gloves feet: a little better stat wise than jewelry, but also has vitality which is nice.
4. Belt: same stats as other accessories, but also has vitality.
5. right hand side

JOKE ANSWER: Dehumanize yourself and face to eureka. Your stats don't matter in there and if you grind long enough you end up with a 405 weapon and 390 left hand.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Gally posted:

What was the issue? I thought it was really fun and well done!

I want a real fight where I zip around nonstop.

How did you do the part where you had to zip away from the big attack? I kept getting sucked back in no matter what I did.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Bobfly posted:

How did you do the part where you had to zip away from the big attack? I kept getting sucked back in no matter what I did.

Gotta use Warp near the end of Garuda's cast. Might take some damage but it's survivable with some distance. Admittedly this was my least favorite part of the event, as the pass/fail nature on a new mechanic didn't feel great.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cabbit posted:

After a couple days of max level play, I have to say, Machinist didn't take nearly as long to pick up as I thought it would. It's fun, and the problems with Overheat have kind of fallen to the wayside now that I can perform Wildfires reasonably well (and I'm restricting myself to what appears to be the much lower stress 3 ammo high ping rotation).

That being said, still looking forward to something better replacing it in Shadowbringers (hopefully).

If you have twitch prime you can still get a key from it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bobfly posted:

you only need to escape the attack itself, not the vacuums. i don't recall for sure but garuda does either 2 or 3 pull ins before the cast. i don't know if LOS matters but trying to go behind the structure will lower the proximity damage you take anyway.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CYBEReris posted:

you only need to escape the attack itself, not the vacuums. i don't recall for sure but garuda does either 2 or 3 pull ins before the cast. i don't know if LOS matters but trying to go behind the structure will lower the proximity damage you take anyway.

A lot of people ran into what I did, where they tried to time the jump out right before the attack bar was done. Garuda then pulled me back a half second before the hit itself, leaving me with no time to escape. I lived with like 100 hp on a red mage, but depending on gear a decent number of people would have been murked by that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wacky Delly posted:

If you have twitch prime you can still get a key from it.

I assume this must have been meant for someone else.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bobfly posted:

Which number plot is it?

goblet plot 21

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Nearly any high level duty you run as a level 70 will reward some Mendacity and Creation tomestones. You can spend these in Rhalgr's Reach for i360 and i390 equipment respectively.

You can also run level 70 dungeons and raids to farm for both direct drop gear and tomestones, though at first your options will be a bit limited until your ilvl goes up.

Or if you're on a goon sever just ask somebody to craft you a suit of i380 stuff and you'll probably find somebody to do it cheap or free.

I'll just keep pushing through the the patch content for Stormblood then and get that stuff unlocked, thanks!

Failboattootoot posted:

Lots of helpful info!

Thanks for that, should give me a good direction to head in and what to watch out for. I've heard enough mixed feedback about Eureka that I think I may just avoid it unless I end up wanting a glam or something from there.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

CYBEReris posted:

15!Garuda has a proximity attack? I only ever saw the generic point-blank-AoE thing that Noctis screeches at you to warp strike out of, but I could just easily walk away from. I never noticed any kind of suction thing either. Is it just something tanks and healers run into if the fight drags on too long? I went in as RDM by accident and the old bird felt utterly toothless.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Bobfly posted:

You can time it, or you can be a tank and pretty much ignore it. I hear knockback/draw-in immunity such as Surecast and Arm's Length also works.

And yeah, warp strike is on a gcd, so I'm pretty sure i synced myself with knockback timings by mashing the button. Maybe I should've staggered it, but I main a tank so it didn't even matter in the end. :v:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I did it with a level 50 scholar think I just blink striked as I was being pulled in. Seemed to work just took a loving lifetime and Noctis is a dumbass.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Did the not-Garuda fight as SAM and didn't have much issue. Probably entirely because SAM.

edit: after a seconds critical thought, it probably has something to do with the fact that I'm already used to punking AoEs with DRG, SAM and BLMs insanely good mobility. I never thought I'd fall so in love with the "secretly really good at dodging but goons won't ever admit to it because lol" jobs.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 24, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The secret to the garuda fight is to keep hitting her until she dies.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The trick to solo duties is to do them as a healer. You're not gonna die and it might take a little while to finish but it's still faster than failing 74% of the way through.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

For the garuda fight the timing felt so finicky and I was dying even when I would warp to the monoliths so I just switched to tank and it barely even hurt

Took longer to kill her, but whatever

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
It just seemed totally random as to when Garuda accepted that I was actually out of range of the attack. I finally did it as an AST with shields and a Bole just to be drat sure.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I just took the hit [laughs in WAR]

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Boogalo posted:

The trick to solo duties is to do them as a healer. You're not gonna die and it might take a little while to finish but it's still faster than failing 74% of the way through.

:same:

I healed Noct so we made it in time. Yes, it took me 7x to clear but I did it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

A lot of people ran into what I did, where they tried to time the jump out right before the attack bar was done. Garuda then pulled me back a half second before the hit itself, leaving me with no time to escape. I lived with like 100 hp on a red mage, but depending on gear a decent number of people would have been murked by that.

What I ended up doing was just running out normally, and hitting the blink after each vacuum after that. Seemed to work fine, though I hear that got others locked into a cycle of bad timing

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

KoB posted:

I just took the hit [laughs in WAR]

Same. I think I used warp strike once just to see how the FFXIV version felt then just 1,2,3'd her to the end. The thing i'll remember most is hoping Noct isn't an example of how the Trust system AI is going to function.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I took the hit as well, but I was on SAM.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
level 47. I'm really liking this game.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Givin posted:

Same. I think I used warp strike once just to see how the FFXIV version felt then just 1,2,3'd her to the end. The thing i'll remember most is hoping Noct isn't an example of how the Trust system AI is going to function.

Huh, really? What didn't you like?

I had the opposite reaction: he made me a lot more confident that the trust AI might actually play decently well. Squadrons just ignoring them can be a huge pain for dungeons with weird crap like Brayflox Hard or Wanderer's Palace, but Noctis reacted sanely to most of the hats he got that I saw. My one concern is that if they're doing that level of reactivity everywhere it might inflate the dev scripting time/dungeon by a lot.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Their answer for the Trust system based on Ghymlit/Noctis just seems to be extremely scripted movements. Wont be interesting on the 20th run but it gets the job done for the solo players I guess.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i thoght noct was decent

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its better then someone actively running into yet another aoe for the 12th time. That dungeon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

queeb posted:

yeah i thoght noct was decent

For me he was certainly not perfect, he got clipped a couple times for sure, but more than good enough to survive the encounter, at least

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They're not strictly-scripted. On the Gridania activity, I went into the duty as a MCH, decided I didn't want to do it as MCH because ugh, MCH synced below 70, and tried to fail it by chasing Noctis with AoEs.

Noctis even went as far as to run outside of the bounded area in order to get away from my kamikaze rear end. =P

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They're not strictly-scripted. On the Gridania activity, I went into the duty as a MCH, decided I didn't want to do it as MCH because ugh, MCH synced below 70, and tried to fail it by chasing Noctis with AoEs.

Noctis even went as far as to run outside of the bounded area in order to get away from my kamikaze rear end. =P

I see Tataru has taught you well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Groggy nard posted:

Did the not-Garuda fight as SAM and didn't have much issue. Probably entirely because SAM.

I died a bunch on SAM because of the pull-in attack. Probably should have tried Arms Length a bit more but my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders because of being sync'd down to 50 and not having half the class.

Rainuwastaken posted:

15!Garuda has a proximity attack? I only ever saw the generic point-blank-AoE thing that Noctis screeches at you to warp strike out of, but I could just easily walk away from. I never noticed any kind of suction thing either. Is it just something tanks and healers run into if the fight drags on too long? I went in as RDM by accident and the old bird felt utterly toothless.

At around 45-50% is when the suction attack is supposed to happen. You might have blitzed through it as other attacks were happening, although I couldn't do that on SAM so not sure how you managed it on RDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Huh, I was a lot closer than I thought but this answers my questions of what the gently caress you're supposed to do with Flare at 68. I think I misunderstood the trait description.

edit: Spell speed or crit chance, if I ever get to the point to start melding materia and focusing on one?