Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I just got a puppy not too long ago and I named him Hudson after Bill Paxton's character.

I also just recently learned that Weaver was nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award for Aliens, and that is cool as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Going to pick up Labyrinth after all this talk and praise of how hosed up it is.

And I wasn't saying we should go back and replace all special effects in old films. Just touching up the one from Alien 3 because it was so badly hosed. I wouldn't change Arnie's rubber head or stop-motion T-800 for the world.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat that looks fun. Although if you think that looked fun, check this out. You guys have to watch this video if you like this game.

It's a "funny moments" video but I didn't even know that until I was almost done with it. It's a group of friends playing online coop Marines vs aliens at first. The first map is the one in the first AvP movie. First thing that happens is the temple starts shifting and it splits up one guy from their squad. The wall goes up, he's trapped there by himself, then you just hear a bunch of gunfire and screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOc5i2zIkOw

If there were a goon AvP night. I think this game might actually be up to the task.

gently caress, I actually remember that map. It was good as hell if you were playing an alien. There was a game mode called like infection or infestation or something like that where everyone was except for one alien and if you got killed you respawned as an alien and it was loving rad on that map.

e: lol I got so excited at the mention of my favorite map that I posted before I watched the video. Infestation mode was absolutely awesome.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018
Alien 3 is my favorite alien movie.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Phobos Anomaly posted:

as for world war 2 i gotta go with my boys the axis powers

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

evobatman posted:

I honor of this thread I rewatched Aliens and Resurrection on my phone with headphones the last couple of nights before going to sleep.
You blew your load early, this Friday is Alien Day.

I’ll be re-watching ‘Alien’ since it’s the 40th anniversary; Avengers Endgame can wait until the weekend.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

You blew your load early, this Friday is Alien Day.

I’ll be re-watching ‘Alien’ since it’s the 40th anniversary; Avengers Endgame can wait until the weekend.

I have acquired the new 4k HDR version of Alien, so that can be for Friday.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I only have the weird directors cuts of the first three and for some reason avp:r

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Phobos Anomaly posted:

2edgy4me

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Honestly if Alien 3 had nothing to do with Alien, it would have been pretty cool. I liked the harsh industrial aesthetic and Weaver and Dance's performances. There were a few problems with the structure later in the film but it mostly doesn't work because of the dumbass retconning and downer vibe that clashes with the end of Aliens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone said it comes with the directors cuts as well.

Not a bad deal for all of them.

Someone also mentioned that they should eventually go on sale for $5 each :shrug:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Phobos Anomaly posted:

It was my favourite for a while too, when it was the only one I had all to myself after I'd recorded it on VHS (with terrible signal!) at the age of 9 or something. To go on a bit of a tangent, it was weirdly cut for time too -- to compensate for all the loving ad-breaks (thanks ITV), a bunch of minor stuff was missing from scenes altogether. One example being Morse shouting "gently caress!!" after Andrews gets pulled up into the vents. Removed for the sake of saving 5 seconds of broadcast time. :anime:

The SNES game was pretty cool though, even if just to run around blasting aliens instead of actually doing the missions properly. In hindsight it was way closer to Aliens than Alien 3, but whatever.

In any case, it was better than that loving horrible Megadrive/Genesis version, which might as well have been called Ripley's "Stumble & Tumble" Adventure Playground for all the slopes it made you fall down because of the poo poo scrolling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to take Charles Dutton's character from Alien 3 and put him in a much better Alien movie.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MarcusSA posted:

Someone said it comes with the directors cuts as well.

Not a bad deal for all of them.

Someone also mentioned that they should eventually go on sale for $5 each :shrug:
It's interesting my visceral reaction to each of those titles. My expressions smoothly transitioned all the way from :) to :mad:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A little late but:

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018
I liked the the Predator scenes in AvP2:R, especially the sewer fight.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just finished AvP 2010. :toot: It was actually pretty fun. Graphics hold up just fine.

I can't find any way to do any sort of local MP. Not local of course but I can't see a way to set up a server or anything. This is the PC version btw.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for real, though, am I the only person who loving hates the facehuggers in the AVP games and would legit appreciate some way to just, like, remove them from the game entirely

they're basically just little crawling jumpscares, and not only that, they're jumpscares that work on some primal level every single time for me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like can we all just agree that no game is improved by having little roving balls of poo poo-your-pants in it

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like can we all just agree that no game is improved by having little roving balls of poo poo-your-pants in it

love you, love that av, but no. i would say almost any game would be improved with some terror. even kirby has those hosed up mouth demons, and everyone loves kirby

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Phobos Anomaly posted:

I liked the the Predator scenes in AvP2:R, especially the sewer fight.

AVP2:R is the worst of the entire Alien and/or Predator series by far.

I mean, goddamn, they took the "it's dark!" part too literally and it's impossible to tell what the gently caress was going at at times.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Justin Godscock posted:

AVP2:R is the worst of the entire Alien and/or Predator series by far.

I mean, goddamn, they took the "it's dark!" part too literally and it's impossible to tell what the gently caress was going at at times.
I'd rank Requiem slightly higher than Resurrection.

At this point part of how I rate sequels is based on how negatively they impact previous, better films. Prometheus 1&2 are such black holes of series-destroying gibberish that they could rank perfect 10s in every other category and still be bad. Fortunately they're also just very bad films I'm general solution nothing of value is at stake.

Requiem is a weird one in that it somehow makes AvP1 marginally better

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3557620/william-gibsons-unproduced-alien-3-script-getting-audio-drama-featuring-michael-biehn-hicks/
William Gibson’s Unproduced ‘Alien 3’ Script Getting an Audio Drama Featuring Michael Biehn as Hicks!

quote:

Dark Horse just brought William Gibson‘s unproduced Alien 3 script to life in the form of a comic book mini-series, and we’ve just learned on the road to the fourth annual “Alien Day” this week that the script is next being turned into an original audio drama by Audible.

Audible is bringing William Gibson’s lost Alien III script to life in audio for the first time, to mark the 40th Anniversary of the birth of the Alien Franchise!

https://www.audible.com/pd/Alien-III-Audiobook/B07QY3KR81

quote:

Audible is bringing William Gibson’s lost Alien III script to life in audio for the first time, to mark the 40th Anniversary of the birth of the Alien Franchise.

Alongside a full cast Michael Biehn reprises his iconic roles as Corporal Hicks and Bishop from the 1986 film Aliens.

Father of cyberpunk, William Gibson’s original script for Alien III, written in 1987 as a sequel to Aliens, never made it to our screens, although it went on to achieve cult status among fans as the third instalment that might have been after being leaked online.

This terrifying, cinematic multicast dramatisation - directed by the multi award-winning Dirk Maggs, is the chance to experience William Gibson’s untold story and its terrifying, claustrophobic and dark encounters between humans and aliens, as a completely immersive audio experience.

The story begins with the Sulaco on its return journey from LV-426. On board the military ship are the cryogenically frozen skeleton crew of that film’s survivors: Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop.

We travel aboard and hear an alarm blare. Our heroes are no longer alone....

neatneatneat.mp3

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Floodixor posted:

Some replicas (for the most part) of what Sigourney Weaver wears at the end of Aliens when she decends to find Newt and F up the queen:

I've had 6 pairs of these Alien Stompers over the years, I never paid more than $50 for them either. One pair I have are all over Scotchlite reflective and only something like 56 pairs were ever made. I've bought so many because they're INCREDIBLE mountainbike shoes, the soles are cut in a way which makes them insanely grippy on flat pedals. I wear them until they fall apart... I still have 3 pairs on the go including those reflectives.

...but then they released those full size $300 ones and instantly all of the Alien Stompers which were previously easily attainable are now priced up in the hundreds on ebay.

:(

*edit: speaking of Alien Stompers, Hanon Shop which is where I bought the reflective ones one for £37 are having a £159 prize draw for these Bishop versions (which he wear in Aliens, ignore the nonsensical blurb about them being prototypes for Ripley's). It ends in 24 hours!!

https://launches.hanon-shop.com/collections/launch/products/reebok-alien-fighter-bishops-dv8578

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 24, 2019

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
I wish I had ankles that were conducive to wearing high tops. :(

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Screening of Aliens at USC on the 29th, followed by a Q&A session with several cast members and Alec Gillis: https://cinema.usc.edu/events/event.cfm?id=45244

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got my copy of Labyrinth today, thanks Xenomrph!

The envelope had a postage paid amount on it that was more than I expected, do you want me to send you some more ducats?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Got my copy of Labyrinth today, thanks Xenomrph!

The envelope had a postage paid amount on it that was more than I expected, do you want me to send you some more ducats?

Up to you! I have no idea how much you sent, haha.

I’m glad you got it safe and sound!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

pastis posted:

Screening of Aliens at USC on the 29th, followed by a Q&A session with several cast members and Alec Gillis: https://cinema.usc.edu/events/event.cfm?id=45244

Dammit. I could totally go to this if it wasn’t on a Monday.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
So I read the Dark Horse adaptation of Gibson's Alien 3 and also skimmed through the script. I feel like I missed something, but is there ever a reaon given how an egg ended up in Bishop's hibernation pod?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

for those of you who like digital comics, Dark Horse is selling pretty much every Aliens/AvP/Prometheus comic for real cheap on their website for Alien Day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm an idiot. I figured out how to create a multiplayer game in AvP 2010. The modes are Survivor, Deathmatch, Predator Hunt, Species DM, Infestation, Mixed Species DM, and Domination.

I don't know what any of them are besides a decent guess.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Shoot, forgot to mention, I got my comic too! Thank you, Xenomrph, I can't wait to be disgusted and horrified!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh it's the Labyrinth comic? Not the book. Ah, right then...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drunken Baker posted:

Oh it's the Labyrinth comic? Not the book. Ah, right then...

The comic is better than the book, I mailed out a bunch of copies of the comic to goons in this thread.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, I saw that! You're a cool dude, dude. :coal:
I'll try and hunt it down on Amazon after payday.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah, I saw that! You're a cool dude, dude. :coal:
I'll try and hunt it down on Amazon after payday.

If you’re cool with digital comics, I posted a link a few posts up where Dark Horse is selling it for like $3.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Yo I know I was talking mad poo poo about it but AVP 2010 is on sale for 3 whole dollars on steam right now

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AvP2010 is flawed but still a ton of fun, definitely worth $3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Related: I just copped AVP CLASSIC 2000 and it seems pretty cool but I left my mouse at work and lol i feel like my dad trying to play turok 2 all those years ago.

Guess I’ll play it tomorrow.