Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

punk rebel ecks posted:

- The country, at least Tokyo, is super advanced. I heard of other nations being ahead of America but it has to be experienced to truly understand. A city designed solely around walkability. Public transportation with speed, pricing, and reliability that makes cars antique. Not an inch of building space not used for retail.

This is more cultural than anything. The US has all of the tools to design a futuristic city like Tokyo, but the people in the US don't want it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

- Toilets are like from some a sci-fi movie. Heated seats. Butt bidets. Noise makers. Remote control lids. I'm not sure whether I should be impressed or baffled.

These exist in the US, but really only certain areas, like LA/SF choose to ever put them in, and even still it's mostly only Asian people. For example, when I buy a house, I will be installing a bidet.

quote:

- While the Japanese people may initially seem cold, if you have a basic conversation, as in say a few Japanese words, they become extremely nice and friendly.

Only outwardly.

quote:

- The entire city is super clean, which is a bit odd as it is near impossible to find a trash can anywhere.

Yes

quote:

- It's also difficult to find a toilet and drinking fountains.

Toilets are super easy to find - any station/department store. Drinking fountains are harder.

quote:

- The food is delicious. They say Tokyo outranks Paris as the best city for food and I can imagine. So many good restaurants and eats.

Until you eat Japanese food every day. That being said JP food is still my favorite

quote:

- I'm going to get eye rolls for this, but the women are absolutely gorgeous. I've never been to a city with so many beautiful women. It made me jealous. :(

lol

quote:

- Arcades are everywhere. That said in terms of "new games", it's always the same dozen games or so. I didn't realize that such few companies made modern arcade games in Japan.

yup

quote:

- There's almost an endless amount of things to do and see.

yup

quote:

- A near cash only society sucks, I prefer using cards.

yup

quote:

- It gets very lonely not being able to speak the language. Despite being surrounded by a sea of people I felt alone. There were at times I was sitting across from people and I would want to talk to them, and vice versa, but I knew I couldn't. Makes me really emphatic to non-English speaking immigrants in my country.
Like Stringent said, it gets lonelier when you do speak the language

quote:

- Despite many obvious cultural differences, I didn't feel that day to day life in Japan was THAT removed from America. Maybe I would have to live there for a bit to see. But I really felt that "they were all people just like me, just from a different place".

I'd say it's very different. But if it's your first major international travel, then yes, you'll realize that people are sometimes more alike than different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ntan1 posted:

This is more cultural than anything. The US has all of the tools to design a futuristic city like Tokyo, but the people in the US don't want it.

True.

ntan1 posted:

Like Stringent said, it gets lonelier when you do speak the language

How so?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My understanding is that unless you actually are Japanese, you will never be no matter how long you’ve lived there or how well you speak the language. Ever. You will always be an outsider. I’ve seen rants by people who have lived in Japan for 20 years about this and I want to shout “if you’ve lived there that long you should loving know this by now!”

At least when you are a visiting talking dog you are a novelty and people want you to leave with a good impression of the country.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'd imagine if you get involved the your community you could at least get a sense of belonging in that micro sense. This is definitely just my musing having not lived there for a long period of time though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Romantic dinners in Tokyo:

Instead of ginza steak there’s ukatei, which is pricier but also more of a exclusive setting. BUT, like ginza steak and most fancy pants restaurants the place gets filled with moneyed tourists like French, Arab, Hong Kongers, and other nouveau rich types easily and the service will drop if you don’t speak Japanese. It’s still good food don’t get me wrong and if you don’t really go to those kinds of places you won’t notice the drop in quality.

I was at tempura endo in Kyoto last night. Minimum sets were 10k and the staff really made sure I understood the ordering system and add on a 10% service charge. Wasn’t a problem for all the other euro tourists around me because though!

I wasn’t even served with the dipping sauce and had to passively aggressively give a few looks for them to pour for me. Still good food and the fried scallop with a dash of caviar was interesting.

My recommendation :

Nakasei by asakusa. A upper mid range tempura restaurant with an inner garden, a really good lunch place and not busy. Also not expensive:

Not sure if you guys are up for French but freaking robuchon au dome can’t go wrong.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Most Japanese people I know are pretty sweet and friendly in a way that I feel is perfectly genuine, even past the point where you're this weird non-threatening curiosity. There's a lot of dumb condescending old men in izakayas but with the people I actually know (as long as they're people from outside work, which is a different story) I don't feel any of that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I could look inside and take photos as long as I didn’t post them anywhere. That’s my cool skytree story, thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

post the photos and call no man -sama

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

- Arcades are everywhere. That said in terms of "new games", it's always the same dozen games or so. I didn't realize that such few companies made modern arcade games in Japan.

The Japanese arcade industry is in a toilet compared to how it was even 15 years ago, as far as variety is concerned. The games are now targeted exclusively towards obsessive types with lots of skinner box poo poo, as opposed to what arcade games used to be: quick bursts of fun that are "easy to learn, hard to master". Instead of many different games arcades in Japan now are full of dozens of copies of maybe like 6 games. There are certain arcades that are dedicated to the old, good games (look for places full of identical cabinets with CRT monitors) and those places are great, but walking into a random taito station or club sega is going to be a real boring, samey experience.

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 24, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the new densha de go is really loving good though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Doctor Zero posted:

My understanding is that unless you actually are Japanese, you will never be no matter how long you’ve lived there or how well you speak the language. Ever. You will always be an outsider. I’ve seen rants by people who have lived in Japan for 20 years about this and I want to shout “if you’ve lived there that long you should loving know this by now!”

At least when you are a visiting talking dog you are a novelty and people want you to leave with a good impression of the country.

I think most Japanese people are lonely and feel like outsiders. It's just an extremely othering culture.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mikeycp posted:

the new densha de go is really loving good though

yeah true!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

They're still cold.

The same tack that leads you (and myself) to believe this can be applied to everyone, technically. Who’s to say that this isn’t universal? We’re unfortunately not mind readers.

For my part, I’m not a cold person. I believe Rosseau was right. So even if everyone else is cold, or if they’re all truly welcoming, I’ll tip the scale in the direction I believe in. “If you won’t, I will.”

quote:

It's a very sexist society so women have incentives to dress well and wear lots of makeup.

Yeah, that. I get the sense that I stick out like a sore thumb for being the only fat Guatemalan-American trans woman eating at Kushikatsu Daruma :v:

It kinda sucks, honestly. Lots of self-doubt. That said I believe it’s complicated and very much influenced by both Japanese cultural arrangements and lovely American diets.

quote:

Being able to speak the language actually makes it worse.

I can definitely see proficiency at the language causing more resentment and contempt than less, for certain people. I have no idea if it’s universal or realistic, though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

caberham posted:

Romantic dinners in Tokyo:

Instead of ginza steak there’s ukatei, which is pricier but also more of a exclusive setting. BUT, like ginza steak and most fancy pants restaurants the place gets filled with moneyed tourists like French, Arab, Hong Kongers, and other nouveau rich types easily and the service will drop if you don’t speak Japanese. It’s still good food don’t get me wrong and if you don’t really go to those kinds of places you won’t notice the drop in quality.

I was at tempura endo in Kyoto last night. Minimum sets were 10k and the staff really made sure I understood the ordering system and add on a 10% service charge. Wasn’t a problem for all the other euro tourists around me because though!

I wasn’t even served with the dipping sauce and had to passively aggressively give a few looks for them to pour for me. Still good food and the fried scallop with a dash of caviar was interesting.

My recommendation :

Nakasei by asakusa. A upper mid range tempura restaurant with an inner garden, a really good lunch place and not busy. Also not expensive:

Not sure if you guys are up for French but freaking robuchon au dome can’t go wrong.

Dope! Gonna check these spots out tonight.

Is Akiba(that's the nickname for Akihabara, right?) a decent spot to look for a board game? Friend is interested in a game, wondering where the best spot would be to look..

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Zero posted:

My experience of Japan is that it’s a cool place to live, but I’ll be hosed if I live here long-term. This doesn’t feel like home to me the way the US does, and I have no love for the society and don’t wish to integrate into it.

Dad keeps hounding me into living here for a month or a year and I don’t know how to tell him that it doesn’t sound enjoyable at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

My experience of Japan is that it’s a cool place to live, but I’ll be hosed if I live here long-term. This doesn’t feel like home to me the way the US does,

You’ve been on vacation for like a week. That’s entirely different from having a routine set around daily life, and is probably far too soon to make that sort of judgment (I feel like that requires 6 months to a year, because you need to go through the whole cycle and both super-love and turbo-hate a new place to get a grasp on it). You can get a vibe for a place but after that short, no foreign country is “going to feel like home” in that way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

d0s posted:

The Japanese arcade industry is in a toilet compared to how it was even 15 years ago, as far as variety is concerned. The games are now targeted exclusively towards obsessive types with lots of skinner box poo poo, as opposed to what arcade games used to be: quick bursts of fun that are "easy to learn, hard to master". Instead of many different games arcades in Japan now are full of dozens of copies of maybe like 6 games. There are certain arcades that are dedicated to the old, good games (look for places full of identical cabinets with CRT monitors) and those places are great, but walking into a random taito station or club sega is going to be a real boring, samey experience.

UFO catchers are bullshit and need to be outlawed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

harperdc posted:

You’ve been on vacation for like a week. That’s entirely different from having a routine set around daily life, and is probably far too soon to make that sort of judgment (I feel like that requires 6 months to a year, because you need to go through the whole cycle and both super-love and turbo-hate a new place to get a grasp on it). You can get a vibe for a place but after that short, no foreign country is “going to feel like home” in that way.

Yeah, exactly. In truth, far too early to tell for sure.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

yeah i went through that cycle after like 3.5 months there

i've been trying to get over there permanently since i got back from that trip

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

harperdc posted:

I do have to say that I never felt the truly negative feelings about Japan when I was living there before. Sure, we all know the quirky and inefficient way some things are done, but that never bothered me deeply and overall my years there were really pleasurable.

But yes, hard to judge anything after only a week.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

UFO catchers are bullshit and need to be outlawed.

for the most part I agree but I won a pretty good taito station waifu on a single coin once so I'm conflicted

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Back to subway discussion, heres an interactive map of New York City's system where you can see where they found (of the bacteria and etc they could actually identify) things like diarrhea or UTIs. http://graphics.wsj.com/patho-map/?sel=bact

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Back to subway discussion, heres an interactive map of New York City's system where you can see where they found (of the bacteria and etc they could actually identify) things like diarrhea or UTIs. http://graphics.wsj.com/patho-map/?sel=bact

I think a big reason the Tokyo metro and JR lines are generally a bit cleaner? There’s down time, and stuff can get cleaned up at stations and on trains. We could probably have a whole page or two of fun sights and smells of the Tokyo train system, but despite seeing the worst of it all, it all gets cleaned up quickly.

Because seeing people vomit on train platforms is absolutely a part of the Tokyo experience.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Maybe cuz I grew up in the American northeast where no one acknowledges each other on the street and saying "Hi" to strangers is blasphemy but I never found Japanese people "cold" lol I had lots of randos come up to me and talk in restaurants and bars and the like.

d0s posted:

Mostly true, but rhythm games have never been better. I spend a stupid amount on SDVX or whatever whenever I'm over.

I was p disappointed with the arcade versions of Theatrhythm though, they felt and played real bad.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Mostly true, but rhythm games have never been better. I spend a stupid amount on SDVX or whatever whenever I'm over.

Yeah I guess part of my complaint is that I never really cared for them and over the years they ended up taking over so much floor space in arcades, pushing out all the sticks and buttons games (except for fighters). If you're into it though yeah it's a great time to be an rhythm game player

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I was p disappointed with the arcade versions of Theatrhythm though, they felt and played real bad.

it's bad

jubeat and chunithm though...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We went to an arcade in an otherwise nondescript neighborhood in Tokyo during our trip. I don't play arcade games, so what I remember best is the smell of cigarettes and despair

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Johnny Truant posted:

Is Akiba(that's the nickname for Akihabara, right?) a decent spot to look for a board game? Friend is interested in a game, wondering where the best spot would be to look..

Yellow Submarine has a board/TCG/RPG satellite store, at least in Dendentown. I bought White Knight and a Japanese version of the second Dragonlance novel there. Very legit!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

d0s posted:

for the most part I agree but I won a pretty good taito station waifu on a single coin once so I'm conflicted

Oh no it’s adorable. I love that kitty :3:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 25, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I can only imagine all the people calling Japanese people ‘cold’ have just literally never been to a large city?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is that literally the only thing you can imagine? Not that I don't believe you, just wanted to confirm.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It is literally the only possible explanation for people to literally believe that in a literal sense.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Shout out to all my poorly traveled 日本人

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I don’t find Japanese people particularly more cold than anywhere else. Though really the only time I’ve interacted with Japanese people in the past 5 years is at the *~_HUB_~*

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Shout out to all my poorly traveled 日本人

Thanks for a bunch of articles talking about people who have never been to big cities to back up my point that people must have never been to big cities

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah it's a big city thing all over the world

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Doctor Zero posted:

If this mentality is true, Japan is going to go through some turbulence as it accepts more immigrants to counter its aging population.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I guess it makes sense that Japanese people would have a general perception of folks in Tokyo being cold since the vast majority of the population lives in the countryside.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i don't think it's a particularly unfair generalization of tokyoites

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You know that weird thing where peoples' fuses get super short for some reason when flying? That's what everyone is like on the trains in Tokyo, every day. No Taro, you cannot loving stand in this single square centimeter, it's mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mikeycp posted:

i don't think it's a particularly unfair generalization of tokyoites

It’s perhaps not unfair, but relative to what? Are New Yorkers and Londoners known to be very kind and warm to outsiders, and moreover people who humble about making asses of themselves, not knowing etiquette, being generally dirty, and not knowing any of the language at all (aka virtually every tourist to Tokyo).

Given the context and when compared to peers I’d say Tokyoites are nice as gently caress considering the dumb poo poo they put up with.