Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Did Rauner have any investigations into his financial shadiness while he was in office?

I cannot remember anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Juliana Stratton good? Since it seems like Pritzker isn't going to do poo poo, maybe this can get him out of office and put someone in who cares about more than just photo ops.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Did Rauner have any investigations into his financial shadiness while he was in office?

I cannot remember anything.

I don't think so but he's not out of the woods yet. It wasn't until right after Quinn was out of office that he started getting looked at IIRC, although that investigation didn't go anywhere.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Back in October I was at a press conference in a back yard in Des Plaines where Rauner and Schneider gave a speech about how the toilet thing was A CRIMINAL ACT, HEINOUS!

Then as soon as they shut their mouths every reporter out there started hammering him with questions about Quincy, and he answered 2 by bring it back around to the toilets, and then he was whisked away to safety.

Rich Miller is right to point out that the investigation started right around when Roskam and the other shitheel GOP US reps in IL sent a letter to the States Attorney begging to please, god, investigate the toilets!

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Thing is, what's the max sentence for something like that even if he's found guilty? They've already paid back what they got on the tax break in full so it's not like the county is down any money.

I'm guessing if anything comes of it, his brother or whoever it is that was managing the property and named on the deed will take the fall. IL gonna IL.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you commit tax fraud you still get in trouble even if you pay it back. Usually. But he's rich so it probably won't matter.

Personally I do think this is a big deal, he's already a billionaire and pulling poo poo like this to avoid tax breaks which ultimately Jack's up the property taxes on everyone else is heinous. I guarantee if he would pull something like this he's done plenty else more subtle to gently caress us over.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I accepted he has probably done awful money things when I voted for him. He's a billionaire, you don't get that way clean.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Honestly as long as he can pass the fair tax I don't give a gently caress about anything else, but May is going to be an utter clusterfuck in the GA and everyone I know is bracing themselves for it. I mean look at all the poo poo he wants to get through.

Weed, gaming (Sports and video), capital bill, fair tax. Two of those things would be a big ask for a single legislative session normally, especially after already jamming through the minimum wage already earlier in the session.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I accepted he has probably done awful money things when I voted for him. He's a billionaire, you don't get that way clean.

He's an heir, he didn't have to be clean or dirty, Grandpa did it all for him.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

https://capitolfax.com/2019/04/30/legislators-threatened-with-mass-assassination-if-they-dont-remove-pension-clause-from-state-constitution/

Very cool and very normal. Totally not some nutcase who has read too much IPI.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Met the data firm for I think Lightfoot's campaign, they used word "representative" for the client but the timeline they mentioned fits better for Lightfoot but obviously they didnt confirm. Interesting people, extremely enamored with Trump's data team and thought Hillary's was garbage, had some fascinating insights from their data sets of non-profit work they were willing to share.

In closing; deplatforming is the best way to stop abhorrent ideologies.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Barudak posted:

Met the data firm for I think Lightfoot's campaign, they used word "representative" for the client but the timeline they mentioned fits better for Lightfoot but obviously they didnt confirm. Interesting people, extremely enamored with Trump's data team and thought Hillary's was garbage, had some fascinating insights from their data sets of non-profit work they were willing to share.

In closing; deplatforming is the best way to stop abhorrent ideologies.

Do they need everything by mid-august? Probably a congressional challenger who wants to have things set before printing petitions.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

IPI?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Illinois Policy Institute, a lolbertarian "think tank" 501(c)3 organization, specializing in muddying the water on tax issues. Basically a gently caress-you-got-mine ALEC wannabe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Do they need everything by mid-august? Probably a congressional challenger who wants to have things set before printing petitions.

Cant be, it was a finished case study and noted the candidate they worked for won.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Illinois Policy Institute, a lolbertarian "think tank" 501(c)3 organization, specializing in muddying the water on tax issues. Basically a gently caress-you-got-mine ALEC wannabe.

Also helped run Rauners administration for the last year or two

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

Also helped run Rauners administration for the last year or two

Hence the "ALEC" part. And given how Brucie's run as governor went, also the "wannabe" part.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Hence the "ALEC" part. And given how Brucie's run as governor went, also the "wannabe" part.

ALEC sponsors and "advises" a lot, but I think IPI had a number of direct hires into Rauner's admin by the end. Does ALEC do that as well?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
IPI is Dan Proft's group, right?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-new-marijuana-bill-proposal-20190504-story.html

quote:

A proposed law to legalize recreational use of marijuana in Illinois would allow possession of up to 30 grams of the plant for residents 21 and over, a $20 million low-interest loan program to promote “social equity” in business ownership, and expungement of misdemeanor and Class 4 felony marijuana convictions.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So it doesn't seem like we'll see stores till the middle of next year.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

IPI is Dan Proft's group, right?

Proft is definitely chummy with them but I am not sure how involved he is. He definitely parrots them in his 30-something fake newspapers.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Seems pretty interesting.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190507/illinois-took-in-15-billion-more-than-expected-last-month

quote:

State revenue for April exceeded projections by $1.5 billion, according to a letter sent to legislative leaders by state finance officials.

The windfall all but covers the deficit expected in Gov. J.B. Pritzker's budget.

"Gov. Pritzker remains committed to a financially responsible budget that addresses Illinois' outstanding obligations, and recommends that these additional revenues can be dedicated to the state's statutory (fiscal year 2020) pension payment," said the letter co-authored by Illinois Department of Revenue Secretary David Harris and Office of Management and Budget Director Alexis Sturm.

Most of the additional revenue came from income tax payments.

"More than $4.1 billion in individual and corporate income tax revenues were deposited into the general funds in the month of April 2019, up $1.14 billion or 38% from April 2018 income tax deposits of $3 billion," the pair wrote. "This is also more than $1.5 billion more than internally projected for April 2019."

Using the money for pension payments would allow the state to maintain the current pension payment schedule instead of pushing it off another year.

Barrington Hills Republican state Rep. David McSweeney argued the money should be used to pay down the state's current $6 billion backlog of bills.

"We need to cut spending in Springfield," McSweeney said.

The finance officials offered several explanations for the influx of cash last month.

Those include "the performance of the stock market, better federal reimbursement for Medicaid, the elimination of the federal state and local tax deduction and additional changes in the federal tax law that meant many taxpayers didn't withhold sufficient taxes through payroll deductions, backloading their end-of-year tax payments," Harris and Sturm wrote.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The windfall all but covers the deficit expected in Gov. J.B. Pritzker's budget.

the elimination of the federal state and local tax deduction and additional changes in the federal tax law that meant many taxpayers didn't withhold sufficient taxes through payroll deductions, backloading their end-of-year tax payments," Harris and Sturm wrote.

Help, why is reality so stupid?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I suppose the federal tax law was written to benefit multi-billionaires and huge corporations, and there are less of them in Illinois than New York, California, and other states people are moving to from Illinois.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Here's some shady bullshit on marijuana legalization.
https://www.wcia.com/amp/news/capitol-news/senator-charges-to-reveal-what-cannabis-companies-are-viable-/2002422831

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

everything about that is so loving chicago/illinois politics

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I noticed a lot of stuff popping up opposing marijuana here. Like the Sun-Times ran two negative editorials last week. Is there a chance this all falls through?

And not surprising that some shady poo poo is involved. They were always going to get their cut before any of this went through.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Its really unfortunate that IL isn't taking the Denver/CO approach.

Vice tax on retail, control zones of purchase, revenue goes to education.

But no, we have to get wild on personal cultivation, equity in a pseduo-VC arrangement funded by the state (?) and other garbage like that state rep above selling seminars.

Sigh.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Colorado created a lot of unintended consequences when it legalized, which led to most of the benefits going to wealthy white people, many from out of state.

Illinois is trying to avoid those mistakes, and anti-legalization forces (the alcohol lobby) are now using that to slow it down but they'd just use another excuse if legalization was more straightforward.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

jbusbysack posted:

Its really unfortunate that IL isn't taking the Denver/CO approach.

Vice tax on retail, control zones of purchase, revenue goes to education.

But no, we have to get wild on personal cultivation, equity in a pseduo-VC arrangement funded by the state (?) and other garbage like that state rep above selling seminars.

Sigh.

The equity thing is really, really important. Otherwise you have a situation where, by dealing in and going to prison for marijuana for so long, PoC basically made an enormous initial investment so frat boys straight out of college can become millionaires doing the same thing. Meanwhile there will be PoC serving out sentences, and many more suffering the long-term consequences of regularly having their family members and capital taken from them by the state.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't care how they do it. The important thing is that it is legalized and people will stop getting up for weed. Also that people who have these dumb convictions can get them expunged so they can get a decent job.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

I don't care how they do it. The important thing is that it is legalized and people will stop getting up for weed. Also that people who have these dumb convictions can get them expunged so they can get a decent job.

It's gonna be great when Michigan starts selling recreational weed at the end of this year. Even though it looks like the SW corner already has a bunch of areas that have already banned the sale, I'm sure there is going to be a couple of communities that will buck that trend and then I'll just make a 2 hour drive to pick up a shitload of weed for myself.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
New Buffalo's definitely gonna have it for the tourists.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The number of lovely Indiana cops lining up at the border to pull over out-of-state license plates is gonna be astronomical

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The X-man cometh posted:

New Buffalo's definitely gonna have it for the tourists.

Nope, New Buffalo has already banned recreational sales according to this map/site: https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/marijuana-businesses-banned-in-more-than-250-michigan-communities.html

But I'm guessing some community between New Buffalo and Benton Harbor won't be idiots. Especially some of the little communities around the Warren Dunes State Park.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

The number of lovely Indiana cops lining up at the border to pull over out-of-state license plates is gonna be astronomical

Lmao, the best way to probably do it would be to boat from Chicago to Michigan.

Also, there isn't much the police can do if you just follow the speed limit and don't drive like an rear end in a top hat. At least in theory since they can pretty much come up with any reason to pull you over. But they would still need probable cause to search your vehicle, although police are obviously fascists and don't really care about following the law just forcing others to follow it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My dad just retired to Michigan. My uncle also has been growing weed for 30 years and grew legally as soon as Michigan made medical legal way back when.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beastie posted:

My dad just retired to Michigan. My uncle also has been growing weed for 30 years and grew legally as soon as Michigan made medical legal way back when.

Just FYI, I still feel a little bad about just believing the poor assumptions of my parents regarding your aunt and uncle. I really just remember them as cool people with that crazy looking dog Petey.

But you won't have any issues getting weed. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
So, I'm very much out of politics because I'm still putting myself back together after being homeless.

Is there any chance or to to try and get disability income to match minimum wage?

Surviving Chicago on 534$ a month is stressful