Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Just CG some Star Trek branding over old Space Cases episodes and it's not too off.

lol oh yeah that show basically was Star Trek Jr. wasn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Spacebump posted:

Just CG some Star Trek branding over old Space Cases episodes and it's not too off.

Hey, if Peter David gets another paycheck out of it, maybe he can finally pay his back taxes.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

jng2058 posted:

That's the trouble, isn't it? For awhile there, Star Trek was something else. A vision of the future, a utopian dream, something that inspired us and made us want to aspire to. Now, it's just a brand. And not even a very good one anymore. :sigh:

Hello sir/ma'am would you like an IDIC medallion?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

Hello sir/ma'am would you like an IDIC medallion?

The funny thing about that story was that Gene just wanted to hock some poo poo and it was the actors that were like gently caress's sake gene can we not

Like yeah this poo poo has always been To Sell Toys (well not in as much but you get the idea) to some extent but now it's real noticeable I guess lmao

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Orv posted:

Just watched S2 E1, I still think a lot of it is off-point for a Star Trek show but realistically you can't make TNG/DS9 nowadays

Your username is the first 3 letters of a show that proves otherwise.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Orv posted:

Just watched S2 E1, I still think a lot of it is off-point for a Star Trek show but realistically you can't make TNG/DS9 nowadays

That is literally what they're doing with The Orville though

Edit: beaten and thrown across the bridge like Worf

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
all the women star trek fannes i know love discovery and all hate the orville so the orville is actually a super handy dumping ground for fake trek fans (i.e. men)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

all the women star trek fannes i know love discovery and all hate the orville so the orville is actually a super handy dumping ground for fake trek fans (i.e. men)

I will say one of the things Disco gets right is having a fuckton of women being front and center and kicking rear end.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pick posted:

My wife loves both :shrug:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I will not watch Orville so long as Seth McFarlane exists in the space-time continuum.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I think what the Orville is doing is great and good but I don’t see a resemblance to TNG besides color tone. People must be deaf to emotional tone. My dad is in his late 60’s and he loves Orville but it’s a comedy/adventure show for him.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Orville is literally TNG scripts with fart jokes added.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

Orville is literally TNG scripts with fart jokes added.

That’s not true.

Sometimes there are weed jokes too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife walked away from Discovery within the first 30 min of the pilot saying it was some of the worst written dialog she's ever heard and all the characters were annoying terrible people. I told her some Season 2 episodes were ok and we tried to watch one but she still just hated everything about the show and couldn't make it through and kept saying "This isn't star trek, they're trying to be dark and depressing like the Expanse but they can't write dialog or create good characters. Why didn't they just make their own action drama and not call it Trek?"

She's managed to slightly get into the Orville if it's a good episode but has a pretty low tolerance for Seth's character or his lovely love life and pathetic interactions with this ex. If it's a Doctor / Isaac / Bortus&Klyden focused episode she's down though.

Mostly she'd rather just watch DS9 or The Expanse again.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kibayasu posted:

That’s not true.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bortus carries like 50% of Orville on his own, easily.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 24, 2019

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I will say one of the things Disco gets right is having a fuckton of women being front and center and kicking rear end.

Yum yum.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Bortus carries like 50% of Orville on his own, easily.

dur hur that's a dumb fart joke and not exactly the kind of silly poo poo Worf would say/do pretty often

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

feedmegin posted:

My wife loves both :shrug:

lol same

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

I will not watch Orville so long as Seth McFarlane exists in the space-time continuum.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seth rules.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

:emptyquote:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baronjutter posted:

My wife walked away from Discovery within the first 30 min of the pilot saying it was some of the worst written dialog she's ever heard and all the characters were annoying terrible people. I told her some Season 2 episodes were ok and we tried to watch one but she still just hated everything about the show and couldn't make it through and kept saying "This isn't star trek, they're trying to be dark and depressing like the Expanse but they can't write dialog or create good characters. Why didn't they just make their own action drama and not call it Trek?"

She's managed to slightly get into the Orville if it's a good episode but has a pretty low tolerance for Seth's character or his lovely love life and pathetic interactions with this ex. If it's a Doctor / Isaac / Bortus&Klyden focused episode she's down though.

Mostly she'd rather just watch DS9 or The Expanse again.

I would seriously start a Disco newcomer off with Season 2. I think the season opener is accessible enough; they even re-introduce the spore drive via Pike.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lord do we really need to do a referendum on Seth MacFarlane here

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kibayasu posted:

That’s not true.

Series 2 of Orville is a whole new show and you're absolutely missing out on new Star Trek by not watching it. And I really don't like Seth, but I still look foward to the Orville every week.

To carry on something said earlier I also find it really hard to watch the Star Wars cartoons because the animation feels so lovely to me. Even Resistance - which I was hoping might look a bit more old fashioned - is horrible CGI characters with bad faces. I've nothing against CGI, they've just done it in a way I don't like.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Taear posted:

Series 2 of Orville is a whole new show and you're absolutely missing out on new Star Trek by not watching it. And I really don't like Seth, but I still look foward to the Orville every week.

To carry on something said earlier I also find it really hard to watch the Star Wars cartoons because the animation feels so lovely to me. Even Resistance - which I was hoping might look a bit more old fashioned - is horrible CGI characters with bad faces. I've nothing against CGI, they've just done it in a way I don't like.

Clone wars in the last few seasons is movie-tier animation though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Thom12255 posted:

Clone wars in the last few seasons is movie-tier animation though.

The 2003 one is amazing.
The 2008 one is the start of the lovely animation I mean.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lord do we really need to do a referendum on Seth MacFarlane here

I feel like we have to endure one every two months or so, lest the thread lose antimatter containment.

But, yes, the endless re-litigating of The Orville and Seth MacFarlane in both this and the Discovery thread gives me the mother of all headaches every time it comes up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Star wars rebels is the one where the protagonist kid has a goofy electric slingshot and also bombs parades right?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
If you are not watching The Orville because of Seth MacFarlane you are making an enormous mistake. Season 2 is down right amazing.

Seth has really put his entire soul into the show and it shows. The “fart jokes in space” trope is so far from what it actually is now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A species that speaks only in memes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not at all about McFarlane and all about essentially preaching pseudo-enlightened California douche male values without the kind of legitimate insight that Star Trek is made of

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:eyepop:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

It's not at all about McFarlane

Bedshaped posted:

And that post was empty-quoted twice more. Maybe re-think this, Pick.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

It's not at all about McFarlane and all about essentially preaching pseudo-enlightened California douche male values without the kind of legitimate insight that Star Trek is made of

The half-dozen people who specifically mentioned it was all about hating McFarlane would disagree but go off I guess

Orv
May 4, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Your username is the first 3 letters of a show that proves otherwise.

I am... exceedingly wary of anything out of Seth McFarlane (or however I will inevitably fail to spell his last name) and while I've seen plenty of people say "It's a Star Trek show not a Seth McFarlane show" I'm always wary of that as well because I'm cynical, jaded and a humorless bore. And more-over that line of reasoning is almost always a lie in relation to recommendations about any creative output, people basically make one thing if they're good at it. I'm willing to give it a shot but I'm not really expecting it to be my thing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 25, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's been 3 or so bad episodes so far in the orville and unfortunately one of them is the pilot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Orv posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot but I'm not really expecting it to be my thing.

I don't think anyone could ask for more!

I can't stand a single thing he did before this, including American Dad which people seem to actually love, but drat do I love Orville

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tunicate posted:

Star wars rebels is the one where the protagonist kid has a goofy electric slingshot and also bombs parades right?

Both of those things are pretty much gone by the end of the first season. Rebels ended up being an extremely good show with some of the best Force mythology since Empire Strikes Back. That first season is just slow as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

There's been 3 or so bad episodes so far in the orville and unfortunately one of them is the pilot

To be fair I would say that "the first 1-2 seasons are really bad compared to when the show finds its footing" is almost standard for Trek shows