Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to stand your ground. You might as well face whatever is coming – you don’t see anywhere to hide!

You step into the center of the room.

The sirens whoop louder. The lights flash faster.

And then the ground drops out from under you!

Whoa! You’re sliding down a long chute. You glimpse a bright white room below you. You realize you’re sliding into one of the underground labs you passed earlier.

“Man, was this ever the right decision!” you congratulate yourself. After being in that cramped, dark Rat Tomb, the white room below you looks great.

The chute levels off. You slow down, then come to a stop – inches from the mouth of the chute. You take in giant gulps of the pure, clean air.

Then, a terrifying sight freezes your breath in your lungs.

It’s Stinko! Your little brother is strapped to a stainless-steel lab table. He struggles against the restraints.

But that isn’t what sends chills through your body. Stinko is surrounded by hippie girls and guys.

Hippies who are half human – and half rat!

quote:

Your stomach lurches as you gape at the bizarre creatures. Some have human bodies with rat heads. Some have rat bodies and human faces. Others are a disgusting mix of both!

Two gigantic all-rat rats stand at the head of the table. They wear lab coats that fit awkwardly over their huge, furry bodies. Their whiskers twitch as they shove their pointy faces at Stinko.

“Leave me alone,” Stinko whimpers.

The little stinker may drive you crazy, but you can’t let those monster mutants hurt him.

You jump down, landing with a soft thud. “What are you doing to Stinko?” you demand. You lunge through the crowd of rats.

Instantly, dozens of hands and claws clutch you.

You’re caught!

quote:

The larger of the two giant rats peers at you. “Stand back,” the huge rodent commands. “We are simply correcting a terrible mistake.”

You don’t believe it. Not only are you being addressed by a monster-sized rat – but it actually speaks English!

“Let me explain. Once we were all ordinary lab rats,” the rat continues. “Subjects in an experiment. A scientist injected us with human genes. We now have greater strength, size, and intelligence. But something went horribly wrong. Now we are trapped between being humans and being rats.”

Then, right before your eyes, the other giant rat starts... changing.

You watch in horror as its face twists.

Bulges.

Changes color.

Collapses.

And then reshapes itself – into a new face.

A face you recognize.

Your mouth drops open.

“Zoe!” you gasp.

quote:

“Zoe!” you repeat as the mutant rat-girl completes her transformation. “What –? How –? But –“

“I’m one of them,” she explains. “I was sent among the humans to bring you and Stinko here. You will help us fix the laboratory mistake.”

“We will?” Your voice trembles.

What could these horrible creatures want with you and your little brother?

Before you can ask, Zoe shrieks in agony.

quote:

Zoe’s face writhes and contorts. Then she’s a rat again.

“You see the problem?” she cries. “We can’t stop switching. We need help. We developed Switch Cheese as a cure. But it doesn’t work right.”

“I don’t know anything about making cheese,” you protest. “And Stinko doesn’t know anything about anything!”

“I heard that!” Stinko complains from the table.

“It’s your makeup,” Zoe explains.

“Makeup! I don’t wear makeup!” You scoff. “And if Stinko wears makeup, it’s news to me!”

“Your genetic makeup,” Zoe corrects you. “You two have the right genes to become rats. With a little scrambling.”

You shake your head. “I’d believe that about Stinko, but in my case you’ve got the wrong kid.”

“I heard that too!” Stinko whines.

“You’re the right kids. We’re sure.” Zoe approaches you. “All you and Stinko have to do is eat a little Switch Cheese. A few nibbles – and we’ll have the results we need.”

You’re almost afraid to ask. But you have to. “And what might those results be?”

Zoe smiles. “You and Stinko will become rats.”

quote:

“Rats!” you scream. “You want to turn us into rats?”

You struggle against the hands and claws that hold you.

“Don’t let them!” Stinko wails.

“It will only be temporary,” a creature with rat teeth, rat ears, and human eyes offers, tightening its grip on you.

“Being a rat isn’t so bad,” adds another mutant. “It’s being half rat, half human that stinks.”

“You only need to be rats long enough for us to collect some of your saliva,” Zoe explains. “That’s the missing ingredient in our secret formula. You must help us. You must!”

You gaze around. Some of the rat people are switching back and forth between rat and human as fast as you switch your Game Boy on and off. With each change, they squeal in agony.

They must be miserable, you think.

“We’ll switch you back,” Zoe promises. “Trust us!”

The last time you trusted a bunch of rats, you ended up trapped in a tomb! Should you trust this group of half rats and eat the cheese?

Or does something tell you they don’t call them rats for nothing?

If you and Stinko eat the cheese, go to PAGE 60.

If you refuse, go to PAGE 93.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 2/3

Bad Endings
Forcibly turned into a rat-person and enlisted into their army.
Dodged off a rope bridge and into a bottomless pit.
Eaten by a Beast after failing a quiz question.
Coated in plastic and turned into a ball pit ball.
Shredded to death by the Kid Grater.
Left dangling from a parachute in an empty, bottomless void.
Fell off the Edge of Nowhere into a bottomless pit.
Drowned in quicksand after rolling an odd number.
Left as an ice statue by our fed-up younger brother.
Buried alive in a flood of angry rats.
Picked the green ball and got turned into a frog.
Picked the red ball and got turned into a vampire.
Reduced to a disembodied head by a poorly-worded agreement.
Had a mental breakdown after learning we'd be stuck with Dare for another week.
Failed the most dangerous game and had to restart the games from the beginning.

Achievements
Calling a Mulligan: Failed one of Dare's games so badly he decided to reset time and let us try again.
Best Two Out of Three: Lost one of Dare's games, but got to keep playing anyway for unclear reasons.
Get Your Head in the Game: Clocked ourselves with a shrunken head right before Dare's last game and got booted back to the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah sure, mad science, this totally didn't screw us in another timeline. Eat the Cheese

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's help these guys!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Eat it.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

EAT THE CHEESE

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Even in a life or death situation, we can't stop dunking on our little brother.

Eat the cheese

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Consume cheddar.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Im lactose intolerant

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You swallow hard. “Okay, we’ll do it,” you announce.

You can’t help feeling sorry for the rat-people. After all, you think, humans got them into this mess. You feel as if it’s your duty as a human to get them out of it.

If you can...

“Come on, Stinko,” you say, undoing the straps that hold your little brother down on the table. “We’re going to help them get back to their normal forms.”

“You mean we have to eat that cheese?” Stinko whines. “But it stinks!”

“Think of it as medicine,” Zoe suggests. She holds out the cheese. “One little bite each. That’s all it takes.”

“Well, here goes,” you say. You hope you sound braver than you feel. You close your eyes, hold your nose, and take a bite.

Stinko follows your lead.

Instantly the two of you start changing. Fur covers your bodies. Claws replace your hands and feet. Whiskers sprout around your newly pointy noses. You and Stinko plop down to all fours.

You don’t believe it, but it’s true.

You and Stinko are rats!

quote:

You wriggle your new rat body. You flick your long, thin tail.

Yup, you’re a rat all right.

You just hope the rat-people know how to change you back! Maybe you should have double-checked before you agreed to switch.

“At last!” Zoe cries. “Now we’ll be able to get back to being regular rats. We’ll just mix their saliva into the Switch Cheese, and the formula will be complete!”

A rat-person bends down next to you and holds a cup in front of your mouth. You twitch your pointy nose and spit into the cup. You and Stinko take turns spitting until the cup is filled.

The rat leader takes the cup. He nods his giant head. “This will do. You have served your purpose.” He rushes away with the cup. Dozens of rat-people scurry after him.

“Hey, wait a sec –“ you call after the departing rats.

“He didn’t say thank you,” Stinko complains.

But you aren’t thinking about the rat leader’s bad manners.

Here’s what you really want to know:

Will the rats keep their promise? Will they switch you back to your human forms?

Because you sure would like your body back now!

quote:

Zoe must have guessed what you’re thinking. “Don’t worry,” she assures you. “All you have to do to return to normal is eat a little more Switch Cheese.”

Zoe holds the Switch Cheese in front of you and Stinko. You each gobble up the cheese. Instantly the change takes place.

You wiggle your human fingers. Whew. That’s a relief!

“That was fun!” Stinko cries. “Let’s do it again!”

The rat leader returns, hovering in the doorway. “The new formula is complete!” he announces.

“Yay!” Zoe cheers.

The remaining rat-people in the lab race through the doorway. The door shuts with a loud bang.

“Wait!” you call after them. “You forgot to tell us how to get home!”

No answer.

The mutants are gone.

You flop down on a table. “Great!” you groan. “We help them – and they leave us here with no way to get back home!”

quote:

“Why don’t we go back the same way we got here?” Stinko suggests. He reaches under a lab table, then holds up Zoe’s large shoulder bag.

“Hey, Stinko,” you say. “You’re not as dumb as you look.” You grab the bag and open it.

There it is. The DiskGo-Tech.

You yank up the loop in the center of the disk. It pops up to a dome. You press on all the edges. A door slides open.

“Wow!” Stinko shouts. “You did it!”

“Don’t I keep telling you I’m a genius?” you joke. “Now hurry. Get inside.” You have a creepy feeling that if you don’t leave right away, some other mutants may show up and try to use you for some other weird experiments.

You crawl after Stinko into the DiskGo-Tech dome.

“Make it go!” Stinko urges.

“I will, I will!”

But how?

quote:

You glance around.

No controls.

Luckily, before you panic, an engine rumbles. A vibration shakes the dome.

It must start automatically. Lucky for you!

The dome spins and twirls. You clutch your stomach. Soon it lands with a soft thump. The door slides open.

You’re home!

“Well, there you are!” Your mother stands in the front door. “Did the baby-sitter leave already? Did you like her?”

Huh? What are your parents doing here?

Are they back from their trip already?

Does this mean you’ve been in the Fun Zone for two days?

Whoa...

“Mom,” Stinko cries, “that baby-sitter was a real rat.”

“Now, now,” your mother scolds Stinko. “If you don’t have anything nice to say...”

“Don’t say anything at all,” you finish with a wink at Stinko.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 3/3:siren:

Bad Endings
Forcibly turned into a rat-person and enlisted into their army.
Dodged off a rope bridge and into a bottomless pit.
Eaten by a Beast after failing a quiz question.
Coated in plastic and turned into a ball pit ball.
Shredded to death by the Kid Grater.
Left dangling from a parachute in an empty, bottomless void.
Fell off the Edge of Nowhere into a bottomless pit.
Drowned in quicksand after rolling an odd number.
Left as an ice statue by our fed-up younger brother.
Buried alive in a flood of angry rats.
Picked the green ball and got turned into a frog.
Picked the red ball and got turned into a vampire.
Reduced to a disembodied head by a poorly-worded agreement.
Had a mental breakdown after learning we'd be stuck with Dare for another week.
Failed the most dangerous game and had to restart the games from the beginning.

Achievements
Calling a Mulligan: Failed one of Dare's games so badly he decided to reset time and let us try again.
Best Two Out of Three: Lost one of Dare's games, but got to keep playing anyway for unclear reasons.
Get Your Head in the Game: Clocked ourselves with a shrunken head right before Dare's last game and got booted back to the start.

And with that, we've escaped KidScare once and for all! Next time, we go to summer camp!

...Wait, no, come back! It's not WoodsWorld this time!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:toot:

Feels like we've been in that book a while.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:toot:

Feels like we've been in that book a while.

Since February apparently.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Moral of the story - always be nice to rats. They're soft and cuddly and just want to be loved and also not be stuck as inbetweened animorph things

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

clockwork chaos posted:

Moral of the story - always be nice to rats. They're soft and cuddly and just want to be loved and also not be stuck as inbetweened animorph things

:hai:

IMO this was the best-written book we've seen in this thread. Continuity, character arcs, words, it had it all!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I kind of hated it. The Dare path seemed like it was just a sequence of random things happening. Looking forward to the next one!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, wasn't too crazy about this one either. Best ones to me so far were Mad Mummy and Don't Feed the Vampire.

Screaming Knight was definitely the worst though. At least Werewolf Woods was laughably bad.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

Since February apparently.

In my defense, I was out for a week or two due to pneumonia, so that delayed things a little. Anyway, moving on!

GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS #19: ESCAPE FROM CAMP RUN-FOR-YOUR-LIFE

quote:

“All right!” you say to yourself.

Ten minutes ago, it looked as if you were facing another boring day at home. All the kids in your neighborhood are away at summer camp. All but you. Your parents decided to take you on a family vacation instead. To your grandparents’ farm.

Boring!

But your mom and dad just got an urgent call to join a dig for dinosaur bones in Mongolia. They’re leaving in the morning.

“We’ll be away for a month,” your mom says. “Sorry, sweetie, but we’ll have to send you to Camp Pendleton after all.”

“I guess I’ll live,” you reply, hiding your grin.

Pendleton is a sports camp. You love sports! You’ve wanted to go to Camp Pendleton ever since your uncle Ed told you about it. It’s got the latest equipment and the best coaches.

You quickly call Uncle Ed with the good news. He promises to take care of all the arrangements. He’ll even drive you there!

The next morning, Uncle Ed arrives. Your parents are rushing around, getting ready to leave. They kiss you good-bye and remind you to be careful.

“Don’t worry about me,” you reply. “What could go wrong?”

quote:

“I’m psyched!” you announce as you slide into Uncle Ed’s station wagon.

“You’re going to have a great time!” Uncle Ed declares.

Your uncle usually doesn’t talk much about himself. You aren’t even sure what he does for a living. But you do know he likes sports. That’s what you talk about on the way to Camp Pendleton.

Only it’s taking forever to get there. It’s out in the boondocks. All the roads here look the same.

You stop for a snack. Uncle Ed makes a quick phone call. When he starts the car again, he pulls out onto the road – going in the wrong direction!

“Uncle Ed,” you say, “I think you’re going the wrong way.”

“Nah,” Uncle Ed says. “I’ve got a great sense of direction.”

You spot an old man in front of a lone house in the woods.

“Pull over, Uncle Ed,” you urge. “Let’s ask.”

“Sports camp?” The old man frowns. “There’s a camp about a mile away.” He gives Uncle Ed instructions to get there. “If you pass the gas station, you’ll know you’ve gone too far.”

“See, I told you I knew where I was going,” Uncle Ed says.

quote:

A minute later, Uncle Ed turns down a dirt road. He pulls up to a military-looking gatehouse. A big sign says WELCOME TO CAMP RUNNING LEAF.

Huh?

“Where’s Camp Pendleton?” you cry.

Uncle Ed only shrugs. He doesn’t seem very upset.

A beefy guy with a crew cut, a white shirt, and a whistle around his neck approaches your car.

“I’m Coach Rex,” he says. “Are you a new camper?”

“No, I’m looking for Camp Pendleton,” you answer.

Coach Rex clears his throat. “Uh – this was Camp Pendleton. A new owner just took over and changed the name to Running Leaf.”

So everything is okay. Right?

You say good-bye to Uncle Ed. He shakes hands with Coach Rex. “Work this youngster hard,” he orders.

“Oh, I’m a slave driver,” Coach Rex answers with a chuckle.

Coach Rex and Uncle Ed laugh like two old friends.

quote:

Coach Rex leads you to a cabin. He points out an empty bunk, and you drop your stuff on it.

“Think you’re a hotshot athlete?” he shouts.

Surprised, you stutter, “No, um, I-I just like sports.”

Coach Rex barks, “We don’t put up with wimps here.” He gives you the once-over. “You don’t look very strong.”

You thought you were in pretty decent shape. But...

“Let’s arm wrestle,” Coach Rex demands.

What’s his problem? He seemed so friendly a minute ago.

You sit at opposite sides of a table. Coach Rex pins your arm in an instant. He looks disappointed. “Kid, you don’t have what it takes,” he announces. “But you will... and soon.”

It sounds more like a threat than a promise.

Suddenly, Coach Rex brightens. “The first thing for you to do is to choose one of two events to take part in.”

One event is an overnight hike and fossil-hunt in the woods around the camp. You love camping out. Sounds cool!

The other event is called the “Selection.” It’s a series of athletic events. The winner gets a special prize.

So which are you going to choose?

If you pick the hike, turn to PAGE 78.

If you pick the Selection, turn to PAGE 125.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I volunteer for selection!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

drat, our parents are cool in this one.

Let's follow in their footsteps and look for fossils!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Let's take a hike!

Maybe all the werewolves that weren't in Werewolf Woods are out there.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Take a hike!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's go with Selection, a name with no sinister connotations whatsoever, especially in the context of a camp.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Selection

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Let's go with Selection, a name with no sinister connotations whatsoever, especially in the context of a camp.

:yeah:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sure, we'll sign up to be in a bad YA novel series!

quote:

“I’ll do the Selection,” you tell Coach Rex.

Coach Rex smiles. “Good. Maybe you’ll go far after all. And I mean far.” He starts chuckling, as if he’s made a big joke.

You laugh politely.

Now the coach gets serious. “The Selection is tough. If you’re going to win,” he says, “you need strength. And that means a big breakfast. Come on down to the chow hall.”

The coach takes you to a big cafeteria, where the other kids are eating breakfast.

Everyone stares at you when you walk in. Then they go back to their breakfasts. Each kid has a big pile of eggs. They quietly scarf down their food. No one’s talking much.

You notice a mountain bike in a glass case on the wall. It’s top of the line. And it’s brand-new. Sunlight gleams on its blue carbon-fiber frame.

That must be the special prize for winning the Selection, you think.

Cool! Now you really want to win!

quote:

You get your pile of eggs, topped by toast. As you search for an empty seat, you see someone you know from home.

“Hey, Pat!” you exclaim.

You sit down next to a thin, fast-talking kid. He lives a few blocks from you. You’re glad to see a familiar face.

“Hi,” Pat answers. “I just got here a couple of days ago. Most of the kids have already been here a few weeks.”

He hasn’t touched his eggs. He tells you, “I’m not hungry.”

You notice he looks kind of sick. He’s pale. And his eyes have dark circles under them.

“Well, I’m starved,” you announce.

You plunge your fork into your eggs and lift it up to your mouth.

Your hand suddenly freezes.

Whoa!

The egg yolks are blue.

quote:

Your mouth snaps shut.

“What’s with the blue eggs?” you demand.

Just then a voice comes over the loudspeaker. “It’s Coach Rex. “Eat up, campers! The Selection is coming, and your eggs are packed with the protein you need.”

You ask Pat, “Are you going to eat your eggs?”

He shakes his head. “No way.” He picks up a piece of toast and nibbles on it.

You eye your eggs. You don’t normally eat blue food – except blue M&M’s, of course. Who doesn’t eat blue M&Ms?

But you don’t want to act different from everyone else. Especially on your first day.

Blue eggs. Should you eat them? Or get rid of them?

Or – use them to start a food fight?

If you eat the eggs, turn to PAGE 64.

If you hide them in your napkin, turn to PAGE 94.

If you throw them at the kid across the table from you, turn to PAGE 39.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I do not like blue eggs and ham

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

FOOD FIGHT

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

smash mouf eat the eggs

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Eat up! Get big and strong!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Eat the eggs. Eating weidly colored food always gives good results in these books.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

smash mouf eat the eggs

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Black Robe posted:

I do not like blue eggs and ham

I do not like them, Stein-I-Might-Be

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I read this one in an airport bookshop as a little kid. I remember it being...pretty creepy?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Octatonic posted:

FOOD FIGHT

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

By overwhelming popular demand, let's eat some blue eggs!

quote:

You bring the fork to your mouth. Your lips close around the eggs.

WAIT A MINUTE!

Let’s review the facts:

A. This is a GOOSEBUMPS book.

B. Those eggs are blue.

Now get serious. You should know better.

NEVER EAT BLUE EGGS IN A GOOSEBUMPS BOOK!

Okay, if this is your first GOOSEBUMPS book, it’s an honest mistake. But the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Or not. In case it wasn't clear, this kicks us back to page 10 to pick one of the other, less obviously bad options.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Hide the blue eggs in your napkin.
  • Start a food fight with the blue eggs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The book is making fun of us again. :(

Octatonic posted:

FOOD FIGHT

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, sure, let's Food Fight

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I DEMAND WE EAT THE drat EGGS! How dare the book blue-egg us like that, without even giving a good reason why doing so is a bad thing!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eat eggs, bitch-rear end across from me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Railroading this early in the book does not bode well for its quality.

Oh well.

FOOOOOOOOD FIIIIIIIIGHT!

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Eat eggs, bitch-rear end across from me

Eat rear end, bitch-eggs across from me