Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fire Storm posted:

I mean, the Normandy is the ultimate stealth ship, maybe Harbie didn't actually see it?

I mean he turns to look at it as it leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

The Reaper IFF they got in 2 makes them invisible to the Reapers unless the start giving off other signals that are blatantly not Reaper.

It's the in-universe reason why they don't come after you on the galaxy map unless you start scanning.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You can't see it in the cutscenes, but the Normandy was actually wearing a wig and a fake beard.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

The best part is it's just going to get dumber.

I went digging and found the original ME3 thread. It's really entertaining watching people be all excited and then a day or two later the "what the gently caress" posts start dribbling in. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470696#post401266824

And the spoiler thread, which was pretty much all "what the gently caress" posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471712#post401431850

Now the game released in March and the EC didn't drop until late June, so there were 4 months for people to completely lose their poo poo. Every thought you might have about a problem with the ending, well, it got brought up. Repeatedly. And cross-referenced and nitpicked and hollered about. For anyone who doesn't know what's coming, I kind of envy you. You're going to get a deeply flawed ending with plot holes Harbinger can waddle through. You're going to scratch your head and go, "But wait, in the previous games-" and we'll all nod along and say you're right because you are. I just want you to remember that we're playing the EC which (allegedly) fixed a bunch of things. It didn't actually change the endings, just gave an explanation as to the aftermath so it didn't fix anything at all. The ending is still stupid, but keep in mind it went from explosion to a jungle planet to the credits and then THANKS FOR PLAYING BUY DLC.

The BioWare forums, which is dead, was also really... divisive following the ending

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

The BioWare forums, which is dead, was also really... divisive following the ending

god, people were so pissed about it

The ME3 endings drove a lot of people completely up the wall and looking back they're almost like a gamergate dress rehearsal

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
To be honest, I´m not sure what Bioware expected when you decide to cap off a trilogy with that kind of ending(s). There´s a lot to discuss after the LP but I can totally buy into the report that Casey Hudson apparently locked himself up with some of the writers in a room, writing the ending while huffing each others farts* in the last possible minute.

*Instances of huffing collegial farts may or may not have happended.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It was just him and Mac Walters in that room, as I recall. None of the other writers had any input on the ending. They weren't even allowed to give feedback.

And yeah, for them to go from "You make your own story, we just give you a world and the tools to experience that story" to "If you don't like the story we wrote, you're impugning upon our artistic integrity" over the course of 1.5 out of 3 games is just flabbergasting. To go from excited about making a world where thousands of stories could be told, to excited about destroying any possibility of telling more stories in that world - well, it's about as damning a statement on :bioware: as I can imagine. How far they have fallen.

Casey Hudson was the real reaper, and Mac Winters was his Kei Lang.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ashpanash posted:

And yeah, for them to go from "You make your own story, we just give you a world and the tools to experience that story" to "If you don't like the story we wrote, you're impugning upon our artistic integrity" over the course of 1.5 out of 3 games is just flabbergasting. To go from excited about making a world where thousands of stories could be told, to excited about destroying any possibility of telling more stories in that world - well, it's about as damning a statement on :bioware: as I can imagine. How far they have fallen.

I've made this point before elsewhere but this is why I don't blame EA specifically for what happened with ME3, because if you're an EA exec looking to keep people coming back to Mass Effect spinoffs for a decade this would be like the worst possible way to do it

in an alternate timeline where ME3 has a pretty standard "congratulations Shepard, you destroyed the Reapers, here is what the galaxy looks like based on Your Choices" ending, Mass Effect is probably a much larger cultural thing. There was a point where it was being talked about as the next Star Wars and even an ending that just barely stuck the landing probably leads to a much different ME4, a spinoff or two into different game genres, and maybe an actual ME film.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Seriously, even if the ending was going to wind up being the cliched one that they seemed to be signaling to in ME2 (“turns out the Mass Effect technology is actually killing the galaxy, the Reapers were just trying to keep civilizations from crossing the event horizon that we’re rapidly approaching”), that would still have had a better chance of at least going okay, instead of... What we’re about to get.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

considering how large of an audience the series has/had, I think it would have been nice for them to attempt a climate-change plot, especially with how climate-change is being discussed these days.

Sure it may have been as goofy and cliche as most of bioware's other stories but it would have been SOMETHING and it would have been a good way to bring attention to a problem that is real

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Just don't destroy the world you built. That's all.

Make the story as dumb as you want to, make it absurd or disappointing, fine. But don't destroy the world forever. That's it. That's all they had to do. But no, they jealously said "MINE!" and killed it.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Aces High posted:

considering how large of an audience the series has/had, I think it would have been nice for them to attempt a climate-change plot, especially with how climate-change is being discussed these days.

Sure it may have been as goofy and cliche as most of bioware's other stories but it would have been SOMETHING and it would have been a good way to bring attention to a problem that is real
No, the original plot WAS a climate change plot but they changed it because people guessed it right away!

(The whole dark matter making stars burn faster or whatever)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

that's what I mean, they should've stuck with that one

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

that's what I mean, they should've stuck with that one
No that one was stupid as well; the Reapers invented the mass relays and then set them up so everyone would use them. Which rather defeats the purpose if that's what's destroying the universe :downs:

From a pure writing standpoint they painted themselves into a corner. You see a real difference between DA and ME - DA2 aside they know where they're going with it. The overarching plot is already decided on and every new game furthers that. With ME they made a game that turned out to be a hit and then had to pull everything that followed out of their asses. As much as we love ME2 it doesn't do anything as far as the story goes and the complaints about how it does fuckall for plot progression are spot on. It's a jerkoff of "wouldn't this be cool?" and it is, but it's an aside. The dark matter stuff is crappy writing because it contradicted their own canon laid out by Sovereign in the first game. So you destroy civilizations because they get too advanced and by using mass effect fields are screwing things up? That poo poo you invented? Everything fell apart when they started trying to explain why Reapers gon' reap. If dark matter created by mass relays screws things up, instead of murdering everyone how about stopping by and saying "these things are useful sure, but there are consequences. How about we all work together to figure this out?" Maybe one of those destroyed civilizations would have come up with a solution in 60 thousand years but oops, you killed them. The terribly inept Quarians figured out something was going on. And while Leviathan is a decent DLC they went and contradicted their own canon again by attributing the creation of the Reapers not to solve a problem with dark energy, but because the race that created them were angry their toys kept getting taken away.

There are some great story lines in ME, but the overall writing is really, really awful when you take it apart. It's just poo poo thrown at a wall and keeping random bits that stuck. Like nobody involved ever took a freshman-level creative writing course.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best thing they could've done is said 'Oh look the Reapers are defeated and stranded in dark space because you beat Sovereign, maybe they'll be a threat in the future when we need another sequel 4-6 games down the line' and then just gotten on to making 2 and 3 about other problems.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kurieg posted:

Well, the original ending you could tell was rushed for time and incomplete. I looked at it and could go "Well at least it's an ending, i'm not happy with it but I'm sure if they had time they'd fix the issues."
And then they took time.
And didn't fix the issues.
And introduced new ones like the whole deal with Normandy abandoning the battle lines to save your Waifu while Harbinger just kind of glares at you so that a cutscene later makes sense.

the key here is the EC was also almost certainly rushed and incomplete, so like I said, I judge them similarly. Trust me, i get your point - I just don't think EC harms the whole ending situation despite agreeing that it's kind of ... uh, questionable? Let's go with questionable, about the Normandy arriving like that.

Citadel is a lot more plausible as "okay let's take the time to get it right, the DLC" to me.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 17, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SubponticatePoster posted:

With ME they made a game that turned out to be a hit and then had to pull everything that followed out of their asses.
ME1 wouldn't even have been that difficult to follow up on. Like Shamus Young also mentioned in his retrospective, there was a perfectly fine setup there for a sequel about trying to find a way to stop the Reapers. You've got Shepard who isn't a hero and bloody icon because she can shoot mans real good, but is perfectly equipped for this particular quest for knowledge because as a Spectre she can go anywhere and is able to interact with Prothean technology thanks to the beacon on Eden Prime. You have the best stealth ship in the galaxy and a solid team with many areas of expertise, including Liara as the expert on all things Prothean. So why not continue where we left off in ME1 and go on a galaxy-spanning adventure to find some way to keep the Reapers stuck in dark space forever? Like Shepard said she would do at the end of ME1?

But no, let's kill and immediately resurrect Shepard, blow everything up and gently caress around with Cerberus and a bunch of bugmen in the Terminus Systems because humans have gone missing. :eng99:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 17, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FoolyCharged posted:

In all honesty, shep stopping the giant, all in raid for the future of the universe to evac the squad, complete with pausing for tearful goodbyes opens way more plot holes than ambiguous "they didn't make it" and died or got injured.

All sentient life in the galaxy is depending on Shepherd getting to the beam., instead she stops to have her ship come down from space to evac her friends.

That's not heroic, that's stupidity.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Psion posted:

the key here is the EC was also almost certainly rushed and incomplete, so like I said, I judge them similarly. Trust me, i get your point - I just don't think EC harms the whole ending situation despite agreeing that it's kind of ... uh, questionable? Let's go with questionable, about the Normandy arriving like that.

Citadel is a lot more plausible as "okay let's take the time to get it right, the DLC" to me.
They could’ve done the obvious thing and made it so if your war score was high enough getting a “perfect” ending where Shep survives and gets to live happily ever after was a thing. But Walters and Hudson were too far up their own asses and convinced their awful lovely writing was ART that pride made it impossible. It’s possible to make good art that’s controversial. A lot of the best art is. But if 99% of the universe says it sucks and can point to solid, concrete evidence as to why, then it’s you that hosed up and chances are good it’s not as perfect as you think.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Shamus and Subponicate both brought it up, but a huge part of the problem is that ME3 tries to do a lot of the things that are normally relegated to the middle part of a trilogy - because ME2 basically doesn't advance the main story/theme of the series at all. As much as the character centric stuff in that game is wonderful, the main plot of ME2 is basically a side story. And the shame of it is that it wouldn't have taken a ton of effort to bridge all of the games together, but Bioware just didn't really bother even with the resources they had.

In retrospect, i've come to kinda wish ME2 was about the Leviathans more than anything else. It's really annoying that you meet the creators of the Reapers in what's essentially locked away in a DLC - it really deserved its own game, I think. It also helps that the missions that were a part of that DLC feel a lot more like Mass Effect 1 than anything else. So a game that's based around unraveling the mysteries of the Leviathans and the Reapers probably would've been more optimal then what ended up happening, especially since, if it'd been done well, it could've tied into a prospective 3rd story much better and you wouldn't have had to gently caress around with the idiocy of Shepard dying and then you having to work for an evil cartoon organization for a whole game.

Or something. I dunno. Replaying the trilogy a couple times myself sort of made me realize that, for all of ME1's faults, I kinda miss the patient, careful worldbuilding and sense of exploration that game cultivated, even if the execution of those things was hit or miss at times.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Durandal1707 posted:

Or something. I dunno. Replaying the trilogy a couple times myself sort of made me realize that, for all of ME1's faults, I kinda miss the patient, careful worldbuilding and sense of exploration that game cultivated, even if the execution of those things was hit or miss at times.

Mass Effect 1 is the game I've completed the most out of all four.

I found 2 so tedious to play I ended up only carrying over 2 of my characters from my ME1 playthroughs.

For reference:

1-6 times
2-2 times
3-3.5 times (game glitched and reset the counter for kills trophy)
Andromeda- 3 times

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Even if you didn't mind the standard endings, the Extended Cut came out and made everything worse somehow. It explained some things that people had questions about, but also opened up way more questions.

It's ironic that the ending that's most in line with ME1 and 2 is the one that this game punishes you for.

Yeah. "We need to destroy the Reapers so that races can establish their own destiny!" was the most logical progression but instead you got in trouble for 'How dare you not forcibly institute a transhuman utopia.'

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. "We need to destroy the Reapers so that races can establish their own destiny!" was the most logical progression but instead you got in trouble for 'How dare you not forcibly institute a transhuman utopia.'

Synthesis is especially gross because it's *the Reapers allowing you to live because you're finally homogeneous enough to ensure zero conflict*

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Pattonesque posted:

Synthesis is especially gross because it's *the Reapers allowing you to live because you're finally homogeneous enough to ensure zero conflict*

"Oh hey, you're enough percentage of my perfect immortal race that I don't feel like genociding you now!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Bold Kobold posted:

"Oh hey, you're enough percentage of my perfect immortal race that I don't feel like genociding you now!"

“Also even though any individual Reaper has a body count in the trillions, we’re just going to stick around and hang out with you now that you’re no longer genetically impure. That’s what you wanted, right? To live in peace with ‘The Reapers’? BTW this is the best ending”

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

gently caress it, I doubt I’m ever gonna pick Andromeda back up again after only putting a few hours into it back when it launched: Did any of ME3’s endings get canonized by it?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Nope!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

“Also even though any individual Reaper has a body count in the trillions, we’re just going to stick around and hang out with you now that you’re no longer genetically impure. That’s what you wanted, right? To live in peace with ‘The Reapers’? BTW this is the best ending”

Not to mention, wasn't this Saren's whole plan? The antagonist from the first game was right the whole time, and you made him kill himself for it.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Regalingualius posted:

gently caress it, I doubt I’m ever gonna pick Andromeda back up again after only putting a few hours into it back when it launched: Did any of ME3’s endings get canonized by it?
I think Andromeda launched while Shepard was dead for a year for tax reasons.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

The entire point of ME:A being set in the Andromeda galaxy was so that Bioware wouldn't have to account for ME3 at all. Seriously. The original plan was to do a Mass Effect prequel series based on the First Contact War but fans didn't want that, so they had to find a setting that wasn't affected by ME3's endings.

Bioware wanted an ending for the trilogy that would be so large and all-encompassing that it basically locked the Milky Way galaxy, and that's what they got.

Frankly they should've made the canon ending one where the Reapers win. That way we could've gotten a new Mass Effect trilogy with the Yahg as the dominant species. I think we can all agree that that would've been awesome.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 19, 2019

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

No you see, carbon and silicon just can't ever get along, despite the three game long subplot you came here after resolving and also the pilot making out with his ship probably right now. Just can't be done.

They really should have kept the space global warming plot.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Octatonic posted:

No you see, carbon and silicon just can't ever get along, despite the three game long subplot you came here after resolving and also the pilot making out with his ship probably right now. Just can't be done.

They really should have kept the space global warming plot.
WAIT. I GOT IT. Joker and EDI are the new Adam and Eve! The reapers are trying to kill them because CARBON AND SILICON CANNOT GET ALONG drat IT, and Shepard needs to keep them alive!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fire Storm posted:

WAIT. I GOT IT. Joker and EDI are the new Adam and Eve! The reapers are trying to kill them because CARBON AND SILICON CANNOT GET ALONG drat IT, and Shepard needs to keep them alive!

"EDI, why do you have a functional womb?"
"The Illusive man..."
"Nope. Nope. I don't need to know any more."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fire Storm posted:

See this is why you choose Destroy

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Kurieg posted:

"EDI, why do you have a functional womb?"
"The Illusive man..."
"Nope. Nope. I don't need to know any more."

SHEPARD COMMANDER. THIS UNIT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND PROGRAMMED WITH MANY TECHNIQUES.

And Mordin did something to make Legion biologically functional?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Fire Storm posted:

SHEPARD COMMANDER. THIS UNIT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND PROGRAMMED WITH MANY TECHNIQUES.

And Mordin did something to make Legion biologically functional?

I want you to know that this reference is very much appreciated.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Kissing our Butts goodbye

Well, we did it. We made it to the end of the trilogy, at least as far as official canon goes.

We wake up an indeterminate time after taking Harbinger's laser to the face and manage to v e r y s l o w l y stagger our way to the beam. Onboard the Citadel it's a chunky salsa of corpses. Anderson also made it up and we separately make it to the control panel where we can open the arms. But then TIM shows up looking rather :stonk: and somehow now has the power to indoctrinate us so we shoot Anderson. Then it's a repeat of the final standoff with Saren. If you didn't take all those side options at every point in the game then you have to fight him. But we did and so he blows his reaperized head off. Then we pres butan and wait. The scene between Shep and Anderson is very good. If you're a ManShep then he tells you that you would have been a good father. Then Anderson takes a little nap and we try to as well but get rudely interrupted by Hackett. The macguffin isn't working right. Then we pass out and take an elevator to The Ends Are Bad.

As if I didn't have reason enough to hate that loving kid he's now the avatar of the AI for the Reapers. The Catalyst takes the form of a child and acts like one. This might've had some emotional impact if they had your squadmate that died on Virmire instead but we get a kid we saw for 10 seconds before getting blown up. Starkid is a terrible hamfisted attempt to make an emotional connection and we've been forced to suffer his presence since the first dream sequence. We're given the choice to destroy, control, or make soup. Synthesis is so gross and un-thought out that other than doing it once to see what happened I never choose it. We came to the Citadel to chew bubblegum and kick rear end and being out of gum we take the latter option. Bye bye Starkid you insufferable little gently caress. Then there's a big ol' explosion and cosmic farts kill everything Reaper and if we were to take SK's word for it, everything with a microchip in it. Which clearly isn't the case. Joker apparently got drunk and crash landed on some planet with two moons. How this is related to anything I have no loving idea. Why? Did every other ship in that fleet also crash land? Where did they go? :speculate: And at the end because we had a good war score we get to see Shep ain't dead after all, though being stranded in zero atmo under several tons of debris would probably do the trick eventually. ROLL CREDITS. The little cutscene at the end would be cuter if it wasn't voiced by that same loving kid, and they didn't just rescale an adult model for him. Like, look at how goddamn tiny his head is. I guess in the far future microcephaly is a constant threat. It was cool of them to get Buzz Aldrin, though you can tell he isn't a VA. Also the end splash changed, originally it was "Thanks for playing to the end, go buy DLC!" which didn't really soothe any ruffled feathers after the last 20 minutes of poo poo you were forced to endure.

If you didn't play ME3 when it was released it's kind of hard to understand how much poo poo got flung regarding the ending(s). I mean, it sucks. 2 dudes locked themselves in a room and pooped out an ending. There are a couple of good parts but otherwise it's total garbage. Whatever you spent 3 games doing doesn't matter in the loving slightest. I mentioned in the OP that a week before the game was released, Casey Hudson had the balls to say in an interview that it wasn't just going to be one of a couple possible endings but that all your choices made over the course of the series would make your ending special and unique. Yeah, no. You get RGB choices. Destroy probably makes the most sense, though intellectually (if such a term can be used in this case) I find Control the most intriguing. Pre-EC it didn't make a loving difference, really, as you got the colored cutscene and then it went to credits. That was it. The EC added the voiceovers and does at least reflect some of your decisions. It will show things like if you cured the genophage or not, the Quarian/Geth situation, basically the galaxy as you left it. Control is narrated by Shepard, and depending on whether you were a paragon or renegade the flavor changes. A good Shep talks about rebuilding and watching over people, a renegade basically becomes cuttlefish Hitler. Synthesis, the idiot fucker ending originally ended with Joker's hat being sentient. Now EDI gives the recap and gets Pinocchio'd.

Entire encyclopedias have been written about the endings and why they're lovely. Starkid tries to talk you out of Destroy by telling you all your robit friends will die, but then in the same breath goes on to say that nothing will be lost and everything can be fixed. EDI appears on the deathboard because originally she would get out of the ship with Joker even if you picked Destroy. Also like petulant children, Walters and Hudson made it so if you wait too long to do anything (the "I won't choose the poo poo you're offering" dialogue option) you get a game over. You also get a game over (well everyone dies, same thing) if you shoot Starkid which is what most people wanted to do after the first playthrough. The EC also caused some stupidity like the Normandy landing in front of Harbie to pick up your teammates. Now hardcore BW fans are all nuts and Hudson and Walters got death threats, which is absolutely loving bonkers. Hudson actually quit after the fiasco and went to work for (I think) Respawn. But he's back now and notably staying under the radar. Walters kept trucking along and got dragged into working on Andromeda after it became a disaster, but he's also kept a low profile. If maybe they'd ran their ideas past other people, if maybe they weren't so up their own asses, we might've gotten an ending that was if not happy, at least satisfying. Instead we all got to gurgle down a fecal smoothie tinted with primary colors. I actually kind of had to gird my loins to do this episode, as it's really hard to do anything other than devolve into yelling different variations of gently caress YOU EAT poo poo. I kind of did this anyway.

Now, we're not quite done. We still have the Citadel DLC to do which is how Shepard's story really ends.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The whole ending stretch of ME3 and especially everything after the beam is the most obviously rushed bullshit I have seen in a game since the Malachor V section in Knights of the Old Republic II. Nothing makes any sense, and it's painfully clear the team was just scrambling to get something out of the door. BioWare Magic(tm), everybody!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the most galling part of all this is you're just supposed to accept everything the little poo poo (who is, by his own admission, the avatar of your enemies) says as inevitable and true.

I'm always astonished they even felt they 'wrote into a corner' with the Reapers being 'too powerful'. Idiots! You are writing a fictional world. The Reapers don't exist in some vacuum where they have an objective measure of power that can't be beaten or whatever. And moreover, the entire flow of the series to that date was 'Oh no, this amazing thing would be impossible!' '*Shepard Right Hooks It*" "SHEPARD DID IT AGAIN!?" over and over. Then you just hit this wall and nope, gotta listen to starkid and his pulled of the rear end 'main conflict'.

After this ending was done, I pretty much never played an ME game single player again. It kind of broke the spell. I still think 1's overall plot was great and its ending was really satisfying, but 2 onward was kind of wrecked for me.

Played the poo poo out of MP, though, MP was fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Now that the final part of the LP is out, man... were the Bioware forums terrible around the time of the endings

Just a miserable echo chamber people calling each other genocide fetishists, luddites, fascists, and other colorful names because they someone prefered the red, blue, or green ending and thought the other two were horrible

Honestly, I think I got so invested into the series that with that ending and visiting those forums afterwards got me into a bad headspace for daring to like the Red ending