Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

I can't even keep up to shitpost. Do any of you work? it's like 10 pages of on call time. You just spent like all that time on this conversation over the past 4 days

I mean do you work? After all that poo poo posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't done more than 15 minutes of work in a single day this month. I'm sitting in limbo post acquisition until the higher ups figure out what teams to put us on.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't on-call where you need to be in the office just 'a shift'?

Maybe I'm misreading or not making my point well.

I work mon-fri 9-5 in an office, but if for my on call week I can WFH then awesome

When I'm on call outside of Mon-fri 9-5 - I don't go in, I just do critical issues and a lot of mine turns into 'heres how you can work around that until someone is on site' anyway

even so, I don't like giving up my free time to work so if I could WFH and inevitably have the flexibility to do stuff like take my dog out at lunch etc then that would go some way to making it ok I think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

angry armadillo posted:

Maybe I'm misreading or not making my point well.

I work mon-fri 9-5 in an office, but if for my on call week I can WFH then awesome

When I'm on call outside of Mon-fri 9-5 - I don't go in, I just do critical issues and a lot of mine turns into 'heres how you can work around that until someone is on site' anyway

even so, I don't like giving up my free time to work so if I could WFH and inevitably have the flexibility to do stuff like take my dog out at lunch etc then that would go some way to making it ok I think.

That makes a lot more sense. I thought originally that when you were on-call you were going into the office to sit down for the night in case you got paged.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No, you're still missing the point. I'm not talking about money, and you still can't seem to grasp that. I am saying that this is not a difficult thing to do every 6 weeks and that people need to stop acting like being on-call is a great sacrifice.

Ha ha ha. Every 6 weeks? I work at one of the big banks in my country, I get two weeks mandatory oncall every month. We get paid $300 for those 15 days + OT. Depending on the applications that you are oncall for, ConnectDirect, Windows, Not-Windows or Channels (MQ), you might get one call per night or a nightmare of 5 calls per night for the duration which means working 40 hours of OT per week.

The bank has a massive attrition rate (gee I wonder why) which means even us contractors need to do oncall. Not to mention, legally the bank has massive liability because the Laboral Code (which covers what can an employer do and not do) does not cover the oncall figure explicitly. Only emergency services are considered to be eligible for oncall and its not well explained. Logically a company would tip toe and try not to violate labor laws you would think but NOPE, the bank is going to have a BIG problem once the wrong guy gets fired. The bank has been consistently violating several labor laws including:

1) One that explicitly limits the amount of OT you can do in a week (9 hours, you get penalized for anything above): you can routinely exceed this. This law is intended to motivate employers to either work with 2 shifts or a rotation.

2) The one that specifies that after last work activity you have performed, you are to have 12 hours of personal time. My boss whines whenever someone who is oncall arrives late the next day.

3) If you work on a Sunday, you should get OT AND a comp day...which is never given.

Thanks Ants posted:

That makes a lot more sense. I thought originally that when you were on-call you were going into the office to sit down for the night in case you got paged.

That used to be the case here previously. With the advent of VPNs you can handle oncall work from home easily...but you still have to do your regular shifts where I work. I have gotten calls: at a beach house (thank goodness for cellphone reception), during a date with an ex-gf (I hosed up and left the laptop at home, fortunately I coordinated with a buddy to cover that call for me). Don't everybody assume that just because you get one call every blue moon, that everybody works like that. Any company with 24/7 services will start leaning more and more on their workers, burning them out pretty early.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 24, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

I can't even keep up to shitpost. Do any of you work? it's like 10 pages of on call time. You just spent like all that time on this conversation over the past 4 days

Are you going to have another big baby meltdown?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

Are you going to have another big baby meltdown?

What do you think he gets the big bucks for? He containerizes his meltdowns.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Right but, as VC pointed out, you aren't unpaid. You're paid 6 figures for a job where you have to do on call work every 63rd weekend.

Truly, would some of you feel more comfortable if your salary was reduced by $2,000, and we added a line item "Annual On Call Services - $2,000"?

But I have to make sure I'm within 30 minutes of my computer at basically all times every 9 weeks, and I don't have it half as bad as some of the people in this thread. I get your point about it being a line item on a salary, but it wasn't something that was explicitly spelled out when taking this job and it should have been. "You'll be expected to be on call and able to assist within 30 minutes, once every x number of weeks". It isn't something that is enough for me to even consider leaving but it would have been something for me to negotiate a higher salary and use as leverage in doing so which is exactly why they probably don't talk about it in the interview process. It's also something I now know to ask about, so part of that is on me.

I also think it's dumb that anyone in IT is exempt from overtime as well, we gonna fight about that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

:golfclap:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Last job I had, we had 1 on-call week a month, but because I was the Business Systems Admin, I got called for literally everything because my other idiot coworkers couldn't read the documentation I wrote to deal with issues. The documentation was either too detailed or not enough. I was 100% being taken advantage of. Also the boss expected us to be checking e-mail off-hours because we were "salaried professionals".

On call blows because employers take advantage of it. It needs to be codified in labor law, even if you're getting extra money to be compensated for it. Every hour you work beyond 40 uncomped means you're getting paid less for your labor.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
What's worse, being on call one week out of eight for stuff you don't know that much about, averaging 1 call a week, or being on call 1 out of every four weeks, rarely getting called and for stuff you more directly support?

I think my manager is going to spin being off the other team's on-call as a victory, but I 'm feeling like the act of having to lug around a laptop and work phone twice as often is worse, even if the calls are fewer, but don't know how to convince her.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would prefer the later, but it really depends on the frequency of the calls and how complex the "stuff you don't know that much about" is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I just got an email from our network engineer asking me to pick a static IP because we're turning off DHCP 'for security reasons'.

Yup, that's it. I think it's time to jump ship.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just got an email from our network engineer asking me to pick a static IP because we're turning off DHCP 'for security reasons'.

Perhaps you should recommend that he learn how to use a loving DHCP reservation and quit being a lazy gently caress?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

Perhaps you should recommend that he learn how to use a loving DHCP reservation and quit being a lazy gently caress?

I mean it's not like he doesn't know how, or is lazy. That much I know.
The mandate came down from CTO 'for security purposes'.

I don't even know what to say except, security through obscurity, is not security.
I mean FFS at least just use port security if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

Can someone do the needful and roll his deployment back to a rev that didn't post ?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Manager asked me and other networking dude if one of us can start our shift at 7 instead of 830 to improve coverage. To be fair, we do see a fair amount of issues right before we make it into the office. Other guys been here for like 7 years and I feel lovely not doing it because of stupid respect for seniority, but on the other hand, I’m lazy and already have trouble getting there before 830 lol. Moving my shift up an hour and a half would probably seriously affect my relationship with the job and my boss.

Not really sure how to tackle this, we both made it clear that neither of us want this. Might have to team up and just say no to the boss

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tetramin posted:

Manager asked me and other networking dude if one of us can start our shift at 7 instead of 830 to improve coverage. To be fair, we do see a fair amount of issues right before we make it into the office. Other guys been here for like 7 years and I feel lovely not doing it because of stupid respect for seniority, but on the other hand, I’m lazy and already have trouble getting there before 830 lol. Moving my shift up an hour and a half would probably seriously affect my relationship with the job and my boss.

Not really sure how to tackle this, we both made it clear that neither of us want this. Might have to team up and just say no to the boss
As someone who went from an 8:30 start time to a 9:30 start time and saw a tremendous boost in productivity and happiness: you may want to give your "no" from that perspective. Or, at least ask that whoever gets stuck with the early shift gets a shift differential for the first couple of hours to compensate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

Work smarter, not harder.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Proteus Jones posted:

Work smarter, not harder.

Work fartr not shartr

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish I could start my shift that early. I already come in 45 mins to an hour early because of beating traffic. It’s the difference of a 15 min drive to a 45 min drive.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GreenNight posted:

I wish I could start my shift that early. I already come in 45 mins to an hour early because of beating traffic. It’s the difference of a 15 min drive to a 45 min drive.

I’ve had commutes like that going home. If I left at 4:30 I’m home by 5:15. If I left at five I’m home by 6:30.

I’d have people “and one more thing”-ing me at 4:33 and I’m like “rear end in a top hat, every minute I’m standing here listening to you is adding five minutes to my drive home.”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’ve had VPs tell my boss that I can’t be that busy since I leave on time everyday. Motherfucker I’m here almost an hour early every day and you don’t know what work I do on night and weekends. Pissed me off. How is it his business anyways.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I’ve had commutes like that going home. If I left at 4:30 I’m home by 5:15. If I left at five I’m home by 6:30.

I’d have people “and one more thing”-ing me at 4:33 and I’m like “rear end in a top hat, every minute I’m standing here listening to you is adding five minutes to my drive home.”

This is one of the benefits of being beholden to a train schedule. Everyone knows I have to leave at a certain time to make my train, and I am going to loving bounce at that time unless our entire production environment is on fire. Doesn't matter if we're in the middle of a meeting or who wants to shoot the poo poo, I'm leaving. Because otherwise I miss dinner with the kids, stress my wife out as she has to unexpectedly solo parent, etc. I put a daily recurring event on my calendar so people don't try to schedule time with me after I have to be gone :v:

I've been in the situation you're describing when I used to commute in and out of Denver and it sucked. "Thanks, man, that random unprovoked diatribe as I am very obviously walking out the door with my coat and bag about which Linux distro you prefer added 45 minutes to my drive, hope it was worth it"

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 25, 2019

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Docjowles posted:

This is one of the benefits of being beholden to a train schedule. Everyone knows I have to leave at a certain time to make my train, and I am going to loving bounce at that time unless our entire production environment is on fire. Doesn't matter if we're in the middle of a meeting or who wants to shoot the poo poo, I'm leaving. Because otherwise I miss dinner with the kids, stress my wife out as she has to unexpectedly solo parent, etc. I put a daily recurring event on my calendar so people don't try to schedule time with me after I have to be gone :v:

I've been in the situation you're describing when I used to commute in and out of Denver and it sucked. "Thanks, man, that random unprovoked diatribe as I am very obviously walking out the door with my coat and bag about which Linux distro you prefer added 45 minutes to my drive, hope it was worth it"

I’m in the same predicament but block my calendar 30 mins before I have to leave. It also helps with the “oh yeah, 1 last question!”-folks when you are obviously leaving.

I try to leave 30 mins early each day as I get some OOH requests usually and I have no issue with helping folks if I’m able to. It helps me a lot with flexibility with parenting responsibilities and everyone at the office is happy I’m available for questions roughly from 7 to 7.

Each hour of OT is paid of course. No on call duties.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
In Sweeeeeeeeden we have pretty firm rules regarding on-call.

I have on-call about 1 week a month, its 24/7 and its more or less, if things start burning or clients can call someone and its only for P1 and P2 incidents. If they call and I have to go into work I get paid full overtime from the second they called me.

I get compensated $700 for this. I also get a paid day off the next week because the unions count this on-call as constant working, and we cant work more than 11 days in a row, which I will have had on the friday after my on-call. So $700 and a day off the next week is a pretty sweet deal.

However if I had that integrated into my base salary it would be preferrable, since then it would count towards my pension and other benefits.

Also more ontopic: I def feel like you should get compensated well for this, I have to switch my on-call with colleagues if I have to do things where I cant answer the phone right away and answer, or travel in a short time period to work.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm already up at 530am so coming in at 730 would be ok by me. I usually get in at 8am anyway so I can get some morning table tennis in before the rest of engineering gets in

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah, as someone who gets in around 7:30 and leaves leaves by 4 if not earlier, it’s great.

Waking up super early is awesome and I literally can’t sleep in past 7 any more because my body just jolts me awake.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I cannot even contemplate going to bed by 9pm so the idea of a 5:30 am wake time is literal pod person level poo poo for me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Getting in at 7 is ok, leaving at 530 is not. Need a new jobbbbbb

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yeah, as someone who gets in around 7:30 and leaves leaves by 4 if not earlier, it’s great.

Waking up super early is awesome and I literally can’t sleep in past 7 any more because my body just jolts me awake.

I work remote, but I'm online at 6AM these days.

I too can never sleep in again. But that's more because the animals have become accustomed to a 5AM feeding and Little Dog absolutely *has* to patrol the yard right after. More reliable than any alarm clock.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
In at 0600, out at 1400. Wouldn't have it any other way, except for days like today when I accidentally wake up at 0300 so I get to work at 0500.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm in at 6:30 and out by 3:30 most days. It's loving amazing. My body has adjusted to getting up at 5:30 so it's no big deal anymore, plus my dogs are using on my rear end for food at that time anyways.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I am also part of the 07:30-15:30 crew. I can't imagine being in bed before midnight though; that's something that refuses to change. Too much of a night owl. Sometimes this requires I take a nap when I get home.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GreenNight posted:

I’ve had VPs tell my boss that I can’t be that busy since I leave on time everyday. Motherfucker I’m here almost an hour early every day and you don’t know what work I do on night and weekends. Pissed me off. How is it his business anyways.

I had that come up - "you can't be that busy, you aren't putting in a ton of OT".

Dude, I'll put in OT for major poo poo. But if you won't hire enough people for our department, I'm not burning out to save the ship.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The kind of place that will turn off DHCP for that given reason probably doesn't have DHCP snooping turned on so this will only make things worse when joe bloe in accounting puts his linksys w/ DHCP enabled in so the eye pees work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Siochain posted:

I had that come up - "you can't be that busy, you aren't putting in a ton of OT".

Dude, I'll put in OT for major poo poo. But if you won't hire enough people for our department, I'm not burning out to save the ship.

So this. I know so many people who Through Heroic Individual Effort will Personally Save The Company Single-Handed.

I don’t get these people. It’s like Peter says, “if I work harder and the company moves a few more widgets, I don’t see a dime.”

I enjoy where I work. But as long as they pay me a fixed amount you better believe I’m working a fixed amount (on average). I like my job, but I like my (hopefully happy and healthy and long) life more.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Agrikk posted:

So this. I know so many people who Through Heroic Individual Effort will Personally Save The Company Single-Handed.

I don’t get these people. It’s like Peter says, “if I work harder and the company moves a few more widgets, I don’t see a dime.”

I enjoy where I work. But as long as they pay me a fixed amount you better believe I’m working a fixed amount (on average). I like my job, but I like my (hopefully happy and healthy and long) life more.

I love being a contractor. The head of Land Management comes to me and tells me someone scrambled the deeds. I spend an entire weekend, two twelve-hour days, unscrambling and reorganizing this poo poo. I get 24 hours pay at $30/hr. Not a problem with me, especially since my agency does all my tax poo poo for me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bull3964 posted:

I cannot even contemplate going to bed by 9pm so the idea of a 5:30 am wake time is literal pod person level poo poo for me.
I'm out at 10:30-11:30 and up at 4. I end up way less tired when I'm up before my screaming, whiny child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm out at 10:30-11:30 and up at 4. I end up way less tired when I'm up before my screaming, whiny child

You really shouldn't talk about C-levels that way.