Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Since tourism districts produce some of the ugliest districts ever, is it possible to plop functional tourism buildings like hotels and leisure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TigerXtrm posted:

Since tourism districts produce some of the ugliest districts ever, is it possible to plop functional tourism buildings like hotels and leisure?

IIRC you can do this with plopable rico and also use the building themes mod to choose other assets for tourism.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

turn off the TV posted:

IIRC you can do this with plopable rico and also use the building themes mod to choose other assets for tourism.

So you can basically make any building count towards tourism related unlockables and income? That would be sweet.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

I've been thinking about buying this game for a while now but it every time I want to buy it I see all those DLC's and wonder if I'm actually buying a complete game if I just get the base game. The price of the base game varies greatly from Steam to other websites, getting an actual physical copy only costs €10,- but on steam it's €25,-. Some websites offer it for €8,- to €10,- and I have no idea what the difference is between all of them. Can anyone shove me in the right direction and give me a small guide to all the DLC's and how important they are? If it's already done somewhere in this thread getting an approximate page number is fine aswell.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Complications made a good rundown post about the middle of page 417.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

FYI

You can link to postsvia the # in the bottom left corner of a post.

Like this

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Popete posted:

FYI

You can link to postsvia the # in the bottom left corner of a post.

Like this

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Awesome! That's a useful rundown of things. The only thing that I find strange is the price difference between Steam and other websites. How come the difference is that big? There's a store offering the base game + - After Dark (DLC) - Snowfall (DLC) - Mass Transit (DLC) for €15,- but steam has the base game for over €25,-

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Do you get access to Steam via a code anyway? The Workshop is worth $$$$ is what I’m saying.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Not sure if the game is available on GOG, but most places that sell digital games just sell Steam keys anyway.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Fanatical usually has the game on sale, and they are legitimate resellers of Steam keys.

They're owned by Focus Multimedia.

As well for seeing a sale you can check https://isthereanydeal.com/ as they only provide links to legitimate sellers and not to grey market websites, for any game basically.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey you know those things that you feel like an idiot for not knowing about when you learn about them? Yea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Started building my own housing estates. Having fun with it. Also my own factories. Also using maps that aren't flat.

Also enjoy that the factory complex can be fed comfortably with a rail line and a simple 2 lane road connected straight across the highway.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Started building my own housing estates. Having fun with it. Also my own factories. Also using maps that aren't flat.

Also enjoy that the factory complex can be fed comfortably with a rail line and a simple 2 lane road connected straight across the highway.

Tell me more about the factory setup, how do you avoid hordes of trucks clogging up your two lane road?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Tell me more about the factory setup, how do you avoid hordes of trucks clogging up your two lane road?

Well it has three cargo depots in it which helps :v:

I am using the rush hour mod which I would imagine probably changes how many trucks they emit but my solution to industrial traffic has always been shitloads of heavy cargo transport. The reason your roads (and cargo terminals) get clogged up is basically because you don't have enough of them and you have a lot of cargo to move. If you sprinkle cargo terminals around the place then the game will generally pick the closest one. So it spreads your truck load to multiple points inside the industrial sector rather than out onto the highway.

The workers, of course, get there by cable car.

The complex does have a reasonable amount of traffic but almost all of it is internal and quickly terminates at a rail depot. Almost everyone commutes via cable car and then walks or cycles from the cable car stop.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 10, 2019

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Well it has three cargo depots in it which helps :v:

I am using the rush hour mod which I would imagine probably changes how many trucks they emit but my solution to industrial traffic has always been shitloads of heavy cargo transport. The reason your roads (and cargo terminals) get clogged up is basically because you don't have enough of them and you have a lot of cargo to move. If you sprinkle cargo terminals around the place then the game will generally pick the closest one. So it spreads your truck load to multiple points inside the industrial sector rather than out onto the highway.

The workers, of course, get there by cable car.

The complex does have a reasonable amount of traffic but almost all of it is internal and quickly terminates at a rail depot. Almost everyone commutes via cable car and then walks or cycles from the cable car stop.

Hmm. I was under the impression that adding more cargo stations effectively just generates more train traffic. Is that no longer the case?

I guess if what you have works I will probably do similar stuff in my next city for every industrial region. I wonder if someone's made a freight station that just looks like a little industrial siding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yeah it does generate more trains, but a train carries a lot more stuff than a truck does. And critically you should have fewer train junctions which are the big problem for traffic.

It's always a good idea to convert trucks to trains where possible, train lines have more realism constraints sure but you can draw near parallel merges without visual glitches. They're much easier to make run smoothly and frankly, the rail lines are quite a lot of fun to work around.

You do end up with an unrealistic number of trains but it works.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 10, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OwlFancier posted:

What assets are you using for the buildings? I've also been building idealized low cost housing. I put them near bike and pedestrian paths, and integrate them with public parks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you all find what collections are good and updated? I had 114 pages of workshop items running and the game finally gave up the ghost, hard locked my PC, and made steam think the entire game was uninstalled when I rebooted. I hit the Unsubscribe All button so now I’m starting from scratch. I’m trying to keep these assets minimal (or at least, things I’d realistically use or benefit from) because I only have 8GB ram.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

buglord posted:

How do you all find what collections are good and updated? I had 114 pages of workshop items running and the game finally gave up the ghost, hard locked my PC, and made steam think the entire game was uninstalled when I rebooted. I hit the Unsubscribe All button so now I’m starting from scratch. I’m trying to keep these assets minimal (or at least, things I’d realistically use or benefit from) because I only have 8GB ram.

You can see when individual collections were created and last updated.

gently caress if I know how to find good collections of mods or assets, they're usually a complete shitshow of quality and consistency.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

What assets are you using for the buildings? I've also been building idealized low cost housing. I put them near bike and pedestrian paths, and integrate them with public parks.

There's a bundle on the workshop I'll dig it out for you. There's like two guys who do a whole pile of soviet stuff.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630097587

I think that's got most of it.

Pashka and kowkamurka do a lot of the really nice soviet assets.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 11, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks homie. I'll pick and choose what I need from there. Going from over 1000 workshop items to about less than 30 has things flow a lot smoother. Load times are levels of magnitude faster and I'm not really feeling like I'm missing out on much.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

buglord posted:

How do you all find what collections are good and updated?

there's a whole bunch of really neat UK collections (by rik4000 and Macwelshman) from thatched cottages, to terraced housing, to london highstreets. it all works really well with Forza Valley and a few choice selections from the railway replacer mod

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Parklife and Industries DLC are good. Although I was hoping Parklife would have had some sort of auto-fill tool to fill out empty spaces in certain areas. I feel like that was a huge missed opportunity and was something I expected to come preloaded. Oh well.

Have a few questions with Industries though. Despite having enough raw materials to turn into processed items, it seems like those factories never quite stay stocked, despite them being right literally adjacent to storage buildings that are always >95% full. Is there a way to guarantee 0 downtime? I’m having the same issue with unique factories too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

buglord posted:

Parklife and Industries DLC are good. Although I was hoping Parklife would have had some sort of auto-fill tool to fill out empty spaces in certain areas. I feel like that was a huge missed opportunity and was something I expected to come preloaded. Oh well.

Have a few questions with Industries though. Despite having enough raw materials to turn into processed items, it seems like those factories never quite stay stocked, despite them being right literally adjacent to storage buildings that are always >95% full. Is there a way to guarantee 0 downtime? I’m having the same issue with unique factories too.

Storage buildings almost never work right for me. I'll work to get it set up, and it will work perfectly for a while, and then suddenly the storage will all fill up and they just export the rest and the factories never get anything.

What I do now it make closed loops without any storage where the raw materials go straight to the factory and the only way out of my industry area is via rail so the trucks can't go on wild voyages instead of going to the factory that's asking for their load.

Not sure why they don't work right most of the time, but that's my experience and I always end up just removing all of my storage facilities in the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you set a warehouse to "fill" mode it generally holds as much stock as possible and then sends it to factories that need it.

If you set it to empty it will try to export its stock..

Balanced I think tries to do both but doesn't work too well. Generally if you're using balanced and it's filling up and not supplying your factories it means it's receiving too much stock and is using all its trucks trying to export the surplus. You could probably resolve it by building more storages. Or creating a cargo transport option closer to the factory so the trucks don't need to drive as far.

E: The game is really surprisingly fun when you manually place everything and treat it like a lego set.

The traffic simulation still gives you plenty of mechanical depth even with freeform building placement.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 21, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the industry expansion for Skylines really didn't work out in my opinion. The intent was good but the implementation wasn't great.

Instead I've gotten hooked on a VERY early-access game, Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been looking at that but the network laying seems awful compared to C:S.
If you had the mechanics of that but with the road systems and terraforming from C:S it'd be perfect.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah as much as I like the DLCs I've purchased so far, none of them have really made the mid and late game very deep. Its just more stuff to do until you're rolling in 20k weekly income. I wish there were were more building styles though. I can make pretty nice farming towns with a blanket Historical Buildings mod that applies it to all buildings in a district. Then I can build mid sized buildings in the new part of town, and then the skyscrapers, and thats it. Everything just starts to look samey by the time my town hits 15k people.

The answer is clearly to go onto the workshop and download hundreds, if not thousands of building assets, but the quality is all over the board and the game starts to get ridiculous load times as you add it all in there.

I'd be willing to buy a huge DLC asset pack if it meant more building variety and less Workshop management. But that wont fix the lack of mid/late game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Baronjutter posted:

So the industry expansion for Skylines really didn't work out in my opinion. The intent was good but the implementation wasn't great.

Instead I've gotten hooked on a VERY early-access game, Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic.

I've moved on to Factorio. I know it's not a city builder, but it scratches the same itch and everything is up to me, I don't have to wait for population to move in, I just have to deal with system design, supply & demand, logistics stuff and defense if I leave the biters turned on. It has that same effect that Cities did of sitting down to play and then realizing it's 4am and I leave for work in 2 hours... oops!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You may also want to look at Rise of Industry if you are looking for an industrial game. Its industry implementation is much more in depth than Cities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fun with quays and height differentials.

Probably not realistic but the hotel's got a great view :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 22, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does anyone have trouble with service vehicles not spawning? I'm having these symptoms:

- Vehicles on building info window flickers between 0 and 1
-service buildings only send a few vehicles out, far below max capacity ( causes problems when death waves occur)

Only mod I have installed which alters traffic is the Rebalanced Industries mod.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 22, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Interesting take on loss.jpg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is there a mod or something I can get just to have more prebuilt options for highway onramps? I'm terrible at them and they always end up looking like spaghetti anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there a mod or something I can get just to have more prebuilt options for highway onramps? I'm terrible at them and they always end up looking like spaghetti anyway.

Just click the Intersection category in the Steam workshop. Enjoy browsing through 35,000 uploads.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nielsm posted:

Just click the Intersection category in the Steam workshop. Enjoy browsing through 35,000 uploads.

Most of which are crap. Honestly, I find it easier and more effective to determine what kind of intersection I need and freeball it. I also have been slowly accumulating a bunch of different designs of intersections, like this one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just got this game thanks to a Humble Monthly a while back with the After Dark expansion and wow playing for a short while makes me realise why traffic designers make one-way roads. They're great for making one traffic problem go away and congesting another intersection instead where you aren't paying attention.

I think I'm about ready to build a new city with what I've learned from my current population of about 5k. Number 1: don't stick a big residential block next to the highway.

Finally, wtf why is 'roundabout' not a default intersection option? Not a big giant one that the game gives you by default that takes up an entire city block. Just something like this.

These are common on 2-way suburban streets where I live, what's with the crazy giant default asset.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

bewilderment posted:

Finally, wtf why is 'roundabout' not a default intersection option? Not a big giant one that the game gives you by default that takes up an entire city block. Just something like this.

These are common on 2-way suburban streets where I live, what's with the crazy giant default asset.

:shrug: my dream DLC would just include basic city building stuff like this but in four years they haven’t gone there.

Has there been any noise about a Cities 2? I’m kinda burnt out on how much manual effort it takes to make a city that looks any good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bewilderment posted:

I just got this game thanks to a Humble Monthly a while back with the After Dark expansion and wow playing for a short while makes me realise why traffic designers make one-way roads. They're great for making one traffic problem go away and congesting another intersection instead where you aren't paying attention.

I think I'm about ready to build a new city with what I've learned from my current population of about 5k. Number 1: don't stick a big residential block next to the highway.

there's a roundabout builder mod you should check out, it makes it easy to place a roundabout of a specific radius and road type over an intersection

also you need traffic manager president edition to make roundabouts function correctly (not having stop signs/lights on them, giving traffic already in the roundabout priority, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

also you need traffic manager president edition to make roundabouts function correctly (not having stop signs/lights on them, giving traffic already in the roundabout priority, etc.)

You can actually do both of those without TMPE but basically nothing else.

I'd also love a cities 2 with more stuff like industries and more traffic options. Really the traffic management part is the best part and the part that takes best advantage of the agent based system, and if they could use the dynamic road geometry system to make buildings conform more to a non-grid layout that'd be nice too.