Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Apparently someone got a list of the Monarch code-names for at least some of the other kaiju thanks to the trailer:

Leviathan
Abbadon
Methuselah
Sargon
Baphomet
Kronus
Bunyip
Cipactli

I just Wikied these and a couple could be fun if they are based on their namesakes.

Bunyip is an aboriginal Australian legend of a man eating monster that is described in many forms, so the Dougherty could go crazy with that one.

More intriguing is Cipactli. That literally translates as, "crocodile" or "cayman."

Wikipedia posted:

In Aztec mythology, Cipactli was a primeval sea monster, part crocodilian, part fish and part toad or frog, with indefinite gender. Always hungry, every joint on its body was adorned with an extra mouth. The deity Tezcatlipoca sacrificed a foot when he used it as bait to draw the monster nearer. He and Quetzalcoatl created the earth from its body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Cipactli roamed the endless seas and devoured the men and corn the gods sent down to earth. We turned into monstrous snakes, entered her navel and tore her in half. One half of her became 400 star goddesses and the other became the earth. Her sacrifice demands great sacrifice in turn.

Edit: The indefinite gender thing is weird. Cipactli is strongly tied to female earth and star deities.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I swear if they sneak Zilla in as a cameo, I would be ecstatic, and I hate that movie. The design has never been BAD and acknowledging the past is always great

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you know what I just thought of?

If Zilla was born in French Polynesia according to the 98 film, how is it he first made landfall in New York? That makes no geographical sense.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Burkion posted:

I swear if they sneak Zilla in as a cameo, I would be ecstatic, and I hate that movie. The design has never been BAD and acknowledging the past is always great

Someone in CineD pointed out it's a Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake, and yeah, it totally is. The movie improves dramatically if you scrape the Godzilla branding off.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wdarkk posted:

Someone in CineD pointed out it's a Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake, and yeah, it totally is. The movie improves dramatically if you scrape the Godzilla branding off.

That's why when it comes to ranking Godzilla movies, I cannot in good faith rank it.

One way or the other, it does not work as a Godzilla movie. I barely consider Godzilla's Revenge a Godzilla movie and it actually has him in it!

That has nothing to do with its quality either- Godzilla's revenge just blatantly is not a Godzilla movie. it's a kids adventure movie that is a commentary on latchkey culture that was so prevalent at the time and how those kids were developing. You could replace Godzilla and Minya with Batman and Robin and have the exact same movie.

G98 works best as its own thing, a weird callout on American attitudes toward city destruction spectacle and a monument to the director's on going beef with critics. A film at the strange period in time where Reno was almost a mainstream actor, we were still giving roles to Simpson voice actors, and nothing could ever be sincere and straight forward.

Seeing the film in sharp contrast with post 9/11 culture is a real eye opener. I don't think you could make G98 today, Godzilla branding or no, just because of how it treats city wide destruction with such comical irrelevance. That jet fighter just blew up a bunch of buildings, presumably killing people, that scamp!

None of this is BAD, I will say. It's a fascinating film to watch, and the practical effects in the movie still hold up today. The animatronic they made is a stand out, the building destruction is great regardless of the context, and the CGI

Well the CGI is ropey as hell but they tried.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mantis42 posted:

you know what I just thought of?

If Zilla was born in French Polynesia according to the 98 film, how is it he first made landfall in New York? That makes no geographical sense.

it first appeared in "jamaica"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oewbZjrpA

edit: I think the idea is Zilla likes to eat some certain kind of fish and its stocks had been caught and then was shipped to NY so that's why it went

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 24, 2019

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

it first appeared in "jamaica"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oewbZjrpA

edit: I think the idea is Zilla likes to eat some certain kind of fish and its stocks had been caught and then was shipped to NY so that's why it went

That video is just OOZING jurassic park sequel lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except the Lost World Jurassic Park kicks rear end, while G'98 is a much weirder movie when you break it down.

Also didn't they mention that Zilla crossed over Panama on its way to the Atlantic? It's been a while since I've watched the film.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

friendship ended with avengers endgame

godzilla is my new best friend holy poo poo

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except the Lost World Jurassic Park kicks rear end, while G'98 is a much weirder movie when you break it down.

Also didn't they mention that Zilla crossed over Panama on its way to the Atlantic? It's been a while since I've watched the film.

Oozing in a bad way yeah.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Russian movie poster

Chinese Poster

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's amusing to know that this is possible in Monsterverse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Chinese Poster

Godzilla is looking almost possessed here.

I'm waiting to see if we get another awesome IMAX poster.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tekne posted:

Is this real?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tekne posted:

Holy poo poo.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Anyone remember the early 90's line of Godzilla toys from Trendmasters?

There was a of Godzilla vs. Biollante, set in Washington DC.

King of the Monsters looks like the movie I imagined, based on that playset, and I am wondering if Michael Dougherty is on a similar train of thought (as in: making the movie he wanted to see when he was a kid).

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Is this real?

Can someone please confirm or deny this, although it's not like I wasn't already gonna be there opening weekend

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MelancholyMark posted:

Can someone please confirm or deny this, although it's not like I wasn't already gonna be there opening weekend

It's not, it's an edit of the scene where Godzilla lasers the sky.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla is looking almost possessed here.

Well... there is evidence that Godzilla enters a burning red meltdown mode during the movie - you see a couple glimpses of it in the trailers - so I think the poster is trying to evoke that without spoiling it.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

VanSandman posted:

It's not, it's an edit of the scene where Godzilla lasers the sky.
That is correct. Funny thing is the image was made before we saw that Godzilla's breath at max output can lift and push Ghidorah back. It stands to reason that he could propel himself with it.

Goji just isn't having a good day. https://i.imgur.com/NpBB0ii.gifv

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can’t wait for the home release but I wish there was a way to get the person playing the movie in theatres to maybe turn it up a little louder to blast the audience away.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Tekne posted:

That is correct. Funny thing is the image was made before we saw that Godzilla's breath at max output can lift and push Ghidorah back. It stands to reason that he could propel himself with it.

In all fairness, that still might not have been his atomic breath's maximum output.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's loud as gently caress in IMAX if you have one close by.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tekne posted:

Well there's something you don't see every day.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vintersorg posted:

I can’t wait for the home release but I wish there was a way to get the person playing the movie in theatres to maybe turn it up a little louder to blast the audience away.

advice: go with a friend, then (separately, far enough apart that it's not obvious what you're doing) go say it's a little quiet. not every theater is gonna just blindly turn up the volume but it's worth a shot.

alternately just sneak into the projection booth

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Failson posted:

Anyone remember the early 90's line of Godzilla toys from Trendmasters?

There was a of Godzilla vs. Biollante, set in Washington DC.

King of the Monsters looks like the movie I imagined, based on that playset, and I am wondering if Michael Dougherty is on a similar train of thought (as in: making the movie he wanted to see when he was a kid).

Those toys ruled. Made me a fan of Space Godzilla for life.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I still have the small roaring Godzilla they made.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1121236143607967744

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 25, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Danmora_c/status/1121229376551567360

gently caress gently caress gently caress me

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This official art contest is pretty sweet.

Oh yeah, the first press screenings are happening right now in Japan.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 25, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah" "Oh my"

Fuckin' I see what you did, Mike.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

King of the Monsters track list (song titles are spoilery) with a few samples just went up. This movie is going to be a full on glorious assault on the senses. https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/godzilla-king-monsters-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1460855475

Old Rivals has got me pumped as gently caress.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 25, 2019

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Any Ifukube on there?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ifukube and Blue Oyster Cult in the 2 samples available.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1121443780727463936

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

New phone background, don't mind if I dooooooo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tekne posted:

King of the Monsters track list (song titles are spoilery) with a few samples just went up. This movie is going to be a full on glorious assault on the senses. https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/godzilla-king-monsters-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1460855475

Old Rivals has got me pumped as gently caress.

Just

loving

Give it to me

Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

Burkion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 25, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Holy poo poo, this is loving everything.

They just put out a full video for Old Rivals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGqeBGQs_fs and this movie's score is going to flatten me before it hits theaters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm loving dead, Bear

You've killed me, Bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

Can't say I was expecting a Blue Oyster Cult cover