Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

turn off the TV posted:

a combination of this, being broke and becoming homeless while already being pretty nonfunctional and unstable in a lot of situations

The housing crisis is real, and being homeless does not have to be the end. You are fortunate to know when these challenges are coming and can begin to work on how to set yourself up for what's next and how you will get there. If you are comfortable sharing your location there are almost certainly resources available for you that myself or others can find. As others have echoed the suicide hotline is a good resource and may have some transitional housing resources as well. The more local the crisis line is the more specific the resources may be.

Depression has a way of constricting our perceptions and distorting our thoughts to reflect a reality that is not accurate. Most people do not truly wish to die; to end their life. Rather they wish for their suffering to end; a respite from the overwhelming distress they are experiencing. Just like everyday before; today, tomorrow, and even next month are days that are possible for you to survive and even enjoy. It is possible. You certainly have strengths and value that you are using at this very moment to survive even if you cannot perceive them or recognize that is what you are doing. By virtue of your reaching out to this community demonstrates that you are capable of hope. There is a belief (hope) that people are out there who are interested in helping you; who see you as valuable. Hope is the inoculation against suicidal actions. The belief that it can be better than it is now. That this pain is temporary. Though it can be hard to see and/or find in times of overwhelming distress hope is the oil that takes the friction out of living and others can help you carry that torch until you are ready and/or able to see and carry it for yourself.

If you actively have a plan and intent please call 911 and/or go to an ER. Reach out to a trusted other if you do not want to go by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Frog Act posted:

I have a masters degree and I’ve been unemployed for a year applying to jobs both in my field and in the field of “has a GED”

it’s beyond soul crushing

i applied for jobs for a year from afar (trying to facilitate a move across country as my wife has a job ((nurse)) that is easy to get work wherever you land).

it took me 14 goddamn months to get an interview promising enough to travel for. so far as i know, I only got that interview is because a friend of a friend referred me to it and the guy interviewing me had a high opinion of newspaper reporters because he was one too. I got the job, and that was after my wife had already relocated. I set a drop dead move date of Thanksgiving and I started at my current job a couple weeks before that. had I not gotten this offer, I very well could be jobless myself.

i dont know if it is at all helpful reading that, but I am familiar with the absolute soul crushingness of applying for scores and scores of jobs and coming up empty. I have a bachelor's degree, a good reputation, and some OK awards in my field, and a Pulitzer-prize winner as one of my references. I got three phone calls and one interview, and I applied for everything from working the front desk at an office to running communications for planned parenthood in my state. there were things I thought I'd be a shoo-in for and couldn't even get a call back or reply when I reached out to touch base. poo poo is dehumanizing and I wouldn't wish that poo poo on an enemy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
lol mixed state

right now I hate everything about myself but have too much energy and am curling up and freaking out after finishing everything on my todo list

luv 2 bipolar

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

had a sick depressive episode today that prevented me from going to work but its not like i want to be there anyway

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I tried to jack off this morning and it didn't work out the way I intended

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dreddout posted:

I tried to jack off this morning and it didn't work out the way I intended

*cut to flashback of being upside down with head in bucket and steamroller slowly approaching*

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

*cut to flashback of being upside down with head in bucket and steamroller slowly approaching*

I have needs

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Hi everyone. I am glad that people have been talking to each other ITT, sharing their thoughts and providing support. However, it is important that we mention this, so the information in this post will also be added to the OP via magical mod powers.

It is important to remember that SA's community is not designed to provide therapy or psychiatric advice, nor should it be a substitute for valid professional psychiatric care. If you feel like you need help, we strongly recommend that you seek out professional help through some resources that we have listed below:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
The Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line
If you are an International Goon, please look here for some resources: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html.

The Goon Doctor also has a Psychiatric Q&A Megathread, which is also not a source of absolute professional psychiatric advice or help. However, you may find it useful to answer some small questions or learn more about different treatment options.

Again, I am glad that goons here have been able to provide support and talk to each other. But these are just posts on a forum, and cannot provide you with an adequate replacement for professional psychiatric care. SA cannot provide, nor is it expected to provide this level of support for its users. If you need help, please seek professional psychiatric care in lieu of seeking support here. We care about our posters, but we are aware enough of our own limitations to know that the best outcomes are obtained through professional means.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

logikv9 posted:

voice of god

thanks, I prrrrrobably should’ve slapped a disclaimer on this thing to start with so whoops :shobon:

if you need me to do anything with the thread just let me know

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

logikv9 posted:

Hi everyone. I am glad that people have been talking to each other ITT, sharing their thoughts and providing support. However, it is important that we mention this, so the information in this post will also be added to the OP via magical mod powers.

It is important to remember that SA's community is not designed to provide therapy or psychiatric advice, nor should it be a substitute for valid professional psychiatric care. If you feel like you need help, we strongly recommend that you seek out professional help through some resources that we have listed below:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
The Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line
If you are an International Goon, please look here for some resources: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html.

The Goon Doctor also has a Psychiatric Q&A Megathread, which is also not a source of absolute professional psychiatric advice or help. However, you may find it useful to answer some small questions or learn more about different treatment options.

Again, I am glad that goons here have been able to provide support and talk to each other. But these are just posts on a forum, and cannot provide you with an adequate replacement for professional psychiatric care. SA cannot provide, nor is it expected to provide this level of support for its users. If you need help, please seek professional psychiatric care in lieu of seeking support here. We care about our posters, but we are aware enough of our own limitations to know that the best outcomes are obtained through professional means.

Fix my dick now

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
tried fitting/wearing a night guard ln and gave up once i realized this was gonna end with me cleaning up vomit

any tips or product recs?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mariana Horchata posted:

tried fitting/wearing a night guard ln and gave up once i realized this was gonna end with me cleaning up vomit

Did you do the full guard or just the little things that go over your molars? The latter are a lot easier to deal with and also don't end up with you drooling all over your pillow.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

Did you do the full guard or just the little things that go over your molars? The latter are a lot easier to deal with and also don't end up with you drooling all over your pillow.

it's a heat and bite style one that im not convinced at all about not waking up with it lodged in my throat and unable to save myself...also it's my canines that are taking the brunt of the damage tho so the latter may not help me

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Spent most of Easter in the ED because my husband thought he was going to be kidnapped if we went to my dad's house to have dinner. He eventually became lucid but then had another episode before we left the ED because he thought the Valium the ED doc prescribed (so he could get some sleep that night) was poison and I was trying to kill him so I could 'move on and have a better life'.

He's had mild anxiety for a long time, but these vivid paranoia episodes just started this last week. We're going to taper him off Adderall and start Olanzapine at night. This poo poo sucks, fam. :( Make sure to practice self care.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mariana Horchata posted:

it's a heat and bite style one that im not convinced at all about not waking up with it lodged in my throat and unable to save myself...also it's my canines that are taking the brunt of the damage tho so the latter may not help me

It does add space between all your teeth since you can't close them fully, so it may still help. ymmv. :shrug:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

nikosoft posted:

This poo poo sucks, fam. :( Make sure to practice self care.

that's brutal and im sorry you and he (and others) are going through this. please take your own advice and make sure you're taking care of yourself too. best of luck and i hope his issues are addressed quickly and without too much additional stress

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Mariana Horchata posted:

Please please please try to stick with the mouth guard. I've slept with one for the better part of a year and it never has come even the slightest bit loose.

The first few nights suck but if you power through I promise the night guard becomes natural. Hell, it's part of my night time ritual, so putting it in helps my brain go "okay it's time to go to bed".

My tip is just by some sedative chemicals of your choice and force yourself to keep it in. Remember you can clench your jaw as much as you want to with it in, so it's best to ignore the placement of your mouth. (I know that's easier said than done)

I'm not gonna lie, the first few nights it took me until about four hours to fall asleep. You gotta realize it's all in your head though, just try not to think about it. Your subconscious will adapt fast when it realizes the mouth guard is not negotiable. It took me about half a week to get used to it.

I'm glad I stuck with it though, my jaw no longer aches throughout the day. Avoiding that pain alone is enough for me. Plus you'll thank yourself years down the road, ground down teeth lead to dentures, an awful hassle if you've ever seen an old with them.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

nikosoft posted:

Spent most of Easter in the ED because my husband thought he was going to be kidnapped if we went to my dad's house to have dinner. He eventually became lucid but then had another episode before we left the ED because he thought the Valium the ED doc prescribed (so he could get some sleep that night) was poison and I was trying to kill him so I could 'move on and have a better life'.

He's had mild anxiety for a long time, but these vivid paranoia episodes just started this last week. We're going to taper him off Adderall and start Olanzapine at night. This poo poo sucks, fam. :( Make sure to practice self care.

My situation sounds similar and getting some rest + taking my Adderall dose from 40mg/day to < 10mg/day made a real difference. I hope that's all he needs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stretched out on a park bench for an hour today and just soaked up the sun listening to music. Suggest it to anyone. Felt much happier after.

I have successfully left my bedroom twice this week. :toot:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Addamere posted:

Stretched out on a park bench for an hour today and just soaked up the sun listening to music. Suggest it to anyone. Felt much happier after.

Vitamin D. It's good for you!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
does anyone have advice on telling your family about mental illness? I've been going through therapy and got on Zoloft, working hard to quit drinking. should I tell my mom this stuff or what? I talk to her a few times a week so I think I may be lying by omission but also this is personal stuff. no idea here!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

does anyone have advice on telling your family about mental illness? I've been going through therapy and got on Zoloft, working hard to quit drinking. should I tell my mom this stuff or what? I talk to her a few times a week so I think I may be lying by omission but also this is personal stuff. no idea here!

I'm going to give you the single most useless answer in the history of everything: it depends

I'm of the opinion that it's like coming out of the closet: it's best done for your own peace of mind but you have to do what's right for your situation. Hopefully your parents are understanding and nice if you do tell them, most people have good parents that will surprise you by stepping up if given a chance

That being said I have zero skin in this game because my mom is a goddamn monster and I cut her out of my life a while back so :shrug:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Consummate Professional posted:

you're absolutely not lying by omission and you have no obligation to inform her. talking to my mom was definitely the wrong choice for me and it didn't do her any favors.

i think in a perfect world we'd treat it just like any other relationship. if you trust them and feel like your relationship would be better if they knew, then tell them. otherwise, why?

in the real world i suppose there are material reasons we need to tell our parents about this stuff.

DONT THREAD ON ME has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Apr 25, 2019

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I had worried that my mother would be anxious if she found out I was on Fluoxetine, so I didn't tell her for ages - but it turns out she was fine with it (and I later found out she'd been on a different antidepressant herself, but had stopped taking it because of the side effects). So while that's just a personal tale of my own mother, I feel that any mum who would want their child to be happy above all else would prefer to hear that they were getting treatment than to find out about their illness much later in more unhappy circumstances. Though it is difficult to know when to bring up such a subject, but many of the older people I know have no problem discussing their medical issues with all and sundry on any occasion, so it might be easier than you think.

Jollity Farm has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Apr 25, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
somehow i doubt my parents would like me admitting idgaf about them

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

got any sevens posted:

somehow i doubt my parents would like me admitting idgaf about them

mood

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I appreciate the advice everyone. I think I'll just keep it to myself for now. I'm going home in a few months and I guess I'll answer the rude question about daily pills if it comes to it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Addamere posted:

You'd be suprised. A little sunlight goes a long way

I miss manual labor :(

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dreddout posted:

I miss manual labor :(

i would absolutely go back to it if there were some sort of national service program.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
i'm at the point now where my life seems so absolutely pointless and meaningless that I'm probably gonna play wow classic to kill time till I drink myself to death

cheers

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mackers posted:

i'm at the point now where my life seems so absolutely pointless and meaningless that I'm probably gonna play wow classic to kill time till I drink myself to death

cheers

Think of all the time you could kill volunteering for Bernie!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mackers posted:

cheers

Hi, Mackers. Please check the OP for resources. Suicide loving sucks, however you plan to do it. Try to find a therapist or try a stay at a hospital if you can. At the very least, call a suicide hotline and talk to someone about it that isn’t us

normally I’d write this off to a case of cspam “lol nihilism” but you combined feelings of meaninglessness with threat of suicide and that’s bad :smith:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Thanks, everyone. He has a progressive neurological disease so I would expect things to get worse, I'm just struck at how quickly a new low got achieved in the last week and it really has me down. I'm probably being foolishly optimistic about a medication review fixing these recent problems. It sounds terrible, but I'd rather he be doped up and compliant than this weird defiance. He just threw away dinner that our roommate brought home for him because he's afraid of 'civil forfeiture' over someone buying him a hamburger?? I honestly don't know.

To tie this into CSPAM, I guess I feel generally lovely at the state of the world and not optimistic for the future because my own life and future seems so bleak. So I read about politics and climate change and its all just like 'yep, yeah, this sucks. Oh well.'

My 36 year old husband has early onset Alzheimer's. I don't know what to do do.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I’m so sorry.

Find or build a local community. Many people are in desperate times and the only thing preventing us from working together is cultural norms. Community is how we coped in the past and I've known many people to be good and community mind in my life. I hope your situation allows you to find the support of one.

DONT THREAD ON ME has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Apr 27, 2019

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

nikosoft posted:

Thanks, everyone. He has a progressive neurological disease so I would expect things to get worse, I'm just struck at how quickly a new low got achieved in the last week and it really has me down. I'm probably being foolishly optimistic about a medication review fixing these recent problems. It sounds terrible, but I'd rather he be doped up and compliant than this weird defiance. He just threw away dinner that our roommate brought home for him because he's afraid of 'civil forfeiture' over someone buying him a hamburger?? I honestly don't know.

To tie this into CSPAM, I guess I feel generally lovely at the state of the world and not optimistic for the future because my own life and future seems so bleak. So I read about politics and climate change and its all just like 'yep, yeah, this sucks. Oh well.'

My 36 year old husband has early onset Alzheimer's. I don't know what to do do.
That's awful

I know it isn't much consolation but a lot of research is being done on treating Alzheimer's and your husband's still young. Maybe you could look into clinical trials for treatment

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Addamere posted:

nice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

for a while now i have been having episodes where i get repeatedly startled for no reason whenever i relax and now it's making me audibly gasp lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

turn off the TV posted:

for a while now i have been having episodes where i get repeatedly startled for no reason whenever i relax and now it's making me audibly gasp lol

patient: doctor, it hurts when i relax
doctor: well don't relax then dummy

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

Sometimes I wake up from sleep in a state of extreme yet vague anxiety. Seems to have little correlation to my dreams nor current events. Happens about once a month.

My brain sucks lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Sometimes I have anxious chest pains, and I've no idea why.

ME: Whatever am I so anxious about?

MY BRAIN: There's bound to be something.