Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone's given the Pathologic demo that came out today a try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Probably nothing new here most of us didn't know already, but ArsTechnica did a video feature with Thomas Grip talking about the haunted house mechanics in Amnesia: Dark Descent: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/video-amnesia-the-dark-descents-horror-relied-on-a-bit-of-cheating/

ZearothK posted:

Anyone's given the Pathologic demo that came out today a try?
Ohhh poo poo I didn't know that's almost out, I'm stoked. I'll probably wait for the whole thing to come out, I know almost nothing about the game other than trying the original a couple years ago.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Watching some puppet combo videos got the juices flowing and the more or less complete design for a manhunt sequel has invaded my brain. I don't know what to do with this.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cross-post from the General Chat Thread as this seems the most likely place for people to have played the game in all of Games.

:siren: Mod Approved Shameless Goon Self-promotion :siren:

I've officially 'Done A Thing' and put one of my favorite game soundtracks on vinyl: The Cat Lady. Yeah, the dead format your grandpa used to play Bing Crosby on.

https://twitter.com/stumpyfrogrecs/status/1120219084950396928

Anyway, this project means a lot to me. The Cat Lady means a lot to me. And from the emails I've been getting, it seems to mean a lot to other people as well. The music is a huge part of that.

I've made 500 copies and geeze, I really don't want to end up with 450 copies stashed in my garage over the coming years, so if you're interested at all in the niche of a niche of a niche that is Indie Horror Game Soundtrack On Vinyl, please do pre-order. I've kept the price as low as I possibly could for a double LP and every purchase helps.

You can pre-order here: https://www.stumpyfrog.com/

I have a couple of other fantastic soundtracks to indie games that I'd really like to give a beautiful release but it would take about 250 copies of The Cat Lady sold for me to be able to do that.

You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msg_DMtuXVE

You can get The Cat Lady game here (I highly recommend it):

https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady

And the sequel, Lorelai, comes out tomorrow here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/593960/Lorelai/

Thanks for reading and thank you very much Palpek for letting me post this here!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been playing Infliction lately and I gotta say, that game is actually really good. It sounds like it would be your standard "walk around the haunted house because you murdered your family" kind of game and on the most basic level it kind of is, but it makes up for it by being really creative and much more interactive than you'd expect from that genre.

It plays a lot like a roguelike, really. You're expected to die and you will die, in a lot of different ways and plenty of interesting, spooky situations. Little things will be different every time you die, though, from things like items appearing in places they previously weren't to entire room changing up their layout. Your overall goal is to find the necessary ingredients for a ritual to banish the angry ghost of your wife, who you murdered because you're a horrible, no-good alcoholic devil-worshipper who sacrificed his newborn son to demons to obtain... something, it's a bit vague. You will keep getting fed snippets of the player character's life both in the form of well-written (and illustrated) diary entries and voice-acted flashbacks, which are a whole lot better than your typical indie game.

The game is completely up-front about the fact that you are a goddamn horrible person and you deserve every single thing that happens to you, which makes the difficulty of avoiding the angry ghost much less frustrating than it could have been - and the amusing variety of horrible deaths and injuries you can suffer much more enjoyable. It's very honest about being a "make the rear end in a top hat die in a million different ways" simulator and I kind of love it for that.

There's also a surprising variety of environments, including some that you definitely won't be expecting and that I don't want to spoil here. The ending is very satisfying and exactly what you'll want it to be by that point. This is really an unusually good game of its type and I recommend it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How are the horror elements in Stellaris? Saw there were some crazy cosmic horror scenarios and I used to enjoy playing Civ4. Half tempted to give it a go... but only if the random horror bits are decent.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

How are the horror elements in Stellaris? Saw there were some crazy cosmic horror scenarios and I used to enjoy playing Civ4. Half tempted to give it a go... but only if the random horror bits are decent.

I love Stellaris but i really wouldn’t get it for the horror.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a grand strategy game, so it's really more that elements inspired by cosmic horror are present. There are some end-game threats that are kind of unsettling if you think about them for a bit, but don't expect them to really be scary. I think they're fairly decent, but it's just not that kind of game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cross-post from the General Chat Thread as this seems the most likely place for people to have played the game in all of Games.

I've officially 'Done A Thing' and put one of my favorite game soundtracks on vinyl: The Cat Lady. Yeah, the dead format your grandpa used to play Bing Crosby on.

Anyway, this project means a lot to me. The Cat Lady means a lot to me. And from the emails I've been getting, it seems to mean a lot to other people as well. The music is a huge part of that.

I've made 500 copies and geeze, I really don't want to end up with 450 copies stashed in my garage over the coming years, so if you're interested at all in the niche of a niche of a niche that is Indie Horror Game Soundtrack On Vinyl, please do pre-order. I've kept the price as low as I possibly could for a double LP and every purchase helps.

I have a couple of other fantastic soundtracks to indie games that I'd really like to give a beautiful release but it would take about 250 copies of The Cat Lady sold for me to be able to do that.

Thanks for reading and thank you very much Palpek for letting me post this here!

Upload the album's information to Discogs. There's a very ravenous group of people that buy video game vinyls and I've seen the nichest of the niche recessed within recesses sell out overnight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

al-azad posted:

Upload the album's information to Discogs. There's a very ravenous group of people that buy video game vinyls and I've seen the nichest of the niche recessed within recesses sell out overnight.

Excellent suggestion! Thank you :D

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Oh hey, Layers of Fear 2 is a thing. Starring Tony Todd of Candyman fame, presumably as the protagonist - an actor in a film being made on a cruise ship out at sea.

Interesting premise and setting, for sure.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

Oh hey, Layers of Fear 2 is a thing. Starring Tony Todd of Candyman fame, presumably as the protagonist - an actor in a film being made on a cruise ship out at sea.

I'm excited for the sequel version of the little girl ghost slamming face first into a cupboard and flying backwards

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wasn't really very impressed with Layers of Fear and I'd personally recommend to wait for and watch some decent gameplay videos before buying that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Layers of Fear was lame but Observer was a big improvement, so if they continue learning from their mistakes this one could be great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Agent Escalus posted:

I really liked the atmosphere of the first, so I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for the heads up!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

Layers of Fear was lame but Observer was a big improvement, so if they continue learning from their mistakes this one could be great.
drat, I'd never have thought those were made by the same people. Observer really was pretty good. Cautiously optimistic, then.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hope we're passed the "bad dad" era of horror games tbh

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That Devotion game is probably never going to see the light of day again is it? It's been over two months since they took it down, can't imagine a relatively small dev can handle losing the ability to sell a game they've spent a significant amount of money developing for that long. That's a bummer, literally went to buy it after reading a review on the day it got taken down. Must have been a couple hours too late.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

thebardyspoon posted:

That Devotion game is probably never going to see the light of day again is it? It's been over two months since they took it down, can't imagine a relatively small dev can handle losing the ability to sell a game they've spent a significant amount of money developing for that long. That's a bummer, literally went to buy it after reading a review on the day it got taken down. Must have been a couple hours too late.

As long as Winnie the Pooh and his cronies are running China, it will never see the light of day.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The third game in the series that is Downfall, The Cat Lady, and Lorelai is out on GOG & Steam. Pretty excited. Downfall was good, The Cat Lady was great. Hoping Lorelai gets some more attention.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is really cool! I don't know exactly when I'll be able to grab one but I'm planning to

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Yuppie Psycho came out yesterday, the second game from the makers of The Count Lucanor. I got it from the developers and played the first 90 minutes of it just now, and it's off to a really promising start, I was expecting it to open in a normal office and then things get gradually weirder but no, like Count Lucanor it gets going with the horror and weirdness almost immediately. You've got a really interesting goal for the game, and it takes you all over this super hosed up office building full of unsettling coworkers and stuff that should not be there. The writing is surprisingly good and the atmosphere is great, so I'd say definitely check it out if it looks at all interesting to you.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Observer really felt like some sort of short story set in the Blade Runner universe, I really enjoyed that game a lot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a good description. Seriously, that game is cyberpunk as hell, it's great.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Knorth posted:

This is really cool! I don't know exactly when I'll be able to grab one but I'm planning to

Hey, awesome! If you want a special color vinyl, I’d just pre-order it to reserve a copy. Won’t be sending invoices until May anyway.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Yuppie Psycho came out yesterday, the second game from the makers of The Count Lucanor. I got it from the developers and played the first 90 minutes of it just now, and it's off to a really promising start, I was expecting it to open in a normal office and then things get gradually weirder but no, like Count Lucanor it gets going with the horror and weirdness almost immediately. You've got a really interesting goal for the game, and it takes you all over this super hosed up office building full of unsettling coworkers and stuff that should not be there. The writing is surprisingly good and the atmosphere is great, so I'd say definitely check it out if it looks at all interesting to you.

Oh drat, this came out? Count Lucanor was rough but teeming was excellent ideas. I was pretty hype for this like, a year ago. Picking this up as soon as it hits GOG.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So that’s why I got the 25% coupon for Yuppie. Should probably finish Count Lucanor first tho.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thread question: what parts of Manhunt's design are worth preserving in other games?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread question: what parts of Manhunt's design are worth preserving in other games?

I only played the first game but all I remember was it being a mediocre stealth game with a grindhouse aesthetic which was novel in 2003 but Metal Gear Solid 2 and Splinter Cell came out years prior. I think if you were doing Manhunt today it would work best as a Hitman style game where the levels are huge sandboxes but where Hitman rewards for being stealthy and clean, Manhunt rewards you for being tortuously violent. Encourage the player to be as creative and cruel as possible as that is basically the most fun parts of Hitman despite being penalized for collateral damage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know, man. That sounds like an invitation for a bunch of Daikatana-style "your mom will hate this" advertising with a horrible game tacked to it as an afterthought.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know, man. That sounds like an invitation for a bunch of Daikatana-style "your mom will hate this" advertising with a horrible game tacked to it as an afterthought.

Yeah, Manhunt.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lol, ok, fair point.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As long as Winnie the Pooh and his cronies are running China, it will never see the light of day.

This loving bums me out because I loved Detention. Isn't it enough to just take the Winnie the Pooh joke out?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you were to make a Manhunt game, set it in the same time period. I feel like a lot of the interesting parts of the aesthetic are tied to the early 2000s.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Only part of Manhunt worth plucking was the dude in your ear ordering you around and very clearly getting off to it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

RichterIX posted:

This loving bums me out because I loved Detention. Isn't it enough to just take the Winnie the Pooh joke out?

They did that immediately, and have not been heard from since.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Grab a torrent while you can, I guess. :smith:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

How does it compare to Lucanor, gameplay/mechanics-wise? I thought Lucanor had awesome atmosphere and some really cool ideas, but in practice felt pretty janky and frustrating to play, at least when it came to some of the rooms in the castle.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

How does it compare to Lucanor, gameplay/mechanics-wise? I thought Lucanor had awesome atmosphere and some really cool ideas, but in practice felt pretty janky and frustrating to play, at least when it came to some of the rooms in the castle.

So far, much better. Instead of discrete puzzle rooms like Lucanor had, Yuppie Psycho has more logical tasks that fit the setting. For example, right now I need to get a book from the company library. I have to fill out a form just to access the library, which requires me to go to the archives. The info for the form is found in different departments, each of which has a different puzzle to solve like re-arranging stacks to get to a file.

It still uses a limited save mechanic, and I can't say how restrictive it'll be yet but I also haven't been in danger as often as I was just trying to get around the halls in Lucanor. Really Yuppie feels like an all-around improvement.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

If you were to make a Manhunt game, set it in the same time period. I feel like a lot of the interesting parts of the aesthetic are tied to the early 2000s.

So bad poo poo happened to me, time to do worse poo poo to anyone I think is responsible for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Crabtree posted:

So bad poo poo happened to me, time to do worse poo poo to anyone I think is responsible for it?
Worked for Condemned 2.