Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
No, in the one I’m thinking of it was literally a bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I tried to break the Batman thing into parts, by the way, and it's still overwhelming, and I hate the internet for not having answers about how to consume large quantities of trash the way that I want to.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm pretty sure you're talking about Batman: Snow, by the same guy who did Green Lantern: Weird World. That artist was a big loss, I'm at work or I'd look up his name but drat I loved that guys work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Seth Fisher?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Did this little bat sound like Paul Reubens at all?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TGG posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Batman: Snow, by the same guy who did Green Lantern: Weird World. That artist was a big loss, I'm at work or I'd look up his name but drat I loved that guys work.
this looks promising

e: yesssss

I think it's mostly just this panel that I wanted in my life, but I'll probably buy a trade because the rest of it looks interesting for different reasons
thank you friends

Cubone fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 25, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Seth Fisher was wonderful, you're in for a great time.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Kinda of a broad question, but who among comic book writers have pet characters for the Big 2? That is, characters they love writing and get super-protective of that it's very transparent in their work? It could also be for characters they didn't invent.

The few whom I know are:
Jim Starlin - Thanos (didn't he try to retcon a lot of stuff that he didn't like for Thanos?)
Steve Engleheart - Mantis (I read that he got really pissed with GOTG2)
Warren Ellis - Pete Wisdom (self-insert with a hard-on for Kitty Pryde)
Brian Michael Bendis - Jessica Jones and Miles Morales

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's a really broad question. Miles Morales was showing up in books written by other people pretty quick (he was in the last reboot of Ultimates before Secret Wars) and Bendis wasn't really shoving him into books that didn't warrant it, compared to Mantis. Pete Wisdom is the same character Warren Ellis has written under a dozen different names, he probably wouldn't really care what happened to him in a comic written by someone else, he'd just write the same thing with a new character, or transplant that archetype onto another character (I'm looking at you Karnak).

Was it Starlin who tried to do a a dumb retcon of Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos? I want to blame it on Dan Slott for some reason, but I might be thinking of dumb things about She-Hulk?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was Dan Slott in She-Hulk

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Skwirl posted:

That's a really broad question. Miles Morales was showing up in books written by other people pretty quick (he was in the last reboot of Ultimates before Secret Wars) and Bendis wasn't really shoving him into books that didn't warrant it, compared to Mantis. Pete Wisdom is the same character Warren Ellis has written under a dozen different names, he probably wouldn't really care what happened to him in a comic written by someone else, he'd just write the same thing with a new character, or transplant that archetype onto another character (I'm looking at you Karnak).

Was it Starlin who tried to do a a dumb retcon of Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos? I want to blame it on Dan Slott for some reason, but I might be thinking of dumb things about She-Hulk?

About Wisdom, I think the fact that Ellis wanted him to gently caress Kitty so badly added to the skeeviness factor, but yeah he has a voice he does when writing characters--even Steve Rogers in his short but sweet Secret Avengers run.

It's also funny that he wrote about how to write comics and he said something along the lines of "if you want to write comics just so you could write your favorite character, I will personally gently caress you up lol"

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 25, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Kinda of a broad question, but who among comic book writers have pet characters for the Big 2? That is, characters they love writing and get super-protective of that it's very transparent in their work? It could also be for characters they didn't invent.

The few whom I know are:

i've brought this up before on this forum but its still really funny to me that the very first thing that happens in X-Force when COUNTER X started was that Pete Wisdom shows up and convinces the entire team to abandon Domino and follow him and make him their new leader because he can teach them about the HARD TRUTHS and TOUGH DECISIONS of the world, and also because the team was grumbly about Domino making them train and learn how to fight hand to hand because they had just gone through a storyline where they lost their powers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Schneider Heim posted:

The few whom I know are:
Jim Starlin - Thanos (didn't he try to retcon a lot of stuff that he didn't like for Thanos?)

Jim Starlin had a few annuals he was writing and he jammed Adam Warlock and Thanos into them to continue his saga with the characters.

Wasn't Bendis really into writing Kitty Pryde? Hell, don't most writers really want to write Kitty?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

The few whom I know are:

There's a lot of "pet" characters where the writer latches onto them and uses them whenever possible. I don't know how "protective" that is since in many cases nobody else wants to use the character.

Stan Lee was insistent for a long time that if anyone used the Silver Surfer, he was the one who got to write his dialog.

Peter David always liked going back to Rick Jones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't call him a "pet character" but Scott Snyder seems to intend to write Batman comics (whether it's just him or him on a team) until someone takes the character from his cold dead hands

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Jim Starlin had a few annuals he was writing and he jammed Adam Warlock and Thanos into them to continue his saga with the characters.

Wasn't Bendis really into writing Kitty Pryde? Hell, don't most writers really want to write Kitty?

He wrote Ultimate Kitty Pryde a lot, and I guess she was in All New X-Men, but she wasn't the focus.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

He wrote Ultimate Kitty Pryde a lot, and I guess she was in All New X-Men, but she wasn't the focus.

He even had the neat idea of having Kitty mentor the Young X-Men even if it didn't go anywhere because much of that run never did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He put Kitty in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

He put Kitty in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Oh, yeah. That's where we got the joke of Kitty's type being guys named Peter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I thought she ended up dating a guy that looked like Bendis, but that may have just been the artist making a joke. That's where my thoughts went...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Bendis does briefly date Kong from Ultimate Spider-man who very much resembles Bendis from the start and Kitty Pryde is his favorite character

He denies the former though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Bendis does briefly date Kong from Ultimate Spider-man who very much resembles Bendis from the start and Kitty Pryde is his favorite character

He denies the former though.

Kong is a big bald guy, and Bendis is a short bald guy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Bendis does briefly date Kong from Ultimate Spider-man

Hmm.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

The few whom I know are:

Peter David: Doc Samson and Jamie Madrox
Garth Ennis: Superman and Etrigan
James Robinson: The Shade

All 3 are situations where the character is obviously very dear to the writer despite not having created them

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 25, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't call him a "pet character" but Scott Snyder seems to intend to write Batman comics (whether it's just him or him on a team) until someone takes the character from his cold dead hands

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Peter David: Doc Samson and Jamie Madrox
Garth Ennis: Superman and Etrigan
James Robinson: The Shade

All 3 are situations where the character is obviously very dear to the writer despite not having created them

I feel like Superman and Batman don't really count for this question.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

I feel like Superman and Batman don't really count for this question.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree. But Ennis usually shows such utter contempt for heroes (including Batman) that him being super keen on using Superman in a positive light in Hitman of all places (I think multiple times) stands out like a sore thumb.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Starlin seems like he has a story to tell with Thanos so I don’t mind the constant inclusion of that character.

Englehart is the loving worst with Mantis though. She comes in with a terrible speech gimmick and has an immediate identity crisis “this is the coolest and best character” moment where she tosses around the avenger heavies. I hate everything about her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Surprised no one's brought up how Geoff Johns loves Hal Jordan.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gail Simone also definitely likes writing Outlaw though I don't know if I would say it's to the point of calling her a pet character

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Gail Simone also definitely likes writing Outlaw though I don't know if I would say it's to the point of calling her a pet character

Yeah, she's happy when she gets to use Outlaw but I don't think she'd cram her into a story the way Englehart would with Mantis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The guy who created Nightwatch was constantly including him in everything he wrote for Marvel but I think he was just hoping his boring Spawn ripoff would be the next Venom and he could make a ton of cash.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The guy who created Nightwatch was constantly including him in everything he wrote for Marvel but I think he was just hoping his boring Spawn ripoff would be the next Venom and he could make a ton of cash.

I appreciated it when he was unceremoniously killed in the Clone Saga.

Then he was mysteriously alive again in the Soule She-Hulk series and was a villain in a really boring plot that managed to consume most of the series.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Terry Kavanagh's written so much stuff for Marvel I probably liked some of it somewhere but nothing I can particularly recall.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Nightwatch was created by Terry Kavanagh while he was writing Web of Spider-Man and used as a supporting character for part of that run. Then Nightwatch got his own series by Terry Kavanagh (which is a baffling thing) that lasted twelve issues (even more baffling!) and then got killed off a couple of years later, like Random Stranger mentioned. It was clearly a pet character, but it's not like Kavanagh shoehorned him into every book he wrote during that period, which turns out was a lot of aggressively forgettable comics.

Compare that to Steve Englehart and Mantis (which is unfair, Englehart/Mantis is the GOAT of this poo poo):

Introduces her and has her all but take over the Avengers book. He has her guest star in issues of Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel, and Doctor Strange he wrote.

When he quits Marvel to go over to DC in the late 1970s, he throws Mantis (as "Willow") into his Justice League run in order to basically go FYI THIS IS THE ONE TRUE STORY OF WHAT HAPPENS TO MANTIS, NOT WHATEVER MARVEL TELLS YOU

When he had quit both Marvel *and* DC he has her show up again (as "Lorelei") in a creator-owned book called Scorpio Rose to further tell the story of how actually this is what happens to Mantis, not whatever Marvel has been trying to tell you.

In the mid 1980s when he comes back to Marvel, he almost immediately (issue 3) reintroduces her (with her Willow/Lorelei continuity intact) as Silver Surfer's girlfriend. When he was asked not to focus Silver Surfer so much on Mantis, he added her to the West Coast Avengers which he was also writing, but the editor there changed some of her dialogue(??) so he quit West Coast Avengers, and tried to add Mantis to the Fantastic Four (his other Marvel book) but when they told him that he couldn't have her join the Fantastic Four he refused to have his name attached to the last six issues or so of his Fantastic Four run in protest and quit the company.

Checking his website to make sure I had the sequence correct, I forgot how pretty much his entire website's annotations/notes are essentially how either he's responsible for everything good that has happened in comics (the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Image Comics, Milestone Comics, the fact that Marvel still exists and didn't go under in the 1970s when Jack Kirby left, the X-Men as a popular franchise, etc.) are all pretty much because of him, and everything bad (he quit Marvel Comics in 1989, they went bankrupt "just four years later" at the end of 1996) happens when people don't listen to him.He also bitches that he didn't get to use Thanos when he wrote Silver Surfer, but for some reason when Jim Starlin took over the book six months, later he gets to use Thanos!

I also forgot his last Fantastic Four story essentially sets up the idea that he wrote the last REAL Fantastic Four/Marvel Comics, and everything that has happened since he left is some weird Black Mercy/VR/dream forced upon innocents by a nostalgia-crazed Rogue Watcher.

Anyway yeah, I know no one can compare to Steve Englehart in this. He came back to Marvel in 2001 when Quesada/Jemas were trying to mend a bunch of fences and did an eight issue mini-series SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT about Mantis and telling the stories he meant to tell in the 1980s and also implies this is a big part of why Marvel turned around in the early 21st century and why the Avengers film franchise turned into such a big hit. But "writer introduces character in supporting role of book he's writing, spins off into another series" is so common that I don't know if it counts for this. Spider-Man alone had about ten of these in the 1990s.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

another one I'd put in the "Creator is enthusiastic to use them when possible" category is Greg Pak and Amadeus Cho

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Terry Kavanagh crowbarred Nightwatch into the already overcrowded Maximum Carnage crossover, completely derailing the plot for the issues he wrote.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

another one I'd put in the "Creator is enthusiastic to use them when possible" category is Greg Pak and Amadeus Cho

True but in that case it's not insufferable.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

The few whom I know are:

Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I honestly wonder how Englehart got so much run because a lot of his stuff is in general pretty bad, and when it's not mysteriously there multiple writers listed on the issue. I feel like maybe he had a lot of ideas that he was able to get out there quickly, but it usually took some collaboration to get those ideas to be palatable. Which, hey, I can relate to.

He may not be totally wrong about the MCU since so much of the Thanos stuff that a lot of this stems from came from him and Starlin working together. But if I remember correctly those are credited as Englehart scripting which sort of implies that Starlin was coming up with the main ideas.