Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ultimately to me the casting matters less than getting Susumu Hirasawa back for the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Viridiant posted:

Man some of you have a very different read on Berserk than I do. Through all the dark, awful stuff that's happened it's seemed to me there's always been an undercurrent of hope and I'm fairly sure that the note it'll end on is a hopeful one.

That's my read on it. It has a solid feeling of "never give up" too that is quite fulfilling.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Tom Hardy for Guts?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

AzureSkys posted:

Tom Hardy for Guts?

He could def pull off the range you need while seeming like a terrifying mother fucker. Not sure if you can get him huge enough for the role tho. Guts is a massive human being.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Not as huge as Grunbeld or Zodd. You're gonna need a lot of tall, musclar people for Berserk in general.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was gonna say, I think Tom Hardy works. He did a p good job making Bane look intimidating in TDK and Bane is always potrayed to be a huuuge mofo. Gotta have compromises at least.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah people like Schwarzenegger and The Rock and rarities. Albeit Guts's physique is fairly grounded compared to other Seinin protagonists.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its berserk, we're not trying to make loving live action Baki or some sort of meat muscle creature.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly Guts just needs to be huge so the Dragon Slayer can be comic-accurate and not look ridiculous.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Maybe Steven Adams from the Oklahoma City Thunder would be ok with shaving his beard to play Guts

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 22, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bautista is 50. Tom Hardy is 41.

I get that Guts has a bit of premature aging going on, but still.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly Guts just needs to be huge so the Dragon Slayer can be comic-accurate and not look ridiculous.

The Dragon Slayer is gonna look ridiculous regardless.

It'll also have to be made of like really light plastic because lol at anyone actually swinging around an unbalanced 100 pound mass of metal.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Björnsson for Pippin

e: wait nvm it's Black Swordsman arc we are talking about

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
WARNING HUGE :words: EFFORT POST INCOMING

Good soup! posted:

Did you pass the fight between Boscogn and Guts because lmao forever at that utterly pointless and hilarious change they made to the ending of it

I actually didn't mind this change that much. Compromises had to be made and maybe at that point the studio already knew they weren't going past the Golden Age arc, so cutting off Zodd's scene wouldn't be as big as a deal if you didn't have to later reincorporate him respecting Guts. It was silly yeah, because the whole flag-jutsu took just as much amount of time as Zodd throwing his sword.

Around the end of movie 2 I realised what was off with the movies to me. Having watched the 97 anime and reading the manga so recently I didn't notice it at first since I knew these characters, their past and their motivations. But when Guts was leaving the Band of the Hawk and Casca was conflicted over who to side with I started thinking "...but why???"

Why does movieCasca care about wether movieGuts stays or leaves? In the manga and 97 anime Casca opens up to Guts after they fall to the river and tells him why he joined Griffith and how she feels about him yet understands she could never be with him. Then the Bonfire of Dreams is the breaking point where Casca realizes Guts is not just a rabid dog like she thought he was and the way she sees him starts to change. As it was pointed out by someone else, this moment WAS a huge deal for Casca

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How it looked to us

What it was to her

Funny little panel turned out super important and I love it

The dancing scene that precedes Guts' departure, while wholesome (because GDI Guts deserves at least a moment of happines in one reality), ends up cementing Casca's feelings for Griffith even more than being used as an opportunity to connect with Guts.

So by the point of the 3rd movie when they both have sex, while the scenery and the way it's portrayed is beautiful, the romance just isn't there. It ended up feeling like they both had too much going on in their heads so screw it, we might die tomorrow, let's gently caress. Granted, that was also probably what was going on in the manga/97 anime too, but there was also the emotional part. Guts opening up to Casca and revealing his past to her, and Casca comforting him.

And then following this line of thought lead me to realize that I also didn't care that much about movieGuts since his past is reduced to a 30 second shaking cam seizure inducing flashback trip and never adressed again. His slowly warming up to the band of the Hawk is also heavily toned down. Same goes for Casca and her past, her feelings towards Griffith and her jealousy of Princess Charlotte.

As I was watching the movies I liked them because I already knew this story, and I respected and loved the sense of grandeur the studio tried to give them with the battles, the scenery and the music. But for someone whose first experience with Berserk is just the movies, they move too fast from plot beat to plot beat without taking the time to let you know or care about the characters.

I think that if each movie had 20 more minutes all these issues could have probably been fixed.

To summarise the movies looked nice and you can tell a huge effort went to them (unlike the 2016/17 piece of crap)but it lacks the heart that makes Berserk what it is.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, they were playing with animation the team seems to have been not as skilled with but had the capacity to really go the distance with in theory, unlike 97 where limited animation was utilized all the time so we need to have story carry that weight-load the actual drawings just couldn't half the time. If the loving JoJo team and really good directors got involved, 3D berserk wouldn't be an issue.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
2 more days :derp:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Berserk is not currently scheduled for May 24th issue of Young Animal so sadly, it might be another hiatus (even if only a shorter one) after this issue.

It's monthly so it's not likely to be on the one a fortnight from now, especially with Golden Week.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Holy poo poo Rickert meeting Griffith again. :stare:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
You are approaching one of the most satisfying moments in the manga. So much so that now I have to go and read that whole segment again

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I will say is that the movies' take on the start of the Eclipse is spectacular.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Very good long effort post. Everything between the splash in the river and the bonfire establishes the next hundred chapters. Guts identifies his true character and Casca hers. At that point, what we've known has been acknowledged: Griffith stands between them.

(Go back and compare 97, the movies, and the manga: Cave, 100 man battle, bonfire.)

Their later reconciliation happens because Griffith has been removed from the picture. Certainly Casca wishes to save him, but her understanding of Griffith has changed. Guts finds the same and, thinking of him as a friend, wants to save him as well.

Now, what will the next reconciliation be? Casca returns, Griffith has shown his true colors and Guts his.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

You are approaching one of the most satisfying moments in the manga. So much so that now I have to go and read that whole segment again

The biggest pimp gangster in fiction. Rickert is my mf'ing BOY

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfD7nScwPb8

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Bitch slap so powerful I don't know why it didn't separate the astral from the real world again.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

its just so genius. like, for all griffith did, that was the most satisfying response.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Yowza, this is by far the wordiest chapter in Berserk history, and I won't be able to even start on it until late this evening... This might take a while.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh snaps.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh hell yes, exposition chapters own

praying for your sanity, LordMune

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Caska has a lot to say I guess.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Harlock posted:

Ha!

Caska.

You're an optimist

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Harlock posted:

Bold to assume it's not gonna be a Griffith chapter.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The untranslated scans are already on reddit if you want to peek.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
To preview or not. Tis always the question.

I think I'll wait for our own LordM. I have patience and would rather wait if it's heavy on the dialogue.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh.. well I'll be damned. But yea I'll just wait til Lord M is done.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whheeeeeeeellllp. Chances are this is gonna be one of the most important chapters of Berserk, so I'm NOT gonna spoiler myself

...this time

Please keep the thread clean until then :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i can't believe [spoiler]wyald is alive and joining the party[/spioler]

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Might as well try here, anyone knows where I could buy the physical volumes in Argentina? I tried 2 different stores and they didn't have them :(

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Piqued we are and peek I shall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I go into this thread and now I can't stop slamming my desk screaming BERSERK! BERSERK!