Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there anything I'd be missing out on by abolishing the council? I've managed to revoke enough of their powers away I could just abolish the council completely by buying a couple of favours.

Permanent vassal relationship malus? Miss out on events? Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no, not really (you get more intrigues with favors happening when the council means something but that's it), and yes if you are not at a steady state empire level, respectively.

if you are at a steady state empire level the council can be helpful, but beyond that it mostly gets in your way.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

Is there anything I'd be missing out on by abolishing the council? I've managed to revoke enough of their powers away I could just abolish the council completely by buying a couple of favours.

handing out council titles helps sometimes but really there's not much difference between a neutered council and no council

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Away all Goats posted:

The worst thing is that you loose those advisor spots, so is gonna get harder to keep all your strong vassals on council, which means a couple of them will always be mad at you

Also makes the game more boring, IMO. I only do it when Im ruling a huge empire and need imperial laws for that sweet +25 vassal limit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Firing up the Let's Learn CK2 stream again here in the next few minutes: Come on by!

e: jesus, tonight was probably the most grueling session of CK2 i have ever played.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 23, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Hey why isn't there a mod that replaces the army / council member sprites on the map with cool little wooden icons like an old-timey strategy map? Just thought how cool that would be.

Or at least a mod that makes the sprites way smaller so they don't fill up the map so much when zoomed in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is this a NATO counters joke?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Would unironically love NATO counters :shobon:

There are map and font mods to make the game look pretty nice, but these giant ugly 3D dudes from 2012 are bumming me out. Would love like a nice wooden counter of a horse or something to represent armies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the old Total War games where armies on the overworld where figurines that you moved around the map like the world was a board game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

luxury handset posted:

handing out council titles helps sometimes but really there's not much difference between a neutered council and no council

There's actually a very significant difference - you can't enforce realm peace without a council. This means you can't change succession law in any reasonably sized realm without instituting a law that stops vassals declaring internal war. That will give you a malus, and also takes away the strategy of letting vassals fight each other instead of you.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile in Ireland, a fourth revolt sprung up demanding the Kingdom of Wales. I went "Sure", which handed Distant Kinsman the kingdom (I kept my counties) but got rid of the third revolt who had armies sitting in my country :v:

Then a fifth revolt pops up demanding Ireland. Then Scotland declares they want one of the border counties now technically belonging to one of my revolting vassals, so they're at war with them and hostile to me (though they seem content to just keep 6000 troops parked in said border county and doing nothing useful like, I dunno...attacking the vassal attacking me). Meanwhile the king has gotten out of his regency finally, and we have a Crusade looming in two months.

...uh, I don't suppose the Crusade triggering would do anything about all these ongoing vassal revolts?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man I've been going down the mod rabbit hole today... Would people recommend CK2+? I'm someone who has been going back to CK2 every year or so since release but never felt like I properly mastered it.

I like the look of some of the extra stuff CK2+ adds but don't really want anything half-working or buggy... Especially if I don't know the game well enough to even tell if something is working properly or not. (I remember having this issue with the civil war mechanic in the early versions of the GoT mod)

e: any other no-brainer improvement mods like Better Looking Garbs?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

fuf posted:

Your Personal Castle is good. I've messed around with Flogi's Buildings and Technology as well, and while it adds some cool stuff you can get a little too op for my tastes.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fuf posted:

man I've been going down the mod rabbit hole today... Would people recommend CK2+? I'm someone who has been going back to CK2 every year or so since release but never felt like I properly mastered it.

I like the look of some of the extra stuff CK2+ adds but don't really want anything half-working or buggy... Especially if I don't know the game well enough to even tell if something is working properly or not. (I remember having this issue with the civil war mechanic in the early versions of the GoT mod)

I would recommend getting to know vanilla better first

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Alright makes sense. I'll stick to cosmetic stuff. I did add the personal castle one though, and also "richer childhood".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Meanwhile in Ireland, one of my two remaining attackers dies a natural death, booting his army out of my country. The Crusade triggers. Which just causes my two remaining headaches (the other revolting vassal and Scotland, who is not at war with me but still content sitting his biggish army in the nearby contested territory) to be at war with me *and* with our Crusade opponent.

...which makes the current problem, I still have to boot this idiot vassal out of my land (made more complicated by the fact I apparently can't call for peace while Scotland is still on the occupied border county), but from prior experience, I only have so much time before the Pope will get whiny and start eating my Piety for not sending troops overseas.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Just send a batch of 20 dudes or whatever over. Also triggers the crusader trait for +2 martial on the commander. Then just bring them back if you want to bother.

Don't forget commanders teleport so you can rotate your dudes through for the trait

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just a heads up, you can and should be bribing your regent constantly.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I can't get the map to upload but I like this playthough a lot. Started in the HIP Old Gods 867 as a Norse pagan, took Brittany and Normandy from France in an invasion a hundred years down the line, now Normandy is a part of the Kingdom of Brittany, I have my own bloodline and Karl's, and the world is turning out pretty neat.

France is split into me (Normandy + Brittany, Artois, parts of Poitou, Anjou, and all of Alenson), France itself (Ille de France and the surrounding areas to the German border), Burgundy, and Aquitaine. The Holy Roman Empire FINALLY formed in 1029 by Bonifacus the Restorer, almost exactly in its historical borders - it extends just a wee bit more east than usual and includes Poland despite my best efforts to keep them out. We just won a crusade for Iberia, so there's a huge Catholic Al-Andalus along with the remnants of the Ummayads and some crusader states in the north. Italy is split between the HRE and a Lombard Sicily. The Seljuks in Persia and the Abbasids in Arabia are going at it hard. And lastly Russia is the same scramble of countries it always turns out to be in this start date.

So fitting this alternate reality perfectly, its 1036 and a courtier by the name of Robert "The Wolf" de Hauteville has just showed up. He's a badass with great stats, duelist, and a ton of battle experience. Any suggestions on what to do with him? Ideally I'd like to put him in Sicily, but I'm not sure how to do that without him having a claim. I could just conquer it, but that'll take forever and he's already 37. I don't have any available lands in Normandy (just like IRL!) and my borders with France and Aquitaine aren't changing any time soon. Maybe a crusade? But my possible beneficiaries are always old ladies of my dynasty, so that's probably out. It would've been neat if he came with claims, or was an adventurer or something...maybe that's how he originally appeared, I don't know. Anyway I don't know if HIP spawned him purposely or if he's just a really weird historical coincidence. Thanks, as always for reading my post

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It is the dawn of the 14th century

France has split off from the Holy Roman Empire headed by the Naddoðr dynasty which traces its origins to Naddoður who was the firt man to lay eyes upon Iceland (which he named Snæland or "Snowland") and the first to settle the Faroe Islands. The dynasty have been the kings of Norway for a century or so after taking control from the Karlings which had long lost the Empire but clinged to power in Norway. The Karlings are now back in control of the HRE but not much remains of the empire and the borders aren´t very pretty. The Aztecs have basically given up. The English have reclaimed England from the Hausa conquerors of the British Empire but they're Fraticelli so they're not likely to last long.

the Latin Empire has converted to Sunni Islam (which has a moral authority of about 12) and holds a tiny scrap of land in the northern Levant and the barony of Constantinople

the Mongols have converted to Judaism

I sent a thank you note to myself for some reason

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have some hardcoded mind goblins playing CK2. I feel inclined to change everyone's coat of arms and flags into something more aesthetically pleasing, and to code in more pregnancies amongst small families at game start, so theres more dynasts. And then I rarely venture past 5 years into a campaign, after having achieved my first steps to domination

(My prince is now the ruling Sultan! I've won my first holy war! Time to never touch this again!) :suicide:
I don't get why I do the latter.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This is proving to be an annoying war. So I beat the Irish revolt down to a point where I'm at 92% warscore, but I cannot actually *end* the war because Scotland ran around occupying all the revolt territories while I was busy, and apparently wars will just last forever in the event of a third party holding your enemy's stuff. Meanwhile Yet Another Revolt springs up, some random vassal who has me outnumbered 2:1. My only saving grace there is that he is literally neighboring my army, so I could theoretically attack him anyway and hope the fact he currently has no morale (he just raised the troops, no time to build the meter) would outstrip the fact he has twice as many guys. Unsure of how that works.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

This is proving to be an annoying war. So I beat the Irish revolt down to a point where I'm at 92% warscore, but I cannot actually *end* the war because Scotland ran around occupying all the revolt territories while I was busy, and apparently wars will just last forever in the event of a third party holding your enemy's stuff. Meanwhile Yet Another Revolt springs up, some random vassal who has me outnumbered 2:1. My only saving grace there is that he is literally neighboring my army, so I could theoretically attack him anyway and hope the fact he currently has no morale (he just raised the troops, no time to build the meter) would outstrip the fact he has twice as many guys. Unsure of how that works.

It works exactly like this. It's a good idea to attack him right now if the new army really has no morale. And you might consider settling for white peace with that revolt, if it gets them off your back and makes you able to concentrate on Scotland.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

for most revolts the only thing you lose out on with white peace vs surrender is imprisoning the leader of the revolt, which you can probably sort out later anyway. i practically guarantee he will start plotting almost immediately after the war ends, and when he does you have just cause to throw him in prison. just make sure you have a good spymaster.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah I mean, the issue is I cannot do anything to end the first revolt. Can't declare a win, can't White Peace, can't even surrender because Scotland.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh one of THOSE bullshit situations.

so the actual solution there is to just ignore the revolter completely and deal with other problems. ticking warscore won't apply in that situation so your the only recourse is to end the war with scotland or wait for your opponent to raise another army to smash. they probably won't do the latter if they are fully occupied, so the good news there is that they are effectively neutralized.

definitely smash that bigger army before they can organize, btw. if their morale caps out you are boned. if you hit them now you might kill enough soldiers in the pursuit phase to even the odds out and avoid having to hire mercs or do something else that's weird.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I just started trying out nomads for the first time and so far the most miserable part is having to hand out the 100+ barony tier titles after a full invasion. Is there a better way of handing out titles other than clicking on the province, and right clicking on the holding, hitting the tiny "give to vassal" button, and repeating it 100 times over? I've taken over Super Bulgaria, Byzantium and Italy, and I'm kind of dreading having to do more.

Apart from that, the current run is pretty fun. I went from wanting to try out the new christian mechanics while having raiding available as Hungarian culture, to just wanting to see what Hellenism is all about.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MuffinsAndPie posted:

give to vassal

You're hitting the wrong button. Why are you letting buildings get in the way of your grazing lands?? Weaken the 8 other clans down to one county and keep all the land for yourself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's an intrigue decision to ask for help managing your titles when you are way over your demense limit. in most cases it's not worth doing but in this one case it's probably worthwhile.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

You're hitting the wrong button. Why are you letting buildings get in the way of your grazing lands?? Weaken the 8 other clans down to one county and keep all the land for yourself.

I read that all nomad lands will split away once you settle down, so I've been avoiding making even more by not razing everything so far. And I actually did end up in a situation where I looked and saw how every clan leader was at -100 with me for too much land, and also all in a plot to take my head. I felt safe keeping my land when I was able to have an easy enough reason to imprison nearly all of them when they declined to stop backing that plot.

Coolguye posted:

there's an intrigue decision to ask for help managing your titles when you are way over your demense limit. in most cases it's not worth doing but in this one case it's probably worthwhile.

It's not popping up for me and it's either one of two reasons I think. Either it's because I'm at war still, or because I'm a nomad. I'm crossing my fingers that it's the former. If not, I guess I can try taking all the land required to form Rome to become hellenic, become Feudal, and then click that intrigue button from there. All of my clan leaders absolutely loathe me, but the 300 individual bronze-tier barons, priests, and mayors seem fine with the situation. That being the case, I guess the most I'll have to worry about is just the fact that I probably won't get any tax income from any of them.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Coolguye posted:

doesn't that usually result in the councilor taking all the good poo poo for himself and his friends and leaving you with bad stuff? Which is not that unexpected I guess.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

When i send a councilor to stir poo poo with vassals, do I want to place it in the capital of the highest title, like the king's capital, or in the dukes under him capitals?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

doesn't that usually result in the councilor taking all the good poo poo for himself and his friends and leaving you with bad stuff? Which is not that unexpected I guess.

yes, but do YOU want to manually hand out literally hundreds of baronies?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

yes, but do YOU want to manually hand out literally hundreds of baronies?
There's literally a button to auto-generate a baron level vassal on a holding that's a single click and if you just give out country -> Duchy you don't have to give more than baron -> Count -> Duke

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, that went poorly. Attacking the nearby Irish revolt actually did manage to boop him out of my land momentarily because of his lack of morale...but he barely lost any troops for it, so he promptly retreated off through Scotland, came back like a couple of days later and beat the poo poo out of me. Now I have another random faction sitting at 130% strength, and the first revolt is still toddering around at 100% warscore because Scotland owns one contested county I cannot sit in long enough to reoccupy.

Sigh. I'm thinking this is where I just start a new game (a non-Iron Man one), facing endless attacks from revolts twice as big as me is Not Fun.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 25, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sixty years into feudalism and chill and if you were to ask me who died and made me king of Carinthia I'd have to answer no fuckin clue

This is fun

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I have no idea how the AI decides who gets to be Byzantine emperor. While the old emperor is alive it's generally his firstborn shown as the heir, but then five years later the title goes to some rando I've never seen before.

All the other king level titles around me have shattered into a million little duchies.

And I still don't know what territory I need for the empire of the Outremer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my experience, if the vassals dont like their liege, they will vote for some rando out of spite

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Bright side, now that I somewhat have a grasp on the mechanics, it isn't all that difficult to gain Ireland from scratch Earlship. Fabricate claim on the nearest county, build money while that triggers. Merc him to death. Build money. Declare duchy. Do it once more and no one else in Ireland can keep up.

...just gotta remember to never put my idiot king out on the battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

pidan posted:

And I still don't know what territory I need for the empire of the Outremer.

The entire Arabian peninsula -- so the de jure kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, al-Jazira, and then the duchy of Sinai. Egypt is optional, but if you control it when you form the empire it becomes de jure Outremer, and it's probably the richest kingdom in the entire game so you definitely want it.

You have to control the *entire* peninsula, so once you've met the de jure requirements it's time to go snipe hunting for random baronies. Expelling whatever Catholic holy order you don't have vassalized takes care of most of them, but there'll probably be the stray castle controlled by the Hashashin or some European kingdom that inherited it from one of your vassals. If you're not on Ironman just console yourself the baronies you need because gently caress that noise.

After that, congrats, you've basically beaten the game. Have fun using your new +20% damage to religious enemies bloodline to dunk on the Mongols or Timurids when they show up.