Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gender-locking is real bad and I find it hard to believe there is any sort of coding reason for it.
It is comprehensible (not the same as defensible) to me why they would lock some of the fancy dresses or hypothetical similarly-elaborate-for-dudes outfits. But it seems a lot more widespread than that.

e: glam shot tax, me and Tataru judging someone

Nessus fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
PBC seems to be getting lots of new faces.

I am happy about this. Keep them coming.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gender-locking is real bad and I find it hard to believe there is any sort of coding reason for it.
Optimistically speaking the armor in ffxiv is actually modeled (unlike WoW's "slap a texture on half your body, it's done") and the different sexes of a race have different models and skeletons so there's definitely extra work making glamour-only stuff usable by everyone. If it's something elaborate and strongly gender-coded it does save some time to not bother making versions of it for characters that wouldn't likely use it often.

... In practice though it's just because Square is a Japanese company and they don't want to see dudes in dresses. :effort:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Asimo posted:

... In practice though it's just because Square is a Japanese company and they don't want to see dudes in dresses. :effort:

Hildibrand.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I stand corrected.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's a stronger argument for the Vierra/Hrothgar thing because they have to go over the vast majority of the old armor/clothing models and try and minimize clipping/graphical issues on things.

A single piece of gear is a lot easier to do but that's still a bundle of effort to make it nice with all the racial body types.

The modeling thing, not the guys in dress thing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If anything I'm kind of under the impression that cross-dressing is a lot more common in Japanese media than western media overall, even outside of fetish material.

Like, Final Fantasy VII was literally a Square game and it has what's probably the most famous instance of a man wearing a dress in the history of video games.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 25, 2019

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pissed as hell when I found out that the Rainbow/High House Justaucorps was male only.

Coincidentally, this is also how I found out that Ardashir, the person who teams up with Gerolt for the Anima Weapon quests in HW....was a boy. :downs:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kanfy posted:

If anything I'm kind of under the impression that cross-dressing is a lot more common in Japanese media than western media overall, even outside of fetish material..
American? Yes. WESTERN? No.

:britain:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I was pissed as hell when I found out that the Rainbow/High House Justaucorps was male only
The female version is also good, there aren't a lot of affordable full dresses that look okay.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lol at the "I don't know how to explain to you that women enjoy wearing pants" comment, it's seriously crazy at this point

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kanfy posted:

If anything I'm kind of under the impression that cross-dressing is a lot more common in Japanese media than western media overall, even outside of fetish material.

Like, Final Fantasy VII was literally a Square game and it has what's probably the most famous instance of a man wearing a dress in the history of video games.

Anecdotally Nintendo seems very cool about it. Animal Crossing let dudes wear skirts from the 3DS and both the Switch Mario and Zelda let you crossdress and treated it fairly cooly.

Like I'm not saying Japan's conservative old executives are better than Americas but they do seem more open to greenlighting players doing what they want in this instance.

On the other hand Persona.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
More leg more better when it comes to all outfits.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuckin' hells yeah

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

:sigh: Some day, there will be pants.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
I know Excal is the big server, but are any of you goons on Aether? Got a few pals on Sarg and it's fun to sit an BS with them in discord but we are a small FC and I'm looking for more people to party with now that I'm 70. Hoping to actually get into some of the endgame content as I'm wrapping up the patch msq stuff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Female Bard AF5 will be them dressed as a single kneesock. Please look forwards to it!

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Fureil posted:

I know Excal is the big server, but are any of you goons on Aether?

I'm on Faerie here. Feona Elgrande is my character's name.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Fureil posted:

I know Excal is the big server, but are any of you goons on Aether? Got a few pals on Sarg and it's fun to sit an BS with them in discord but we are a small FC and I'm looking for more people to party with now that I'm 70. Hoping to actually get into some of the endgame content as I'm wrapping up the patch msq stuff.

I'm on Cactuar with some friends! I'm Sive Muirin.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can only imagine that the squenix art offices have Zettai ryōiki painted over the employee entrance in bright red.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It seems like the short skirt/shorts and thigh high combo is now the default option for female outfits. I swear it’s way more common than it used to be. I guess I should be glad they didn’t do that to Noctis’s outfit, which is good as hell.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

rantmo posted:

loving hell, I'm not sure I've ever encountered a company that makes it so loving hard to give them money as Squeenix. What a dreadful matryoshka of linked accounts and logins and sites that don't talk to each other. I worked it out but it took like 20 minutes to buy the full game license.

If you this is bad, FF11 is pretty much every early 2000s bad decision in making an account ever. (Too be changed for the better soon, supposedly)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

This music will forever be associated with pain.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fureil posted:

Still considering a move to Excal, but Aldous Dracht on Siren for now.

I've got friends on Excal, friends on the Crystal DC, and I really like the Aether community. It's a real tough situation.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Rastan Beeza posted:

If you this is bad, FF11 is pretty much every early 2000s bad decision in making an account ever. (Too be changed for the better soon, supposedly)

Do we have any info on how they plan to change XI accounts? This is the first I'm hearing of it, and I'm curious. One of the reasons I had to stop playing XI years back was because their account restrictions were always really irritating to deal with. I don't think I'd go back to the game at this point still, but I'd still be happy to hear they're working on fixes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Givin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

This music will forever be associated with pain.

I spent so much time in high school cursing this music

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

One of the things that got me to play was that the same outfit on men and women were supposed to be roughly equivalent. Like short skirt -> short shorts. Maybe I just haven't noticed but I feel like this holds true for older stuff but less so for newer sets :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've gotten 10k payouts in mini cactpot 4 days in a row. Today I got 10k plus two 3600s. If you want me to pick some lottery numbers for you, I'll be waiting out in the lobby.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Someone in the Warframe Discord said that SE had specifically said that they were moving towards sexier armour on women (ie more gender difference), but I haven't seen anything about it elsewhere. Does anyone know of an interview or something mentioning it?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

That bard AF4 looks great (setting aside pants vs booty shorts discussion), it seems like they're going with kind of reiterating on the original art style in the game with a darker tone, and I'm down. I'm guessing we'll probably see the concept art for other AF4 released leading up to the next live letter, since we'll see them all in game in that live letter?

Also I'm a big fan of the super aggressive bridge in DGKK's front yard.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Xun posted:

One of the things that got me to play was that the same outfit on men and women were supposed to be roughly equivalent. Like short skirt -> short shorts. Maybe I just haven't noticed but I feel like this holds true for older stuff but less so for newer sets :(

They made a big deal at EU fanfest about basically wanting to explicitly break this trend and have been making a slow push towards it through all of stormblood.

Zandar posted:

Someone in the Warframe Discord said that SE had specifically said that they were moving towards sexier armour on women (ie more gender difference), but I haven't seen anything about it elsewhere. Does anyone know of an interview or something mentioning it?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373886703?t=02h09m27s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That bard AF4 looks great (setting aside pants vs booty shorts discussion), it seems like they're going with kind of reiterating on the original art style in the game with a darker tone, and I'm down. I'm guessing we'll probably see the concept art for other AF4 released leading up to the next live letter, since we'll see them all in game in that live letter?

Also I'm a big fan of the super aggressive bridge in DGKK's front yard.

If this is their goal, I wonder what they can do with BLM.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
If I move to excalibur from Marlboro will I lose my road to 60 buff? I'm at 57 on my highest guy anyway so it's probably not too big of a deal to lose. I'm in some super tiny guild that almost never has any guild buffs up, and I would probably have more fun playing with goons anyway.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Fureil posted:

I know Excal is the big server, but are any of you goons on Aether?

I'm on Gilgamesh and would have already transferred to excal if I didn't have all my RL friends on this server. And a house.

Names Feisty Catfish, hmu if you're looking for someone to cast flare a bunch

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pants are a sign of oppression, and I would rather die then not let myself air out below the waist.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Emalde posted:

They made a big deal at EU fanfest about basically wanting to explicitly break this trend and have been making a slow push towards it through all of stormblood.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373886703?t=02h09m27s

Didn't they say the art team was "uncomfortable" with male vieras as well? Sounds like they (or whoever is blaming the artists) are a bunch of sexist pricks and I'm really disappointed they're moving this way. I like having the choice between being a caster in a miniskirt and thigh high boots or a badass classic black mage and it sucks that they've decided that as a female player I have to wear skirts and be pretty.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ciaphas posted:

If this is their goal, I wonder what they can do with BLM.

AF1 but pre-dyed jet black

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zandar posted:

I read that SE as DE first and was extremely confused, what with nezha and hildryn lmao

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

The rudest part of this is that the pants have a dope bird and the shorts have loving nothing besides that ugly mid-90s flare style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Xun posted:

Didn't they say the art team was "uncomfortable" with male vieras as well? Sounds like they (or whoever is blaming the artists) are a bunch of sexist pricks and I'm really disappointed they're moving this way. I like having the choice between being a caster in a miniskirt and thigh high boots or a badass classic black mage and it sucks that they've decided that as a female player I have to wear skirts and be pretty.

My least favorite part of this is that the icons are always the male version. So I see it and think I'm going to get some cute pants this time, but no! Shorts and thigh highs again.

One of the reasons this game appealed to me in the first place was because the female characters and outfits weren't ultra-sexy while the male ones were always in full armor, unlike a lot of other MMOs. So it's disappointing that they seem to slowly be moving in this direction. They could at least make the shorts cute.

edit: the spring shorts are the main exception to this. They are actually cute while the mens version is ugly and I feel bad for them.