Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Tiggum posted:

I played (and enjoyed) the Desperate Housewives game. As I recall it was sort of Sims-like, but with a plot? Also it was incredibly buggy and I was never able to finish it because it broke.

Added that game to my "Senseless Curiosity" list. I'll check it out sometime if I ever find it cheap.

Screaming Idiot posted:

what the gently caress did they do to MetalGreymon and why the gently caress is he not blue

That's RizeGreymon. Normal MetalGreymon looks the same as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

what the gently caress did they do to MetalGreymon and why the gently caress is he not blue

You know how every pokemon generation has its on new version of Pikachu? Digimon does that with Augumon evolutions.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I really wish I could see it that way. That sounds awesome.

Something like this (it took me a few seconds to click, but can't unsee now)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jim DiGriz posted:

Alright, I laughed pretty hard. Looks like a loving Wallace and Gromit character. Thank you for helping me see the beauty in 3D modeling.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ariong posted:

When I first saw the photo, I thought Retenter had a really goofy cartoon face. I saw the teeth as eyes (with the teeth themselves as the whites and the two gaps as pupils), the chin as a big bulbous nose, and the blue line as a smiling mouth. In fact, I’m finding it hard to not see it that way.

Until this post i didn't realize that wasn't what it actually was. I had serious questions about what was going on in the crotchal(?) region

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

It happens. Though now I'm wondering if there are any Soap Opera videogames.

Edit: There are, and one of them is a Grey's Anatomy game on the Nintendo DS and Wii.

Tangentially related, but if I were ever to make a video game I'd want it to be a romantic comedy fighting game. Just turn all the absurd conflicts from those movies into actual fistfights.

I'm gonna main the gay best friend. Boss character is the disapproving father.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Edit: There are, and one of them is a Grey's Anatomy game on the Nintendo DS and Wii.

Yakuza is soap opera

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Ariong posted:

When I first saw the photo, I thought Retenter had a really goofy cartoon face. I saw the teeth as eyes (with the teeth themselves as the whites and the two gaps as pupils), the chin as a big bulbous nose, and the blue line as a smiling mouth. In fact, I’m finding it hard to not see it that way.

This is like one of those magic eye pictures except I can actually see it, and it's loving hilarious

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh good, it wasn't just me that saw the teeth-eyes at first glance. I even know what RizeGreymon looks like and I needed a second glance to parse it properly.

Jim DiGriz posted:

This is a work of art and let no-one tell you otherwise :allears:.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I mean the writing is batshit insane enough to be video game writing, with people coming back from the dead and evil twins and all that. I'd (sadly) probably play a general hospital game.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yakuza is soap opera

Basically this.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh god he looks like Larry the cucumber.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Tangentially related, but if I were ever to make a video game I'd want it to be a romantic comedy fighting game. Just turn all the absurd conflicts from those movies into actual fistfights.

I'm gonna main the gay best friend. Boss character is the disapproving father.

The team that made La Mulana also made a flash game called Rose And Camellia, where you play a newly widowed woman who married into old money, and you progress by elegantly slapping the bejesus out of your haughty inlaws

There's also a sequel but I never played that

Phy has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Apr 25, 2019

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phy posted:

The team that made La Mulana also made a flash game called Rose And Camellia, where you play a newly widowed woman who married into old money, and you progress by elegantly slapping the bejesus out of your haughty inlaws

There's also a sequel but I never played that

I remember that game. The last(?) boss is impossible. I don't remember if it was the ghost of the first wife or what. I think the one I played was all in Japanese, so I was a touch lost on the plot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phy posted:

You can play it here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Yakuza is soap opera

Yakuza is the soapiest soap opera to ever soap.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Yakuza is the soapiest soap opera to ever soap.

I've only played the Lost Paradise spin-off, but it certainly fit the bill. I was a little surprised how goofy the writing got in terms of backstabbing and convoluted relationships.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, just got as far as saving Jimmy's mother and getting her and the Teddybear in the party.

I'm liking the balance of lighthearted fun with the dark creepy stuff, the constant swapping keeps the tension up because you are always waiting for the show to drop. Also some really cute scenes like Buck standing up for Jimmy to the bartender were nice surprises. Also wow the beehive was hosed up.

I also like the sense of freedom, after getting the latest form I went back to the first area to cross the small gaps and ended up being able to climb right to the top of an apparent endgame area with ludicrously strong bizarre creatures. No treasures to find, but it was nice to not be locked out of it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I've only played the Lost Paradise spin-off, but it certainly fit the bill. I was a little surprised how goofy the writing got in terms of backstabbing and convoluted relationships.

That's one of the worst of them so you're in for a treat

Start with Yakuza 0.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like the sense of freedom, after getting the latest form I went back to the first area to cross the small gaps and ended up being able to climb right to the top of an apparent endgame area with ludicrously strong bizarre creatures. No treasures to find, but it was nice to not be locked out of it.

those "endgame areas" are optional dungeons, you can tackle them anytime you feel like you're ready

there's another, easier one in an earlier area, beneath the pile of bikes where you first encountered Punch Tanaka

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Samuringa posted:

Start with Yakuza 0.

It really is the worst. No Majima at all and barely any batting cages.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Start with Yakuza 0.

Push El Burrito posted:

It really is the worst. No Majima at all and barely any batting cages.

I was a big fan of Jagre, so hopefully his spirit lives on in the original franchise through someone else.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm liking the balance of lighthearted fun with the dark creepy stuff, the constant swapping keeps the tension up because you are always waiting for the show to drop. Also some really cute scenes like Buck standing up for Jimmy to the bartender were nice surprises. Also wow the beehive was hosed up.

I don’t think I’m very far into the game still (a lot farther than you, but the game’s pretty dang long from what I understand), but so far one of the things I love is the way it handles mixing the dark stuff and the lighthearted stuff. In a lot of games that try to do something like that, the lighthearted stuff comes across as “fake” - like it only exists so that the developers can pull the rug out from under you and yell “ha! You stupid idiot! You thought the game was going to be happy but it was actually dark!”. The lighter stuff ends up just feeling like a facade that was created only to “trick” the player for the sake of the “twist”. In Jimmy, the lighthearted segments of the game feel more real, in comparison. They don’t just feel like misdirection - they’re genuinely funny and charming, and they have something to say on their own. Because of this, it’s much more effective when something dark does happen, since you care about the setting and characters in a more genuine way. That said, I’m still pretty early in the game, so things may very well change later on (I’m sure it’ll get much darker, since that’s just how stories go, generally). I feel like I’m articulating this badly! Hopefully I was able to get across at least some of what I mean.

Also, the optional dungeons are fantastic. They’re frequently the best part of the game, and they often come out of nowhere. I found one when I stumbled across a random crack that I could break through in the middle of a frozen lake. I assumed it was just going to lead to a bit of treasure, but it ended up being one of the coolest sequences I’ve seen in an indie rpg.

Good game. I need to play it more. I might switch it to easy, though - the game’s combat certainly isn’t bad, but I’m a lot more interested in other aspects of the game (and lowering the encounter rate sounds great on its own).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zinkraptor posted:

Also, the optional dungeons are fantastic. They’re frequently the best part of the game, and they often come out of nowhere. I found one when I stumbled across a random crack that I could break through in the middle of a frozen lake. I assumed it was just going to lead to a bit of treasure, but it ended up being one of the coolest sequences I’ve seen in an indie rpg.

THat was the one I literally just did this minute. Died at the boss though, he's a hard one. I'll need plenty of sleep resistance.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

(RE: Jimmy)

It's rare that a game can take a concept like Spooky Math Dungeon and pull it off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Onto the boss at Mute Notes now (not past it yet so mark any spoilers for later in the game)- I like that The Mass is a likable villain. It's not just killing because that's what it wants, it gets playful about it. It's specifically out to kill you but not before torturing everything you love. After randomly murdering two people because they are there, it just calmly chats to you about it: "Did you like the presents I made for you? I so wanted to give you your own organs, but there were just so many people around I had to make do!" It's not just a malevolent force of destruction, it's having a lot of fun doing it. You know it's gonna make a mess, but it's just a matter of how.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I've only ever watched an LP of it but I love the characterisation of the Mass as a villain that's overwhelmingly powerful but completely focused on you. Other RPGs have villains which are driven by trauma or a need for validation or misguided idealism, but the Mass hates you specifically and will tear apart your entire world and everything you love just because it knows it'll get a rise out of you.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I haven't played Jimmy yet, but is the whole thing a cancer allegory that ends with Jimmy dying? Distinctly got that impression from what little I know about the game, and I want to know if I'm right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't played Jimmy yet, but is the whole thing a cancer allegory that ends with Jimmy dying? Distinctly got that impression from what little I know about the game, and I want to know if I'm right.

You are 100% correct its why I couldnt play it despite it being my jam otherwise.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm playing subnautica again since I haven't played it since the full release. It's great, but finding all the basic tools and the seaglide/moth is a pain, and not being able to craft multiples at once is a time waster.

The new stuff is cool though, the changes to the mountain island thing really impressed me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Whybird posted:

Yeah, I've only ever watched an LP of it but I love the characterisation of the Mass as a villain that's overwhelmingly powerful but completely focused on you. Other RPGs have villains which are driven by trauma or a need for validation or misguided idealism, but the Mass hates you specifically and will tear apart your entire world and everything you love just because it knows it'll get a rise out of you.

I haven't played this game, but now I'm interested, because god drat that's a gut punch of a way to make an RPG villain realistic. It's not a monster, it's a bully.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played this game, but now I'm interested, because god drat that's a gut punch of a way to make an RPG villain realistic. It's not a monster, it's a bully.

that's exactly what the Pulsating Mass is, yes

the entire game takes place in an eight-year old's imagination (this isn't a spoiler, it's right on the Steam page), so it makes sense that the main antagonist in all its gory horror would still essentially be that one kid at recess who'd shove you headfirst into a wall just to laugh at your tears

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jimmy seems to have it all figured out, even the reason everything is so bonkers and the characters behave nothing like actual people. That's something I think other Earthbound-inspired games struggle with.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I really appreciate it when a game has a ‘percentage complete’ tracker.

I don’t have a lot of play time so I like to know how far along I am. For example, I finished Okami recently and, despite the fact that I enjoyed playing it, it started to drag when I kept expecting it to finish and... it didn’t. If I’d have known how far through the game I was, I could have parcelled out my play time accordingly.

It’s also satisfying to hit eighty-odd percent and feel like I’ve got my money’s worth.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Robert J. Omb posted:

I really appreciate it when a game has a ‘percentage complete’ tracker.

I don’t have a lot of play time so I like to know how far along I am. For example, I finished Okami recently and, despite the fact that I enjoyed playing it, it started to drag when I kept expecting it to finish and... it didn’t. If I’d have known how far through the game I was, I could have parcelled out my play time accordingly.

It’s also satisfying to hit eighty-odd percent and feel like I’ve got my money’s worth.

Yeah, but the reverse happens for me when the percentage includes piddly poo poo you don’t care about as well.
I absolutely loath when the percent claims I’m nowhere near 100 and then suddenly the story ends and I find out that most of the stuff it was counting was tedious collectibles.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sad lions posted:

Yeah, but the reverse happens for me when the percentage includes piddly poo poo you don’t care about as well.
I absolutely loath when the percent claims I’m nowhere near 100 and then suddenly the story ends and I find out that most of the stuff it was counting was tedious collectibles.

I can't think of the titles right now, but there have definitely been a few games in the last few years that have a Story Completion percentage and a Total Completion percentage, and I wish those were more common.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okami is a pretty strong contender for player fatigue, because it pulls what you could reasonably believe to be the final dungeon after about 15-20 hours of gameplay...and you're roughly a third of the way through the game. The main reliable way to track your progress is through the weapons UI, which has 15 slots for weapons. You don't get all 15 of them until fairly close to the end.

I think my favorite percentage counter is Metroid Fusion's. There it doesn't even show up until after you've beaten the game, so you can't get spoiled on how close you are to the end. Once you do, though, it'll tell you for each zone how many items you have left to find in that zone. Other games in the genre will just tell you "across the entire game world, there's 1 item left! Good luck!" but Fusion at least tells you roughly where to focus your search.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think my favorite percentage counter is Metroid Fusion's. There it doesn't even show up until after you've beaten the game, so you can't get spoiled on how close you are to the end. Once you do, though, it'll tell you for each zone how many items you have left to find in that zone. Other games in the genre will just tell you "across the entire game world, there's 1 item left! Good luck!" but Fusion at least tells you roughly where to focus your search.

Metroid's found a bunch of different, great ways to help out collectable hunts ever since Super decided to put a dot on a map square where an item was. Zero Mission (and possibly Fusion, I didn't play it) has different kinds of map dots for collected items vs. ones you haven't grabbed yet, the Prime series had all collectables make a subtle but distinctive humming sound, Prime 3 had one collectible itself be making all the other collectibles visible on the map...

I feel like, unique among games that have completion percentages and the like, Metroid consistently wants you to find everything they've hidden. Even Zelda is routinely very cagey about where secrets are, but Metroid's actually kind of encouraging, it's nice.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’ve been replaying Arkham Asylum and I really like how they handle the Riddler stuff. You find maps that tell you where to find everything eventually, and each area has a breakdown of what exactly you have and haven’t found, so if you finish the game and are missing one out some two hundred riddles, you don’t need to hunt the entire world, you can look and see exactly what you’re missing and roughly where to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Retro Futurist posted:

I’ve been replaying Arkham Asylum and I really like how they handle the Riddler stuff. You find maps that tell you where to find everything eventually, and each area has a breakdown of what exactly you have and haven’t found, so if you finish the game and are missing one out some two hundred riddles, you don’t need to hunt the entire world, you can look and see exactly what you’re missing and roughly where to find it.

I like when he says that you are just looking the answers from the internet.