Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t know how much an Alamo Drafthouse ticket costs because I’ve never been to one, but I think it sucks rear end that seeing a movie in theaters without people browsing their phones, talking, and chewing with their Goddamn mouth open is considered a “premium” experience nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know how it works in the comics, but if Sam is the new Captain America isn't he at a huge disadvantage because he's not a super soldier? Isn't he just a regular guy with a fancy wing suit?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sebastian Stan is under contract for four more movies so what the hell is he going to do if he's not the new Captain America?

edit: whoops forgot tags

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 25, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Necrothatcher posted:

This film is going to be enormous. Like, monstrous box office potential. The only thing holding it back is that its run time means cinemas can only show it so many times a day.

My local super old theater is dealing with it by not just showing it in the main theater but also in one of the two smaller theaters. Basically 3/4 of their capacity at least this weekend is Endgame showings.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So when Dr Strange comes back does he just roll up to Tony like "See, told ya so"

He ends up near Stark during the final battle and Stark says, "You said one in 14 million we win, tell me this is it."

Strange replies, "If I tell you, it won't happen."

And Stark says, "You'd better be right."

Then they get split up until the very end of the fight where Strange gives a slight '1' gesture to Tony.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

God, I don't even know what to say about this movie.

My number one thing is that I was actively annoyed by how much it refused to be earnest about anything. "I KNOW YOU'LL THINK OF BILL AND TED AND BACK TO THE FUTURE WHILE WATCHING THIS SO LET ME REFERENCE IT SO YOU DONT GET SNARKIER THAN THIS MOVIE YOURE WATCHING" kind of stuff was so actively loving annoying.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't know how it works in the comics, but if Sam is the new Captain America isn't he at a huge disadvantage because he's not a super soldier? Isn't he just a regular guy with a fancy wing suit?

Yes, but you know, so are Hawkeye and Widow. It's not really a big deal that Sam doesn't have 'powers', but it could be a plot point to see if that causes others, or Sam himself, doubt about him wielding the name and shield.

Darko posted:

God, I don't even know what to say about this movie.

My number one thing is that I was actively annoyed by how much it refused to be earnest about anything. "I KNOW YOU'LL THINK OF BILL AND TED AND BACK TO THE FUTURE WHILE WATCHING THIS SO LET ME REFERENCE IT SO YOU DONT GET SNARKIER THAN THIS MOVIE YOURE WATCHING" kind of stuff was so actively loving annoying.

I thought that was kind of worth it for the Hot Tub Time Machine joke.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 25, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

Yes, but you know, so are Hawkeye and Widow. It's not really a big deal that Sam doesn't have 'powers', but it could be a plot point to see if that causes others, or Sam himself, doubt about him wielding the name and shield.

I thought that was kind of worth it for the Hot Tub Time Machine joke.

I mean, it won't even embrace its dramatic "we're going to solve this problem dramatic walking" scene without loving joking about it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I liked the movie well enough and the incredible "Hot Takes" in this forum from people who have not seen it yet are real dumb. I appreciate how they handled the stones as a plot device, getting them from the past was an okay thing, although maybe not the most interesting possible movie from an ENDGAME perspective, but the stones being really dangerous to use sticking the entire way through the movies is good. We see that using them all at once twice was enough to gently caress up Thanos near death, it cripples one of Banner Hulk's arms and at no point was Captain Marvel, the person most likely to take 0 damage, really in a position to try putting it on. Tony taking it and dying to stop Thanos is actually a very well done moment, because we know it's going to kill him, physically tougher and stronger people have drat near died doing what he does. The ultimate implication, really, is that no mortal being could possibly hope to wield and use all 5 stones no matter the containment method, so they can't fix everything perfectly and never could.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I get to see this movie in a bit. Was not expecting to. What a nice surprise. OH BOY.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My only real issue with it, minor as it is if Thor took Mjolnir from the past back with him then does that not mean Thor in that time is without it? We saw Cap keep it after all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My only real issue with it, minor as it is if Thor took Mjolnir from the past back with him then does that not mean Thor in that time is without it? We saw Cap keep it after all.

The movie does not give two shits about its time travel implications and consequences.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

The movie does not give two shits about its time travel implications and consequences.

It makes sure you know it's not taking itself seriously so you dont worry about such things. It's basically Ragnarok levels of silly without going into full comedy mode.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Bacon Terrorist posted:

He doesn't have it when hes sat on the bench. Chances are he just left it back in Asgard where it should have been when he dropped the stone/violent red goo back into Natalie Portman.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

teagone posted:

The movie does not give two shits about its 'time travel implications and consequences.

It cares enough to say 'shut up, this is how it works in the story we're telling'.

One question, one wish:

Q. Did anything ever come of "you're not the only one cursed with knowledge"? I was waiting for the callback where it's revealed that Infinity War Thanos knew everything that was going to happen because he was actually the Thanos they were fighting in the second half, but it never came.

And the Wish: When Thanos said he was going to wipe out the whole universe and replace it there was a real missed opportunity to have a Thanos snap and then when the screen fades back it's a momentarily disorientated Ben Affleck in the Batman suit being asked by Jeremy Irons if he's alright.
]

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FiftySeven posted:

He doesn't have it when hes sat on the bench. Chances are he just left it back in Asgard where it should have been when he dropped the stone/violent red goo back into Natalie Portman.

:hmmyes:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Presumably Captain America returned it at the end when he was returning the stones. I seem to recall he had it when he went to put all the stones back. The only thing I don't think I caught how they resolved was Loki escaping with the Tesseract in the past.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

HologramX posted:

We had staff enter the theatre in the last few minutes of the film and no-one was even allowed to look at a phone, the whole $10000 fine (in NZ).

I was a bit gutted that there was no post-credits scene, I'd been hoping for a glimpse at the FF4, or the X-Men, or Deadpool and Cable... I was a bit confused by the clanging, which I've read some people thinking it's a callback to the original Iron Man but there was an article on one of our news sites that 'explained' who the kid from Tony Stark's funeral was the kid from Iron Man 3, who he (Stark) had sent a bunch of electronic stuff, and maybe it's him (the kid) building some sort of suit.

Post credit scene would have probably been less a boon and more an hindrance for Phase 4, mainly if the production team still needs to puts the finishing touches on what will be the next McGuffin and who will be the next villain.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PaybackJack posted:

Presumably Captain America returned it at the end when he was returning the stones. I seem to recall he had it when he went to put all the stones back. The only thing I don't think I caught how they resolved was Loki escaping with the Tesseract in the past.

That and Gamora probably not having any reason to go after Starlord and the purple stone since Thanos died, however if you consider that Nebula didn't fade out of time like we supposed she should after she killed herself means that the time travel in this movie creates parallel dimensions, and the grandfather paradox in the MCU does not hold to be a problem. It's also the reason why the option of going to visit Baby Thanos was discarded.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
That was okay. It was fine. Not as good as the last one.

Best bit was Chad Hulk

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord_Magmar posted:

I liked the movie well enough and the incredible "Hot Takes" in this forum from people who have not seen it yet are real dumb. [...] The ultimate implication, really, is that no mortal being could possibly hope to wield and use all 5 stones no matter the containment method, so they can't fix everything perfectly and never could.

People are pointing out that it's absolutely contrived - and not in the way that all movies are contrived. Characters just randomly declare that things have to happen, and they do without any logic behind it. So when you think about it for 25 seconds it's like "wait, Steve Rogers basically rapes a clone of Peg Carter at the end of the film. He's not the man she fell in love with, because that guy is still alive and just missing in action." And I'm sure the music's telling you this is a good thing, and the characters are acting like it's a good thing - but it's not a good thing. It's an awful thing.

In the part you've spoilered above: the choice between 'absolute perfection' and 'doing nothing except deleting the baddies in an alternate dimension' is a totally false binary choice. You're telling me Thor can give up the use of his left arm to end slavery, but that's just too much of a sacrifice and slavery has to stay? Keep in mind that fuckin boring-rear end humans on Earth gave Bucky an unbreakable replacement arm without any problems. Age Of Ultron and Iron Man 3 both established incredible regeneration technology, Thor himself already has a bionic eye, and so-on.

The glove itself can be used to fix people's arms! I mean, why not?

Each of the 'Vengers can die to make a wish and then use the last wish to bring them all back from the dead. That obviously works, because they bring back roughly 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lifeforms - on Earth alone - near the end of this film.

It's absolutely horseshit that Stark dies at the end. And it's even more horseshit that "this is the only way it could happen."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 25, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's absolutely horseshit that Stark dies at the end. And it's even more horseshit that "this is the only way it could happen."

Why didn't superman just give the spear to wonder woman to stab doomsday?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm sorry but that whole ten seconds of GIRL POWER with the swelling music and dramatic lady action was one of the stupidest and funniest things I've seen all year

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Each of the 'Vengers can die to make a wish and then use the last wish to bring them all back from the dead. That obviously works, because they bring back roughly 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lifeforms - on Earth alone - near the end of this film.

Yeah literally don't think at all about the snap and the implications of half the living things disappearing and then, and this would be the real poo poo storm, suddenly reappearing 5 years later. Famines etc.

Scott going out and noticing that there are more birds was a nice moment though, should have led with that not the phone call.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Thor or Hulk or Captain Marvel could have totally used the stones to bring Tony back or anyone else who had died that they care about. That was never imposed as a limitation. Also, singular stones, like reality, could be used to fix any withered arms and such. Every protagonist is as dumb as Thanos was in the first movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Because he's stronger than she is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Stabbing Doomsday with the spear worked for Superman and the spear didn't kill him.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Because he's stronger than she is.

but they never established that with a headbutting scene

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Well, it’s Infinity War 2 to be sure. The post-snap world isn’t framed as apocalyptic or even post-apocalyptic. Like, the basis its working from is that the failure of Thanos-A plan is on this level of the survivors being ungrateful.

Also the fashion in which they bring everyone back raises some strange basic questions, before even getting into the wider implications. So, people rematerialise where they died five years ago, but what if they were in space on a ship that’s no longer there? or were on a flight and the plane is no longer there?

Further still, what if someone rematerialised inside a present-day person as they’re walking along a sidewalk, or sitting in a restaurant, or inside the engine block of a car/in the middle of traffic if they were driving etc. The question of just what half of all life means in the context of Infinity War and how it dances around this, again looms large.

Also the Banner-Hulk situation felt very reminiscent of how Jarvis was cannibalised in the creation of Vision. And yeah, the Cap-A ending is a lot like the unsettling ending of Source Code played as heartwarming sentiment - so while he’s deceiving Peggy B, Hydra proliferates through Stark and the American Imperial project?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bedshaped posted:

but they never established that with a headbutting scene

Right: in the film, Superman doesn't even know who this strong woman is. How would he know her power levels, level of invulnerabilty, etc.? He flies full-force into Doomsday and the spear barely goes in.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 25, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I definitely feel like the script was written on the basis that each of the original Avengers actors could choose whether they wanted to do any more movies or not.

I don't think there are any fundamental problems with the story, the contrivances are the same as any other superhero movie. I think my two criticisms would be: Firstly; Endgame was much less good at managing a large ensemble cast than Infinity War was. This problem becomes more prominent as the film goes on. Secondly; the film doesn't play it as if Thanos killed half of all life, it plays it as if 9/10 of the population were wiped out. We're at 7bn now. The population in 1960 was 3bn. The post Infinity-War Earth is more crowded than the Earth Captain America left in 1945. Yeah everyone would be dealing with loss but if they wanted the empty cities and crumbling civilisation vibe they went with then they should have just killed far more people.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Literally don't think about the plot it doesn't make sense the setting doesn't make sense none of it makes sense. Some of the character moments were good and that's enough, it was fine. It was okay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll always enjoy how they don't give the Greek warrior the javelin

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

She was busy holding him in one place with her lasso.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, Captain Marvel had the gauntlet for at least a minute of screen time. Walking with it tucked under her arm.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It will be interesting to see if any one of the future MCU writers, especially Far From Home, will actually engage with the hosed up world they have created by having literally half the world population jump forward 5 years into this hellworld where everyone's friends and family are 5 years older and homeless people have moved into all the empty mansions or will they just lampshade it away.

I've never used that phrase before, is that correct? I lampshade, he lampshade, they all lampshaded? It's basically what GoT has become.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Darko posted:

Also, Captain Marvel had the gauntlet for at least a minute of screen time. Walking with it tucked under her arm.

Speaking of, the climax devolved into a big football play but with GIRL POWER.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bedshaped posted:

It will be interesting to see if any one of the future MCU writers, especially Far From Home, will actually engage with the hosed up world they have created by having literally half the world population jump forward 5 years into this hellworld where everyone's friends and family are 5 years older and homeless people have moved into all the empty mansions or will they just lampshade it away.

I've never used that phrase before, is that correct? I lampshade, he lampshade, they all lampshaded? It's basically what GoT has become.

I think you mean handwave

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

As Nero Danced posted:

Speaking of, the climax devolved into a big football play but with GIRL POWER.

Seriously, are there any ladies who think those parts are cool? I loving cringed at the GIRL BATTLE in the second one and I cringed even harder at the WE GIRLS GOT YOUR BACK GIRL scene in this one. It just feels patronizing as hell, but at least they're over with quickly because lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Quote is not edit!